Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

UVMOD101 Tutorial *Massive Pic Bomb, All you need to know about UV Mod.

views

TSAlamakLor
post Jan 27 2005, 12:29 PM, updated 19y ago

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

UVMOD101
Before even getting into the real deal, lets get the some terms straighten up.

1) fluorescent (AKA Neon) Color, is highly reactive with UV ray.
2) UV is also know as Blacklight, its not harmful so dont worry about exposing to it too much. The REAL UV Ray is harmful though.
3) CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) is the commonly used lighting in case mod. CCFL comes in a bunch of different colors; however, only UV CCFL can bring out the most shine from fluro stuff.
4) Single UV vs dual UV = its really just quantity difference....1 apple vs 2 apples.

What You Need for UV Mod?
1) Fluorescent Paper/ Fluorescent Sticker*
2) Double Sided Tape*
3) Fluorescent Paint**
4) Blade/Scissors*
5) Fluro Techflex(sleeve)
6) Electrical Tape/ Heatshrink**
7) Ruler*
8) Hole Puncher*
9) Uv reactive Fans and Accessories***

*You can get these from Popular Bookstore, or most stationary stores.
**Most hardware stores carry these.
***Widely Available in LYP, I prefer getting them from robyncom. Alternatively, try the bulk/garage section.

Which of these are optional? That depends on What kind of things your gonna use. Continue Reading.

How Many UV CCFL Do I Need?
You will need at least 2 x 12" UV CCFL minimum, I use 4 tubes as it covers almost every angle of my rig. anyhow, it depends on the size of your casing.

CCFL Placement
Here is an example of how I place my CCFL. It basically covers every single angle in my rig. If You've got only two tubes, have one placed on the top and another at the bottom.
user posted image
Please excuse the messy setup as ive yet to tidy it up.

What do you consider as a nice UV mod?
There arent many UV mods out there that caught my eye, most of them are either lacking in highlights, or overly highlighted. One of the biggest mistake that I've seen is people sleeving their whole PSU with Fluro Techflex(sleeve), I find it freaking messy when it comes to presentation. When modding a UV theme, try to highlight only things that you believe is "worth showing", there is really no point sleeving all the cables in your rig, I'd rather have most of them sleeved in black and hidden. (one exception though.....full acrylic casing smile.gif ) So, what are the things that's worth highlighting? Here is a checklist for you:

Checklist:
1) Fan Grill
2) Fan Blade
3) Fan Frame
4) PCB Sides
5) Top of the heatsink's fins
6) CPU retension bracket
7) IDE/SATA Cables (show only certain parts)
8) Other Cables (choose only cables you wanan show)
9) 3 pin fan connectors
10) Molex
11) Ram Slot
12) PCI Slot
13) Capacitors
14) Ram Chips

How To Mod?
Fluro Sticker:
You can try to find them in stationary shops, or you can make them yourself. How do you make it? Well...its really simple....just stick the back of a fluorescent paper with doublesided tape and viola biggrin.gif u've got your own fluorescent sticker laugh.gif

Fans:
PAINT
You may paint them with fluro paint. I wont go into details of how to remove the fan and such, you can find guides regarding that matter in modding faq stickies.

STICKER
user posted image

You may use hole puncher, and punch out some round shape sticker and ahve them stuck on your fan blades as seen in the above picture. when the fan started to spin, you would be able to see a glowing ring. you may also use the same trick to make the whole fan glow, that could be done by sticking a row of the rounded sticker vertically along the fan blades. I figure out this trick a few months ago, its less risky, than painting the fan, doesnt put on much weight to the fan like paint do, and you can customize the colors anytime you want. the only disadvantage of this mod is that the sticker might come lose if the fan get too dusty.
user posted image
user posted image

Capacitors:
PAINT
You can paint the caps as well, Its permanent and there have been a couple of cases that the paint sipped into the caps and caused the mobo to malfunction. Do it at your own risk.

STICKER
Using the same hole puncher trick, punch a bunch of round shape sticker out and place them on the caps smile.gif

Heat Sink Fins
user posted image
PAINT
Painting the tip of the fins is probably the easiest way to get this job done.

STICKER
Alternatively, you can measure the tip of the heatsink fin's dimension and cut out the appropriate dimension from the fluorescent sticker....this is really a PITA and I've done that for my Abit's flower NB hsf. the dimension was 1mm X 2mm. Took me an hour to "UV" the nb hsf.

PCB Side
user posted image
PAINT
Again, probably the best way to have get this job done.

STICKER
Yet again, you can cut out the appropriate dimension and stick the sticker on the pcb side.

PCI & Ram Slot
user posted image
STICKER
The same method, cut and stick. thats the only way you can do it. otherwise, you might wanna buy Vantec's UV Slot cover...which I find that they barely glow.

Other Cables
user posted image
PAINT
You can paint them if you want, but the paint would not stick on cables with silky surface. i.e. sunbeam's CCFL cable.

Techflex(sleeve)
Best method here smile.gif

Have Fun laugh.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Jan 27 2005, 12:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

Something a little extreme:
user posted image
done with BIC Gel pen. though the pen is not conductive, there is always a small chance that it would fry things out.

temporarily pinned
Guide Added to Case Mod FAQ
sendo
post Jan 27 2005, 12:40 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

wah...nice thread....thanks to our new MOD....
pukarix
post Jan 27 2005, 01:24 PM

Regular
1,053 posts

-post deleted-

This post has been edited by pukarix: Jul 2 2012, 09:35 AM
SkyD
post Jan 27 2005, 10:43 PM

..l..(^o^)..l..
964 posts

wink.gif nice... but alamaklor... i m more interested to ur mod...
morph
post Jan 28 2005, 12:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,657 posts

Very Useful Guide thumbup.gif
TSAlamakLor
post Jan 28 2005, 01:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(SkyD @ Jan 27 2005, 11:43 AM)
wink.gif  nice... but alamaklor... i m more interested to ur mod...
um...thats my mod, and thats all the tricks i used to mod my rig
ivandj
post Jan 28 2005, 07:06 AM

On my way
576 posts

Good idea . Gonna start my next rig with some Uv''s . Thanks ;D
SUSAllnGap
post Jan 28 2005, 11:39 PM

[ Modding with Passion(tm) ]
4,561 posts

respect to the new mod, very dedicated modder indeed....
zamree7
post Jan 29 2005, 07:10 PM

Casual
322 posts

waaa... nice...
isit all flourescent color have the uv effect...
TSAlamakLor
post Jan 30 2005, 02:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(zamree7 @ Jan 29 2005, 08:10 AM)
waaa... nice...
isit all flourescent color have the uv effect...
i thought its all being said in the tutorial already? there are only a couple of fluorescent colors, fluorescent colors are the most uv reactive colors, so yes.....
gavlim
post Jan 30 2005, 05:31 PM

i'm too sexy for my girlfriend
1,487 posts

that BIC gel pen mod.. OMFG thats so cool. like something out of Tron. when u say "a small chance that it would fry things out", since its non conductive, what would the short circuit be due to? how long has that card been running with the gel pen mod?
hao
post Jan 30 2005, 05:46 PM

Quills™
5,469 posts

QUOTE(AlamakLor @ Jan 27 2005, 12:30 PM)
Something a little extreme:
user posted image
done with BIC Gel pen. though the pen is not conductive, there is always a small chance that it would fry things out.

temporarily pinned
Guide Added to Case Mod FAQ
Nice, time and patience are really needed for it. But it does really pay off!
TSAlamakLor
post Jan 30 2005, 06:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

QUOTE(gavlim @ Jan 30 2005, 06:31 AM)
that BIC gel pen mod.. OMFG thats so cool. like something out of Tron. when u say "a small chance that it would fry things out", since its non conductive, what would the short circuit be due to? how long has that card been running with the gel pen mod?
some stuff, when they say its non conductive...it doesnt mean its 100% non conductive. there is a very very small chance that it could suddenly conduct electricity and short things out. ill give u an example....AS5...its non conductive...but there is still a chance that it would short ur processor out if u were just unlucky.

eventhough i like uv mod pretty much, and my main rig is only powered by a <RM300 FX5200...im not gonna take the risk of drawing the pcb. even without this mod.....aint my rig nice enough? laugh.gif tongue.gif
beehawk
post Feb 14 2005, 01:23 PM

Miutiful
1,281 posts

what brand r there with those uv ccfl??

ur's is pure uv light with some purple color rite??

TSAlamakLor
post Feb 15 2005, 01:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

UV is purplish, no other color. whether it looks blue or pink in picture is just due to the camera's exposure.

those are sunbeam. other than the northbridge fan, it is pure uv.
Xonius
post Feb 15 2005, 11:56 AM

Y U NO MAD???
1,113 posts

Wow, sweet, i was just starting to make a UV rig myself, what i really really want to know now is where do i get the UV accessories, i mean the UV fans/sleeving kit/CCFLs?/Cabling if possible please recommend us the shops themselves (in Low Yat), cus its pretty hard to find decent shops selling those kind of stuff, either they will be overpriced or not much choices. I'm looking forward to buy 3x 80mm + 1x 120mm UV fans, as well as a few nice and bright colored UV sleeving kits, not to mention the CCFLs themselves. If anyone want to recommend their favourite shop(s) to buy these stuff pls do so, cus i will be visiting them smile.gif

Another thing, does the Vantec UV LED fans looks nicer than the normal UV fans? cus i'm considering to buy those instead of the plain UVs, if so, where can i get them? Thanks for your advice, and once i complete my full UV rig, i'll definitely post a pic of it biggrin.gif

BTW, how much do u think a well built UV rig would cost? any estimates? care to name the average prices of UV accessories (fans/sleeving kits/cables/ccfls/etc.)? thanks again. (i'm referring to lowyat prices though)

This post has been edited by Xonius: Feb 15 2005, 11:58 AM
TSAlamakLor
post Feb 15 2005, 12:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
9,856 posts

my favorite shop for uv stuff is Robyncom. However, ultimately it the stuff will be purchased at the store that could offer the lowest price....so u have to search around in lyp anyway.

Normal UV fans (non led version) are actually better than vantec spectrum, when building a uv theme.....stay away from LEDs, as their concentrated, intensive light would wash off the fluorescent reflection. additionally, when it's too bright, shadow appear. so if you can, try to find plain fluooro/neon dans instead "UV led" fan.

price wise....the minimum u need is 4 tubes of UV CCFL, that would cost about RM80-90. other stuff are optional as you can either sticker mod them, or paint them.
pilotHans
post Feb 15 2005, 09:19 PM

scuderia ferrari pit crew (" ,)
2,525 posts

AlamakLor the UV man.... tongue.gif

thumbup.gif nice tread.....very useful for my upcoming mod project...
now i know a lot about UV stuff......will pin up this tread in my favorites.. rolleyes.gif

thanx mr new dedicated n hardworking moderator notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
yuckfou
post Feb 16 2005, 06:52 PM

L.O.V.E R.I.P
2,249 posts

Really appreciate the effort you put into this thread AlamakLor.
since im near popular in kl, im gonna go buy sum paper n tape after tis =)

20 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0256sec    0.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:47 AM