Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Windows 7 Pricing

views

tyssxp
post Oct 22 2009, 06:02 PM

Happy~~
863 posts

Hey just notice that some of the shop in Lowyat sells Windows 7 Home Premium retail in 32 bit only. I thought retail got both the 32 bits and 64 bits?

tyssxp
post Oct 26 2009, 05:59 PM

Happy~~
863 posts

QUOTE(secondrate @ Oct 26 2009, 03:06 PM)
Cycom is selling now.
But Cycom is selling the retail Home Premium in 32 bits only based on Cycom's pricelist. Is it suppose to be like that?
tyssxp
post Oct 26 2009, 10:56 PM

Happy~~
863 posts

QUOTE(oucheev @ Oct 26 2009, 08:21 PM)
That is odd. If its retail Home Premium, it should come with both 32 & 64 bit. I have asked the same question at the Cycom thread and getting no reply yet.

If they give only 32 bit disc and claim its the retail Home Premium, then I think its unethical. I suspect they are selling 64 bit separately. Anyone can confirm?
I also suspect the same. Anyway, I'll wait and see. Gonna ask around for more info first.
tyssxp
post Oct 26 2009, 11:27 PM

Happy~~
863 posts

Not to say they sell separately, I say they MIGHT sell the 64 bits at a higher price than the 32 bits. So if let's say you want 64 bits, they take the retail Win 7 and said since it's 64 bits, it will be a bit tad expensive. You buy the 64 bits DVD and they throw away the 32 bits. Anyway, just a thought, since I can't find any reason for them to state 32 bits in their pricelist anyway unless it's an error on their side.
tyssxp
post Oct 27 2009, 02:30 PM

Happy~~
863 posts

Hmm, there's no Home Premium retail? tongue.gif
tyssxp
post Oct 27 2009, 04:59 PM

Happy~~
863 posts

QUOTE(cybpsych @ Oct 27 2009, 03:42 PM)
Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_ins...grade_media.asp
Well after reading the article, it seems that the upgrade kit is a viable option provided that you have a legitimate copy of the earlier version of Windows. Never got the chance to try it yet. Plan to get a copy of Windows 7 retail anyway.
tyssxp
post Oct 28 2009, 10:01 AM

Happy~~
863 posts

^ Well of course I'm want to be ethical tongue.gif else there's no stopping me from getting it somewhere else whistling.gif
tyssxp
post Oct 28 2009, 11:12 AM

Happy~~
863 posts

QUOTE(TitaniumZ @ Oct 28 2009, 10:25 AM)
sweat.gif That's not ehtical issue but legal issue liao.
I'm not suggesting people to use illegal Windows but I don't think it's illegal to use a upgrade disk on a new hdd i.e. there wasn't any OS installed previously. People buy genuine Windows, use a genuine product key to activate, no hacking/modification, and they are upgrading from NO WINDOWS (still consider as an upgrade to me), so I believe it's perfectly legal but not ethical enough unless the requirement of a previous legal Windows is stated in the EULA. (If anyone ever read the EULA)
Even if one is upgrading frm an illegal Windows, the law he breaks is actually owning a pirated software but the upgrade itself is still legal. and I think Microsoft is actually encourage people to transform their pirated copy into genuine one by selling genuine producy key to them, so I don't think upgrading from a pirated windows into a genuine windows is offensive.
Can anyone enlight me on this?  hmm.gif
I do agree that it's not illegal to perform a clean install on a new hard disk. And yes, I also agree the upgrade procedure itself is legal even you're doing it on a pirated software. i didn't read the EULA but I do think you need to own a legitimate copy of previous Windows to legally use the upgrade pack. If you did not own any previous, you should obtain the OEM or retail, instead of the upgrade. That's my 2 cents tongue.gif
tyssxp
post Oct 28 2009, 01:21 PM

Happy~~
863 posts

QUOTE(jasonkwk @ Oct 28 2009, 12:26 PM)
is Win7 32 and 64 bit package sold separately regardless of the retail or OEM?
If not mistaken, retail has both while OEM only got either one of the two. Anyway, anyone manage to get their hands on retail home premium? I got problem finding in Lowyat shops.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0200sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:47 AM