Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Shoes for (real) men

views

thelibran.kl P
post Nov 15 2021, 09:47 AM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(BacktoBasics @ Sep 6 2021, 08:54 AM)
Yeah I am aware it is not going to be cheap.

One of the reasons for GYW shoes is that it is possible to resole and not to ditch away those shoes with nice patina.

Whats more important is that high quality leather shoes / boots that has molded to your feet nicely already. hahaha

Wonder if our neighbouring country, Singapore has cobblers that fixes GYW shoes...
Ironicaally, all our neighbouring countries have craftsman that resole GYW shoes, but not us sweat.gif
thelibran.kl P
post Nov 15 2021, 09:57 AM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(ngkwdaniel @ Oct 15 2021, 09:09 PM)
Does anyone know any good cobbler in KL/PJ who can do resole for Onitsuka tiger?
Love the pig skin lining on the Onitsuka tiger that I cannot bear to see them in bin
Your best option is Cobblerman at Jaya One.
thelibran.kl P
post Nov 15 2021, 10:06 AM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(nocko @ Sep 10 2021, 09:48 AM)
hey shoes sifus,

been a sneaker head and wanting to get some (real) shoes to mix in my wardrobe.

any recommendation for styles that can be for formal and casual? or should i have separate shoes?
There is no straightforward answer to this.
Ultimately, it is best to have separate shoes.
But to answer your question, my best recommendations are single monk straps and Chelsea boots.

thelibran.kl P
post Nov 16 2021, 09:19 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(ngkwdaniel @ Oct 15 2021, 09:09 PM)
Does anyone know any good cobbler in KL/PJ who can do resole for Onitsuka tiger?
Love the pig skin lining on the Onitsuka tiger that I cannot bear to see them in bin
You can try Cobblerman at Jaya One.
thelibran.kl P
post Nov 16 2021, 09:40 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Nov 1 2021, 12:46 PM)
Dear all sifus, I wish to purchase my first ever Goodyear welted shoe from Skolyx. Wish to ask, is it all the Goodyear welted shoe is 1 size smaller than my normal sneaker size?

I am wearing Nike UK10 now, mean I should get UK9 for Goodyear welted shoe?
Like the other sifus mentioned, it is not that straightforward. Even for sneakers, Adidas and Nike follow different standards.
With buying online, it is important to know the measurements of your feet, at least the length and width.
I know that I am a true UK 9 and a UK 9 in Nike, for Adidas I'm a UK 9.5.
If you look at the size guide/list of my goodyear welted shoes on my website, I didn't need to size down from my sneaker size.

thelibrankl d0t c0m shoe-size-guide

For GYW shoes, the Last the shoes are made on affects the fit and every brand has their own Last design.
StyleForum and AskAndy are not good places to understand the fit of shoe brands, as Caucasian's feet are shaped differently and may not apply to Asians.
Plus, when they talk about sizing down 1 size or half size is confusing, as not all of them mean choosing 1 or half size smaller.
Some are just about the conversion from US size to UK size, where by "general" standards is the same size, it's just 1 number smaller.
thelibran.kl P
post Nov 26 2021, 04:38 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Nov 25 2021, 10:48 PM)
Anyone know where to try Goodyear Welted shoe in KL?
P.Lal Store on Jalan Gasing
WJ & Co in Bangsar Shopping Centre
Pre-loved sellers on Carousell/Shopee that are willing to let you try, ie. www.thelibrankl.com
thelibran.kl P
post Dec 31 2021, 06:19 PM

Probation
23 posts

[quote=pixelrider,Dec 27 2021, 05:14 PM]
Late to the discussion, but AFAIK some boot manufacturers in Malaysia actually produce goodyear welted shoes. Look for brands such as Hammerland, Black Hammer, Police, Guzzi...etc on Shopee. I wonder if they will accept request to resole dress shoes?

Yes, I'm guessing these would be made my Kulitkraf which only deals B2B. I've tried contacting them but tak layan. Or if anybody has contacts that works there, maybe can try.
thelibran.kl P
post Jan 12 2022, 11:05 AM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(Jitty @ Jan 3 2022, 11:43 AM)
Hi guys, can recomend any good loafers.

Budget around rm200-250

Thanks ya all sifus.
Preferred those that can tahan lama
For that price range, the best you can get physically are Clark’s at outlets as some of their shoes are Blake Stitched. But, you need to know that not all shoes in a brand are made the same, so you need to know how to identify quality leather and construction as I shared on my blog.

If you are not particular on shoe construction. I have heard good things about Earnest & Collective and Arden Teal.
thelibran.kl P
post Jan 18 2022, 09:43 AM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(rexus @ Jan 17 2022, 10:59 AM)
I see, then I suppose the list should be revised to:

1. Shoe tree
2. Horse hair brush
3. Cream polish

Thanks!
Good to know that you're looking to take care of your shoes more, it makes a lot of difference to its longevity.

If you're going the cream route, then you'll need a cleaner. As creams build up in the leather, you'll need a cleaner to remove old cream, otherwise new application of cream may not reach the leather to nourish them.

Then it comes to the point why a conditioner is needed. Depending on the cleaner you use, cleaners usually dry out the leather and hence, needing a conditioner that moisturises the leather better than cream.
thelibran.kl P
post Jan 18 2022, 10:16 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(rexus @ Jan 18 2022, 09:55 AM)
Ah I see.

What's your suggestion as to:

How often should I reapply the cream?

How often should I use a cleaner?
Shoe care is a routine. If you wear them often, a few times a week, you may want to do the routine once a month. If once a week or lesser, you can stretch it to once every 3 months.

For my shoes, I'll clean, conditioner, cream and wax to a high shine. If got time, I'll mirror shine.
thelibran.kl P
post Jan 19 2022, 05:29 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(rexus @ Jan 18 2022, 10:42 PM)
Cheers. Any suggestion of a cleaner?
I used Saphir Renomat, Saphir Plant Based Cleaner and Pure Polish Cleaner Conditioner before. Personally, I prefer Pure Polish.
thelibran.kl P
post Mar 28 2022, 10:18 AM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Jan 31 2022, 08:29 AM)
Brush off the dust before you put them on and after you take them off and tree them. Leave the shoes overnight with the leather soles exposed to the air (I put the heels on something higher and the toes on the ground) so that they dry properly. This is especially important in our weather. The soles constantly getting wet and being put away not properly dry means that black mold grows easily on the leather. Leather is an organic material after all.

That is pretty much my regular routine.

I cream and wax my shoes and use renovatrice on the welt and heels whenever there are obvious scratches or other incidents throughout the day. I looked at them before and after(when I brushed) so I know if something is different.

I give my shoes a full "treatment" maybe twice a year. I've only used a cleaning agent (renomat) once or twice on my very first pair. Did not seem necessary to me, and I've never used it since. Cleaning of actual dirty stuff I do with a damp cloth. Mold I clean with a damp cloth as well, but the water is 1/3 vinegar.

Edit: I rotate between 3-4 pairs. Frequency of full treatment would probably increase if you only had 1-2 pairs. If you only have 1 and need to use it daily, I strongly recommend getting another. Even if it means getting a Bata/Hush Puppies/Tomaz whatever as a cheap alternative before you buy a real pair.
To add on what niakulah said, brushing before and after wear is really important as dust and debris may get into the pores of the leather, in the long run this build up will cause the leather to crack especially where it creases.

Touch up cream and wax whenever there's scuffs. Reapply conditioner, cream polish and wax polish after every 10 wears as good practice.

My full treatment every 6 months is apply sole guard if soles are leather, clean, condition, cream and wax the whole shoe. Condition the welt and cream and wax sole edge.

Not wearing the same shoe continuously 2 days in a row is also very important. Let the leather to rest, wick away sweat and moisture.
thelibran.kl P
post Mar 28 2022, 10:20 AM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(Holyjolly @ Mar 5 2022, 09:23 PM)
Hi guys, I am not so experienced with leather formal shoe.
I bought a pair of Hush puppies formal shoe in few years back. The whole sole (outsole & heel) is breaking off. I think it is rubber made. That's why I chose it because comfortable to wear.
Just wondering if there is any sole repair / replacement service?
or I should go for another new pair? I am looking for durable & minimalist one, any recommendations?
I believe any cobbler should be able to glue them back together.
If the leather upper and inside lining are still good, why not.

As for recommendation for your new pair, what is your budget??
thelibran.kl P
post Mar 28 2022, 10:29 AM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ Mar 22 2022, 10:05 PM)
Hi guys, when you order a shoe online how do you know that it will fit good?
I am looking at some meermin shoes but unfortunately I don't own  proper dress shoe before, except a pair of clarks leather shoe, so I have no reference on sizing.
Any tips?
Unfortunately, there is no 100% guarantee and substitute for trying the shoes on in person.
As I also buy most of my shoes online, I have created a guide here to assist www.thelibrankl.com/shoe-size-guide/

Took me a lot of trial and error to know which brand and size fits me best.
It is also better to estimate slightly larger than smaller just to get the "perfect" fit.
With a slightly larger shoe you can put insole, heel grip or tongue pads to make it fit.
If it is smaller, it is harder and costlier to stretch or impossible to stretch certain parts.
thelibran.kl P
post Mar 30 2022, 12:22 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ Mar 28 2022, 06:47 PM)
Thanks that's really helpful.
You're most welcome.
Forgot to mention previously, I may not have experience with Meermin but from what I read, they mostly fit true to size.
Yet they may also be different for each person due to what I wrote in my guide.
thelibran.kl P
post Apr 18 2022, 03:33 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Apr 18 2022, 12:38 AM)
Their Loake 1880 is around 1500-1600. They told me their price had increased this year.

BTW, for my shoe. Do I need a Saphir Renovateur?

Or I just use Saphir Medaille Creme - Neutral for the whole shoe and polish with Saphir Medaille Wax Light Brown on the toe & heel area for mirror shine effect.
From your photos, the leather looks like they will accept conditioner and cream as you can see the pores/grain of the leather.
It doesn't look like corrected grain leather, which has that glossy finish that will prevent it from accepting conditioners or cream.
So, good pick bro...my first GYW shoes was Barker too but it was a corrected grain.
If it was corrected grain, conditioners and creams would be useless and won't be able to mirror shine as well (I've tried lol).

The best practice for leather shoe care is to clean, condition, cream and wax every 10 wears (whole day/8-12 hours count as 1 wear).
Never wear the same shoe 2 days in a row, put natural wood shoe trees in them when not wearing and they may last you a lifetime.
YMMV.
thelibran.kl P
post Apr 18 2022, 09:19 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Apr 18 2022, 06:38 PM)
Luckily I found someone that owned the same pair as mine and done mirror shine polish which posted at YouTube. In the below video, that guy only use Saphir Renovateur and Saphir Medaille Light Brown wax. I managed to grab the Saphir Renovateur for RM44 & Saphir Medaille wax for RM48 from Shopee (after used my Shopee coins & Shopee 4.18 discount). Do you recommend I buy the Saphir Medaille Creme 1925 as well?
Wow, you bought them at a great price! Have fun on your journey to achieving a mirror shine!
It may look simple on video but it really takes experience.

Cream is to nourish the leather and rejuvenate colour as it contains colour pigments (unless you buy neutral, which won't have any).
As you wear the shoes, especially lighter coloured shoes, its colour may change and get scuffed.
You can then use cream to bring them back to life like below.
You can't go wrong with Saphir, there are also other great brands like Pure Polish, Boot Black, etc, you need to try and find which one you prefer.

user posted image
thelibran.kl P
post Apr 25 2022, 03:16 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Apr 24 2022, 10:52 PM)
It tooks about 4 hours for me to complete the whole process. Used Saphir Renovateur first then follow with Saphir Light Brown 1925 Creme => Saphir Light brown wax (1 layer on the whole shoe) => Mirror Shine with the same wax at Toe & Heel area. Mirror shine itself took me 1 hour per shoe. πŸ˜…πŸ˜… Quite satisfied with the result since it was my first time. 😊

user posted image
Well done for first try!! A toe cap with a medallion is harder to shine.
How many layers of wax you put before mirror shining?
You can try to build up the mirror shine by letting it rest 1-2 days and shine again.
Example of one of my best shines below.

user posted image
thelibran.kl P
post Apr 25 2022, 09:17 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Apr 25 2022, 05:48 PM)
I think it was around 10 layers, didn't exactly count the number. The wax keep going into the medallions, I need to brush off the wax gently.
Your mirror shine is on another level  rclxms.gif . Will try to build up additional layers on tomorrow.
Cause you're using Saphir and Pate de luxe only, a softer wax which needs more time to dry and set into the pores.
If you put on the layers too quickly, it'll all just rub around and not go into the pores.
Plus, our air very humid, that's why leave it few hours or days to let it set and then shine again.
That's why Saphir also have the Mirror Gloss to assist or speed up the process as it contains more hard wax.
Oh and you may want to get a proper shoe tree with full heels if you want to mirror shine the heels as well.

This mirror shine I did it with Pure Polish. πŸ˜‰
thelibran.kl P
post Apr 27 2022, 12:18 PM

Probation
23 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Apr 26 2022, 01:22 PM)
Yeah, I am looking a pair for cedar shoe trees. Checked you Shopee page and saw you are selling cedar shoe trees but it shown that you are on vacation. Will definitely buy from you once you are back.
Ya, have to close cause I'm under quarantine now.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1036sec    0.26    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:43 PM