Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Shoes for (real) men

views

thelibran.kl P
post Apr 25 2022, 09:17 PM

Probation
22 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Apr 25 2022, 05:48 PM)
I think it was around 10 layers, didn't exactly count the number. The wax keep going into the medallions, I need to brush off the wax gently.
Your mirror shine is on another level  rclxms.gif . Will try to build up additional layers on tomorrow.
Cause you're using Saphir and Pate de luxe only, a softer wax which needs more time to dry and set into the pores.
If you put on the layers too quickly, it'll all just rub around and not go into the pores.
Plus, our air very humid, that's why leave it few hours or days to let it set and then shine again.
That's why Saphir also have the Mirror Gloss to assist or speed up the process as it contains more hard wax.
Oh and you may want to get a proper shoe tree with full heels if you want to mirror shine the heels as well.

This mirror shine I did it with Pure Polish. 😉
lvoonjian8888
post Apr 26 2022, 01:22 PM

Getting Started
252 posts

QUOTE(thelibran.kl @ Apr 25 2022, 09:17 PM)
Cause you're using Saphir and Pate de luxe only, a softer wax which needs more time to dry and set into the pores.
If you put on the layers too quickly, it'll all just rub around and not go into the pores.
Plus, our air very humid,  that's why leave it few hours or days to let it set and then shine again.
That's why Saphir also have the Mirror Gloss to assist or speed up the process as it contains more hard wax.
Oh and you may want to get a proper shoe tree with full heels if you want to mirror shine the heels as well.

This mirror shine I did it with Pure Polish. 😉
Yeah, I am looking a pair for cedar shoe trees. Checked you Shopee page and saw you are selling cedar shoe trees but it shown that you are on vacation. Will definitely buy from you once you are back.
thelibran.kl P
post Apr 27 2022, 12:18 PM

Probation
22 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ Apr 26 2022, 01:22 PM)
Yeah, I am looking a pair for cedar shoe trees. Checked you Shopee page and saw you are selling cedar shoe trees but it shown that you are on vacation. Will definitely buy from you once you are back.
Ya, have to close cause I'm under quarantine now.
lvoonjian8888
post May 18 2022, 07:21 PM

Getting Started
252 posts

Just added dark brown Mirror Gloss Saphir Pate De Lux to my shoe toe cap and heels. It was my first try for this patina effect. Not as good as what Kirby Allison shown in his YouTube video. Will continue to try and gain experience 💪💪

user posted image
rendra
post May 18 2022, 10:37 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ May 18 2022, 07:21 PM)
Just added dark brown Mirror Gloss Saphir Pate De Lux to my shoe toe cap and heels. It was my first try for this patina effect. Not as good as what Kirby Allison shown in his YouTube video. Will continue to try and gain experience 💪💪

user posted image
Not bad for a first try. I guess just need a little mirror gloss to add that shine on the toe cap.
I'm going to try to do a similar finish to my gunboat

user posted image
lvoonjian8888
post May 19 2022, 06:58 PM

Getting Started
252 posts

This morning I felt my toe cap a little bit too black, I used hair dryer to melt the hard wax and re-apply again. And finally done for both shoes, I think now better than yesterday. 😊😊

user posted image
thelibran.kl P
post May 19 2022, 09:52 PM

Probation
22 posts

QUOTE(lvoonjian8888 @ May 19 2022, 06:58 PM)
This morning I felt my toe cap a little bit too black, I used hair dryer to melt the hard wax and re-apply again. And finally done for both shoes, I think now better than yesterday. 😊😊

user posted image
Wow, they turned out great. I was going to point out that the contrast in the first photo was too much.
lvoonjian8888
post May 20 2022, 10:03 AM

Getting Started
252 posts

QUOTE(thelibran.kl @ May 19 2022, 09:52 PM)
Wow, they turned out great. I was going to point out that the contrast in the first photo was too much.
I added very little dark brown wax to the side of my shoes as well so that it won't look so contrast overall. It took me about 4-5 hours to complete the process but got felt great after saw the result. 😊😊
EpsilonStar
post May 22 2022, 04:09 PM

Regular
1,193 posts

hey guys I am thinking to get this pair of shoe. The color from maker is mahogany, but I wonder what would be a suitable color of Saphir wax for this? Should I go with mahogany as well or something like cognac?

user posted image
niakulah
post May 22 2022, 04:12 PM

Senior Artisan
1,206 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ May 22 2022, 04:09 PM)
hey guys I am thinking to get this pair of shoe. The color from maker is mahogany, but I wonder what would be a suitable color of Saphir wax for this? Should I go with mahogany as well or something like cognac?

user posted image
That's a Loake Strand?

Medium brown worked fine for me.
EpsilonStar
post May 24 2022, 09:30 AM

Regular
1,193 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ May 22 2022, 04:12 PM)
That's a Loake Strand?

Medium brown worked fine for me.
ya biggrin.gif
Actually does the wax/creme color make a lot of difference? If we want to try other color in future, we just clean up the shoe and switch other color?
niakulah
post May 24 2022, 12:22 PM

Senior Artisan
1,206 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ May 24 2022, 09:30 AM)
ya  biggrin.gif
Actually does the wax/creme color make a lot of difference? If we want to try other color in future, we just clean up the shoe and switch other color?
That's a personal question I guess. It doesn't make a huge difference to me. The most visible things would be when you are covering up scratches. For these I prefer that my creme be slightly darker than the leather. I happen to be wearing my Aldwych in Mahogany today, here is a shot of a couple of scratches that I have:
Attached Image

You don't need to clean/strip the leather to use a different colour creme. Not for Loake's any way. The 1880 range use full grain leather, but the finishing is quite heavy and cremes don't really change the colour all that much.

BTW, can I ask is that from P Lal and how much are they selling it now?
EpsilonStar
post May 24 2022, 01:14 PM

Regular
1,193 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ May 24 2022, 12:22 PM)
That's a personal question I guess. It doesn't make a huge difference to me. The most visible things would be when you are covering up scratches. For these I prefer that my creme be slightly darker than the leather. I happen to be wearing my Aldwych in Mahogany today, here is a shot of a couple of scratches that I have:
Attached Image

You don't need to clean/strip the leather to use a different colour creme. Not for Loake's any way. The 1880 range use full grain leather, but the finishing is quite heavy and cremes don't really change the colour all that much.

BTW, can I ask is that from P Lal and how much are they selling it now?
oh i see.. it's a bit hard to see from online pictures, but is medium brown a darker brown than say mahogany of these saphirs?

Ya from Plal. The last i checked was about 15xx...
penanghomes
post May 24 2022, 01:31 PM

Regular
1,247 posts

Hush Puppies Volt Sneakers @ rm143.00 @ shopee hush puppies official store

Very comfy with my foot size. Extremely light. Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
niakulah
post May 24 2022, 02:24 PM

Senior Artisan
1,206 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ May 24 2022, 01:14 PM)
oh i see.. it's a bit hard to see from online pictures, but is medium brown a darker brown than say mahogany of these saphirs?

Ya from Plal. The last i checked was about 15xx...
Medium brown is definitely darker. Interestingly this page recommends Saphir Cognac for Loake Mahogany.

https://www.skolyx.se/en/content/46-guide-c...r-medaille-d-or
thelibran.kl P
post Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Probation
22 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ May 24 2022, 09:30 AM)
ya  biggrin.gif
It depends on what you want to achieve, some prefer to maintain their original shoe colour, some wants to burnish the heels/toes and some use only one brown colour for all their brown shoes (probably to save money).
If the wax or cream colour is lighter than the shoe, it may not affect the colour. If it is darker than the shoe, after long a period, it will darken it permanently even after cleaning.
Its like leaving a washable stain on a white shirt, wash it soon it will be white again, leave the stain on long enough, a stain that's supposed to be washable will also leave a mark.
EpsilonStar
post Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Regular
1,193 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ May 24 2022, 02:24 PM)
Medium brown is definitely darker. Interestingly this page recommends Saphir Cognac for Loake Mahogany.

https://www.skolyx.se/en/content/46-guide-c...r-medaille-d-or
Haha i saw that article too. Thus i am a bit unsure now.

QUOTE(thelibran.kl @ May 25 2022, 10:28 AM)
It depends on what you want to achieve, some prefer to maintain their original shoe colour, some wants to burnish the heels/toes and some use only one brown colour for all their brown shoes (probably to save money).
If the wax or cream colour is lighter than the shoe, it may not affect the colour. If it is darker than the shoe, after long a period, it will darken it permanently even after cleaning.
Its like leaving a washable stain on a white shirt, wash it soon it will be white again, leave the stain on long enough, a stain that's supposed to be washable will also leave a mark.
I see. Agree on the money part as saphir products are not exactly cheap.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th May 2022 - 06:27 PM