Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Physics for Matriculation, They study some mad things

views

TStanjinjack
post Sep 19 2009, 11:52 PM, updated 15y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,122 posts

Just few days ago, I went to a local MPH and was hanging around.
I picked up a Physics reference book for matriculation for their 1st semester.
To my surprise, I find that they learn quite a lot of things.
Some of the things are what I learn in my 1st year of university.
Under the Fluid Mechanics section, there are Bernoulli's equation. I think they have steady flow energy equation as well.
Under the Thermodynamics section, they have quite some formulas in it and they learn to draw P-V diagram.
And there are 16 chapters for ONE semester.

I did SAM last year, and 16 chapters (different with matriculation) is what we can cover throughout whole year. And we don't learn Fluid Mechanics, nor Thermodynamics.

I study in University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus. I learned Bernoulli's equation and SFEE in my Fluid Mechanics 1 during my Year 1 and some of what I learn in my Thermodynamics 1 appear in the reference book as well.

Cambridge A-Level does not have Fluid Mechanics in the syllabus and only a small introduction for Thermodynamics only.

I am doubtful. Why is there such depth covered in matriculation?
I thought everyone is saying matriculation covers much lesser stuff?

Anyone from matriculation willing to clear my doubt?
CarroTT
post Sep 20 2009, 01:10 AM

ms. sunflower
1,216 posts

so u guys wud stop complaining malaysia education standards is low biggrin.gif
z21j
post Sep 20 2009, 02:15 AM

Regular
1,307 posts

matriculation is considered easier because, learning process is hard but scoring rate damn terrible, ....
rokiroad
post Sep 20 2009, 03:15 AM

Getting Started
108 posts

no wonder my bro only gets 2.1 doh.gif
but he is quite playful there too tongue.gif
what about the passing rate of matrikulasi student?
cubix
post Sep 20 2009, 05:04 AM

Getting Started
243 posts

passing rate must be very low then.
takercena
post Sep 20 2009, 06:57 AM

Casual
327 posts

When you compare learning process between Matriculation and STPM (don't know about Diploma), it is almost the same but STPM certification has worldwide recognition.
JustForFun
post Sep 20 2009, 08:27 AM

Seeker
1,280 posts

Actually its not only the things you study ... how the questions are asked could very possibly decide your fate too. A-Level AS syllabus is quite similar to what we studied in SPM ( about 70%-80% I'd say ) but the questions they ask are in-depth ... so no surprise.

I've got a few friends who managed to score 4 flat ... and they are not really top student, maybe 8-9As in SPM.
limeuu
post Sep 20 2009, 08:42 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,922 posts

there are 2 aspects of any course of study.........the content, and the assessment......

it appears they cramp in a lot of content, based on what ts said........

but it is common knowledge matrik students end up with better results than through stpm........

so the obvious difference is the assessment........
songhan89
post Sep 20 2009, 10:07 AM

-Hankerchizf-
1,104 posts

Having a large breadth of the content does not necessarily mean you study "mad" things in physics. If the questions asked in the exam are rather routine, then the system does not fully test the students on understanding.

Mad things in physics are perhaps advanced level of quantum mechanics, particle physics and etc.
TStanjinjack
post Sep 20 2009, 11:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,122 posts

QUOTE(cubix @ Sep 20 2009, 05:04 AM)
passing rate must be very low then.
Shouldn't it be a very high passing rate? Meaning a lot of them pass.

QUOTE(limeuu @ Sep 20 2009, 08:42 AM)
there are 2 aspects of any course of study.........the content, and the assessment......

it appears they cramp in a lot of content, based on what ts said........

but it is common knowledge matrik students end up with better results than through stpm........

so the obvious difference is the assessment........
I guess the difference is assessment.
If we assume 16 chapters to be taught in one semester, it's about 1 week per topic.
Under Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics (of what I am concerned about since I am a Mechanical student), the two depths covered are not that possible by 1 week of study, especially the funny Thermo.
Not to mention they are just Pre-U students.

I was told by one of my friends that all things are actually covered, in a general and quick way, yet questions will appear in the exam.
I didn't ask if any tips were given or not though, for the internal examination of matriculation.

QUOTE(songhan89 @ Sep 20 2009, 10:07 AM)
Having a large breadth of the content does not necessarily mean you study "mad" things in physics. If the questions asked in the exam are rather routine, then the system does not fully test the students on understanding.

Mad things in physics are perhaps advanced level of quantum mechanics, particle physics and etc.
What I describe as mad in here is that those topics shouldn't be included in the 12th year of general study of one particular student. Certainly, if you were to expect Newton's law during standard 4, you would say it's mad also. It's not supposed to be there although we cannot deny that a few of them can handle already.
SUSsacai_nownet
post Sep 20 2009, 01:57 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

1 week is very long ...

pv, 1st n 2nd laws of thermo, entropy etc arent some thing very complicated ...just 1 level higher and derivate from basis laws and principle like gas law etc which had been learned during spm time ..

lot of thick text books are bs, simple thing they can write in 10 pages however 1 sentence can explain it ...

TStanjinjack
post Sep 20 2009, 02:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,122 posts

QUOTE(sacai_nownet @ Sep 20 2009, 01:57 PM)
1 week is very long ...

pv, 1st n 2nd laws of thermo, entropy etc arent some thing very complicated ...just 1 level higher and derivate from basis laws and principle like gas law etc which had been learned during spm time ..

lot of thick text books are bs, simple thing they can write in 10 pages however 1 sentence can explain it ...
1 week is not long if you still have to study other subjects. It may only be 2-3 lectures hours and perhaps 1 hour tutorial only.
To grasp thermodynamics fully, or even partially, requires some time to digest.

For me, it might be that you are a thermodynamics expert, or you did not learn thermodynamics fully. I hope it's not the latter though.
It might be as you say, not very complicated, but certainly, not readily absorb-able by most people.
macamtakada
post Sep 20 2009, 03:14 PM

Regular
1,360 posts

That's why pre-U programme like CAL, Edexcel, SAM, AUSMAT, ICPU, CIMP, IB, MUFY never fail in Malaysia.

polaris91
post Sep 20 2009, 07:25 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

yeaa...Pre U like SAM and AUSMAT relatively learn lesser compared to CAL and STPM..
like what my chem lecturer said.. our syllabus is juz about 60% of CAL`s =.=
SUSsacai_nownet
post Sep 20 2009, 07:47 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

QUOTE(tanjinjack @ Sep 20 2009, 02:15 PM)
1 week is not long if you still have to study other subjects. It may only be 2-3 lectures hours and perhaps 1 hour tutorial only.
To grasp thermodynamics fully, or even partially, requires some time to digest.

For me, it might be that you are a thermodynamics expert, or you did not learn thermodynamics fully. I hope it's not the latter though.
It might be as you say, not very complicated, but certainly, not readily absorb-able by most people.
yes .. im the latter one.
im only learning basic applied thermodynamics...i.e im only learn to solve problems given...not to define nor explain the theory ...in other words ...macroscopic, not microscopic..

if u r learning the microscopic 1, i would agree that it's quite though

TStanjinjack
post Sep 20 2009, 08:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,122 posts

QUOTE(sacai_nownet @ Sep 20 2009, 07:47 PM)
yes .. im the latter one.
im only learning basic applied thermodynamics...i.e im only learn to solve problems given...not to define nor explain the theory ...in other words ...macroscopic, not microscopic..

if u r learning the microscopic 1, i would agree that it's quite though
I don't know if what I am learning is at macroscopic scale or microscopic, but I am sure what's in the reference book is not so easily absorbed by matriculation students.

Is the MOE doing something like that just to lie the whole world that matriculation actually covers a lot of things, when the assessment is not being done nicely?
Elven
post Sep 21 2009, 07:59 PM

Casual
399 posts

Im a matriculation student but not a physical student. What I can say is, matric keeps giving me headache. Our final exam will be in 2 weeks time. I have lotsa chapters to cover. Especially chemistry and maths, I would get blurred during lectures. sweat.gif My friends who study physics said, physics is a pain in the ass. FYI, last Ujian Pertengahan Semester, only 20% of physical students managed to pass physics. shakehead.gif They used to say Hayat students were nerds, but now Physical students themselves are nerds. Everyday, they burn the midnight's oil revising physics. Now I see the truth behind all the claims. Physics is really tough! Lucky me for being a Hayat student. blush.gif

This post has been edited by Elven: Sep 21 2009, 08:07 PM
z21j
post Sep 21 2009, 08:47 PM

Regular
1,307 posts

QUOTE(Elven @ Sep 21 2009, 07:59 PM)
Im a matriculation student but not a physical student. What I can say is, matric keeps giving me headache. Our final exam will be in 2 weeks time. I have lotsa chapters to cover. Especially chemistry and maths, I would get blurred during lectures.  sweat.gif  My friends who study physics said, physics is a pain in the ass. FYI, last Ujian Pertengahan Semester, only 20% of physical students managed to pass physics.  shakehead.gif They used to say Hayat students were nerds, but now Physical students themselves are nerds. Everyday, they burn the midnight's oil revising physics. Now I see the truth behind all the claims. Physics is really tough! Lucky me for being a Hayat student.  blush.gif
accouting student is luckier in matric. Ujian Pertengahan Semester often hear ppl scored 4 flat. Unlike hayat(bio) n fizikal (physic) student, although v only study 3 subjects (exclude moral, info sains... all those "rubbish")... but they were tough enuf. Acc student always claim that they study 4 subjects compare to science student.... but their 4 subjects dun have to do practical right? so fair enuf.... agree... bio is easier score in UPS. But in actual exams... arent many ppl who fail "physics" in UPS gets 4 flat in FINAL??? Impossible rite? That's y i said hard to study, easier to score... My time matric, those who failed UPS physics were scored 4 flat in FINAL, both semesters... But, the advantage is... physics students are competent enuf to complete with those diploma and stpm student, as during matric, physic reli cover a lot of things and in4.

This post has been edited by z21j: Sep 21 2009, 08:49 PM
kairiRoxy
post Sep 22 2009, 01:26 AM

Getting Started
240 posts

QUOTE(Elven @ Sep 21 2009, 07:59 PM)
Im a matriculation student but not a physical student. What I can say is, matric keeps giving me headache. Our final exam will be in 2 weeks time. I have lotsa chapters to cover. Especially chemistry and maths, I would get blurred during lectures.  sweat.gif  My friends who study physics said, physics is a pain in the ass. FYI, last Ujian Pertengahan Semester, only 20% of physical students managed to pass physics.  shakehead.gif They used to say Hayat students were nerds, but now Physical students themselves are nerds. Everyday, they burn the midnight's oil revising physics. Now I see the truth behind all the claims. Physics is really tough! Lucky me for being a Hayat student.  blush.gif
Elvennn~still rmb me ?xD
Oh nice u gt hayat same as me lol
Reali glad i didnt gt physics T_T

All my friends from physics they reali tired since there were classes till nite almost everyday~
They finished one topic in one week n sumtimes can entered new one in de same week
Fasting month more tiring as the classes mostly finished at 11++ since gt solat terawih that ended around 9.30.
Physics is tough..I curik2 opened their book then see all da formula,equation....my head dizzy aldy doh.gif

Nway gudluck to all matrix student for this coming final exam~

Elven
post Sep 22 2009, 06:18 PM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(z21j @ Sep 21 2009, 09:47 PM)
accouting student is luckier in matric. Ujian Pertengahan Semester often hear ppl scored 4 flat. Unlike hayat(bio) n fizikal (physic) student, although v only study 3 subjects (exclude moral, info sains... all those "rubbish")... but they were tough enuf. Acc student always claim that they study 4 subjects compare to science student.... but their 4 subjects dun have to do practical right? so fair enuf.... agree... bio is easier score in UPS. But in actual exams... arent many ppl who fail "physics" in UPS gets 4 flat in FINAL??? Impossible rite? That's y i said hard to study, easier to score...  My time matric, those who failed UPS physics were scored 4 flat in FINAL, both semesters... But, the advantage is... physics students are competent enuf to complete with those diploma and stpm student, as during matric, physic reli cover a lot of things and in4.
Yup. In the end, 4 flatters are those Fizikal students. Is Accounting in matric so easy? Coz they were lots of them scoring 4 flats in UPS.

QUOTE(kairiRoxy @ Sep 22 2009, 02:26 AM)
Elvennn~still rmb me ?xD
Oh nice u gt hayat same as me lol
Reali glad i didnt gt physics T_T

All my friends from physics they reali tired since there were classes till nite almost everyday~
They finished one topic in one week n sumtimes can entered new one in de same week
Fasting month more tiring as the classes mostly finished at 11++ since gt solat terawih that ended around 9.30.
Physics is tough..I curik2 opened their book then see all da formula,equation....my head dizzy aldy  doh.gif

Nway gudluck to all matrix student for this coming final exam~
Ya I still remember you. Which matric are you in? How was your UPS? And how far have you prepared for this upcoming PSPM?
willow2323
post Sep 22 2009, 08:18 PM

2 posts

im in matrics now and a phys student
honestly 16 chapters is too many for a sem, n lecturers actually rush to finish those syllabus and most students dont even understand most of the topics especially from chp 11- 16. btw thts not crazy stuff in c 16, but kinda interesting.
In sem 2 we hv to study about the same number of chapters but of course even harder topics >.>
kairiRoxy
post Sep 22 2009, 08:24 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

QUOTE(Elven @ Sep 22 2009, 06:18 PM)
Yup. In the end, 4 flatters are those Fizikal students. Is Accounting in matric so easy? Coz they were lots of them scoring 4 flats in UPS.
Ya I still remember you. Which matric are you in? How was your UPS? And how far have you prepared for this upcoming PSPM?
Now Im at matrix pahang..
My UPS de cgpa I gt 3.7 (Maths:A-,Bio:A,Chem:B+)
How bout u elv?

Ow bout de upcoming PSPM honestly I havent start anything T_T
Mayb tomorrow Im going to start study maths lol ><
How bout u?

Added on September 22, 2009, 8:25 pm
QUOTE(willow2323 @ Sep 22 2009, 08:18 PM)
honestly 16 chapters is too many for a sem, n lecturers actually rush to finish those syllabus and most students dont even understand most of the topics especially from chp  11- 16. btw thts not crazy stuff in c 16, but kinda interesting.
In sem 2 we hv to study about the same number of chapters but of course even harder topics >.>
Which matrix are u in willow?
Gudluck to all physics student T_T *respect*

This post has been edited by kairiRoxy: Sep 22 2009, 08:25 PM
projectnew
post Sep 22 2009, 08:28 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

You guys should never compare how easy or difficult all of these pre-u courses.. Each has thier different perspective.. when it is recognize it already has a standard. So stop comparing and just do well..
lordzarx
post Sep 22 2009, 08:30 PM

On My Way
776 posts

QUOTE(willow2323 @ Sep 22 2009, 08:18 PM)
honestly 16 chapters is too many for a sem, n lecturers actually rush to finish those syllabus and most students dont even understand most of the topics especially from chp  11- 16. btw thts not crazy stuff in c 16, but kinda interesting.
i agreed....but for some student,who are quick learner they shouldn't encounter any problem.....(this is not my case sweat.gif )
sems1 physic is much easier than sems 2.....most of my fren say so...
in sems2 the syllabus is more on electric....magnetic field...
Elven
post Sep 22 2009, 08:33 PM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(willow2323 @ Sep 22 2009, 09:18 PM)
I wish you all the best for PSPM and for next sem.

QUOTE(kairiRoxy @ Sep 22 2009, 09:24 PM)
Now Im at matrix pahang..
My UPS de cgpa I gt 3.7 (Maths:A-,Bio:A,Chem:B+)
How bout u elv?

Ow bout de upcoming PSPM honestly I havent start anything T_T
Mayb tomorrow Im going to start study maths lol ><
How bout u?
I got A A- B. Im sux at Chemistry. cry.gif

QUOTE(lordzarx @ Sep 22 2009, 09:30 PM)
i agreed....but for some student,who are quick learner they shouldn't encounter any problem.....(this is not my case  sweat.gif )
Prepare for the worse! shakehead.gif
kairiRoxy
post Sep 22 2009, 08:48 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

QUOTE(Elven @ Sep 22 2009, 08:33 PM)
I got A A- B. Im sux at Chemistry.  cry.gif
Im sux at chem too cry.gif
My careless mistake was in de graph question T_T
Oww,btw have u finished all de syllabus for all subjects?

Added on September 22, 2009, 8:50 pm
QUOTE(lordzarx @ Sep 22 2009, 08:30 PM)
i agreed....but for some student,who are quick learner they shouldn't encounter any problem.....(this is not my case  sweat.gif )
Emm I think electric n magnetic thingy more interesting compared to speed,velocity thingy in their syllabus now~
But yea its going to be more tough than de sem 1 sweat.gif

This post has been edited by kairiRoxy: Sep 22 2009, 08:50 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0172sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:30 PM