Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Science Malaysia's own "mosquito attractant", UM "mosquito attractant" MMA on display

views

TSmmatrapper
post Oct 11 2009, 11:00 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(kaka4838 @ Sep 28 2009, 09:15 PM)
Here's sth light to lighten up the atmosphere...
Havent you watch Lilo and Stitch? Mosquitoes are endangered species~~biggrin.gif
you know the old tale that animals and insects can predict earthquakes and disasters, and in the modern science, they are sensitive to the magnetic field of the earth? We recorded a sharp drop in mosquitoes trappings on the two days of the Pandang earthquake and then slowly back to normal. Maybe it is true that insects can detect changes in the magnetic field, but can only confirm when the next earthquakes happens, hopefully from far away.

This post has been edited by mmatrapper: Oct 11 2009, 11:01 PM
SUSb3ta
post Oct 12 2009, 03:03 PM

responsible poster stormtrooper
685 posts

QUOTE(mmatrapper @ Oct 12 2009, 02:00 AM)
you know the old tale that animals and insects can predict earthquakes and disasters, and in the modern science, they are sensitive to the magnetic field of the earth? We recorded a sharp drop in mosquitoes trappings on the two days of the Pandang earthquake and then slowly back to normal. Maybe it is true that insects can detect changes in the magnetic field, but can only confirm when the next earthquakes happens, hopefully from far away.
interesting find. so even insects, not just birds and certain animals
TSmmatrapper
post Oct 14 2009, 01:12 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(b3ta @ Oct 12 2009, 03:03 PM)
interesting find. so even insects, not just birds and certain animals
Yesterday's trappings were just 2 mosquitoes from two traps, and there is a report of a 6.0 magnitude earthquake somewhere in Indonesia. There were untrapped mosquitoes around the test site as well. Two similar readings from two earthquakes.

Added on October 21, 2009, 1:33 amMonday night trapping also two, and corresponds with the 5.3 earthquake in Padang. [Sat & Sun was 16].

This post has been edited by mmatrapper: Oct 21 2009, 01:33 AM
lj0000
post Jan 5 2010, 06:51 PM

Regular
1,689 posts

Hi TS
my hometown got a really bad mozzie infestation. once u go to the garden, sure come back with at least 10 suckers attached.
Luckily no one get denggie so far.

I think its a great test ground for u as well.
testing with UVlamp+sio2 from parkson = fail (avg 10 per night)

would like to make one of yours. pls let me know the plant extract used.

thanks!

rockos
post Jan 6 2010, 01:18 AM

17 posts

The MMA (Mosquito Attractant) trap, maybe just a malaysian version tech. icon_rolleyes.gif

similarities could be read/found here wink.gif :
http://www.megacatch.com/megacatch3000combolure.html
Seiryu
post Jan 18 2010, 05:44 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

Omg, i thought about this back then when I was in form 4 four years ago and got excited and told my friends about it. We wanted to do it but did nothing in the end coz we didn't have the knowledge to do it.

I think this is a brilliant idea! In addition, if possible you can add scent to the thing so the thing becomes an air freshener plus a mosquito trap hence more marketable.
TSmmatrapper
post Jan 20 2010, 12:24 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(lj0000 @ Jan 5 2010, 06:51 PM)
Hi TS
my hometown got a really bad mozzie infestation. once u go to the garden, sure come back with at least 10 suckers attached.
Luckily no one get denggie so far.

I think its a great test ground for u as well.
testing with UVlamp+sio2 from parkson = fail (avg 10 per night)

would like to make one of yours. pls let me know the plant extract used.

thanks!
UM is on course to introduce the MMA and DIY trap design soon [ months]. If properly deployed, should work throughout the country, as tests were done in many locations. Some loose ends to tie up, as the chemical falls under the pesticides category, even if food grade and non- toxic, still require a pesticide license before it can be made available to the public. Cannot disclose the plant but the blueprint and instructions for a DIY trap will be posted for those interested, and it is based on a 4" computer cooling fan.

Added on January 20, 2010, 1:25 pm
QUOTE(Seiryu @ Jan 18 2010, 05:44 AM)
Omg, i thought about this back then when I was in form 4 four years ago and got excited and told my friends about it. We wanted to do it but did nothing in the end coz we didn't have the knowledge to do it.

I think this is a brilliant idea! In addition, if possible you can add scent to the thing so the thing becomes an air freshener plus a mosquito trap hence more marketable.
Some food for your thoughts. The attractant is the key to trapping, but it can also be used in a different manner.

Imagine the burning mosquito coils, and the mosquitoes fly away on smelling the pesticide laced smoke. What if the smell is now very attractive to the mosquito and they fly towards the source of the smoke [ with pesticides]. They will then be flying towards the point of maximum toxicity, and committing suicide.

Imagine pesticides coated onto curtains, window screens and mosquito nets { available from WHO : "KO Tab"}. What if these are made "attractive" and the mosquitoes are seduced to land and "probe" these "attractive" poisonous surfaces [ see video clip on Youtube : Mosquito attractant MMA], and by doing so, become poisoned.

"Attractive landmines" for the mosquitoes.

Professor Zweibel of Vanderbilt University described such potential mixtures of "pesticides + attractants" as "Olfacticides", a new name for a potentially new class of pesticides of the future.

It is possible that somewhere in our garden and jungle, may exist plants that will induce mosquitoes to rest on their leaves, etc, and herein lies the potential biotech solutions to this quest. Meanwhile, these chemicals comes off our skins and sweat.

Keep looking as even the MMA was discovered by coincidence and observation.

This post has been edited by mmatrapper: Jan 20 2010, 01:25 PM
SUSf4tE
post Jan 22 2010, 09:23 AM

Regular
1,605 posts

I think this is a really good motivation for malayian biotech field... The more commercial products our scientist can come up with then we will start improving rather than prime minister saying he will do this and that..

We should support this product rather than saying it cant compare to other existing product and such..
aaronwee
post Feb 4 2010, 08:30 PM

Getting Started
125 posts

i have mosqies flying and hiding everywhere in my house... sneaky suckers!!!
what's the best remedy man.... is the UM biotech thingie for sale yet?
should i go n get the one from Parkson right away...
i heard rumors that there were 10 Dengue confirmed cases in my condo... yikes!!! :-S

Please help. SOS!

~Aaron
TSmmatrapper
post Mar 26 2010, 11:16 PM

11 posts

“highly attractive substitute for human baits might enable development of technologies for trapping mosquitoes in numbers sufficient to prevent rather than merely monitor transmission of mosquito-borne diseases.”
[cool.gif

Citation: Okumu FO, Killeen GF, Ogoma S, Biswaro L, Smallegange RC, et al. (2010) Development and Field Evaluation of a Synthetic Mosquito Lure That Is More Attractive than Humans. PLoS ONE 5(1): e8951. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0008951

Fredros O. Okumu1,2,3*, Gerry F. Killeen1,4,5, Sheila Ogoma1,3, Lubandwa Biswaro1, Renate C. Smallegange7, Edgar Mbeyela1, Emmanuel Titus1, Cristina Munk6, Hassan Ngonyani1, Willem Takken7, Hassan Mshinda1, Wolfgang R. Mukabana2, Sarah J. Moore1,3,4

1 Biomedical and Environmental Sciences Thematic Group, Ifakara Health Institute, Ifakara, Tanzania, 2 School of Biological Sciences, University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya, 3 Disease Control and Vector Biology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom, 4 School of Biological Sciences, Durham University, Durham, United Kingdom, 5 Vector Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 6 College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, United States of America, 7 Laboratory of Entomology, Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, The Netherlands

The above is the conclusion drawn by researchers from very well known institutions in a joint study, published in Feb, 2010. Attractants will likely move from tools for scientific research to products for everyday use very quickly.

When "commercial" products finally appears, it will be a matter of which is more effective and affordable.

The MMA attractant from UM is well on it's way to being among the first batch of such products that will become available. Dunno the exact date, but will post as soon as confirmed.

This post has been edited by mmatrapper: Mar 27 2010, 01:45 AM
chinhooi8
post Dec 8 2014, 08:07 AM

34 posts

Now is 2014, 4 years past.
Is the MMA attractant from UM ready for market yet?
What about the mosquito traps e.g. Khind available in the market nowadays? Are they effective nowadays???
hans18
post Mar 2 2018, 10:18 AM

19 posts

Host seeking attractant will have problem to compete with human host

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0164sec    0.59    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:21 PM