96 Pages « < 63 64 65 66 67 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Nokia N900 launched!, N Series with Maemo 5 on board

views

jloi
post Mar 2 2010, 11:07 AM

THE BLOGGER
3,975 posts

woohoo this is so cool! using N900 as Nikon D60 flash remote trigger!!

http://gizmodo.com/5482603/nokia-n900-hack...e-nikon-d40-slr
drexar
post Mar 2 2010, 11:30 AM

Drexar21.my
718 posts

QUOTE(Clareen @ Mar 2 2010, 01:06 AM)
Don't worry the price will drop smile.gif
wow even clareen says the price will drop icon_rolleyes.gif
Andy214
post Mar 2 2010, 12:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,307 posts

QUOTE(jloi @ Mar 2 2010, 09:09 AM)
andy, how to customize d conversation? paste those code at where? 0_0
You need to access to the system files. To access through the phone, you need to install rootsh and use sudo gainroot to be able access the system files. It's the harder way.

For easier way, install ssh, then use ssh client to access to your phone, where you can copy/backup/edit your system files. It's quite dangerous if you mess up any files though, but the messaging file is safe as it's just html, javascript and css files. Backup your original before replacing/editing.

You can download the already modified version from maemotalk, few of them have provided their version.

QUOTE(jloi @ Mar 2 2010, 11:07 AM)
woohoo this is so cool! using N900 as Nikon D60 flash remote trigger!!

http://gizmodo.com/5482603/nokia-n900-hack...e-nikon-d40-slr
Yea, actually if you check out the PUSH team, they've done even more wonderful things. They've connect the N900 to various old devices and control those devices.

Another thing that they do is using bluetooth and connect to PS3 as a PS3 controller, connect to a Media Player which supports Bluetooth as Media Player Controller (you can also connect to your PC Windows Media player and controls the basic operation). They have also connect Wii Remote or PS3 Remote to N900 via Bluetooth to play the SNES Emulator. I've also seen the videos N900 controlling the control car (not sure if it's real tough).

super_evil_alien
post Mar 2 2010, 12:32 PM

Slumber Mode
5,101 posts

QUOTE(Andy214 @ Mar 2 2010, 09:05 AM)
I think it depends on the users, no/less users means this product is not in demand = less developers = less Nokia support.
It also depends on the developers, if there're many nice apps, this phone can stay strong; The problem is, the N900 is the ONLY Maemo5 device available... But the good news is, with Qt4.6 support, we can rest assured that the apps developed in Qt4.6 are compatible.

For Nokia part, what we need them is for the firmware updates, bug fixes, demand-list. For bug fixes, I'm sure Nokia will still support in the future, I believe at least they will make it stable before slowing down the updates. The demand-list or request for features/function, might take some time; But for now, they're pushing the updates as much as possible.

Just make sure you really like the phone and are able to accept its current weakness/drawbacks before making the final decision. The best is to get your hands-on the device, once you've touched and played with the real thing, it makes a difference. Of course, if there's no chance to touch and play with it, YouTube has tons of virtual hands-on videos, including unpacking the box videos, 1st time booting up (which is very unique for this device), etc.
Problem is Nokia haven't fully committed to N900.While a lot thing could be improved with N900 Nokia still haven't done anything major.This device only only few month old but they already thinking of updating to maemo 6 & didn't say that N900 will support v6 or not.
How can users buy a product that may yes or may not be supported in future?
Andy214
post Mar 2 2010, 01:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,307 posts

QUOTE(super_evil_alien @ Mar 2 2010, 12:32 PM)
Problem is Nokia haven't fully committed to N900.While a lot thing could be improved with N900 Nokia still haven't done anything major.This device only only few month old but they already thinking of updating to maemo 6 & didn't say that N900 will support v6 or not.
How can users buy a product that may yes or may not be supported in future?
Previous plan was that they already plan to released Maemo6 device; but since they merge with Intel, current Maemo6 will be rebrand to MeeGo; the first instance of MeeGo is actually Maemo6.

Actually, this device is officially launch in Dec 2009, and up till Feb 2010, that's 3 months, and they have release 3 updates (1 being major), and another one the way. I think it's that's pretty fast, but to be honest, it's also because they release it too early being the OS still have many things to be improve, such as the Maps are not complete, phone function is still very basic, etc. Possibly they want to make quick appearance on the market to compete, thus they release it early while the features are still in basic stage. Since the device in more of an internet tablet, they mainly focus on the internet capabilities first since it's the main objective of the device, while enhancing others on the way.

Nonetheless, it's disappointing to hear the news and uncertain future for the N900; but at least they're not hiding it and suddenly just launch the MeeGo device; We can see that they're concern about the N900 future too. For those who haven't buy the device still can make their choice, for those already own it, I don't really see it as a problem for now as it's still a great device and many great apps available and coming. I don't even know what will the MeeGo OS look like, how will the phone look like, etc. Who knows? Maybe some will still prefer the N900 or Maemo5?

Anyway, as per previous mentioned, most important is to know what you want and device for yourself. Nobody is stopping anyone for not buying or buying any phones. But, it's a dilemma to decide to buy now or wait; that depends on whether one can wait or need a new phone now.

BRY7
post Mar 2 2010, 02:40 PM

Siri: I'm your humble personal assistant
7,876 posts

QUOTE(super_evil_alien @ Mar 1 2010, 10:10 PM)
But is it worth the extra RM1K?
actually no.
haha

super_evil_alien
post Mar 2 2010, 02:46 PM

Slumber Mode
5,101 posts

QUOTE(BRY7 @ Mar 2 2010, 02:40 PM)
actually no.
haha
My thoughts exactly nod.gif
drexar
post Mar 2 2010, 03:22 PM

Drexar21.my
718 posts

QUOTE(Andy214 @ Mar 2 2010, 01:53 PM)
Previous plan was that they already plan to released Maemo6 device; but since they merge with Intel, current Maemo6 will be rebrand to MeeGo; the first instance of MeeGo is actually Maemo6.

Actually, this device is officially launch in Dec 2009, and up till Feb 2010, that's 3 months, and they have release 3 updates (1 being major), and another one the way. I think it's that's pretty fast, but to be honest, it's also because they release it too early being the OS still have many things to be improve, such as the Maps are not complete, phone function is still very basic, etc. Possibly they want to make quick appearance on the market to compete, thus they release it early while the features are still in basic stage. Since the device in more of an internet tablet, they mainly focus on the internet capabilities first since it's the main objective of the device, while enhancing others on the way.

Nonetheless, it's disappointing to hear the news and uncertain future for the N900; but at least they're not hiding it and suddenly just launch the MeeGo device; We can see that they're concern about the N900 future too. For those who haven't buy the device still can make their choice, for those already own it, I don't really see it as a problem for now as it's still a great device and many great apps available and coming. I don't even know what will the MeeGo OS look like, how will the phone look like, etc. Who knows? Maybe some will still prefer the N900 or Maemo5?

Anyway, as per previous mentioned, most important is to know what you want and device for yourself. Nobody is stopping anyone for not buying or buying any phones. But, it's a dilemma to decide to buy now or wait; that depends on whether one can wait or need a new phone now.
I truly agree with what u have written, andy. N900 still need a lot of improvement.. So its user need to be patient.. If you are not willingly to take the risk (of Nokia abandoning N900) and not patient enough waiting for the new updates.. My only advice is.. don't buy the phone yet.
faizpsp89
post Mar 2 2010, 06:06 PM

///M
1,152 posts

N900 here i come:)
jloi
post Mar 2 2010, 07:14 PM

THE BLOGGER
3,975 posts

after look at motorola milestone..abit tempted XP
BRY7
post Mar 2 2010, 08:04 PM

7,876 posts

QUOTE(jloi @ Mar 2 2010, 07:14 PM)
after look at motorola milestone..abit tempted XP
what motorola milestone?
super_evil_alien
post Mar 2 2010, 08:11 PM

Slumber Mode
5,101 posts

QUOTE(BRY7 @ Mar 2 2010, 08:04 PM)
what motorola milestone?
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_milestone-3001.php
Android based smartphone.Have pretty good reviews.
meLi
post Mar 2 2010, 08:42 PM

On my way
674 posts

How to enable Reboot button on Power Button ?

user posted image

Source
http://my-maemo.com/faq/showquestion.php?faq=5&fldAuto=2

TQ
kiawin
post Mar 2 2010, 09:31 PM

NOOBIE
670 posts

i think is to identify the differences between iPhone OS, Symbian, Android and Maemo.

iPhone is a stripdown version of OSX with underlying BSD architecture. It is optimised to be a single tasking machine. Hence it has the benefit of *nix blood but behave like a infant if we compare single tasking vs. multitasking machine.

Symbian from day 1 has been designed/developed as a mobile platform. Hence it will not be easy to transform it to a mini computer platform. Frustration from N97 and various E series users are actually caused by the over expectation of this platform - to behave like a mobile computer instead of a mobile platform.

Android is a stripdown version of linux with the right intention to create a mobile platform but with minimal emphasis as mobile computer. Hence you can see the direction of android that focuses more on selective mobile platform eg. phone, ebook reader, media layer etc.

Maemo instead went with a different direction. Though it was an initiative to develop a mobile platform which many says was created to replace the ailing Symbian platform, it shares a different philosophy of how mobile computing should be. Instead of stripping features of OS to fit into a mobile platform, maemo creates a mobile platform that is similar if not same with desktop computing. One best example would be its native web browser that runs just like an ordinary desktop web browser, which is a first in mobile computing. Many of its application are recompiled from debian based architecture, where developer can easily port the application over with modifivation on UI to make it mobile-friendly.

I guess the above shows maemo has a different approach in defining what is mobile computing and that is the reason why I own a N900 - because i've been wanting so long to have a mobile computer that is comparable with its desktop counterpart. maemo did it.

iPhone OS, Symbian, Windows Mobile did not.

A sharing via my N900 riding on DiGi wink.gif
Andy214
post Mar 2 2010, 10:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,307 posts

QUOTE(super_evil_alien @ Mar 2 2010, 08:11 PM)
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_milestone-3001.php
Android based smartphone.Have pretty good reviews.
Take note that Droid and Milestone, eventough they are the same, but they have some slight differences (even hardware); I read that milestone have restrictions (only allow sign firmware) which kind of defeat or contradict with the advertise "phone without compromise/limits".

In short, the Droid is the better version.

QUOTE(kiawin @ Mar 2 2010, 09:31 PM)
i think is to identify the differences between iPhone OS, Symbian, Android and Maemo.

iPhone is a stripdown version of OSX with underlying BSD architecture. It is optimised to be a single tasking machine. Hence it has the benefit of *nix blood but behave like a infant if we compare single tasking vs. multitasking machine.

Symbian from day 1 has been designed/developed as a mobile platform. Hence it will not be easy to transform it to a mini computer platform. Frustration from N97 and various E series users are actually caused by the over expectation of this platform - to behave like a mobile computer instead of a mobile platform.

Android is a stripdown version of linux with the right intention to create a mobile platform but with minimal emphasis as mobile computer. Hence you can see the direction of android that focuses more on selective mobile platform eg. phone, ebook reader, media layer etc.

Maemo instead went with a different direction. Though it was an initiative to develop a mobile platform which many says was created to replace the ailing Symbian platform, it shares a different philosophy of how mobile computing should be. Instead of stripping features of OS to fit into a mobile platform, maemo creates a mobile platform that is similar if not same with desktop computing. One best example would be its native web browser that runs just like an ordinary desktop web browser, which is a first in mobile computing. Many of its application are recompiled from debian based architecture, where developer can easily port the application over with modifivation on UI to make it mobile-friendly.

I guess the above shows maemo has a different approach in defining what is mobile computing and that is the reason why I own a N900 - because i've been wanting so long to have a mobile computer that is comparable with its desktop counterpart. maemo did it.

iPhone OS, Symbian, Windows Mobile did not.

A sharing via my N900 riding on DiGi wink.gif
Very well said; That's also one reason why many of the buyers goes for the N900, a true mobile computer. And people has been saying that this is more of an internet tablet than a phone. Or for simple to understand, think of a touchscreen laptop (tablet PC), shrink to the size of the handphone, and instead of running Windows OS, it's running Linux family OS.
Previously there was a video (can't remember where I see it), it's showing the N900 as a laptop, then shrink down to the size of a handphone. Probably that video would be better for the public to understand.

Windows Mobile is really a strip down version and old version of Windows. And they used to call the Pocket PC as Pocket Size Computer in your hand or something like that; Back then it was great as it there wasn't much competitor, but there's a great difference between a Windows Mobile against Windows for Desktop.

I guess that's why Symbian ruled when it makes it's appearance for smartphone OS. It's a great mobile OS with nice UI, nice features, easy to use, etc. The main problem I faced is lack of memory ram and/or memory for Nokia symbian devices. Somehow Nokia always give very little ram and/or internal memory, which causes lags, not enough memory, hang, etc.

Leo the Lion
post Mar 2 2010, 10:32 PM

XleoVengences
6,225 posts

N900 is better in term of speed, spec, OS and very powerful. But compare with Motorola Milestone, N900 is thick, heavy, and the 3rd line keypad lack of space between the screen makes it hard to type and also, lack of application too.

Been using Motorola Milestone and have used a N900, I felt N900 is alot simple to use then the Motorola Milestone. If you willing to bare the thickness and heaviness then go with N900. If not, choose other phone la. icon_rolleyes.gif

p/s: waiting for meego/maemo 6 phone icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Leo the Lion: Mar 2 2010, 10:33 PM
jloi
post Mar 2 2010, 10:54 PM

THE BLOGGER
3,975 posts

QUOTE(Leo the Lion @ Mar 2 2010, 10:32 PM)
N900 is better in term of speed, spec, OS and very powerful. But compare with Motorola Milestone, N900 is thick, heavy, and the 3rd line keypad lack of space between the screen makes it hard to type and also, lack of application too.

Been using Motorola Milestone and have used a N900, I felt N900 is alot simple to use then the Motorola Milestone. If you willing to bare the thickness and heaviness then go with N900. If not, choose other phone la.  icon_rolleyes.gif

p/s: waiting for meego/maemo 6 phone  icon_rolleyes.gif
so u have sold off ur N900 and get milestone? haha
super_evil_alien
post Mar 2 2010, 10:55 PM

Slumber Mode
5,101 posts

There are a lot of people wondering which type of people should get N900.
Personally I think those who heavily browse internet,listen to music & make normal phone call should get this phone.
People complain that this phone lack some phone function.They should remember that this is actually internet tablet with phone functions.Almost all the reviews say that this is the best browsing phone available today.
But if you are looking for some "business' related function you're probably better off with blackberry or other phones.
Leo the Lion
post Mar 2 2010, 10:55 PM

XleoVengences
6,225 posts

QUOTE(jloi @ Mar 2 2010, 11:54 PM)
so u have sold off ur N900 and get milestone? haha
Yup. biggrin.gif

Anyway, starting to miss Nokia phone. cry.gif
BRY7
post Mar 2 2010, 11:03 PM

7,876 posts

QUOTE(Leo the Lion @ Mar 2 2010, 10:55 PM)
Yup.  biggrin.gif

Anyway, starting to miss Nokia phone.  cry.gif
in my opinion.
shouldn't have sold it, its a really good fone.

96 Pages « < 63 64 65 66 67 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0395sec    1.20    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 8th March 2021 - 02:44 PM