Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicClosed TopicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTA] Best route to Kota Bharu?, East Coast road trip.. (Travel)

raydenex
post Aug 24 2009, 04:06 PM, updated 6y ago

"Updated my journal."
Group: Senior Member

First and foremost, hope I'm posting this at the right section of the boards, if not, mods please assist by moving this thread, many thanks in advance.

Calling out to any brothers and sisters out there who are either from Kelantan, any east cost state/district or just happen to be familiar, what is the best route/shortest distance driving to Kota Bharu, Kelantan from Kuala Lumpur?

I have driven to Kota Bharu 3 times in the last 1 month, using the Kepong/MRR2 -> Karak highway -> east coast expressway to Kuantan/Jabor exit -> Kemaman, Terengganu -> Kuala Terengganu -> Kota Bharu coastal roads. Takes me a total of 7 hrs 30 mins++ if I leave KL at 11pm or 12am, arriving about 7 in the morning, but normally can be anywhere from 8 hrs to 9hrs max, if I leave later like 2 or 3am.

I have been told there are 2 other alternatives,

1) use the route I stated above but on the east coast expressway, exit at Temerloh, then use some road up to Gua Musang -> Kota Bharu

2) go towards Cameron Highlands, use the road leading to Gua Musang from there, then on to Kota Bharu

My question is, are the 2 options above shorter in distance compared to the almost silly road I have been using, which is like going one big round to Kota Bharu, and what are the conditions on those 2 roads.. like Petrol Kiosk availability, jungle areas, etc..

Any feedback will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for viewing this thread and reading.. Cheers!!

Kind Regards

This post has been edited by raydenex: Jun 26 2013, 05:56 AM
joesniper
post Aug 24 2009, 04:11 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

if ur from MRR2 why dont you go thru Bentong, Raub, Lipis, Gua Musang to Kota Bharu ?
soundsyst64
post Aug 24 2009, 04:12 PM

I'm No-Longer-Noobs

try use maps.google.com and search for best alternatives smile.gif
sjn hassan
post Aug 24 2009, 04:16 PM

Member's of MAKAN MEGGI club

QUOTE(joesniper @ Aug 24 2009, 04:11 PM)
if ur from MRR2 why dont you go thru Bentong, Raub, Lipis, Gua Musang to Kota Bharu ?
yeah...normally we use Karak then exit to Bentong..Raub and etc
raydenex
post Aug 24 2009, 04:18 PM

"Updated my journal."

If looking from the map, of course those 2 alternatives look shorter a road, compared to the one going through Kuantan -> Terengganu -> Kelantan.

But certain things will come into play like road conditions.. for example those kampung roads which are usually 1 lane, if got one car infront of you drive at 60 kmph, and the road is winding/unable to overtake.. you suffer lor drive at 60 behind that car. So the journey may end up take longer.

Added on August 24, 2009, 4:22 pm
QUOTE(joesniper @ Aug 24 2009, 04:11 PM)
bro, thanks for feedback, how long does this route normally take before reach KB? total KM?

This post has been edited by raydenex: Aug 24 2009, 04:22 PM
aegis`-
post Aug 24 2009, 04:24 PM

Regular

Gua Musang route can cut short by 2hours compare to the East coast highway which u haev to past Kuala Terengganu

but please do take note on this
the road from Bentong to Raub and to kuala lipis is only one lane on each direction
roads are bumpy at times potholes are everywhere so becareful
best is dont use this road AT NIGHT
from kuala lipis to gua musang ull be drivnig thru some felda estate and kampung area which there are no street lights and handphone coverage .
make sure your car is in good condition and never let ur car fail there.
oh yea alot of lorry uses that route to transport timber so good luck overtaking them tongue.gif
raydenex
post Aug 24 2009, 04:37 PM

"Updated my journal."

Thanks bro.. that was informative smile.gif
Problem is, I memang travel at night, usually past midnight, and bumpy roads with potholes malam malam buta confirm susah to elak. Kuala Lipis to Gua Musang route no phone signal and street lights, mampus la.. if car break down thats GG for me, can BBQ together with some jungle animals and watch the stars together-gether. (or get BBQ-ed). OMG, lorries too.. x.x

Thanks so much for the info bro.. now to decide..
Anybody else with any insights into this route?
Seems like this is the route most Kelantanese use to balik kampung?
aegis`-
post Aug 24 2009, 05:12 PM

Regular

yes its the best route la shortest also
theres no petrol station in between so fill up in every station every 1/2 tank seriously lol
ull have petronas after lipis and a shell in musang

pj 1hour > bentong 1hour > raub 1hour > lipis 2hours > gua musang town (from here u will go to gua musang town and a right turn to KB your destination is another 2hours away
a total of 7 if u kept driving.
oh ya there got landslide etc reported last year during the raining reason which is around this period of the year
alot of trucks got into accident and stuck
not advisable seriously
my best honest advice is use the way you been using its easier on your car also.
have good tyre and give ur car a good service/checkup !
cheers!

ah i forgot theres another route
using the north south highway head towards ipoh keep going past jelapang exit and go for the tunnel
the moment u exit the tunnel downhill u will see kuala kangsar exit there to head to GRIK or GRIK TIMUR buy a map of malaysia roads etc it will get you to KELANTAN from there as well the roads there arent that bad and there is phone coverage and town nearby good place for u to stop and rest while making ur journey there smile.gif

This post has been edited by aegis`-: Aug 24 2009, 05:14 PM
raydenex
post Aug 24 2009, 06:27 PM

"Updated my journal."

thanks bro, you've been a lot of help, answered most, if not all my concerns about this route.. a huge thanks from me! thanks to all for your feedback, very much appreciated smile.gif

Bump TopicClosed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0581sec    3.74    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 08:06 PM