Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Matrikulasi

views

-Max91-
post Aug 12 2009, 08:10 PM

On my way
526 posts

Erm I got selected for Matriculation but after one week at my Matriculation College at Kedah, I rejected it and go to Form 6, anyway, here are some infos abour Matriculation :-

1. It is fast, just one year of study and you'll be able to enter LOCAL university.

2. Exam based on two semesters, basically, at the end of each semester, you will have to sit for a test called "PSPM"<--I forgot what it stands for.

3. The syllabus you gonna learn there is very limited, let say in STPM you learn from "A" to "F" , however, in matriculation in the same chapter, you only learn the content from "A" to "C", therefore it is quite easy to score in the examinations. But you'll have hard time when learning in university.

4. The studying "life" there is basically almost like university, where you have to look for you own timetable, going different/chasing after class at different locations/buildings.
You will basically have 3 types of classes
- Kuliah [ Meaning you go to the big hall/kuliah with around 200 ppl and the lecturer will talk in front and you take note]
- Tutorial [Normally will be carried out after 12pm in small classes maybe one class around 15 people, depending, something like tuition]
- Amali [Aka Science pratical, only for student who takes Sains Hayat(Bio) or Sains Fizikal(Physics)]

5. But beware of one thing, if you really aim for LOCAL UNIVERSITY, then go for matriculation, because matriculation cert I can say is erm .."less pro" than other cert like private college's A level cert or STPM, as the cert is only acknowledge by local university only, if you show this cert to overseas or private college/uni...they will be like "what on earth is this piece of paper is?"So you gotta retake A level to enter overseas Uni or private college/uni for degree courses...so meaning once you go for matriculations, you only have one and only choice, local university, you can forget about other choices, even scholarships for degree they wont acknowledge the cert...

6. If you go matriculation, it will be around 98% definately can enter local university and the course you want[Medical harder of course]

7. Make sure you are good with other races, especially Bumiputera, basically last time when i went, each room around 3 malay and im the only chinese and this same goes to my other frens in the same college or different college. That time I enter earlier this year, the whole college got around 2K-3K bumi, but only 100 chinese and 3 indians...

8. The living style there:-
Basically there's no curfew, if I'm not mistaken, just do not disturb other ppl late at night
You only can go out during weekends, if you wanna overnight outside, whether go back home or friend's house or whatsoever, just fill in a form and done. But in Kedah it is different, that time when I was there, the "weekends" is on Friday and Saturday...so kinda different from KL here.

9. Normally Matriculation College will be located in a kinda small town or isolated places, so don't expect when you go out of weekend you will be like in KL big town...but you might wanna consider going other places...like mine...in Kedah..during weekend kinda impossible to go back KL...its like whole day wasted to sit bus...however, I can follow my friends who stays at Penang to "jalan jalan"

10. The daily routine there is basically something like this :-
Everyday, classes(Kuliah) starts at 8.00am, then around 2.00pm starts Tutorial classes and then after 4.00, its your own time, but normally a lot of them go "beriadah" as a lot facilites are provided there, that time in my college, have around 4 tennis courts, 4 squash courts, 3 basketball courts, 1 ragby field, 200 bicycles[kinda new], kayak[but no river..dunno how they kayak LOL], running tracks, 2 gyms, football field, hockey court and etc, so the college is kinda BIG. And also a lot cafeterias, so you can change cafeteria you eat if you are bored, mine that time got arounds 5 cafeterias and total of 8 different operators, so basically got 8 "restaurants", cyber cafes and a big library.

11. Sometimes, your class might extend after 4.00pm if the lecturer wanna give extra class.

12. In between the timetable, you will have kokurikulum activity[MUST attend as it is in the timetable, just like your PJK subject in school], Moral class, Kemahiran Dinamika[where they teach you what to wear, what colour mathes what, how you should behave when eating, way of eating , way of stirring the coffe and etc] and English class.
*Note - All these subjects are not counted in your semester exam paper marks, but koku is important, and these's lesson are taken only one time/one semester, meaning, during the 1st semester, Bio Science students taking Moral and English, so the Physics and Art classes are taking Kokurikulum, Kemahiran Dinamika and computer classes, the next semester, they will switched, so basically you only will take your MUET ONCE.

13. Make sure you do well in the exams......if you score CGPA 4.0 [which is kinda common in matriculation] then good, if 2.0, you will be warned, if less than 2.0...you will be expel....and if you CGPA really sark like around 2.0 or lesser....you wont be accepted by local university after you finish the course, but..you will be FORCE to re-study back at the matriculation college for another 1 YEAR and re-take the test. Don't think you score bad and not accepted by local university you wanna quit and pursuit your study outside whether private uni or overseas...you canT advance to degree but you have to retake their A level... or STPM...so in the end you waste like minimum 2 years in Pre-U level[if you plan to retake the matric, or you take A level or STPM else where you gonna take more time, as A level around 1.5 years and STPM around 2 years]

That's all for now I guess, I hope it helps ^^

This post has been edited by -Max91-: Aug 12 2009, 08:16 PM
-Max91-
post Aug 12 2009, 08:27 PM

On my way
526 posts

Yeah, if you wanna know why i reject, then only ask me, hehe..duan give you different impression 1st xD
-Max91-
post Aug 12 2009, 09:41 PM

On my way
526 posts

Erm, I can't really say that STPM is better compared to Matriculation, it's depend on how you look at it...

For me, Matriculation seems to be like a DEAD END for me, its ONLY local university, meaning even if I do how well also, I will just end up be in Local University, not much of choices or I can say, NO choices at all...

Secondly, I'm a person who want to seek for more knowledge(just personal satisfaction), so basically since matriculation's syllabus are limited, I'll got STPM as I can learn more although is it TOUGH, well just put in a bit more effort in I think it will be alright...

Thirdly, also another personal reason, I'm kinda use to living in big vibrant city like KL, going there for a week at Kedah is like "dead place" to me, even their biggest "Shopping mall" in the nearby "pekan" its like a Grocery Shop in KL here =.=

4thly, since learning should become harder and more challenge year by year since standard one until form 5, so why suddenly wanna learn something easier, I said so because I just wanna keep the momentum to learn, so since already got used to getting tougher and harder, then let "momentum of learning" to continue...

5thly, eventhough matriculation have high chance for me to get the course i wan and enter local uni, what if in the end the subject they give me is not really what I want??...Then I HAVE to take it...because I have NO choice already..if they give u "A", u must take "A" already, "B" then "B"..you can't go anywhere else because like I have mentioned earlier, once you go matriculation, you only can go for Local U, if you dunlike the course and quit local u, where else can you study...the matric cert is not acknowledge..dun tell me i gotta waste my time to start anew in pre-u either in STPM or A level?

Lastly, STPM, if I do well, at least I might be able to go overseas, a lot of my friends who took STPM did well they manage to go to Singapore or Japan to study, worse come to worse, I can still go Local University(Although its kinda of hard especially to get the course you want compare to Matriculation students, because Matriculation students get the PRIORITY) or pay more money to pursue my study at Private University/College to continue my degree...

---------------

About entering form 6, its not hard actually, the requirement kinda easy to fufil, and if your school having form 6, then it would be much easier

But one advice, if you wanna go Form 6, make sure you can cope with it, if not it will go wasted...and if you already aim for Local University, then just go for Matriculation, a fast and easy way to enter local university

This post has been edited by -Max91-: Aug 12 2009, 09:45 PM
-Max91-
post Sep 26 2013, 12:41 AM

On my way
526 posts

@Kessy,

I mean of course you can get into Local Uni or private if you manage to score STPM with flying colours. The question is whether will the system allocate to you the course that you really wants in Local University ie. you top 3 choices. From my experience, you hardly get what you applied for as most of them are normally allocated to Matrikulasi students. I had friend who is from Bio-STPM scored a perfect 4.0 and has been a perfect score student since PTS, UPSR, PMR and SPM. He applied for medicine and yet they allocated to him not his 4th choice but his 6th choice.

[Edit]+ Add on, I just realised the post that you quoted was in 2009, by the way, I took the STPM and I did not regret my decision. Now I'm in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore pursuing my degree =D

This post has been edited by -Max91-: Sep 26 2013, 12:44 AM
-Max91-
post Sep 28 2013, 07:39 AM

On my way
526 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ Sep 27 2013, 10:12 AM)
Hi Max,
Firstly, congrats on your enrollment into NTU. Your hard work been paid off. Which faculty are you with now ? Cheers.
Haha thanks ! Erm I started my year 1 in the School of Humanities & Social Sciences in Economics but during year 2 they offered me a second major in Business, so now I'm doing a double major programme in Economics and Business and currently in my 3rd year. And also well, apparently during my STPM I took PA, Maths T, Physics and Chemistry, just that after my STPM I felt like doing something business-ish and econ-ish, so today I can say that I didn't regret with my choice =D

This post has been edited by -Max91-: Sep 28 2013, 07:40 AM
-Max91-
post Sep 30 2013, 05:47 PM

On my way
526 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ Sep 30 2013, 08:47 AM)
Hi Max,
Good that you are doing well. Are you on a 4 year course ?
Yes I am =D

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0155sec    0.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:53 AM