Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
192 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Chubbie Hamster V13

views

TSnezumitaro
post Aug 6 2009, 04:15 PM, updated 15y ago

Taro: I am the KING, all GERBILS are MINE!!
4,711 posts

WELCOME TO V13

user posted image

This post has been edited by nezumitaro: Aug 12 2009, 05:06 PM
TSnezumitaro
post Aug 6 2009, 04:16 PM

4,711 posts

Old Thread
Chubby Hamsters V11
Chubby Hamster V12

A hamster is a rodent belonging to the subfamily Cricetinae. There are 5 types of hamsters, mainly the Syrian, Winter white dwarf, Russian campbell dwarf, Chinese hamsters and Roborovski hamsters.

user posted image

SPECIES:

Syrians (Mesocricetus auratus)
They are the best known species in the pet industry. Syrians are also known as Golden Hamsters because the first domestic hamster was a wild agouti colour, which is called Golden. They have also been called Teddy Bears because does have the fuzziness and roundness of a teddy bear. Syrians are known as fancy hamsters of all the hamster species since they come in many colour varieties and also coat varieties... some can have long fur and some short fur, which we normally call Long Hairs and Short Hairs... also there are fur types like Rex and Satin.

The most important rule about Syrians is that they are SOLITARY... never house 2 together. If breeding, there is a way where you must put the female into the male's cage only when the female is on heat. It is very risky and dangerous to house 2 syrians together at any time since they are very well known to fight till death. So if you treasure the life of your hamster, never put 2 syrians together.

Syrians are large and comfortable to hold. They make suitable hamsters for the beginner keeper. Syrians that are handled properly would rarely or never bite, and can be tame to respond well to touch and voice.

Campbell's Hamster (Phodopus campbelli)
Campbells are probably the most popular of all dwarf hamsters since they come in many colour varieties that makes them attractive. The look similar to Winter White hamsters but they are actually different subspecies. So never mixbreed them.

Campbells are dwarfs... well, small hamsters. Please do not be fooled by petshops telling you they are mini hamsters and giving you a weird price and denying that they are Campbells. Anyway, they come in different colour and patterns but to breed, one must understand that hamsters that have any white spots or markings must never be bred together coz it can produce eyeless or teethless hamsters that die later... so if you were to breed, please read up.

These dwarfs may not be suitable for young children due to some dwarfs are bitey... and because of their small size, it would be harder for children to handle. Campbells are not aggressive biters, it is just that sometimes they will bite when you make them angry or startle them from their sleep.

Campbells are good in a pair or a small colony but always make sure your cage or tank has the space and enough hides and wheels to house a colony. These social hamsters are territorial and would fight off intruders that do not belong to their colony. Campbells are ok when they are introduced at a young age but letting an older hamster be kept with a younger one, most likely a fight would start.

Winter White Hamster (Phodopus sungorus)
WW are hamsters that can change their coat colour when we minimise their daylight. Their coats will change from their normal colours to a white coat but with their dorsal stripe and side arches visible. WW come in 3 colours, which are Agouti, Sapphire and Pearl. The Pearl do not change their coat colour at all, they remain in their white coat colour for life.

WW are different from Campbells, their eyes are bigger, fur is thicker, body is more bullet shape and their ears are less conspicious. It is easy to see the difference if a Campbell and WW were side by side.

WWs are nicer to handle for they have better temperments than Campbells. WW rarely change into their winter coats in captivity, so do not force your hamster to starve and stay in a cold room... this depends on the hamster whether it wants to change or not.

WW are almost similar with Campbells when it comes to pairs and colonies. Always remember, it doesn't necessary mean we should keep them in breeding pairs or male and female colonies. A single sex group is good enough for dwarf hamsters.

WW are known to fight among themselves out of the blue. Many do not understand that WW are territorial dwarfs, they can tolerate siblings or with other WW when introduced at a young age but there would always be a day where they would start fighting. Have spare cages at hand to separate fighting hamsters if you have a pair or a small colony. The best is keeping one. Do not worry, hamsters do not die from loneliness.

Roborovski Hamster (Phodopus roborovskii)
Robos are the smallest species of hamster. Adult Robos are only 2 inches in lenght. Unlike the other dwarfs, Robos do not have a dorsal stripe and they have slightly longer legs. Easy to identify from the size and also its sandy colour and white belly.

Yes, the smallest and also the fastest, this species is very well known for being very fast and active. So they are not very handle friendly since they are likely to jump or run off your palm. Many are really attracted by the facial markings, they appear to have "eyebrows".

Robos enjoy sand baths and a wheel. Due to their small size, one would need to purchase a glass/plastic tank to house them or purchase cages with small bars like the Habitrail Mini...

Robos do very well in little groups. They are the most sociable of all dwarf species and it is very entertaining to watch a small group of robos playing and eating in a tank.

Robos are not a hamster that is suitable for the beginner keeper as it could either be frustrating to have hamsters that run very fast or just unable to handle properly.

Chinese Hamster (Cricetulus griseus)
The Chinese hamster is known for their mousy looks. Yes, they were discovered in China long ago. Many people would say Chinese hamsters are hard to breed in captivity and are difficult to raise. Fighting problems occur so it is best to house them seperately. The Chinese hamster is also referred to as a "mouse-like" hamster because of its short nose, thin body, stocky legs and longer tail.

They do make great pets if they are bred by a proper breeder and have been handled often when young.

This species of hamster in Malaysia is very rare. The last known shop to have sold them were Pets Wonderland at Mid Valley years ago.

========================================================================

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

- Most hamsters do very well alone. Roborovski hamsters can be kept in small groups and best if single sexed but Syrians, Campbells, Winter Whites and Chinese hamsters are best kept on their own. They are always happier that way.

- Never breed hamsters if you do not have the space. Hamsters can reproduce every 20 days or so.

- Hamster fights are never fun to watch.

- Always remember to have food and water available. Never give too much fresh foods as it can give diarrhea to some hamsters, especially pet shop hamsters that have never eaten any veggie before.

- The bigger the cage or tank, the more comfortable for the hamster.

- Syrians need wheels that are about 8 inches in diameter. Wodent Wheels, Sanko Wheels or Silent Spinners have 8 inch wheels.

- NEVER keep different species in 1 cage or tank together... BIG big trouble there, may have some injuries, deaths... and possibility of mixbreeding Campbells with WW... bad idea.

- Hamsters do not have human emotion, they do not feel Love or have emotional feelings like humans. So there really is no reason to breed or keep them in a male and female pair unless you have a purpose as a true hamster breeder.

=========================================================================

Diet

Hamsters should have a good quality staple diet that is available for them throughout the day. Grains are important for hamsters to gain protein, minerals and vitamins as well as the good fat that the body needs to stay healthy. The carbohydrates and natural sugars from grains helps in maintaining your hamster's energy and alertness throughout the day. Wrong or unhealthy diets could cause hamsters to gain weight, show no interest in using it's running wheel and does little throughout the day. Here is a guide on how to feed your hamster healthily.

Try not to go for cheap foods that you see available in the market. Habitrail, Delikate, LM Farms.... all these have little nutritional value because they are loaded with sunflower seeds and dried corn. High in fat and phosphorus. Delikate and Habitrail staple food includes alot of alfalfa pellets (the greenish brown pieces) which hamsters do not like to eat at all and you may end up throwing it away. Choose high quality brands like:

Vitakraft Nature Dinner for Hamsters
user posted image

• Contains nature's best raw materials.
• This scientifically developed mix is healthy, balanced and of premium quality.
• The Natural Variety-Mix contains a wide range of natural ingredients and provides a varied diet.
• Specially enriched with pumpkin seeds, millet-spray and spelt.

Vitakraft Emotion Sensitive Hamster
user posted image

• Healthy, premium quality food for a balanced diet.
• Uses only natural ingredients.
• With calming chamomile for alleviating stress-related digestive problems and rounded wheat grain to protect sensitive cheeks pouches.
• Scientifically developed.

Vitakraft Life Sunshine Food for Hamsters
user posted image
LIFE SUNSHINE - the healthy, crunchy complete mixture. With the natural healing power of rose petals and packed full of vegetable protein (soy and bean flakes)
Packed full of energy, great nutty taste. Contains no white sugar.

Vitakraft Life Wellness Food for Hamsters
user posted image
LIFE WELLNESS - the healthy, premium quality complete mixture. With beetroot pockets (containing vital trace elements), an extra portion of vegetable protein (from dried vegetable flakes), and a wealth of vitamins and minerals (including parsley).
Omega 3 Beauty Complex - for healthy, shiny fur.

Vitakraft Life Power Hamsters
user posted image
LIFE POWER - the tasty and healthy complete mixture. With naturally vitamin-rich dates and added high quality protein. With high-energy peanuts and pumpkin seeds for a great nutty flavour.
VitaGerm® - cold pressed wheat germ with approximately 70 nutrients and active agents.

Harry Hamster - it has quite alot of coloured pellets but quite nutritious and my hamsters eat everything.
user posted image

Fresh food

Hamster needs alot of fresh food daily, but always remember you need to feed in a balance ratio. Offer 50% vegetable and 50% fruits, leaf and non leaf, sweet and non sweet, feed at least 8 - 12 veriaty per week.

Fruits: (Make sure all the seeds that are not edible are removed, grape seeds too)
Apple, Blueberries, Cherries, Cranberries, Dragon Fruit, Grapes, Honey Dew, Kiwi, Mango, Papaya, Peach, Pear, Plum, Rambutan, Star Fruit, Sun Melon, Strawberries, Watermelon.

Try not to offer too much sourish fruits like pineapple, orange and mango.

Veggies:
All vegetables.

Cabbage and Onion is NONO
Cucumber lack of nutritions.

This post has been edited by nezumitaro: Aug 6 2009, 04:20 PM
TSnezumitaro
post Aug 6 2009, 04:17 PM

4,711 posts

Treats

Vitakraft Bisquiti 3-Mix Hamsters
user posted image
A nutritious titbit made of eggs and flour, with wholesome seed.

Vitakraft Muffins Nuts Hamster
user posted image
A light snack for between meals, made of eggs and flour with delicious nuts.

Vitakraft Donuts and Peas Hamsters
user posted image
A light titbit for between meals, made of eggs and flourand succulent peas.

Vitakraft Praline Yogurt / Dandelion for Hamsters
user posted image
Healthy and delicious treats for your hamsters. Contains yogurt, dandelion and packed with Vitamins A, D3 & E.

Vitakraft Praline Yogurt / Aloe Vera
user posted image
Healthy and delicious treats for your hamsters. Contains yogurt, aloe vera and packed with Vitamins A, D3 & E.

Vitakraft Praline Yogurt / Cranberry
user posted image
Healthy and delicious treats for your hamsters. Contains yogurt, cranberry and packed with Vitamins A, D3 & E.

Bathing a Hamster
By Tammo ~ quote from Hamsterific.com

Bathing removes natural and essential oils from the hamster’s coat, which can cause the hamster to catch a chill and die.

Bathing should only be done in exceptional circumstances, like if your hamster has paint, varnish or anything toxic on its coat that may harm it if it licks itself or ingests it. The hamster will clean itself if it is dirty and the substance is not toxic. Chinchilla sand will keep the coat clean and grease free. Normally there should be no need to bathe your hamster with water at all during the course of its life.

If your hamster does get toxic or harmful substances on its coat, then you must bathe it unless you are able to cut it out of the coat, e.g. if there is gum or something sticky, that can usually be cut out of the coat.

The best way to bath a hamster is this:

1. Get a bowl containing 2 inches of warm water. Test the temperature with your elbow to make sure it is not too hot or too cold.
2. Wet the hamster and gently rub it into the dirty area to cleanse it. Take extreme care not to let any water get near the nose, mouth, ears or eyes.
3. If your hamster has something particularly sticky that’s can’t be cut out in its fur, then you can use shampoo, but it must be baby shampoo. Again, make sure not to get it near the hamster’s face.
4. Carefully rinse out the shampoo, and place the hamster on a towel. Dry very carefully; be careful of the hamster’s legs.
5 .Then, get a hairdryer and put it on its lowest setting. Hold it very far from the hamster and always keep your hand between the dryer and the hamster to avoid burning the skin. ** Since we are in Malaysia, I would recommended to put them in sand bath, then put the carrier to the area with abit sun light. but NOT DIRECT sunlight.
6. Wash your hamster on a warm day if possible to lessen chances of getting a chill. ** noon 12pm - 3pm
7. Make sure the fur is completely dry before returning the hamster to its cage or the shavings will stick to the damp fur.

This is not a safe way to bathe a hamster. There are no safe ways to do it. So please do not wash your hamster if it smells or looks a bit grubby.

Only if there is something toxic on the fur that cannot be cut off. This method carries the same risks as all others but this is the best way if you absolutely have to do it.

If your hamster smells bad, it may be sick and should be brought to the vet as soon as possible. To keep your hamster clean and healthy, make sure its living conditions are cleaned out regularly.

Useful links (credit to Acey)The Hamster Name Generator (thanks to Gazard7)

Lowyat.net Siggy (free to use, a big thank you to Hao tongue.gif ):
user posted image

CODE
[url=http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/772900][img]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9324/hamstersig8xi.jpg[/img][/url]

TSnezumitaro
post Aug 6 2009, 04:18 PM

4,711 posts

It is often found that many people do not possess a strong reading and researching habit. Although there are often long and informative posts on the first page, newbies do not seem to read them and have to be reminded frequently to do so.

Here I have made some simple and short notes. I sincerely hope that newbies will take at least 5 minutes to read them.

Housing & Setup:

Winter Whites, Russian Campbell Dwarf Hamsters, Roborovskis and Chinese Dwarfs can be housed in the below cages as well as a 1.5ft Plastic Guppy tank.
user posted image

Syrian Hamsters need to be housed as below, with either an 8 inch Wodent Wheel or a 21cm Sanko Silent Wheel:
user posted image

Items needed:
- A right size of tank or cage.
- A wheel is MANDATORY.
- A water bottle
- A food dish/bowl
- A toilet (if your hamster is toilet trained, Syrians are easy to toilet train)
- Bedding: Breeder Celect, Corn Cob, Wood Shavings (no pine, no cedar)

Diet & Supplement:

Main Diet:
- Vitakraft Premium High Range Hamster
- Nutri-Smoothie (a Balanced Diet of fresh)
- Oxbow Hay Cake
- LC-Vit Syrup (Multi-Vitamin)
- Calci-Aid (for growing pups and nursing mothers)
- Organic Vegetarian Powder

Others:
- Rolled Oat
- Millets
- Sesame Seed
- Wheat Germ
- Buckwheat
- Dahl
- Pumpkim Seed
- Toufu
- Almond Seed

Note: Ratio of mixing Prestige Hamster: Britter Bunny; 1 bag(800gm) : ¼ bag(250gm)

BIG NO-NO food!!
- Chocolate
- Onion
- Garlic
- Cabbage
- Orange
- Pineapple
- Grapes
- Coffee
TSnezumitaro
post Aug 6 2009, 04:18 PM

4,711 posts

Hamster Event & Gathering

Gathering:

QUOTE(sangels @ Nov 5 2008, 07:05 PM)

Added on November 5, 2008, 7:00 pmCalling for Fatsoso owner: rclxm9.gif  rclxm9.gif

Hipo - anderyna
Hercules - IcedNyior
Bolster - vergas
Noisie - Mikelim2020
Mainie - shayne
Nottie - Babymoli

I'm thinking of having a gathering for all Fatsoso owners and invite Mama Foo to see her products after about 3 months of re-homing. I'm sure she misses them so much by now and wanna see them as they are so much bigger since she last saw them. PLEASE give me feedback so that I can arrange place (Hopefully Pet Shack agree to lend us the place tongue.gif ) as that is the place where all Fatsoso being separated from their 'family'. I'm hereby to ask all the owner to PM me if any questions or suggestions regarding this event. You always can put up your suggestions here.

For other hamster owners and 3rd batch Fatsoso waiting list candidates are also welcome for the gathering with your hamster (if you want). Come join us for the fun!

SUGGESTION: icon_idea.gif  icon_idea.gif  icon_idea.gif

Date: one of the Saturday in December (pls list down which Sat you are available)
Time: 1pm - 5pm
Venue: Pet Shack
(to be confirm with the owner)

- please edit this post with your name and available date at below as reply-

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

THANK YOU notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
Event:

Vote for Photo Competition
Photo Competition
TSnezumitaro
post Aug 6 2009, 04:19 PM

4,711 posts

Syrian bring up with balanced fresh smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
eric138
post Aug 6 2009, 04:20 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

Congratz~ biggrin.gif
NoiZy
post Aug 6 2009, 04:29 PM

Casual
460 posts

rclxms.gif New thread, yay thumbup.gif
rclxm9.gif
HyourinMaru
post Aug 6 2009, 04:32 PM

THORChad
502 posts

Yay~New thread rclxm9.gif
Finally biggrin.gif
the_catacombs
post Aug 6 2009, 06:10 PM

8 stars wooo....
10,975 posts

reporting in biggrin.gif
east_wing
post Aug 6 2009, 06:25 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

Yeah...I'm reporting In also...
Congratz..!!!!
rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
danny94
post Aug 6 2009, 06:29 PM

Getting Started
263 posts

My syrian everyday sleep onli.
grats on new thread!!
HyourinMaru
post Aug 6 2009, 06:32 PM

THORChad
502 posts

QUOTE(danny94 @ Aug 6 2009, 06:29 PM)
My syrian everyday sleep onli.
grats on new thread!!
Same here laugh.gif
east_wing
post Aug 6 2009, 06:40 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

yeah...mine sleep oways...but at night.pergghhhh~~~~~Hyper active..hehehe~
LalaBubbles
post Aug 6 2009, 06:45 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

1st picture wrong liao...should be welcome to chubbie hamster v13 tongue.gif
SugarCoatedCandy
post Aug 6 2009, 06:48 PM

Digital Overlord (Website Manager) lulz!
1,434 posts

Congrats on the new version!!! rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
sharkie28
post Aug 6 2009, 09:50 PM

27 posts

yay!yay!yay! finally!!!!!!!
Lisacrs
post Aug 6 2009, 10:30 PM

36 posts

Congrats^^
eric138
post Aug 7 2009, 04:57 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(LalaBubbles @ Aug 6 2009, 06:45 PM)
1st picture wrong liao...should be welcome to chubbie hamster v13 tongue.gif
no worry, i am sure nezu will edit it soon... biggrin.gif
yana_adell
post Aug 7 2009, 09:13 AM

36 posts

HOORAY.. NEW THREAD VERSION!!! Congratz to V13... rclxms.gif notworthy.gif

192 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0260sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:48 PM