Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Budget of RM50K. Need new car. Persona or MYVI?

leongwk15
post Jul 14 2009, 11:43 PM

Group: Junior Member

Hi Guys & Gals

I really need your comment, opinion and advice. I have a budget of RM50K and plans to buy a new car for my wife. She is a bank manager where she needs to travel abit. What car can I get? Guess is either Persona and MyVI. Which is overall better?

Persona vs MyVI :

1) Engine : MyVI wins coz DVVT
2) Power : Persona wins
3) Fuel Consumption : MyVI wins
4) Built finishing quality : ????
5) Stability & handling : Persona wins
6) Trunk storage size : Persona wins
7) Resell value : ????
8) Maintenance cost : ????

From the forum here I found out and summarized both car main problems.

Persona
1) IAFM is not stable & maybe problematic.

MyVI
1) Poor alarm system. Lots of MyVI stolen.
2) When fill full tank, petrol smell in cabin.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Please do add in comments, advice, opinion and your experience with both car.

Which car to choose or should I look for a Japanese 2nd hand car?

Thanks.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jamban_awam
post Jul 14 2009, 11:49 PM

Pesona or gen-2 cps would be my choice. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Shawnzz
post Jul 14 2009, 11:54 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

myvi win all
+Quote Post
enjoice
post Jul 14 2009, 11:57 PM

watch top gear S13E03 u will know..
+Quote Post
ojan
post Jul 15 2009, 12:02 AM

Getting Started

for a woman, i think myvi is more suitable but it bit overprice and overrated. for long travel persona i think better.. just my opinion anyway, bring ur wife to showroom and test drive both..
+Quote Post
SleeplessEyes
post Jul 15 2009, 12:12 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me

If it was me,I wont go for neither both for long distance.
Both don't have the status to carry as a Manager.

One is a fuel guzzler around town and still not thrifty enough on the highway.

Another (MYVI) can be a fuel saver, but can be bumpy on the highway,unless she doesn't mind. Please, take the Manual if u want ultimate fuel saving, but again, which woman would ever touch a manual gear?

Furthermore,
Dont be surprise, the MYVI boot can still pack 2 luggages for 2 adults.
If you talk about Alarm system, both cars ain't great, especially Proton's flimsy alarm system. U really need to upgrade the alarm system as it's overly common.

However, of course, MYVI being a Japanese technology (in case you dont know),but built in Malaysia, is better than the Persona.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Jul 15 2009, 12:15 AM
+Quote Post
Shawnzz
post Jul 15 2009, 01:08 AM

Regular

persona= blind spot
+Quote Post
Matrix
post Jul 15 2009, 09:21 AM

King of Char Siew!

QUOTE(leongwk15 @ Jul 14 2009, 11:43 PM)
Hi Guys & Gals

I really need your comment, opinion and advice. I have a budget of RM50K and plans to buy a new car for my wife. She is a bank manager where she needs to travel abit. What car can I get? Guess is either Persona and MyVI. Which is overall better?

Persona vs MyVI :

1) Engine : MyVI wins coz DVVT
2) Power : Persona wins
3) Fuel Consumption : MyVI wins
4) Built finishing quality : 50/50
5) Stability & handling : Persona wins
6) Trunk storage size : Persona wins
7) Resell value : Myvi
8) Maintenance cost : ????

From the forum here I found out and summarized both car main problems.

Persona
1) IAFM is not stable & maybe problematic.

MyVI
1) Poor alarm system. Lots of MyVI stolen.
2) When fill full tank, petrol smell in cabin.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Please do add in comments, advice, opinion and your experience with both car.

Which car to choose or should I look for a Japanese 2nd hand car?

Thanks.
My take. If she needs frequent city travel. Then a MYVI will be better...easier parking and better FC. If it's long distance travel, i wouldn't recommend MYVI, go for Persona. But i held my reservation for IAFM. Better go for Waja CPS.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andrew Lim
post Jul 15 2009, 09:34 AM

No Gods or Kings. Only Man.

Ah. I'm been considering this question myself - Persona or MyVi?

Based on my amateur research on the internet, Persona appears to be a better driver's car. Better handling, power, and a large boot to... er... boot. However it has reliability problems: IAFM, funny sounds, etc.

MyVi is more reliable, better FC and has more music features (USB/Bluetooth), but it's probably not as fun to handle on the highway back to your hometown. Also, if you want to stand out of the crowd, this is the last model you'll want to get. Since it's everywhere. On the plus side, no shortage of parts in the future.

If it were up to me, I'd choose MyVi. Many of my friends own a MyVi and they have no regrets.

+Quote Post
leongwk15
post Jul 15 2009, 10:21 AM

Its seems that Proton is also killing itself as there is so much complaint about their Service center and scam and rip off. I understand why some prefer to choose MyVI even though is over priced and lose out to sedan size.

Don't Proton top management knows about this and fix the SC problem. Or is it to many SC and Proton don't noe how to handle them.

Since this car is for my wife, I would like to have a more reliable engine as you noe most ladies worry about car breakdown and problem. If not I would wait and hunt for a good 2nd hand car.

Nowadays, ppl like me who "makan gaji", is most logical and economical to drive cars which is below RM50K and below 1.6cc. Can save some $$$ for the house and family.

It would be nice if I get to drive a company car?
+Quote Post
sphiroth
post Jul 15 2009, 10:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(leongwk15 @ Jul 15 2009, 10:21 AM)
Its seems that Proton is also killing itself as there is so much complaint about their Service center and scam and rip off. I understand why some prefer to choose MyVI even though is over priced and lose out to sedan size.

Don't Proton top management knows about this and fix the SC problem. Or is it to many SC and Proton don't noe how to handle them.

Since this car is for my wife, I would like to have a more reliable engine as you noe most ladies worry about car breakdown and problem. If not I would wait and hunt for a good 2nd hand car.

Nowadays, ppl like me who "makan gaji", is most logical and economical to drive cars which is below RM50K and below 1.6cc. Can save some $$$ for the house and family.

It would be nice if I get to drive a company car?
Assuming that this is a 2nd car, get the myvi. If not, get the persona as sooner or later you will regret not having a boot (especially in durian season). nod.gif
+Quote Post
harith_gtr34
post Jul 15 2009, 10:28 AM

Getting Started

Persona when u make a u-turn, u must take huge distance because the steering rotation is very sucks.

Myvi's cabin is so huge...

Overall Persona is the best... thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
Andrew Lim
post Jul 15 2009, 10:31 AM

I wish Perodua would try re-badging sedans instead of hatchbacks.
Imagine a Perodua sedan that costs less than <50k. drool.gif
+Quote Post
xin
post Jul 15 2009, 10:40 AM

Maisonducat Storekeeper

QUOTE(Andrew Lim @ Jul 15 2009, 10:31 AM)
When a hatch Myvi is in the range of 50k, ehh rebadging a sedan i think it will not be cheaper than Myvi itself.

Since TS, you have already taken account of Proton's after sales service being unpleasant then just go for Myvi then. You did test drive both cars in long and short distance right ?
+Quote Post
Matrix
post Jul 15 2009, 10:51 AM

King of Char Siew!

QUOTE(Andrew Lim @ Jul 15 2009, 10:31 AM)
It's not that they don't try...I believe they DON'T HAVE LICENSE FOR IT. I think there are restriction to their business...can only sell compact cars, not sedans....otherwise, we'll have VIOS rebadge already at 50K....Proton can immediately bungkus already.

This post has been edited by Matrix: Jul 15 2009, 10:51 AM
+Quote Post
xin
post Jul 15 2009, 10:55 AM

Maisonducat Storekeeper

50k for a sedan rebadge ? dun think so .. even they rebadge sure 60k for low spec n 70k for high spec .. then Toyota Vios not selling ... so they can sell overpriced Myvi and also rebadge Vios easily cuz those potential Vios buyers will think ..waa cheap so much compare to Toyota Vios le ...
+Quote Post
sphiroth
post Jul 15 2009, 11:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Matrix @ Jul 15 2009, 10:51 AM)
It's not that they don't try...I believe they DON'T HAVE LICENSE FOR IT. I think there are restriction to their business...can only sell compact cars, not sedans....otherwise, we'll have VIOS rebadge already at 50K....Proton can immediately bungkus already.
Perodua was established to develope small compact cars (<1.3l) while proton can focus in developing the bigger sedan car.
+Quote Post
Matrix
post Jul 15 2009, 11:05 AM

King of Char Siew!

QUOTE(xin @ Jul 15 2009, 10:55 AM)
50k for a sedan rebadge ? dun think so .. even they rebadge sure 60k for low spec n 70k for high spec .. then Toyota Vios not selling ... so they can sell overpriced Myvi and also rebadge Vios easily cuz those potential Vios buyers will think ..waa cheap so much compare to Toyota Vios le ...
Why not? That's the price of the VIOS if you take out the 30k tax and if i'm not wrong, Thailand VIOS hovers there also.

Remember, VIOS(like Honda City) is NOT a luxury car. It is a cheap budget sedan make for the ASEAN market. Somehow, due to our tax, we are paying luxury price for budget car...doh.gif

If they have license to rebadge a car like VIOS, Toyota don't need to sell the VIOS here. Why try to selll the same car at 80k when you can sell it at 50k while making the SAME PROFIT MARGIN?? , Toyota then can just concentrate on the upper range sedan like ALTIS and what's not.

Anyway it's wishful thinking. Proton is here to suck us forever.

Added on July 15, 2009, 11:07 am
QUOTE(sphiroth @ Jul 15 2009, 11:00 AM)
Perodua was established to develope small compact cars (<1.3l) while proton can focus in developing the bigger sedan car.
Yes, that is correct. This is also a way to protect Proton. But i think now, the global challenges has change too much, they can't do this forever.

P2 is now allowed to have an MPV car with a 1.5 engine. But still no sedan allowed. The rumoured new Myvi replacement is said to be using the 1.5 engine also.

This post has been edited by Matrix: Jul 15 2009, 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
Andrew Lim
post Jul 15 2009, 11:21 AM

Anybody here considered buying the Kia Rio?
40k only for a 1.4L car. hmm.gif
+Quote Post
joanalooidog
post Jul 15 2009, 11:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!

dun forget inokom getz 1.4, good choice as well.

+Quote Post
sphiroth
post Jul 15 2009, 11:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Matrix @ Jul 15 2009, 11:05 AM)
Yes, that is correct. This is also a way to protect Proton. But i think now, the global challenges has change too much, they can't do this forever.
Yeah, but remember those tax are an income for the G. If given a choice between high tax on imported car and high income tax, I will choose the former. A colleague of mine working in UK can afford good cars but need to pays 35% income tax.
+Quote Post
xin
post Jul 15 2009, 11:46 AM

Maisonducat Storekeeper

QUOTE(Matrix @ Jul 15 2009, 11:05 AM)
Why not? That's the price of the VIOS if you take out the 30k tax and if i'm not wrong, Thailand VIOS hovers there also.

Remember, VIOS(like Honda City) is NOT a luxury car. It is a cheap budget sedan make for the ASEAN market. Somehow, due to our tax, we are paying luxury price for budget car...doh.gif

If they have license to rebadge a car like VIOS, Toyota don't need to sell the VIOS here. Why try to selll the same car at 80k when you can sell it at 50k while making the SAME PROFIT MARGIN?? , Toyota then can just concentrate on the upper range sedan like ALTIS and what's not.
And you will be expecting Myvi to be cheaper ? The current Vios is marketed on 70-90k fyi. The same profit margin was made for Toyota UMW and solely itself if i grab what you meant ? But having the plan to rebadge, you also need to consider Perodua into the game. But solely have Toyota to gain the profit, what is there for Perodua's profit ? If rebadging is that dirt cheap, we would have gotten Myvi at less than 40k instead it is 50k over here ? And dont make me get into Viva which is supposed to be a budget ride, look at the price rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
sphiroth
post Jul 15 2009, 11:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(xin @ Jul 15 2009, 11:46 AM)
And you will be expecting Myvi to be cheaper ? The current Vios is marketed on 70-90k fyi. The same profit margin was made for Toyota UMW and solely itself if i grab what you meant ? But having the plan to rebadge, you also need to consider Perodua into the game. But solely have Toyota to gain the profit, what is there for Perodua's profit ? If rebadging is that dirt cheap, we would have gotten Myvi at less than 40k instead it is 50k over here ? And dont make me get into Viva which is supposed to be a budget ride, look at the price  rclxub.gif
I don't think re-badging is cheap for a long run. That's why Iswara use to be sold for 45k (if not mistaken) when its launch. hmm.gif
+Quote Post
xin
post Jul 15 2009, 12:00 PM

Maisonducat Storekeeper

QUOTE(sphiroth @ Jul 15 2009, 11:54 AM)
I don't think re-badging is cheap for a long run. That's why Iswara use to be sold for 45k (if not mistaken) when its launch. hmm.gif
Thats the point, rebadging will definitely cheaper than the original model but not as dirt cheap as anyone hoped for. Many factors are to be counted into it. it is not like yeah we can put Vios rebadge in to 50k and Myvi can lowered to 30k then Viva can sell as 15k ..lol .. it just doesnt goes as we hoped for.
+Quote Post
Matrix
post Jul 15 2009, 12:07 PM

King of Char Siew!

QUOTE(xin @ Jul 15 2009, 12:00 PM)
Thats the point, rebadging will definitely cheaper than the original model but not as dirt cheap as anyone hoped for. Many factors are to be counted into it. it is not like yeah we can put Vios rebadge in to 50k and Myvi can lowered to 30k then Viva can sell as 15k ..lol .. it just doesnt goes as we hoped for.
Err..i never said anything about Myvi lowered to 30k! doh.gif Myvi and VIVA don't have a 30k tax tag like VIOS. I believe the tax imposed on P2 and Proton cars is a few Ks only. Don't simply make assumption without knowing the details...

Myvi can sell along the rebadged VIOS at around the same price, why not? Different segment. Some people will still prefer a compact compared to sedans.

One thing we can all agreed is VIVA is overpriced junk. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Matrix: Jul 15 2009, 12:11 PM
+Quote Post
Andrew Lim
post Jul 15 2009, 12:24 PM

QUOTE(Matrix @ Jul 15 2009, 12:07 PM)
One thing we can all agreed is VIVA is overpriced junk.  laugh.gif
For the 660-850cc, I think paying 28k-32k is reasonable, since I feel it's better than Kancil.
Of course the 1.0L is still overpriced. It should be 40k at most.
+Quote Post
xin
post Jul 15 2009, 01:36 PM

Maisonducat Storekeeper

QUOTE(Matrix @ Jul 15 2009, 12:07 PM)
Err..i never said anything about Myvi lowered to 30k! doh.gif Myvi and VIVA don't have a 30k tax tag like VIOS. I believe the tax imposed on P2 and Proton cars is a few Ks only. Don't simply make assumption without knowing the details...

Myvi can sell along the rebadged VIOS at around the same price, why not? Different segment. Some people will still prefer a compact compared to sedans.

One thing we can all agreed is VIVA is overpriced junk.  laugh.gif
I dont plan to go into statistical for this. Easily summed that Vios is to be rebadged, it is not formible to have it marketed the same price as Myvi to start of. If possible, is there any article on this 30k special tax for vios ?

Viva is always overpriced and i totally agree with you, even the Myvi is overpriced too. A compact hatch at rm50k while it is rebadged is total overkill. No wonder other makers does not lowered their prices since national brands are in such a price frame.
+Quote Post
farghmee
post Jul 15 2009, 01:57 PM

Getting Started

TS, if any car suits ur need, then buy it smile.gif

+Quote Post
klk89
post Jul 15 2009, 02:10 PM

Getting Started

I suggest you go have a test drive on both cars. Then, let you decide which car suits you best. If boot storage is your main priority, go for Persona. If you want to have a car just for you to get from City A to City B, go for Myvi. Persona more for highway driving. Cheerio.
+Quote Post
leongwk15
post Jul 15 2009, 06:24 PM

Just received a call from my friend. Her husband wants to sell his Nissan Sentra 1.6cc 2006 for RM58k. One onwer. Accident free. Mileage 100,000km. He wants to buy a Toyota Estima. I haven't got a chance to see and test the car. I am abit worry about the heavy mileage for a 3yr old car. With over 100,000km, there is no more warranty.

Is it worth buying this car?

Any problem with this car?
Spare part price & availbility?
Fuel consumption?
Anything else I should know of?

Thanks.

+Quote Post
dickybird
post Oct 12 2009, 05:24 PM

Casual

QUOTE(sphiroth @ Jul 15 2009, 11:44 AM)
Yeah, but remember those tax are an income for the G. If given a choice between high tax on imported car and high income tax, I will choose the former. A colleague of mine working in UK can afford good cars but need to pays 35% income tax.
he pay high tax not to subsidize a local crappy car maker! he gets it back in good quality healthcare, policing and education for his kids. our high car prices are also caused by APs gomen give out to their machai. so give me moderate taxes and cheap cars but expensive petrol. so ppl will not do stupid things like taking a nap in the car park with the AC and engine ON. wtf! coz petrol so CHEAP!
+Quote Post
victor87
post Oct 12 2009, 05:56 PM

Casual

why pay so much moneh for a milo tin??

goyang goyang lepas 140km/h is danger.. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
seancorr
post Oct 12 2009, 07:32 PM

Casual

QUOTE(leongwk15 @ Jul 15 2009, 06:24 PM)
Just received a call from my friend. Her husband wants to sell his Nissan Sentra 1.6cc 2006 for RM58k. One onwer. Accident free. Mileage 100,000km. He wants to buy a Toyota Estima. I haven't got a chance to see and test the car. I am abit worry about the heavy mileage for a 3yr old car. With over 100,000km, there is no more warranty.

Is it worth buying this car?

Any problem with this car?
Spare part price & availbility?
Fuel consumption?
Anything else I should know of?

Thanks.
My colleague recently gotten himself the same Sentra like u said above. No power is what he told me abt the car. Generally there's no prob with the Sentra but the 100k mileage is really high...just worried abt the wear & tear of other parts in the car.

IMHO I suggest u to get a brand new car. It will give u a peace of mind in terms of warranty. Persona is a good car..big on space. Myvi's boot is an issue but if u got no probs abt small boot then Myvi will b ok 4 u.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0732sec    1.76    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 09:53 AM