Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Everything About Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray media discussions

views

Mov_freak
post Jun 28 2009, 10:59 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(Lone*Wolf @ Jun 28 2009, 09:10 PM)
Why no answer to this? Or am I in wrong thread, this is only for BD Movies Titles only?

Also, are all BD Players now region free?
How good a HD or BD PQ and SQ all boils down to how much effort the owner of the material put "transfering/translating" the source material (the orginal film) to HD formats.

Take 2001 for example, alot of effort were put into transfering that to BD and the end results shows! Even some newer movie cannot compare in terms of PQ and SQ...

This is NOT a new thing. The same applies to DVD. Not all DVD are equal. But, with HD, the end product's PQ and SQ's quality are MORE apparent
Mov_freak
post Jun 29 2009, 04:19 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(aiman04 @ Jun 29 2009, 07:51 AM)
For 2001: A Space Odissey, it's not just efforts that gave the excellent PQ. The film was shot on a 70mm film, essentially double the resolution of the 35mm normally used today. Nowadays only IMAX format uses 70mm film, you can see the difference between IMAX and anamorphic 35mm Panavision scenes in one same movie, The Dark Knight. The documentary, Baraka also uses 70mm (using some customized camera, not IMAX) and the PQ is simply stunning, one the best PQ on BD out there (scanned at 8k resolution instead of 4k normally, and downconverted to 2k (1080p) for the BD). Predator was given the best transfer but was not cosidered as good PQ with so much grains, but that's just how the film supposed to look.
True, both 2001 and Baraka were filmed in 70mm. But scanning the negative/positive to digital format, it NOT a matter of just scanning from film to harddisk/storage.

I remember that when George Lucas reissued the Star Wars: New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, he made it an effort to inform end-user the pain staking work they put in to reissued the said material. (Some film stock Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and black, run/evaporate. And to make matters worst, they evaporate at different rate. So the master stock of the said star wars movie, appeared "greenish") Also, depending on how the master film stocks are handled, scratches and dust particles might accumulate as well (if you had watched Grindhouse, Death Trap and Planet Terror, you'll know how this will look. The difference is in Grindhouse, this EFFECT is on purpose). So during (where film dust and scratches can be handled)/after scanning master film stocks to digital format (reintroducing missing Cyan, Magenta and Yellow information can be done).

So quality of BD disc is still up to how much effort the owner of the material puts into it. Disney company has a good track record when it come to introducing their movie on BD.

Sony because of lack of content, bought MGM for it's James Bond property!!

Some company, issued movies like Speed Racer, maybe because it bombed at the box office, doesn't even have PCM/Dolby Digital HD/Master DTS Lossless for it's sound track!!?!

I remember in the initial stage of introducing the DVD format, because the Mpeg II decoding was still relatively new, the people who are encoding from analog to digital found that encoding analog to digital were iffy at time. Like the scene in The Exorcist, where there is a shot of the headlights of a train, encoding the same scene several time gave several DIFFERENT results....

So in short lets hope the different movie company really understand the reason behind people buying BD is because of the PQ and SQ and therefore invest in proper translation.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Jun 29 2009, 04:58 PM
Mov_freak
post Jun 29 2009, 05:01 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(aiman04 @ Jun 29 2009, 04:31 PM)
I didn't argue about how much "efforts" will affect the transfer. Read my post carefully, I said "not just efforts" which means I agree but there are other factors too.

Let's say the studio put the same transfer "efforts" for 2 movies, one 70mm and the other 35mm. Same condition etc, the 70mm should still be better than 35mm right? That's my whole point. It's just one of many factors.
Er... I wasn't disagree with your 70mm vs 30 mm statement.

I apologise if my previous thread "sounded" agressive

If there were any agression, believe me it is more towards produces of BD disc who believe that people would buy the BD because it is a bd and no effort whatsoever needs to be put into producing the bd
Mov_freak
post Jul 3 2009, 12:42 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(horray @ Jul 2 2009, 04:22 PM)
Hang on, is there a difference?

Prawn ori - copy from ori?
Prawn jack sparrow - downloaded HD content?  hmm.gif
Hmmm.... I thought Sony SWORE there won't be any "Adult Movies" available on the Blu-Ray format, seeing how their BetaMax format was "indirectly" KILLED by the "Adult Movies" industry (in the 80s)!!??
Mov_freak
post Jul 5 2009, 09:53 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

Michael Buble (Caught in the Act)

You can see the perspiration on his upper lip!!! tongue.gif

Yes it has DTS Master Audio HD.

I actually have this on DVD as well and had never enjoyed it as much!!

YOU CAN SEE THE PERSPIRATION ON HIS UPPER LIP!!! tongue.gif

Mov_freak
post Jul 5 2009, 10:57 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(mpyw @ Jul 5 2009, 09:20 AM)
The Michael Buble one hor....
using DTS-MA 5.1....you guys got singer's voice come from center ar? Mine don't have, the voice from L/R just like Jacky Cheong one....
me using bitstream from my BDP.....thought it's my BDP problem and reply using PS3 sending LPCM over....info shows DTS-MA 5.1 but still no sound from center....then i thought it's my speaker problem....so I sent PCM 2.0 and matrix to Dolby PLII, the center then got sound....doh.gif

it's my BD problem or thats the way the recording done?  blink.gif  sad.gif
Yeah, L/R speakers, but if speakers placement correct (eg you are sitting in the sweet spot) sounds like it is in the middle.

Hope this helps
Mov_freak
post Jul 10 2009, 01:03 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

Yes Ice Age 3 uses the same Dolby 3D technology as Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Mov_freak
post Jul 15 2009, 05:03 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(kkChan @ Jul 15 2009, 04:44 PM)
Seems like $peedi is reducing some of BDs rated price to RM119.90 for some movies, but there are also RM159.90/RM149.90 ones...
2 concert discs at RM79.90 (?)

Redcliff 1 & 2 also cheaper...
Actually, alot of the RM119.90 are actually Berjaya HVN imports, therefore it is cheaper. Go to any Video Ezy shop and u'll see what I mean
Mov_freak
post Aug 3 2009, 04:41 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(Barricade @ Aug 3 2009, 04:30 PM)
wah lau.... all these 30s uncle... still watch thundercats
U say THAT as if it was a bad thing!!!!!?! tongue.gif
Mov_freak
post Aug 9 2009, 09:30 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

Hi People

I recently purchased and enjoyed David Foster and Friends Concert!

Excellent BD.

Bought it from a retail shop, and the sales person (who is now like a friend) warns me of reports that Warner's BD surface peels or scratch easily. And once that happens, you can kiss that BD goodbye.

So, care for you Warner BD properly

icon_rolleyes.gif

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0349sec    0.34    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:12 PM