Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> IEM/BEM Graduate Exam, Need more information on this please

firebomber
post Jun 21 2009, 02:52 PM

Group: Junior Member

Hello,

I am one of the "victim" graduating from university of sheffield (1+2 course) in UK with 3 yrs course and ended up cannot register with BEM as graduate member. (ECUK changed their spec to only accredit 4 yrs course and BEM is referring back to ECUK for accredited degree done in UK universities). So, i have made up my mind to sit for the IEM/BEM exam rather than taking up part time Master course in Local U and i will have to sit for full part 2 and part 3 exam. I had even bought the RM10 CD from IEM which contains only a pdf file outlining all the syllabus of the papers to be taken (damn conman) without give a list of recommended reading book list...LOL. I am not really sure which book i have to buy and read for each paper although they provide the general syllabus for the subject, can anyone provide a reading list or any information such as pass year papers..etc to help me to pass the exam? I am in Mechanical Discipline btw.

Part 2 Exam Subjects

Compulsory

DG202 Engineering Materials II
DG204 Management for Engineers
DG205 Advanced Engineering Analysis
DM203 Heat Transfer
DM204 Mechanics of Solids
DM206 Gas Dynamics
DM207 Applied Thermodynamics

DG200 Project I (Ouch!!)

Group A (Select one)

DM205 Dynamics of Mechanical Systems
DM208 Manufacturing Technology
DM209 Quality and Reliability Engineering
DM210 Analysis and Design of Manufacturing Systems
DC206 Computational Mechanics using Finite Element Method

Part 3 Exam

PG300 Project II (Ouch Ouch!!)
PG301 Industrial Training (WTF??)

looking at the subjects above, i almost fainted...got so stressed since very limited information were provided by IEM ,how am i going to pass all that....Rm500 per paper...sob sob..
Please help me if you have more info...thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redwine2
post Jun 21 2009, 02:57 PM

Getting Started

hi firebomber

first of all, thanks a lot for the information you give. Is it compulsory to register with BEM/IEM cause many engineer never register themselves? and to spend so much money after studying in UK then come back again have to pay RM 500 per paper is way way too much.

sorry i do not have information about it. I am too engineer but i never register, my family member too mechanical engineer but i never hear them saying about registering with BEM/IEM only certain job require it i think.
+Quote Post
firebomber
post Jun 21 2009, 10:21 PM

It is not important if you are working in a contractor / manufacturing field, but if you are working in a design/consultancy companies, then some of them may require you to register because according to law, it is illegal to perform engineering work if you do not register as engineer with BEM (whether IR or not). I am working in oil & gas design company and they actually require all the engineer to register with BEM, but for my case, my manager said normally people dont really bother, so i think its just for the law things. Of course my company need IR to approve the design drawing but they are normally signed by one of my company's senior VP (IR of course). However, most of my senior engineers are IR. Hmm..to me to get IR or not is not that important but to register with BEM is quite important, because normally to tender design project in oil & gas you will need at least 10 yrs experience instead of IR (which will only serve as supplementary support for the tender). But cannot register with BEM really troubles me....damn ECUK, why the hell they changed their spec. For those who is doing or did M.Eng....no worries, the degree is recognized in UK as well as in M'sia.

Anyway, can anyone please give more information on the matters above pls...really need help.

Thanks
+Quote Post
tanjinjack
post Jun 21 2009, 10:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

ECUK actually makes a difference between 'recognise' and 'accredit'. ECUK recognises their 3 years BEng, and only accredits their 4 years MEng (or BEng+approved MSc). The accreditation is the part related to the Washington Accord which says only engineers with at least 4 years of studies can become Ir. (CEng) etc.
I cannot confirm you but I think there is no problem for you to register as a member (or associate member) with BEM. It's just that you cannot qualify to become an Ir. in the end only. There are few universities/colleges offering a 3 years degree here. There are also a lot of students going to UK to complete a 3 years BEng and come back to Malaysia. I don't think BEM doesn't allow them to become a member, (becoming Ir. is another story).

If I were in your shoe, I would just go and grab a Master degree, be it local or overseas. But, it's best to make sure that the course is approved by ECUK, which by all mean will have no problem on BEM then. BEM, as a half-member (or whatsoever) in the Washington Accord, accredits (NOT recognises) courses accredited by ECUK.
+Quote Post
Gen-X
post Jun 21 2009, 11:09 PM

Lifetime LYN Member

QUOTE(firebomber @ Jun 21 2009, 02:52 PM)
I am one of the "victim" graduating from university of sheffield (1+2 course) in UK with 3 yrs course and ended up cannot register with BEM as graduate member. (ECUK changed their spec to only accredit 4 yrs courseĀ  and BEM is referring back to ECUK for accredited degree done in UK universities). So, i have made up my mind to sit for the IEM/BEM exam rather than taking up part time Master course in Local U and i will have to sit for full part 2 and part 3 exam.
Bro, i can feel your dissapointment that you can't register as a graduate with BEM and worst off have to take Part 2 & 3 exams when your degree is recognized.

QUOTE(redwine2 @ Jun 21 2009, 02:57 PM)
sorry i do not have information about it. I am too engineer but i never register, my family member too mechanical engineer but i never hear them saying about registering with BEM/IEM only certain job require it i think.
It is the law lah if your Degree is recognized in Malaysia. All engineers are to be registered with BEM and they will give you letter stating that you may work in the private sector. More surpising to me is that your family members are Mechanical Engineers and also did not register with BEM (unless their Degrees are not recognized than cannot register).

QUOTE(firebomber @ Jun 21 2009, 10:21 PM)
It is not important if you are working in a contractor / manufacturing field, but if you are working in a design/consultancy companies, then some of them may require you to register because according to law, it is illegal to perform engineering work if you do not register as engineer with BEM (whether IR or not). I am working in oil & gas design company and they actually require all the engineer to register with BEM, but for my case, my manager said normally people dont really bother, so i think its just for the law things. Of course my company need IR to approve the design drawing but they are normally signed by one of my company's senior VP (IR of course). However, most of my senior engineers are IR. Hmm..to me to get IR or not is not that important but to register with BEM is quite important, because normally to tender design project in oil & gas you will need at least 10 yrs experience instead of IR (which will only serve as supplementary support for the tender). But cannot register with BEM really troubles me....damn ECUK, why the hell they changed their spec. For those who is doing or did M.Eng....no worries, the degree is recognized in UK as well as in M'sia.

Anyway, can anyone please give more information on the matters above pls...really need help.

Thanks
Sorry can't help you on the exam papers. It is good that you are wanting to take the exams so that you can register as a Graduate Engineer with BEM eventhough you may not want the Ir title and the responsibilities that comes with it and the hassle to go for seminars to get points to keep your Ir status. The earlier you are done with the exams the better and so that you may get the Ir. status in the future.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Jun 21 2009, 11:10 PM
+Quote Post
firebomber
post Jun 22 2009, 10:32 PM

QUOTE(tanjinjack @ Jun 21 2009, 10:48 PM)
ECUK actually makes a difference between 'recognise' and 'accredit'. ECUK recognises their 3 years BEng, and only accredits their 4 years MEng (or BEng+approved MSc). The accreditation is the part related to the Washington Accord which says only engineers with at least 4 years of studies can become Ir. (CEng) etc.
I cannot confirm you but I think there is no problem for you to register as a member (or associate member) with BEM. It's just that you cannot qualify to become an Ir. in the end only. There are few universities/colleges offering a 3 years degree here. There are also a lot of students going to UK to complete a 3 years BEng and come back to Malaysia. I don't think BEM doesn't allow them to become a member, (becoming Ir. is another story).

If I were in your shoe, I would just go and grab a Master degree, be it local or overseas. But, it's best to make sure that the course is approved by ECUK, which by all mean will have no problem on BEM then. BEM, as a half-member (or whatsoever) in the Washington Accord, accredits (NOT recognises) courses accredited by ECUK.
Ya i totally understand that IMechE recognize 3 yrs B.Eng and can register as I.Eng but not C.Eng, but seems like BEM only has one option which is graduate member while IEM has Incorporated Member (same as I.Eng for IMechE, which i can apply for in IEM also) and Graduate Member, but i am having problem registering as graduate member with both.

Doing master locally will only accredited by BEM but not ECUK. But doing Master accredited by ECUK also accredited by BEM (which is much much much more expensive...*sob*sob*) i am still in dillema whether to take up master locally or taking the exam. Well, there are two options of exam too, 1 is IEM/BEM graduate exam which recognized by BEM only and there is one ECUK exam which organized by City & guilds and is recognized by both UK & BEM of course...so many options available...and i am not sure which one to choose, but taking the exam is just like studying the degree again which some say its a waste of time...hmm....please shed some light for me fella mech. engineers...
+Quote Post
devilkevin
post Sep 9 2009, 01:56 PM

Group: New Member

can i know Part 1 of the Examination is meant for who? i'm holding a bachelor of science so where should i start? am i qualified to take the examination?
+Quote Post
harvin6
post Oct 24 2009, 09:41 PM

Getting Started

thats why dont go study outside if ur gonna come here back and practice.............waste of money and time.
+Quote Post
Hanford
post Jul 16 2010, 03:44 PM

Getting Started

how about BEM issue a official letter mention ur study not recognized (KDU,3+0), require go IEM and sit in exam (part 1,2 &3) ?!!

doh.gif

anyway to get Ir / supervising position ?

cry.gif

This post has been edited by Hanford: Jul 16 2010, 03:44 PM
+Quote Post
leng48
post Jul 16 2010, 04:19 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Hanford @ Jul 16 2010, 03:44 PM)
how about BEM issue a official letter mention ur study not recognized (KDU,3+0), require go IEM and sit in exam (part 1,2 &3) ?!!

doh.gif
anyway to get Ir / supervising position  ?

cry.gif
As i said, do BEM even approved your registration? If yes, you will get some cert and member id no.

But the problem here for E&E grad, since they are not pure electrical usually BEM will put you under Electronics which is useless for IR imo. But the thing is you can go Uniten since they offer you program that can convert your membership from electronics to electrical. But you need to get approval to attend the program from both parties.

If BEM rejected, then no other choices, Master or IEM exam.

All this trouble would be avoided if BEM properly clarify their regulation. But then again, being naive, out of school, how would we know that time of what we going to do for our lifetime career.

+Quote Post
Hanford
post Jul 16 2010, 04:38 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(leng48 @ Jul 16 2010, 04:19 PM)
As i said, do BEM even approved your registration? If yes, you will get some cert and member id no.

But the problem here for E&E grad, since they are not pure electrical usually BEM will put you under Electronics which is useless for IR imo. But the thing is you can go Uniten since they offer you program that can convert your membership from electronics to electrical. But you need to get approval to attend the program from both parties.

If BEM rejected, then no other choices, Master or IEM exam.

All this trouble would be avoided if BEM properly clarify their regulation. But then again, being naive, out of school,  how would we know that time of what we going to do for our lifetime career.
BEM reject my registration, so require go to IEM and Exam doh.gif

regarding Uniten, any further info for review, Uniten web site didnt mention on that. BEM web site.............I dun think so.

y u knoe tis kind of problem ? u also face tis problem ? shocking.gif

+Quote Post
sd22
post Apr 12 2014, 04:33 PM

dont know if this thread is still active. But i just graduated recently and i am facing the same problem, cant register as a graduate engineer. did a 3 year UK degree in E & E. I dont really care if they register me with Electrical or Electronic, all my boss wants is to be registered with BEM.

Plus now cannot take exam anymore. Need to do masters. Anyone found a solution to this? Stressing.

+Quote Post
cnvery
post Apr 12 2014, 06:24 PM

On my way

QUOTE(sd22 @ Apr 12 2014, 04:33 PM)
dont know if this thread is still active. But i just graduated recently and i am facing the same problem, cant register as a graduate engineer. did a 3 year UK degree in E & E. I dont really care if they register me with Electrical or Electronic, all my boss wants is to be registered with BEM.

Plus now cannot take exam anymore. Need to do masters. Anyone found a solution to this? Stressing.
BEM is strictly only recognized 4 years degree nowadays. (Except those old days 3 year engineering degree)

+Quote Post
sd22
post Apr 12 2014, 06:55 PM

QUOTE(cnvery @ Apr 12 2014, 06:24 PM)
BEM is strictly only recognized 4 years degree nowadays. (Except those old days 3 year engineering degree)
i was hoping there was a jalan or something. sad.gif dont know what to do now.

+Quote Post
tmchong
post Apr 12 2014, 08:58 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sd22 @ Apr 12 2014, 06:55 PM)
i was hoping there was a jalan or something. sad.gif dont know what to do now.
I know of people facing the same problem like you.
Not all jobs require registration with BEM, only those which require dealings with the authorities and cerfitications. More important for C & S engineers than others and consulting line. You don't need it for manufacturing, contracting.
Doing additional year thru local masters is the easiest and cheapest route.
+Quote Post
Mei Yi Lin
post Apr 13 2014, 01:35 AM

Casual

Guys, if my friend gonna graduate with double engineering (chemical and mech), what is she gonna apply as in BEM/IEM?
+Quote Post
clon12
post Apr 13 2014, 09:46 AM

let's learn together!

QUOTE(Mei Yi Lin @ Apr 13 2014, 01:35 AM)
Guys, if my friend gonna graduate with double engineering (chemical and mech), what is she gonna apply as in BEM/IEM?
Try check whether her uni is accredited or not.. Theres a list in the BEM website.
+Quote Post
tmchong
post Apr 13 2014, 01:55 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Mei Yi Lin @ Apr 13 2014, 01:35 AM)
The problem with double major is that the BEM only allows you to register for one discipline and not the other if yrour friend has gone through a 4-year course. They have minimum course duration requirement for accreditation for each discipline i.e. 4 years. You have to write to BEM about this as only they can give you a definitive answer.

This post has been edited by tmchong: Apr 13 2014, 02:13 PM
+Quote Post
Mei Yi Lin
post Apr 13 2014, 02:29 PM

Casual

QUOTE(clon12 @ Apr 13 2014, 09:46 AM)
Try check whether her uni is accredited or not.. Theres a list in the BEM website.
Both are ABET-accredit so I think so..
+Quote Post
Mei Yi Lin
post Apr 13 2014, 02:31 PM

Casual

QUOTE(tmchong @ Apr 13 2014, 01:55 PM)
The problem with double major is that the BEM only allows you to register for one discipline and not the other if yrour friend has gone through a 4-year course. They have minimum course duration requirement for accreditation for each discipline i.e. 4 years.  You have to write to BEM about this as only they can give you a definitive answer.
hmmm.
Thanks! laugh.gif
She's gonna be disappointed lol.
+Quote Post
tmchong
post Apr 13 2014, 04:25 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Mei Yi Lin @ Apr 13 2014, 02:31 PM)
hmmm.
Thanks!  laugh.gif
She's gonna be disappointed lol.
Double major sounds impressive but there is no advantage in majoring in two engineering disciplines.
You can't be working in both fields. You'll end up choosing one and dropping the other.
You are also creating problem for yourself when it comes to registration with BEM, under which discipline will they register you?!

+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0797sec    2.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 08:27 PM