Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Edifier M3300 problem, sound "boom" each time i turn it on

views

TSlinkinawe
post Jun 2 2009, 09:12 PM, updated 11y ago

On my way
679 posts

i got this Edifier M3300 2.1 system lately for 3 weeks now... and whenever i turn it on , the woofer making a sound "boom" even the bass level is zero....it is freaking me out actually... the "boom" sound loud, sound like explode , i am getting woofer phobia , i have to cover my ears to turn the M3300 on ... and i have to adjust the bass level to zero each time i turn it off , otherwise ,if i leave the bass level at mid level , the next time when i turn it on , it will make a louder "boom"...Sometimes ,once in a week, when i playing loud music , the woofer start to make unstable zapping noise for 4 5secs , i got nervous and turned it off sweat.gif . IT REALLY FREAK ME OUT !

so i wonder ,
1)does this happen to any 2.1 speaker system user ?
2) if i get an AVR , something like power logic Koss 800va , to regulate the power supply ,does it help ? to minimize the "boom" sound and to prevent M3300 wont make unstable zapping noise when i playing music..

hope someone can help me , thank in million ! notworthy.gif
power911
post Jun 2 2009, 09:54 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,068 posts

QUOTE(linkinawe @ Jun 2 2009, 09:12 PM)
i got this Edifier M3300 2.1 system lately for 3 weeks now... and whenever i turn it on , the woofer making a sound "boom" even the bass level is zero....it is freaking me out actually... the "boom" sound loud, sound like explode , i am getting woofer phobia , i have to cover my ears to turn the M3300 on ... and i have to adjust the bass level to zero each time i turn it off , otherwise ,if i leave the bass level at mid level , the next time when i turn it on , it will make a louder "boom"...Sometimes ,once in a week, when i playing loud music , the woofer start to make unstable zapping noise for 4 5secs , i got nervous and turned it off  sweat.gif . IT REALLY FREAK ME OUT !
so i wonder ,
1)does this happen to any 2.1 speaker system user ? 
2) if i get an AVR , something like power logic Koss 800va , to regulate the power supply ,does it help ? to minimize the "boom" sound and to prevent M3300 wont make unstable zapping noise when i playing music..
hope someone can help me , thank in million !  notworthy.gif
it's common stuff for a multimedia speakers like that.Happens to all type of speakers.
zap sound I dunno
but the boom thing I know

but the boom thing,really really loud or just mid loudness?

This post has been edited by power911: Jun 2 2009, 09:55 PM
hoho1222
post Jun 2 2009, 10:34 PM

Casual
306 posts

The boom is quite common la.. When i testing the speaker at pc fair oso realise tat..

The zap sound i donno la.. but i wonder ur volume level.. usually i switch to 25%
LittleGhost
post Jun 2 2009, 10:54 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

capacitor discharge and charge.

When you have bass boost, a capacitor that forms an active filter to give a boost on the lower end exists. So when it is not discharged properly, you turn it off you get thumps.

Same thing if you turn up the bass boost before you turn it on. The in surge current will cause thumping.

Be a man and don't go for ah beng bass.

nismo91
post Jun 2 2009, 11:05 PM

foobar2000
2,193 posts

it happens to almost all entry-level multimedia speakers.
unless u want to mod it (by installing caps on power supply unit iirc), then i suggest just bear with it.

some soundcard, (i.e. x-fi 5.1 usb) also produce loud thumping each time it's disconnected or computer is powered on. but, as i said, just bear with it, as long as it is not life-threatening.
TSlinkinawe
post Jun 2 2009, 11:19 PM

On my way
679 posts

thank for advice ... i think i will get myself use to it ... =)

QUOTE(LittleGhost @ Jun 2 2009, 10:54 PM)
capacitor discharge and charge.

When you have bass boost, a capacitor that forms an active filter to give a boost on the lower end exists. So when it is not discharged properly, you turn it off you get thumps.

Same thing if you turn up the bass boost before you turn it on. The in surge current will cause thumping.

Be a man and don't go for ah beng bass.
the woofer produce a "boom" sound even i turn the bass to zero level when i turn it on ... volume on controller zero level... and i only turn up to 45% bass when i play music , video or game ... erm i think this is not consider as ah beng bass sweat.gif
nismo91
post Jun 2 2009, 11:42 PM

foobar2000
2,193 posts

i used to own a M3300 also. as almost with every speakers i have, i always set my M3300 to 100% and bass 90-100% then control volume with keyboard (windows).

despite many bass thump each computer boot and shutdown etc, can bear it, even i feel something wrong if i off the M3300 without any sound. for me, dont think its loud.

just bear with it, or change to other speakers... laugh.gif
LittleGhost
post Jun 3 2009, 09:07 AM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

QUOTE(linkinawe @ Jun 2 2009, 11:19 PM)
thank for advice ... i think i will get myself use to it ... =)
the woofer produce a "boom" sound even i turn the bass to zero level when i turn it on ... volume on controller zero level... and i only turn up to 45% bass when i play music , video or game ... erm i think this is not consider as ah beng bass  sweat.gif
I was j/k lol.

It's normal when the PSU caps discharge and charge, the surge of current can induce a DC voltage based signal across your diaphragms causing thumpings.

it happens to almost all entry-level multimedia speakers.
unless u want to mod it (by installing caps on power supply unit iirc), then i suggest just bear with it.

some soundcard, (i.e. x-fi 5.1 usb) also produce loud thumping each time it's disconnected or computer is powered on. but, as i said, just bear with it, as long as it is not life-threatening.

ADDING CAPS? LIES!

Adding caps adds more capacitance and means the charging time will increase, which will subsequently lead to a louder thump.

A proper fix is adding a time relay start up for the PSU. But it's pretty pointless and not cost effective most of the time.

nismo91
post Jun 3 2009, 10:56 AM

foobar2000
2,193 posts

QUOTE(LittleGhost @ Jun 3 2009, 09:07 AM)
I was j/k lol.

It's normal when the PSU caps discharge and charge, the surge of current can induce a DC voltage based signal across your diaphragms causing thumpings.
ADDING CAPS? LIES!

Adding caps adds more capacitance and means the charging time will increase, which will subsequently lead to a louder thump.

A proper fix is adding a time relay start up for the PSU. But it's pretty pointless and not cost effective most of the time.
there is a mod to REMOVE the thumping sound. just that i forgot what is the name.
from what i read, (mod R451 and M1310), there is a caps installed in power supply to remove the thump.

for M1310, initially have the caps, but if changed to other value, forgot what it is, it'll be completely silen
andrew9292
post Jun 3 2009, 11:14 AM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
945 posts

There will be a thump/boom whenever u turn on/off your speaker and sometimes when u on your speaker before turning on your computer, when you on you computer it can cause the sound too.

BUT the way u describe it is WAY TOO LOUD. You can go to shops and test out their m3300's and see whether it is as loud as yours, if it is much softer, go back to the shop you purchase yours and get warranty.
LittleGhost
post Jun 3 2009, 01:10 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

QUOTE(nismo91 @ Jun 3 2009, 10:56 AM)
there is a mod to REMOVE the thumping sound. just that i forgot what is the name.
from what i read, (mod R451 and M1310), there is a caps installed in power supply to remove the thump.

for M1310, initially have the caps, but if changed to other value, forgot what it is, it'll be completely silen
It's either "a lower capacitance capacitor"(faster charging time) or it is not a filter cap for the power supply but something different for another circuit.

You ought to show us some links to back up the claims.

Thumping sounds can only be eliminated mostly by using a smaller capacitance filter caps, adding a time delay slow startup for the PSU OR use a relay on the output.
nismo91
post Jun 3 2009, 10:19 PM

foobar2000
2,193 posts

this is the caps i mean in Edifier M1310. tell me what is it for.
user posted image

also, in my Klipsch i-Fi, found this near the transformer, and, never hear any thumping in my klipsch. the board next to the transformer, what is it for?
user posted image

add, one paralleled a 100nF/1KV capacitor in the on-off switch of R451 to remove thumping sound each time it's turned off.

This post has been edited by nismo91: Jun 3 2009, 10:24 PM
LittleGhost
post Jun 3 2009, 10:52 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

QUOTE(nismo91 @ Jun 3 2009, 10:19 PM)
this is the caps i mean in Edifier M1310. tell me what is it for.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6221/img3021xvb7.jpg
where is it connected to? Need the whole picture to be sure. It could be the capacitor for the main supply choke before the big filter caps.

also, in my Klipsch i-Fi, found this near the transformer, and, never hear any thumping in my klipsch. the board next to the transformer, what is it for?
http://www.justwebspace.com/G2/albums/ifid...al_DSC01042.JPG

add, one paralleled a 100nF/1KV capacitor in the on-off switch of R451 to remove thumping sound each time it's turned off.
Care to circle the capacitor you're referring to? The pics are a tad small it's hard to know what belongs to what.

nismo91
post Jun 3 2009, 10:59 PM

foobar2000
2,193 posts

first of all, i dont have the complete picture of the M1310.
not only it's not mine, i dont have it as well.
for the Edifier R451, modder doesnt snap the caps he paralled.
but he does show the caps from amp he mods.

for the klipsch ifi, im wondering, what is the small board doing, with fuse and some components. larger pic
LittleGhost
post Jun 4 2009, 12:09 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

QUOTE(nismo91 @ Jun 3 2009, 10:59 PM)
first of all, i dont have the complete picture of the M1310.
not only it's not mine, i dont have it as well.
for the Edifier R451, modder doesnt snap the caps he paralled.
but he does show the caps from amp he mods.

for the klipsch ifi, im wondering, what is the small board doing, with fuse and some components. larger pic
1) the small board with the fuse and the components are the main choke for AC filtering before it hits the transformers.

2) As I've said earlier, Thumps are caused by large main filter caps charging and the unstable voltage when it is not fully charged causes the amplifier output to put huge DC across the drivers.

3) Thumps are eliminated by either using:

-muting circuit (also known as output relay protection). This mutes the output for a certain time before the caps are fully charged and stabilized.

-slow start up PSU. A special slow start up PSU that charges the caps in smaller steps can also eliminate the sudden surge of current.

4) A muting circuit usually uses capacitors to create a time constant delay. So the bigger it is, the slower the output turns on after powering up. In this case, increasing the capacitance (adding caps) on THIS particular circuit helps reduce thump.

EDIT:duble post.

This post has been edited by LittleGhost: Jun 4 2009, 12:09 PM
yanhui95
post Jun 4 2009, 08:01 PM

Already started
1,438 posts

my speaker also will boom when on and off
coolkwc
post Jun 4 2009, 08:31 PM

Fall in love with audio again.
2,909 posts

Advice some of you, don't simply add the cap or increase the capacitance in the PSU circuit, the more capacitance you have, the more current surge occur during startup, loud thumping is small matter, the large current surge will overload the component at PSU circuit especially Diod bridge and fry it eventually.
andrew9292
post Jun 4 2009, 08:33 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
945 posts

QUOTE(LittleGhost @ Jun 4 2009, 12:09 PM)

2) As I've said earlier, Thumps are caused by large main filter caps charging and the unstable voltage when it is not fully charged causes the amplifier output to put huge DC across the drivers.

-muting circuit (also known as output relay protection). This mutes the output for a certain time before the caps are fully charged and stabilized.

4) A muting circuit usually uses capacitors to create a time constant delay. So the bigger it is, the slower the output turns on after powering up. In this case, increasing the capacitance (adding caps) on THIS particular circuit helps reduce thump.
But adding caps, would degrade audio quality...no? How bout replacing the cap with a higher quality such as Black Gates with higher capacitance?
nismo91
post Jun 4 2009, 09:12 PM

foobar2000
2,193 posts

for me, i dont really care about the thumping sound.
the only one i've read is the guy paralleled a 100nF/1KV caps in the on-off switch. i think his edifier R451 also still alive now.

about the rest, muting circuit, adding relay and installing larger resistant caps, just do it and show, i wont spend my time doing things unproven.
LittleGhost
post Jun 4 2009, 09:42 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

QUOTE(andrew9292 @ Jun 4 2009, 08:33 PM)
But adding caps, would degrade audio quality...no? How bout replacing the cap with a higher quality such as Black Gates with higher capacitance?
EDIT:The thumps are caused by HIGH CAPACITANCE of the filter caps. Capacitors before fully charging up looks like a short circuit to the rectifiers. So the higher it is, the bigger the thump!

I don't think blackgates have the sufficient voltage ratings for main filter caps. I won't dispute further it's quality since it's another matter to begin with.

QUOTE(nismo91 @ Jun 4 2009, 09:12 PM)
for me, i dont really care about the thumping sound.
the only one i've read is the guy paralleled a 100nF/1KV caps in the on-off switch. i think his edifier R451 also still alive now.

But you cant even specify what the 100nF is connected to the rest of the circuit? This is not even remotely contributing.

about the rest, muting circuit, adding relay and installing larger resistant caps, just do it and show, i wont spend my time doing things unproven.
Oh wow talk about ignorance. Have some tea and cool it down will ya buddy?

This post has been edited by LittleGhost: Jun 4 2009, 09:45 PM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0834sec    2.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 08:39 PM