Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> New Zealand, Attractions, hotels & General (Travel)

andymillenium
post May 21 2017, 06:50 AM
Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(fapman @ May 20 2017, 01:05 AM)
Thanks for the news & links bro! Really appreciate it. However, is the proposed law only affecting hotel & tourism industry or everything else?
Affecting all, but hotel & tourism got hit harder. Skilled migrant requirements had also been tightened quite a bit. sweat.gif

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
timetokill
post May 22 2017, 12:25 AM
Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(munkeyflo @ May 10 2017, 04:36 PM)
Yea man. Sometimes just queueing also 1 hour edi lol.

No baggage also have to hope that there's no queue at he customs. Quite a few times I've seen travelers asking if they can cut the queue or some having to make calls to reschedule their flights.
I think many people make this mistake that they didn't allow for time to clear customs before checking in to connecting flights. The key is always check where you need to do this before hand and allow more time.
Honestly, it is so much better nowadays. Sometimes I got through with just 15 minutes. Sometimes you are just unlucky that a huge plane just landed before you. Not so long ago, they used to check everyone who arrives. Now not so much. Australia was much worst too just few years ago, until people made noise and they changed to just get the dogs to sniff at your luggage now.

QUOTE(hapyhapy82 @ May 14 2017, 10:02 PM)
Anyone rent car? Do u all take the excess? It is calculate per day n quite pricy. Any advise?
Please use the search function. I have talked about this before. All rental cars are covered with comprehensive insurance. Understand what is insurance and what excess means, then you will know whether you need it. I have never taken them, but I am a risk taker. So it depends on your risk appetite.

QUOTE(fapman @ May 19 2017, 03:27 AM)
Hi bro, since you have experience in staying & working in NZ, do u mind to share with me how tough is it to find a job in NZ? Feeling like wanna migrate there.
NZ is like a migrant heaven, provided that you have the right skills. It is much easier if you are a professional, ie. engineer, accountant, doctor, IT architect, etc. Auckland has the most opportunities but also the most competitive and maybe the most expensive to live in. Wellington and Christchurch have plenty of opportunities too, because less people want to live there, so more chances for you.
It is not all green patches there. One big issue there is housing. House prices have gone up so much in the recent years that most working class can only afford to rent. Don't think that you earn more so you can afford. Look at the rental rates. You won't have much savings left after you pay for rental. On top of that you still need to save for minimum 20% downpayment. People can only afford a house when they retire.
+Quote Post
kienhuia
post May 22 2017, 08:45 AM
Group: New Member

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/ar...jectid=11860878

Happy Monday smile.gif

check in delay
plane cannot depart, arrival plane reschedule for gate (delay)?

Next might be arrival delay ?? smile.gif

+Quote Post
munkeyflo
post May 22 2017, 08:55 AM
Blooop bloop bloop
Group Icon
Group: Moderator

QUOTE(andymillenium @ May 21 2017, 06:50 AM)
Affecting all, but hotel & tourism got hit harder. Skilled migrant requirements had also been tightened quite a bit.  sweat.gif
So did business and and investment migration. I was told business migration is $3mil now. Used to be $1mil years back.
But there are many types of visas, those interested should check all options. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(timetokill @ May 22 2017, 12:25 AM)
I think many people make this mistake that they didn't allow for time to clear customs before checking in to connecting flights. The key is always check where you need to do this before hand and allow more time.
Honestly, it is so much better nowadays. Sometimes I got through with just 15 minutes. Sometimes you are just unlucky that a huge plane just landed before you. Not so long ago, they used to check everyone who arrives. Now not so much. Australia was much worst too just few years ago, until people made noise and they changed to just get the dogs to sniff at your luggage now.
Please use the search function. I have talked about this before. All rental cars are covered with comprehensive insurance. Understand what is insurance and what excess means, then you will know whether you need it. I have never taken them, but I am a risk taker. So it depends on your risk appetite.
NZ is like a migrant heaven, provided that you have the right skills. It is much easier if you are a professional, ie. engineer, accountant, doctor, IT architect, etc. Auckland has the most opportunities but also the most competitive and maybe the most expensive to live in. Wellington and Christchurch have plenty of opportunities too, because less people want to live there, so more chances for you.
It is not all green patches there. One big issue there is housing. House prices have gone up so much in the recent years that most working class can only afford to rent. Don't think that you earn more so you can afford. Look at the rental rates. You won't have much savings left after you pay for rental. On top of that you still need to save for minimum 20% downpayment. People can only afford a house when they retire.
Australia I find much lenient these days.
15 minutes thru the customs - very lucky haha. The queue at the customs always frustrating. Somemore free wifi only lasts 30 minutes. And yes these days also much better. They used to open everyone's bag especially when there's food but nowadays mostly just ask to scan thru. My last flight to Auckland I had 3 big boxes and 1 big bag with me, had food too and expected them to open up my boxes but was lucky the custom just told me to scan.

Right. Rental in Auckland CBD for 2 rooms unit can be $600-700 per week. Food is expensive too. And the population in Auckland increasing every day.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kienhuia
post May 22 2017, 09:42 AM

I believe you can still rent one bedroom apartment in CBD for 300. shoebox size but good starting point
+Quote Post
andymillenium
post May 22 2017, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(timetokill @ May 22 2017, 12:25 AM)
Really depends on where you are, auckland prices are killing. Other places are quite okay. Of cause it also depends on your expenditure. I find myself saving more and faster than when I'm in KL.
+Quote Post
deftnomad
post May 23 2017, 12:21 AM

QUOTE(fapman @ May 19 2017, 03:27 AM)
Hi bro, since you have experience in staying & working in NZ, do u mind to share with me how tough is it to find a job in NZ? Feeling like wanna migrate there.
There is diferrent type visa you can apply. Those under skilled migration visa can lead to to permanent residency after two years. But those visa requires you to have job offer from the NZ employer. Also known as Resident Visa or what we called PR. There is skilled worker shortage in NZ mostly in construction sector, healthcare and IT. If you have professional skill in any of these profession you can send interest thru NZ immigration site.

I have talked to some of the malaysian who has been living there for many years, more than 10 years now working n living there. One i met in Blenheim and another in Wellington, it's lot harder to obtain PR residency unless you have sponsor from employer for skilled resident visa. Unlike them who went 10years back was lucky because immigration wasn't so stringent at that time. Those who went there for unskilled job.

Living cost is quite expensive in Auckland and Wellington. But in most other city like Christchurch or other smaller town is less expensive. In NZ they call 'flatting'. Expect to fork out at least NZ$250 per week with utilities in Auckland. In Christchurch and smaller town rent can be as low as NZ$90 per week with utilities.

I am writing a NZ travel article that can be really beneficial for anyone planning their trip. I have traveled almost every corner of NZ. Check out at my site deftnomad.com

+Quote Post
Cloud2322
post May 23 2017, 05:46 PM
Casual
Group: Junior Member

Hi guys,

Is it necessary to buy luggage when I'm going to New Zealand?
+Quote Post
fapman
post May 23 2017, 07:34 PM

QUOTE(Cloud2322 @ May 23 2017, 05:46 PM)
Hi guys,

No. It depends on how many things u bring from here. For us, we only bring important stuffs. We do proper planning to avoid additional cost. Well, at least it works for my family & me.
+Quote Post
munkeyflo
post Yesterday, 05:07 AM
Blooop bloop bloop
Group Icon

QUOTE(kienhuia @ May 22 2017, 09:42 AM)
I believe you can still rent one bedroom apartment in CBD for 300. shoebox size but good starting point
Yea prolly a really really small one. But I think can save more if share a bigger unit with few others. Then again have to share lor.

QUOTE(Cloud2322 @ May 23 2017, 05:46 PM)
Hi guys,

It depends on how you travel. Everyone travels differently. its not a must to buy luggage.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kienhuia
post Yesterday, 07:20 AM

QUOTE(munkeyflo @ May 24 2017, 05:07 AM)
Yea prolly a really really small one. But I think can save more if share a bigger unit with few others. Then again have to share lor.
It depends on how you travel. Everyone travels differently. its not a must to buy luggage.
Munkey rent out your spare room for LYN buddies smile.gif
+Quote Post
munkeyflo
post Today, 08:24 AM
Blooop bloop bloop
Group Icon

QUOTE(kienhuia @ May 24 2017, 07:20 AM)
Munkey rent out your spare room for LYN buddies smile.gif
Hahah. Dowan. I like to have the whole place to myself tongue.gif