views

TSMavik
post Apr 29 2009, 11:41 PM, updated 15y ago

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

Hi everyone,

Would like to announce an upcoming event on the 6th and 7th of June 2009 called Shootfest which is an unconference.

What in the world is an unconference?
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Basically its a conference that is participant driven.

A little bit info about Shootfest 2009

ShootFest 001 Unconference Overview

What on earth is an unconference? And what’s this ShootFest about?

These are most likely the first 2 questions on your mind. An unconference is an informal gathering of likeminded people with a common interest. It’s a participant-driven conference, meaning everyone must participate in some way or another. We encourage everyone to present a topic or engage in a discussion during the 2-day sessions.

Each ShootFest is a media unconference primarily for photographers and videographers. This first one that is organised is themed The Wedding and is meant for professionals, freelancers and anyone interested in wedding photography and videography.

The benefits of ShootFests are knowledge-sharing, networking and raising the bar for the industry. If you feel you don’t want to share any of your kung-fu, then the unconference is probably not for you. We want to breed improvement for everyone, and need you to share your thoughts too.

When, Where, What???

Date: 6th & 7th June 2009 (Saturday & Sunday). We start at 10am. Register at 9am on Saturday.

Venue: Integricity office, Centrepoint Bandar Utama

Dress code: Casual. Do bring a jacket or scarf if you’re prone to get cold in air-conditioned spaces

Fees: RM50. And you’ll get a limited edition, never-printed-before T-shirt!

What should I bring?

* A water bottle. We are going green, and will not be providing paper or plastic cups.
    * Name tag from a previous conference or talk. If you REALLY don’t have one, we’ll provide you with one.
    * Notebook, if you have one.
    * If speaking, bring the necessary VGA connector to hook up your notebook to the projector.
    * Equipment (camera, camcorder - do take care of your own equipment, we will not be held liable for anything whatsoever)
    * Namecards, bringing more is better than less.

FAQs

* Yes, wifi will be provided free.
    * We are opening the conference to 80 participants.
    * Lunches and dinners will be at your own expense. Light refreshments will be provided.
    * We want to save the environment, and as such notes from sessions will not be printed. Slides will be uploaded online.
    * If you’re coming from overseas and need accommodation, let us know, we’ll try to place you with someone (yes, someone nice).

Tagging

To reference anything about the ShootFest, we suggest we standardize and use ShootFest to tag content on Flickr, Slideshare, Facebook. For Twitter, do use the hashtag #ShootFest.

For more information, check out this site.
http://shootfest.org/

If any of this doesn't provide enough information or if you still don't get what it means, do drop me a PM and I will be more than happy to help explain smile.gif

Remember this is open to anyone who is either interested in wedding photography/videography, already an active freelancer or professionals, its open to all who are interested and who want to learn, network and just have fun! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mavik: Apr 30 2009, 01:22 PM
TSMavik
post Apr 30 2009, 10:14 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Apr 30 2009, 08:50 AM)
k good. if can come only 1 day also nmind, right?

and the WHAT TO BRING part looks so like taken from Barcamp. tongue.gif
LOL I knew you were going to say something like that hahaha. The idea was inspired from BarCamp itself tongue.gif

QUOTE(dpenalty @ Apr 30 2009, 09:30 AM)
I yet to learn Wedding photography. Can I join?

So I have to bring my laptop, my camera gears? Do I need to bring along tripod or monopod?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Thanks and regards.
You can bring those gears as well but remember this is more geared towards talks and presentations (maybe some speakers might provide practical sessions). Do try and present an idea as well smile.gif

QUOTE(ELM0 @ Apr 30 2009, 09:55 AM)
walao still need project to the big screen to show show ar
very pai seh leh if angel or IQ no good T_T

you’ll get a limited edition, never-printed-before T-shirt!
haha this 1 abit interesting limited edition plain t-shirt tongue.gif
No la, just come and have fun only smile.gif
Its a non-profit event, the fee is just to cover the cost of rental of the office space and equipment as well as cover the cost of t-shirt printing.
TSMavik
post Apr 30 2009, 08:55 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

Attached Image

Synopsis

Artist in a Haystack
Are you a professional videographer or photographer with lots of talent, yet not getting sufficient business? Could it be because you are not easily found by potential clients? Stick with Alex as he shares with you tips and tricks on how to use social media tools to engage with prospects and ultimately increase your sales!

Cultural concepts behind weddings
When you shoot a cultural wedding, do you know the symbolism behind each element? Come and learn how a Chinese wedding differs from a malay, or a sikh one. Never be ignorant about these customs again.

Pecha Kucha
This is a rapid quickfire line up of presenters, each with a maximum of 20 presentation slides, and only allowed to speak for 20 seconds per slide. Topics are fairly free, and you could describe your last shoot, a destination you’ve been to, camera gear you’d like to buy, etc. Sign up for this fun session!

Y.O.U. - The Importance of Branding
How to define, establish, and market yourself as a photographer.
Other Topics

Possible topics that could be discussed, please feel free to volunteer yourself to speak on one of these, or suggest your own topic:

* Powerpoint Karaoke
* OnePhoto
* Videos
* Discussion Time
* Albums
* Website design
* Blogging
* Customizing your wordpress theme
* What’s in your camera bag?
* Logistics of planning an overseas wedding
* Wedding photography etiquette - do’s and don’ts
* Photoshop techniques
* Posing vs photojournalism
* Destination weddings
* Social media
* Contracts & agreements, ownership of photos, IP rights
* How do you train yourself to improve?
* Managing client’s expectations

TSMavik
post May 5 2009, 02:03 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

Latest updates so far
- 33 registered participants

We have registered speakers from familiar names in the wedding industry such as:

Jon Low from IdealWedding
Fiona Lim from FiFoto
Jenny Sun from Jenny Sun Photography
Grace Tan from WeddingStory

Don't miss out and sign up here.
http://shootfest.org/shootfest-001-registration/
TSMavik
post May 7 2009, 08:35 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ May 6 2009, 04:43 PM)
Looks like good stuff, limited to how many participants?
Hey bro,

Its limited to 80 participants in total. Two streams will be running side by side with various sessions for two days.

At this moment, we have already 47 registered participants so far so don't wait, hurry up and sign up smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.18    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:56 AM