Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Life Sciences The PHARMACY Thread, everything you need to know/ask

views

TSbaoz
post Mar 14 2009, 02:16 PM, updated 12y ago

Enthusiast
955 posts

user posted image

Welcome to LYN’s Pharmacy thread. This is the place for discussion, questions and recommendations. All are welcome regardless if you’re a pharmacy student, a pharmacist or neither.

Please do not expect us to know the answer to every of your question nor start a flamewar here. Comparisons between medicine, pharmacy and sciences are more than welcomed but please keep them under control.

What is Pharmacy?

Pharmacy is the health profession that links the health sciences with the chemical sciences , and it is charged with ensuring the safe and effective use of pharmaceutical drugs.

Source: Wikipedia

What does a Pharmacist do?

A pharmacist compounds and dispenses drugs to patients to ensure optimal health outcomes. A pharmacist is also responsible in counseling patients on the safe and effective use of drugs.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a Pharmacist and a Doctor?

A doctor will diagnose(a disease) and prescribe medicine for patients. A pharmacist dispenses medicine to patients.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

What is the difference between MPharm and BPharm?

What are the career options for a Pharmacist?

What is the starting pay for a fresh graduate in Malaysia?

Approximately RM 3, 000 - RM 4, 000.

How do you register as a Pharmacist in Malaysia?

Link from the Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society – UK Student Chapter Blog

List of Places of Training for Provisionally Registered Pharmacist

How does an institution of education (university) gain recognition by the Pharmacy Board of Malaysia?

How do you register as a Pharmacist in UK?

Useful Links

1. List of Qualifications by Malaysian Ministry of Health
2. Accreditation in Australia
3. MPharm Accreditation in UK (RPSGB)

MALANSIAN PHARMACEUTICAL SOCIETY (MPS)

MPS is the national pharmacy & pharmaceutical society in Malaysia. Check out their website to know more about the latest news relating to the pharmacy profession in Malaysia.

[for those of you overseas, it is the equivalent of PSA (Australia) and RPSGB (UK)]

Previous Topics:

1. Studying Pharmacy - share your experience
2. Pharmacy course - private colleges in Malaysia
3. BPharm in Malaysia
4. Will Pharmacists Gain Dispensing Rights in Malaysia?

UNIVERSITY SECTION

Recommended subjects to take at pre-u level

1. Biology is not necessary at pre-u level as a criteria to enter universities in Malaysia, but it provides a solid foundation when you enter the course later. Chemistry, however, is a must.

Should you not choose to take Biology, you should have a combination of 2 science subjects (Chem & Physics) and 1 Maths subject.

However, some unis may have their own requirement and the above may not apply.

2. Tha mathematics involved in Pharmacy is very basic calculations. A little bit of statistics is involved and very minimal calculus.

Courses offered by PUBLIC (IPTA) universities in Malaysia:

Courses offered by PRIVATE (IPTS) universities in Malaysia

Courses offered in UK and Europe

Courses offered in Australia (Group of 8 unis)

Courses offered in Indonesia:

LYN memberlist

This post has been edited by baoz: Apr 10 2011, 05:26 PM
Ibrahimovic
post Mar 14 2009, 02:25 PM

*HolyHunk*
1,578 posts

Nice dude. Someone really need this helpful link. Turnout that pharmacy really quite cheap compared to medicine.

But how about the carreer? Does someone with pharmacy degree could easily found job at government or private sector? And how about the starting salary?
hurm00
post Mar 14 2009, 03:58 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(Ibrahimovic @ Mar 14 2009, 03:25 PM)
Nice dude. Someone really need this helpful link. Turnout that pharmacy really quite cheap compared to medicine.

But how about the carreer? Does someone with pharmacy degree could easily found job at government or private sector? And how about the starting salary?
there are only a few pharmacists in m'sia compare. it is a critical course..which means..they really hope number of pharmacists will increase.so u dont need to worry bout not having a job..coz there are a lot of sectors that are waiting for fresh grads student who hold a degree in pharmacy.
career as a pharmacist are very wide.
either u're working in
1. hospital - dispense and compound drugs , medicine, do some research, consult patients and doctor too..but doctor n pharmacist cant get well when they're doing things together,,ok that one put aside..income is ok..depends on ur experience..around 6-7k..govrment got elauns etc..if private is higher.
but working in hospital..u can gain a lot of knowledge..everyday with a new case..working hours are tight..plus OT.
2. retail - caring, guardian, watson, ..it is more to business..ppl go to pharmacy, buying the medicine directly from pharmacist. some drugs dont required u to get prescription from the doctor ( example: paracetamol)..but some u need a prescription ( list of medicine on a piece of paper which u got it from a dctor)..those who r working in retail , their income is much higher compares to working in hospital..and their working hours are like office hours..9am/ 10 am - 9pm..
3. Industrial - those who want to get fat income, do work in industrial sector..example : GSK company ( they made panadol) , pfitzer, unza..upha..or any pharmaceutical manufacturer company..they really need pharmacist.. pharmacist in msia insist to work in industrial..most pharmacist in msia prefer to work in hospital or retail.but the income can come up to 10k..depends on what department u go..u can go to R&D, QC ( quality control ) : u're responsible to supervise how they make the medicine/ supplement/ products from A - Z and must meet the standard..and u also can go to marketing department eventho u have no idea about marketing but some company like pfitzer , the requirement to work under marketing department is degree in pharmacy icon_rolleyes.gif ...and a lots more..
4. those who can do multi task, they can do part time lecturer and at the same time become a supervisor for pharma company, and at the same time, they do research, ...
pharmacy is a potential field..it would not stop coz it is relates with science, technology and from time to time..they aim to produce drugs which can give good therapeutic effect with minimal side effects..economical..
5. become a scientist..u create a new drug / modified a drug , increase its safety..if it was succeed. trust me whole wide world will need it.u can just sit and goyang kaki at home..coz u're already rich.
6. own a company, produce ur own medicine / health products which pattern under your company's brand name..

nowadays, ppl are going back to basic..most of us are starting to consume medicine / supplement for health which are originated from nature..so they need pharmacists to do that kind of works..

starting salary for a fresh grad is around 3- 4 k, if im not mistaken.

well...really hope , u guys ( especially ex spm / stpm candidated ) already get the big picture bout pharmacy..coz most of u always concentrate into medical course....everyone wanna be a doctor...it is a good thing ..but doing others things are also fun.. nod.gif

CyberSetan
post Mar 14 2009, 04:51 PM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

You didn't put the Pharmacy Board Recognized Degree List.....

and

Also you didn't include this Institute that is offering Pharmacy Degree from USM....

http://www.kict.edu.my/index.php?option=co...id=14&Itemid=27

Elven
post Mar 14 2009, 05:39 PM

Casual
399 posts

Fyi, I just passed SPM with an 'OK' result. I've got 7A's and 3B's which include 2A for Biology and 4B for Chemistry. Well for some reasons, my interest often onto Medic. I am actually interested in pharmacy even though not as much as in Medic. However, I'm not confident enough that I am able to pursue into this field since my Chemistry is just average. What do u guys say?

This post has been edited by Elven: Mar 14 2009, 05:41 PM
hurm00
post Mar 14 2009, 05:43 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(Elven @ Mar 14 2009, 06:39 PM)
Fyi, I just passed SPM with an 'OK' result. I've got 7A's and 3B's which include 2A for Biology and 4B for Chemistry. I am actually interested in pharmacy but I'm not confident enough that I am able to pursue into this field since my Chemistry is just average. What do u say?
if u have a high determination + passion...just go for it.
a good pharmacy student doesn't means u must got all A's academically.
just go for it.

jerk
post Mar 14 2009, 05:48 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

what i suggest to you is to get a pre-U qualification first. go for A level or STPM.

average in form 5 chemistry shouldnt stop you from becoming a pharmacist or a doctor. (and pharmacy course is not 99% about chemistry. dont worry)

just do well in your pre- U
Elven
post Mar 14 2009, 05:53 PM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(hurm00 @ Mar 14 2009, 06:43 PM)
if u have a high determination + passion...just go for it.
a good pharmacy student doesn't means u must got all A's academically.
just go for it.
After reading through this thread, I'm starting to like pharmacy. rclxms.gif

QUOTE(jerk @ Mar 14 2009, 06:48 PM)
what i suggest to you is to get a pre-U qualification first. go for A level or STPM.

average in form 5 chemistry shouldnt stop you from becoming a pharmacist or a doctor. (and pharmacy course is not 99% about chemistry. dont worry)

just do well in your pre- U
If its 99% is not about chemistry, then what it is about? Well, my acquaintances always said that being a pharmacist requires a formidable knowledge in Chemistry and that u must do well both in ur SPM and Pre-U course as they will be taken into consideration for ur qualification into this field. Well what can I say, I always did bad in my Chemistry during my schooltime. rclxub.gif
hurm00
post Mar 14 2009, 06:12 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(Elven @ Mar 14 2009, 06:53 PM)
After reading through this thread, I'm starting to like pharmacy.  rclxms.gif
If its 99% is not about chemistry, then what it is about? Well, my acquaintances always said that being a pharmacist requires a formidable knowledge in Chemistry and that u must do well both in ur SPM and Pre-U course as they will be taken into consideration for ur qualification into this field. Well what can I say, I always did bad in my Chemistry during my schooltime.  rclxub.gif
a friend of mine, she got b3 in her chemistry . now she's already in 3rd year pharmacy course.
and guess what?
she got cgpa more than 3 for each sem.
n yes..before pursuing to degree in pharmacy, u must have pre - u qualification.
foundation, matriculation, a - level .
but if u're 100% sure to take pharmacy, just do the foundation in pharmacy..

so..dont worry..just do it..follow your heart.
pharmacy is about chemistry + math ( not that difficult ) + bio ( human anatomy )..actually it covers all the materials..n u need a good soft skills too.
like communicating with ppl..coz when u're working, u must consult ppl..n etc.
so, it is not 100% bout chemistry.
there are other things which take account too.
nod.gif
jerk
post Mar 14 2009, 06:16 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

for IPTA, obviously USM is missing from the list. and i think UiTM is for Bumis only.

for IPTS, masterskill, CUCMS, HELP(soon), the one mention by CyberSetan is missing(Island College of Technology, Balik Pulau, Penang) and INTI diploma level.

if you have time, do locate accredition link by the pharmaceutical society in UK.

for australia, the link is http://www.pharmacycouncil.org.au/NAPSAC_a...acyschools.html

some extra info:
The Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) is the national professional organisation for pharmacists in Australia.

differences between a bpharm and a mpharm (quote from youngkies) :

"though both MPharm in UK and BPharm in other countries are 4 years course degree, but MPharm has more intensive syllabuses, esp. for final year they are taught at master level skills and a research at master level.

in UK pharmacy degree used to be 4 years course BPharm. but they have scraped all 4 years Bachelor degree. then all bachelor degrees are done in 3 years. But because pharmacy syllabuses cant be cramped into 3 years, so they put in more syllabuses, key skills learning at master level for final year, a research project at master level, retain it as 4 years degree and accredited it as Master degree.

so if you have done MPharm in UK, when you go back to malaysia or aus, your degree is equivalent of a Master degree in Pharmacy."

Extra info for malaysia:

The Board approved the scheduled gradation of recognition of pharmacy courses to the following levels.
a.Approval by LAN to start course
b.First Monitoring [1st year]
c.Second Monitoring [2nd year]
d.Provisional Recognition after the first batch of students have completed or are in 3/4 of their course
e.Full Recognition after the passing out of the first batch of graduates

Thus for those institutions that have not obtained full recognition, the Board will make yearly evaluation visit to these institutions until they obtain full recognition.

source :
http://www.pharmacy.gov.my/html/annual_report2004_main.htm

lastly, Provisional Recognition and Full Recognition is DIFFERENT and should be emphasized.

Added on March 14, 2009, 6:35 pmeven a degree in chemistry would not study 99% about chemistry.

it includes learning about healthcare system,physiology and anatomy, phychological aspect, some theories, some chemistry, some simple calculation ,drugs and therapy, pharmaceutics etc.

This post has been edited by jerk: Mar 14 2009, 06:35 PM
Elven
post Mar 14 2009, 06:35 PM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(hurm00 @ Mar 14 2009, 07:12 PM)
a friend of mine, she got b3 in her chemistry . now she's already in 3rd year pharmacy course.
and guess what?
she got cgpa more than 3 for each sem.
n yes..before pursuing to degree in pharmacy, u must have pre - u qualification.
foundation, matriculation, a - level .
but if u're 100% sure to take pharmacy, just do the foundation in pharmacy..

so..dont worry..just do it..follow your heart.
pharmacy is about chemistry + math ( not that difficult ) + bio ( human anatomy )..actually it covers all the materials..n u need a good soft skills too.
like communicating with ppl..coz when u're working, u must consult ppl..n etc.
so, it is not 100% bout chemistry.
there are other things which take account too.
nod.gif
Well there is already stated that the requirements to study 'Asasi Farmasi' in both UM and UIAM are at least 3B in Biology and Chemistry and some which I couldnt remember (need to refer to the application form again). Clearly, I do not meet the requirement of having at least 3B in Chemistry. So, I really dont have the opportunity to go for the course?

Actually, I am more interested with Asasi than Matriculation program. But if my chance for the 'Asasi Farmasi' has flown away, will the final possible chance for me to pursue Pharmacy is via Matriculation? Is there any other way?

QUOTE(jerk @ Mar 14 2009, 07:16 PM)
for IPTA, obviously USM is missing from the list. and i think UiTM is for Bumis only.

for IPTS, masterskill, CUCMS, HELP(soon), the one mention by CyberSetan is missing(Island College of Technology, Balik Pulau, Penang) and INTI diploma level.

if you have time, do locate accredition link by the pharmaceutical society in UK.

for australia, the link is http://www.pharmacycouncil.org.au/NAPSAC_a...acyschools.html

some extra info:
The Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) is the national professional organisation for pharmacists in Australia.

differences between a bpharm and a mpharm (quote from youngkies) :

"though both MPharm in UK and BPharm in other countries are 4 years course degree, but MPharm has more intensive syllabuses, esp. for final year they are taught at master level skills and a research at master level.

in UK pharmacy degree used to be 4 years course BPharm. but they have scraped all 4 years Bachelor degree. then all bachelor degrees are done in 3 years. But because pharmacy syllabuses cant be cramped into 3 years, so they put in more syllabuses, key skills learning at master level for final year, a research project at master level, retain it as 4 years degree and accredited it as Master degree.

so if you have done MPharm in UK, when you go back to malaysia or aus, your degree is equivalent of a Master degree in Pharmacy."

even a degree in chemistry would not study 99% about chemistry.

it includes learning about healthcare system,physiology and anatomy, phychological aspect, some theories, some chemistry, some simple calculation ,drugs and therapy, pharmaceutics etc.
So that means, we dont need to do Master level in Pharmacy in Malaysia if we have already taken MPharm in the UK?

But still it revolves mainly around Chemistry which I have very much difficulty in.

This post has been edited by Elven: Mar 14 2009, 06:40 PM
jerk
post Mar 14 2009, 06:37 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

total fees for UCSI for 4 years should add up to rm100k
hurm00
post Mar 14 2009, 06:43 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

elven..
have u fill the upu form?
hurm..just give it a shot. just put UM as ur 1st choice.
who knows..u maybe lucky.
perhaps..u can follow this plan..go matrix..study smart..get 4 flat...
with the result..u can apply for any course that u want.
matrix is only for 10months..eventho they say it is for a year..so..
less time consume..n the papers are easy..
Elven
post Mar 14 2009, 06:47 PM

Casual
399 posts

I've filled in the form, but can still be editted. I wanna try to do so but am afraid if i wont stand a chance of getting it. If u wanna know, my choices are all scienc-related such as medic, dentistry, and pharmacy. If matriculation is for 10 months, then how about Asasi?
jerk
post Mar 14 2009, 06:47 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

first, what is actually 'Asasi Farmasi'?

normally we apply for IPTA using STPM (form 6), so, there is either A, A-, B+, B and B- etc.

but 1 of my lecturer back in UCSI is a mpharm graduate through IMU. she did her master in australia. so, i think it depends?

Added on March 14, 2009, 6:52 pm@Elven

the selection process involve sending out all your 8 choices at once and not your 1st choice and if they reject you only they send out your second choice and so on.

you stand equal chance of getting it regardless which choices(either it is 1st choice or 8th choice) if they decided to offer you. but if you put USM pharmacy as 8th choice and accounting as 1st choice and somehow they decided to offer you both, in the end you will get accounting and not pharmacy( although you want pharmacy more) because accounting is your first choice or higher in the list of the course that you want.

i think i read about it some where but i couldnt recall. perhaps you want to ask around here.

This post has been edited by jerk: Mar 14 2009, 06:52 PM
Elven
post Mar 14 2009, 06:54 PM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(jerk @ Mar 14 2009, 07:47 PM)
first, what is actually 'Asasi Farmasi'?

normally we apply for IPTA using STPM (form 6), so, there is either A, A-, B+, B and B- etc.

but 1 of my lecturer back in UCSI is a mpharm graduate through IMU. she did her master in australia. so, i think it depends?
I dont get what u mean. Like Asasi Sains Hayat/Fizikal and Matriculation, Asasi Farmasi serves as a foundation course but only restricted to Pharmacy only if u are going to take Degree Program (Bachelor of Pharmacy). Whilst Asasi Sains Hayat can lead u to 3 paths, which are Medic, Dentistry or Pharmacy.
hurm00
post Mar 14 2009, 06:55 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(Elven @ Mar 14 2009, 07:47 PM)
I've filled in the form, but can still be editted. I wanna try to do so but am afraid if i wont stand a chance of getting it. If u wanna know, my choices are all scienc-related such as medic, dentistry, and pharmacy. If matriculation is for 10 months, then how about Asasi?
matrix and asasi hold the same principle.
things that they differ are : matrix is under kementrian pngajian tinggi..asasi is under um.
matrix , u go there..n u study in a college enviro + a lil bit like school enviro too..
asasi..u study in UM,, so u're gonna have the chance to feel the brisk of campus -life-like.
but...both are the same...they teach u the same thing...coz it is all bout basic science subjects..n the final exam has been standardized..
so...both are OK.
after finish, still aiming the same thing..enter U..
if u aimed to do asasi..then put it as ur 1st choice..coz they only pick those who filled at the 1st number..actually, filling in the form is like playing a jackpot..just praying for ur luck. icon_rolleyes.gif
dont think too much whether u're gonna make it or not..coz anywhere is the same..
nod.gif
Elven
post Mar 14 2009, 06:58 PM

Casual
399 posts

Well thanks hurm00 and jerk for firing me up. Now I am more confident to go for what I aim for. I'll just need to be confident to play this jackpot! biggrin.gif
hurm00
post Mar 14 2009, 07:00 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

haha...ya lor...
just pray for ur luck..
whatever the outcomes is, just do your best.
if u get matrix or asasi..aim for 4 flat..so that u can do degree in pharmacy.

jerk
post Mar 14 2009, 07:00 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

oh my god i couldnt believe i knew nothing about Asasi Sains Hayat/Fizikal. seriously

This post has been edited by jerk: Mar 14 2009, 07:01 PM

134 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:07 PM