Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

deadening material , Expanding Foam , Firewall., Want to learn more about it.

views

SUS-YellowSn0w-
post Feb 22 2009, 02:06 PM, updated 16y ago

You Are the Chosen One !
716 posts

Hi peeps the point i want to start this thread is i came across the word "deadening" and i taught of KL auto , Sika , Wurth and etc. So i am here would like to seek hardcore member here to able to brief me about all this.

Soundproof , deadening , Stifness and etc . smile.gif

This Thread is Strictly Education Related.

This post has been edited by -YellowSn0w-: Feb 22 2009, 02:09 PM
thefryingfox
post Feb 22 2009, 02:26 PM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

So far im trying to find out on the expanding foam for deadening but cant find

also i read online, there isnt much to be expected with the foam and cleaning up can be a b**** it seems.

BridgestoneRE711
post Feb 22 2009, 06:31 PM

♦ ♣ ♥ ♠
3,429 posts

the foam is actually quite hard in nature . pray hard not to have any crash with that after u have done it, if not it will be hard to be push/pull back.
alvinz
post Feb 22 2009, 07:15 PM

Enthusiast
832 posts

to be honest .. i dont know anything that u all stated above? .. mind explaining to me? sry i am just a beginner noob ... =(
Vanquish
post Feb 22 2009, 07:23 PM

F.U.B.A.R.
2,115 posts

QUOTE(alvinz @ Feb 22 2009, 07:15 PM)
to be honest .. i dont know anything that u all stated above? .. mind explaining to me? sry i am just a beginner noob ... =(
I can understand your confusion... What TS meant was Sound Deadening Materials... Stuffs that improve your car's NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness)... And stuff like the Expanding Foam is allegedly said to improve not only your car's NVH but also your car's chassis stiffness...
loong2020
post Feb 22 2009, 07:34 PM

Senior Star
771 posts

so if we use the foam type, its dangerous when any accident occur??...
alvinz
post Feb 22 2009, 07:50 PM

Enthusiast
832 posts

QUOTE(Vanquish @ Feb 22 2009, 07:23 PM)
I can understand your confusion... What TS meant was Sound Deadening Materials... Stuffs that improve your car's NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness)... And stuff like the Expanding Foam is allegedly said to improve not only your car's NVH but also your car's chassis stiffness...
thanks for the explanation ... i kinda have the rough picture of war TS mean ...
tqtqtq notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
SUS-YellowSn0w-
post Feb 22 2009, 10:25 PM

You Are the Chosen One !
716 posts

but is hard to get it , i saw one aerosol can stated " espanding Foam" but i wonder can i use that on my car chassis ? because it's stated for house use ?
Kclee2002
post Feb 22 2009, 10:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,134 posts

The expanding foam is actually polyurethane foam, you can read about it on wikipedia

also,

Originally Posted by SCC author Mike Kojima
Foam-Filling the Chassis
In any high-performance car, it is impossible to make the chassis too stiff. The stiffer the chassis, the higher its natural frequency, making the energy imparted to it by bumps less likely to excite the body's structure. A stiffer chassis enables the use of stiffer springs and shocks without hurting the ride. This is because a stiff, non-flexing chassis transfers more force into the suspension where it can be dissipated by the springs and shocks instead of transferring the force to the occupants. A stiff chassis is also more responsive to roll rate tuning for balancing understeer and oversteer. This is one of the reasons why automotive engineers are continually investigating ways to stiffen chassis without adding weight.

In a final bit of reengineering to stiffen the body, we injected the chassis with catalyzed rigid structural polyurethane foam. Structural foam, in the 2 lb per cubic foot density that we used, can stiffen chassis members up to 40 percent.

Higher densities of foam can increase stiffness by up to 300 percent. Since we cannot retool custom parts to redo the Z's body, we figured that this would be an excellent, low-cost way of greatly increasing chassis stiffness. Injecting foam is not a new technique for chassis stiffening. The Infiniti Q45 uses this sort of foam in some of its chassis members to increase stiffness, as do a few other premium cars. In fact, the foam we chose is the foam recommended to repair damaged Q45s.

To get the correct foam for our project, we contacted Art Goldman, Foamseal's automotive product manager and author of an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) paper on the use of structural foam for the stiffening of automotive unibody structures. We used Foamseal's two-component foam kit, p/n 11-22 to fill the main members of the chassis. Like we mentioned earlier, Foamseal is the supplier that I-CAR, a national certification group for quality auto repair, recommends for the repair of damaged, foam-filled chassis. The Foamseal kit uses a two-part catalyzed polyurethane foam, which quickly cures into rigid, waterproof, closed-cell foam. To prep the car, we carefully masked off all painted areas anywhere where the foam could drip. As this sort of foam is a thermosetting catalyzed plastic, we realized it could be icky if it spilled on paint or any part of the car's interior. This foam is nasty stuff. It is impervious to all known solvents and cleaners.

We were amazed at how this simple procedure improved the performance of the car. The chassis now almost feels like it has a roll cage. A sloped driveway can be driven up sideways with nary a creak. Even though the Z already has a pretty tight chassis, it feels more solid. The ride has improved and road noise has been reduced noticeably. We bet that the car will be even more responsive to chassis tuning measures in the future. If you are a slalom racer, a road racer, have a lowered car or even just want a smoother ride; foaming is a worthy, easy-to-do modification. Foamseal has foams in densities as high as 10 lbs per square foot if you desire to make things even stiffer.

Do not--I repeat--do not attempt to use cheap, hardware-store canned foam. This is not the same thing, and if injected into your chassis, will form a gummy mass that won't dry. Foamseal foam is a professional grade foam, which although it is a little unforgiving to cleanup mistakes, has superior mechanical properties and catalytic curing so it will dry even in an enclosed space.

sauce: Chassis filling foam
lot101
post Mar 1 2009, 07:42 PM

Apa got sing sing one......
603 posts

QUOTE(Kclee2002 @ Feb 22 2009, 10:55 PM)
The expanding foam is actually polyurethane foam, you can read about it on wikipedia

also,
The master has spoken ........Mike Kojima that is whistling.gif

and you need non-flammable PU foam. The normal ones catch fire real quick.
MyWifeCar
post Jun 14 2009, 05:49 PM

★ Car Soundproofing DIY~
591 posts

The spray thing into your chasis one, i heard someone claim before if you accident the Insurance company will blame it on you.

Sorry if i understand the question wrongly. smile.gif
alexei
post Jun 14 2009, 06:43 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

Interesting topic, I believe this foam also coats the inner walls of our fridge, once it's force injected, it expands and takes shape.
Problem with aftermarket foam, I reckon, would trap moisture during rain and processing, and that would corrode the antirust treatment and eventually the metal.
ah liew
post Jun 14 2009, 08:00 PM

エンジンオイル
829 posts

hi johnkor, what has expanding foam got to do with CF hood brows.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0162sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:29 AM