Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Create wireless from your Mac!, enjoy wifi without wireless router

views

TSwear
post Jan 15 2009, 06:15 AM, updated 16y ago

34 posts

(Correct me if this tutorial already discussed/exist.-I had perform a search indeed..) whistling.gif

This tutorial will guide you on how to create a wifi from your Mac and of course will save you few $$$ from buying wireless router. (I use this setting/method to connect my ipod touch to wifi..)

1- Go to your System Preferences and click Sharing;

user posted image

2- Left side of setting options, highlights Internet Sharing. (At this stage, do not tick the small box next to it yet.)

user posted image

3- Right side of setting options, choose the way you connect your Mac to internet from the menu Share you connection from: Blutooth/Firewire/Airport/Ethernet.
For the To computers using menu below it, do tick Airport.

user posted image

4- (I would say that this number 4 step is optional). In order to secure your soon-to-be-able wifi, click the AirPort Options.. button and the dialog box below will appear..
Named your Network Name as you want, tick the Enable encryption box and key in your password. (For the Channel & WEP Key Length setting, just follow the image below if you don’t know what they are for.)
Click OK button..(It will bring you back to the picture in step no.2 above.)

user posted image

5- This time, tick the box next to Internet Sharing and confirmation dialog box Are you sure you want to turn on Internet sharing? will appear. Click Start for this..

user posted image

6-You has successfully done creating your wifi. Congratulation!!
You may notice that your airport status will change from user posted image to user posted image..

Here you go, wifi from your Mac:

user posted image

This post has been edited by wear: Jan 15 2009, 06:20 AM
Shin1022
post Jan 15 2009, 06:30 AM

On my way
580 posts

wow...nice posting. thanks.
zaini_dms
post Jan 15 2009, 07:31 AM

15 posts

Kudos to you my friend. Thanks for sharing.
civic98
post Jan 15 2009, 07:43 AM

Regular
1,255 posts

Huh? Thought this is well known already? As in someone asked to do this with his PSP too just some time back? Right here at this forum...

Anyway good effort with all the attached pics...

Ps: That is the use of having built in Airport Extreme

This post has been edited by civic98: Jan 15 2009, 07:43 AM
keccik
post Jan 15 2009, 08:38 AM

Vaporist
583 posts

wow this is something new for me. great posting! thx..
tishaban
post Jan 15 2009, 08:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

This is called adhoc networks and it's been around for probably 10 years or more and as civic98 said almost all wifi enabled devices can do it too. Most people are clueless about it so it's good to post it again every few years. Thanks!

FooZ
post Jan 15 2009, 09:03 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

Thank you for refreshing our memory with a good tutorial. happy.gif
wei
post Jan 15 2009, 09:15 AM

Get your Macs done right!
6,491 posts

So many of you never know this ka? doh.gif hahaha.
You can also share to Firewire & Ethernet. This is another reason I love Firewire.
You can do it multiple way, like internet from Airport share to Ethernet. Ethernet in share to Firewire. But provided your Mac still have firewire la.
rx330
post Jan 15 2009, 09:24 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,580 posts

i know got this, but never knew how to get it going, thanks

but most prolly i wont try either tongue.gif
TSwear
post Jan 15 2009, 09:54 AM

34 posts

thanks for all your comment people..
yes I know that this thing has been around for a long time..but there's still many people who don't really know on how to get it works.. sweat.gif

this adhoc internet not only works with Mac, but also PC.. cool2.gif
vandetta
post Jan 15 2009, 10:30 AM

On my way
658 posts

I know how to do it in windows, but don't know how to do it in mac, now I knew it, thanks dude!
hapa
post Jan 15 2009, 12:10 PM

i kill u!!
821 posts

thx man....
Eithanius
post Jan 15 2009, 12:21 PM

::+::KukuNius(tm)::+::
3,933 posts

QUOTE(wei @ Jan 15 2009, 09:15 AM)
So many of you never know this ka? doh.gif hahaha.
You can also share to Firewire & Ethernet. This is another reason I love Firewire.
You can do it multiple way, like internet from Airport share to Ethernet. Ethernet in share to Firewire. But provided your Mac still have firewire la.
How many of us here are from the old pre-Intel skool....? tongue.gif

It's a pity they omitted FireWire from MBs... doh.gif It's as crippled as the MBAs....
stringfellow
post Jan 15 2009, 12:31 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

user posted image

Time to move on. What's "crippling" to some, is liberating to others.
wei
post Jan 15 2009, 02:01 PM

6,491 posts

Move on to what? Apparently there's no choice or upgrade for ports. Unless they planning to release FW1600 or FW3200. Neither USB3.0 ready for commercial use. I'm still waiting to "move on".

This post has been edited by wei: Jan 15 2009, 02:01 PM
dvlzplayground
post Jan 15 2009, 02:04 PM

Web developer Nadzim.com
7,916 posts

i only have one computer, n when i moved to uni i dont know anything about networking (cuz there's nothing to connect to). i dont know what adhoc was. then my friend said "wah adhoc oso u dunno ka? i show u, in windows xp damn easy to do!". after dozens n dozens of clicks, he finally set up at adhoc network n we played dota.

then i tried to create an adhoc network from my mac. juz need 3 clicks only tongue.gif (click airport, create network, ok) haha. btw i didnt know a lot of people do not know about this internet sharing. here's another thing u might dont know

if u have a 3g phone, activate bluetooth. on ur mac, on bluetooth as well and when ur phone comes up in the list, click Connect to Network. after that u can surf internet using ur phone's 3g connection.

also, do this internet sharing thing again. but instead of Ethernet to Airport, do Bluetooth to Airport. now anyone can connect to ur Mac thru wifi, and surf using ur 3g connection. all wireless.

it'll cost a bomb though, but great for emergencies biggrin.gif but some phones (including my SE C902) cant receive calls n sms when being used as a modem

This post has been edited by dvlzplayground: Jan 15 2009, 02:06 PM
stringfellow
post Jan 15 2009, 02:06 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

The "move on" comment is about the lamentation of the supposed "crippling" of the MBA. People are asking too much for a thin laptop to have all the desired ports that they want. The MBA is a "concept" you will have to either subscribe to, or dont. Just like how ultraportables like the Vaio UX or the Kohjinshas are compared to full featured laptops. Comparing it with the other portables in the Apple lineup would definitely bring up its deficiencies, but try comparing it with the other ultraportables, and see where it stands. It is easy to dismiss this, since the concept of "ultraportables" is very new to those who had stayed exclusive to Apple laptops, but the PC market had seen this a while longer(Vaio UX, OQO ,Vye and Raon Everun models) , and there is a niche market for it. Apple just decides to blur that line further between "ultraportables" and your standard portable laptop.

I love the Firewire and all, but I don't lament and moan about its loss. It's just something that you'd have to take it in, and carry on with your life. And if you cant live without it, then stay.

This post has been edited by stringfellow: Jan 15 2009, 02:16 PM
dvlzplayground
post Jan 15 2009, 02:38 PM

Web developer Nadzim.com
7,916 posts

oh ya, for iphone / ipod touch owners who never knew about adhoc, try the Remote app tongue.gif
wei
post Jan 15 2009, 02:39 PM

6,491 posts

Agree & point taken, maybe it's been a "practice" to accept whatever being pushed towards us. I'm surely not into that. Who decide a laptop/netbook must be so and so? Can't it be different?

Think Different it is.
stringfellow
post Jan 15 2009, 02:42 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Exactly. Why when it comes everything else Apple, people chant the "Think Different" mantra, but when it comes to the MBA, they "Think like a PC"? I would readily accept "No money" as one of the reason for not considering an MBA, but hating it with that much fierceness, point towards something more chronic than just the price/performance factor. Eh.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.77    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:42 PM