New movie ticket pricing scheme, What do you think

views

TSrealmcord80
post Dec 24 2008, 09:16 PM, updated 16y ago

Getting Started
108 posts

NST article links:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wed...icle/index_html

There is a proposal by the Malaysian Film Producers of Malaysia to raise the ticket price of foreign movies to RM20 and Local movies at RM12.

This suppose to help the local film industry to sustain and gain better viewership.

My take on things is that this is ridiculous. Who the hell wanna watch at the cinema if the rates are that expensive, local & foreign included. Maybe they are clueless bout the economy rite now and people are not going too spend something like that easily. They would rather spend in on food, shelter and other basic need first.

Now, saying about supporting the Local film.... if the film is good and its getting good promotion, then there is no reason for it to fail. Sad to say much of the local film are lacking good promotional exercise. It's a sales business, so treat it like one.

All in all hiking the price is not the solution...gives us good movie...we will support you.

Expensive ticket price = more opportunity for the pirate dvd seller blink.gif

Hevrn
post Dec 24 2008, 09:25 PM

4,016 posts

Instead of charging more for Hollywood movies, why not half the prices of local movies to actually draw more demand. Shows how stupid some authorities are.
baoz
post Dec 24 2008, 09:34 PM

Enthusiast
957 posts

That is just ridiculous.

They're only gonna increase the sales of pirated DVDs around.

Nothing much can be done to boost the local film industry. Double the price for foreign movies? GSC and TGV are gonna go bust.
soulknight
post Dec 24 2008, 09:47 PM

On my way
529 posts

"We are sure that if ticket prices for local movies are reduced, more people will watch them."

he stated that to REDUCED but what he proposes was to increase the prices. that's a very ridiculous idea. the problem why malaysian made movie wasnt so popular so much such as the hollywood are coz of our standard and the quality of the movies. the genre and storyline (mostly on comedies and love story) most of malaysian movies are actually quite the same n that's cause malaysian people tend to go for hollywood movies more than our own made film.
xgreen7
post Dec 24 2008, 09:52 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

pirates would scream hearing this news. the difference between local n international movies are so very big. people dont watch movies just because the tickets are cheap. we definitely watch them because of the good story they provide. and malaysian movies, some just provide nonsense. little have good story.

about cgi and all..dont hv to mention that.
Lefty
post Dec 24 2008, 09:55 PM

Designer Piece
750 posts

this will make the current economic even worst. with that price people will not go to cinema and there is a big chunk of money cannot move. if the local movie is up to standard i wont mind go and watch not because of the price of current movie. For example movie from singapore are not high budget but the meaning behind the movie that attract ppl go and watch it. Malaysian movie maker should try harder rather than calling consumer to pay higher price for the foreign movie.
masterelr
post Dec 24 2008, 09:58 PM

Enthusiast
987 posts

I have to agree. How would increasing the ticket price of Hollywood movies make us want to watch local movies instead? Its not going to work. Thats like increasing the price of cigarettes but more people are smokin' now instead.

This shows that the local film industry has failed badly in gathering audiences which is why they have to use these type of tactics.
I bet my ass most people would rather not watch movies at all than to watch local films.

This post has been edited by masterelr: Dec 24 2008, 09:59 PM
xgreen7
post Dec 24 2008, 10:10 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(masterelr @ Dec 24 2008, 09:58 PM)
I have to agree. How would increasing the ticket price of Hollywood movies make us want to watch local movies instead? Its not going to work. Thats like increasing the price of cigarettes but more people are smokin' now instead.

This shows that the local film industry has failed badly in gathering audiences which is why they have to use these type of tactics.
I bet my ass most people would rather not watch movies at all than to watch local films.
haha. bet your ass! but its very true.

the thing is, malaysian movie makers shud make their movie stories better. not just do stupid comedies. comedies are comedies, but still, they shud put something good inside the story, and let the comedies be fresh and not stupid. sometimes i watch those stupid jokes and i cant laugh. i feel embarassed instead. and ashamed. for them, because the jokes arent jokes anymore. the actors became jokes.. because they made fool of themselves.

whats with me and the comedies? suddenly so emo tongue.gif
soulknight
post Dec 24 2008, 10:24 PM

On my way
529 posts

QUOTE(xgreen7 @ Dec 24 2008, 10:10 PM)
haha. bet your ass! but its very true.

the thing is, malaysian movie makers shud make their movie stories better. not just do stupid comedies. comedies are comedies, but still, they shud put something good inside the story, and let the comedies be fresh and not stupid. sometimes i watch those stupid jokes and i cant laugh. i feel embarassed instead. and ashamed. for them, because the jokes arent jokes anymore. the actors became jokes.. because they made fool of themselves.

whats with me and the comedies? suddenly so emo  tongue.gif
ya that's really true. even my self already lost a bit motivation to watch some Malaysian movies. some if its kind of stupid actually. we really need good director who have a very great talent like Tan Sri P.Ramlee to make a movie that worth to be watch no matter how many times. now days so many movies that the storyline so childish and nonsense being released in the cinema's. if u remember movies like "Jangan Pandang Belakang" manages to get many people watching it coz of the story based on something we believe. A good producer doesn't need to rely on very expensive cgi just to make the story more interesting.
rEDs
post Dec 24 2008, 10:49 PM

җ- Z e B r a H e a D -җ
2,209 posts

lower the income of actor/actress lar..... majority living like rich and famous la...
or go buy independence movie maker film..some much better, but never have opportunity due to cronism....
wayne322
post Dec 25 2008, 01:14 AM

Mein Herz Brennt
635 posts

What a farking ridiculous?

If the price really raise,then i think GSC will be empty even it is holiday,and pasar malam pirates's seller will gain more profit cz most of us will think,RM 20 to buy a ticket watch at cinema,why don we spend RM 10 at pasar malam to buy a pirates one,we can do collection too by buying that DVD,plus that sometime there got 3 movie in one DVD with high video quality.

Instead of thinking raising the price,why don they use the time to think how to improve local making?

RM 20 for foreign movie,RM 12 for local movie,this show that how cheap is local making...what the fark is the authorities doing?Really an ignorant and ridiculous thinking!!

This post has been edited by wayne322: Dec 25 2008, 01:14 AM
beck_ken
post Dec 25 2008, 09:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,716 posts

ask them go to any big shopping mall on weekend that has cinema. Just take Mid Valley for example, you can see how many people are Q-ing up for the movie? Ask those idiots go there do experiment, ask the GSC staffs do announcement that Hollywood films will be charge at RM20...I can bet you that half of the Q-ing list will come out from that long Q
birain
post Dec 25 2008, 11:34 AM

良い一日を
1,448 posts

anyway, who watch local movie? i don't watch it. even if its on local tv(free),i don't tune into that channel showing it. i'll rather watch english,japanese,korean, taiwanese and china made.
beck_ken
post Dec 25 2008, 09:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,716 posts

QUOTE(birain @ Dec 25 2008, 11:34 AM)
anyway, who watch local movie? i don't watch it. even if its on local tv(free),i don't tune into that channel showing it. i'll rather watch english,japanese,korean, taiwanese and china made.
I rather watch Thailand movies than Malaysian movies
St0rmFury
post Dec 25 2008, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
211 posts

*WARNING STRONG LANGUAGE NOT MEANT FOR THE VIRGIN EYES OF KIDS*

http://bytemuncher.blogspot.com/2008/12/ma...ase-go-and.html
fujkenasai
post Dec 25 2008, 10:25 PM

Regular
1,137 posts

to be honest if movies prices are 20 ringgit Id stop goin to cinemas, Id rather spend my money on other stuff besides malaysian cinema movies are censored why do I wanna watch incomplete stuff thats so expensive. i hope that this is just talk no action.
Cheesenium
post Dec 25 2008, 11:59 PM

Vigilo Confido
4,852 posts

If watching movies in cinema is RM20,i rather wait for DVD then.

I dont watch local movies because they are crap.They always make those love story which i will never watch.Even Hollywood's love movie,i also wont watch.

The local movie's actor's are bad.Story are bad. CGI,what CGI? Whats the point of watching local movies? I rather give my money to Codemaster Malaysia than giving to these people who are horrible in making movies.
aspire2oo6
post Dec 26 2008, 12:02 AM

Banned
34,712 posts

government very smart the higher u raise the more privacy will be around. Not we dont want to watch local movie but there are just bullcrap. If its good we dont mind watching. Have u watch malayasian CGI i better stay at home and sleep then waste RM20 to watch that lousy CGI

This post has been edited by aspire2oo6: Dec 26 2008, 12:02 AM
spartacvs
post Dec 26 2008, 01:12 AM

I thought my jokes were bad!
1,281 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Its called irony and its a very common practice in Malaysia, I would say. I guess they failed to recognize that moviegoers don't watch movie based on the price of the ticket.

sapphire.pets
post Dec 26 2008, 05:08 AM

0 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I came across this news today, I was stunned to see such a thing. C'mon, just because the price of movie tickets increased, doesn't mean everyone would go for local movies, especially when you got lame local movies, either with terrible storylines or graphics. I don't mean that the local movie industry needs to close down, but at least focus on more high quality movies. For example, I've heard all the hype about the Susuk, when i watched it, it was low quality, boring and in some cases, dumb for a horror movie. It's just like the movie makers are just making a movie to earn that bit of fame and fortune. It's not like Malaysia doesn't produce good movies, I heard that Puteri Gunung Ledang was great, the P Ramlee movies are still watched on Astro, Scenario has been famous for so many years, even Cicakman (even though it wasn't a GREAT movie) broke new ground. Now the movie industry is complaining that they're not earning enough, and they want to increase the ticket price, so that they could have more funding for more movies. Even if we had unlimited funding, no one would watch local movies if they're poorly produced. Just look at the LYN forums, we discuss all types of movies, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, US, UK, but we hardly talk about Malaysian movies. Even if we do talk about local movies, that would be because they were either produced with a high budget or because they're incredibly dumb, pick your side.

What do you think?

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0189sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:52 PM