Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Downtime Undersea sub-cables have just broken..., Is the internet going down?

views

TSHisyamudin
post Dec 20 2008, 09:08 AM, updated 16y ago

Getting Started
56 posts

December 19, 2008
Is the internet going down? Undersea sub-cables have just broken...

Internetcables

Breaking news: something's happening to the internet, right now. We're just not quite sure what.

Interoute, the internet networks company, reports that three of the four internet sub-cables that run from Asia to North America have been damaged.

These carry more than 75 per cent of traffic between the Middle East, Europe and America. It's hard to gather what this actually means - is it that the internet is down or (more likely) significantly slower than usual between the Middle East and America? (If you're reading this, let's face it, the internet has not shut down altogether)

But, according to the company, there is a domino effect taking place. Interoute says it is:

"hearing that offices have lost their entire private network connectivity. As a result, users are unable to do their daily job over the internet and are turning to their mobile phones to communicate across the globe. This is having a knock on effect on the domestic voice networks, which are getting a surge of calls needing to be routed internationally. These calls need to be routed onto international gateways that pass voice traffic in longer directions around the world to avoid the cable breaks – causing more quality issues and risk more call failures, in turn causing more calls to be placed and increasing the pressure on local voice networks. "

Read more

Do your internet connection feel slower?
I have problem connecting to internasional sites ( I alway do though tongue.gif )

This post has been edited by Hisyamudin: Dec 20 2008, 09:10 AM
Skylinestar
post Dec 20 2008, 09:25 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

connecting to [H] is still fast,, w00t
wo0p
post Dec 20 2008, 09:29 AM

Getting Started
138 posts

December 19th, 2008
Streamyx Interruption to Europe

There appears to be a interruption in Streamyx’s link to Europe resulting in heavy loss and dropped connections.

This has happened at exactly the same time on all our Europe based servers in different datacentres and furthermore European sites refuse to load properly or do so very slowly. Corporate lines on TMNet are also affected so it appears to be a major routing issue.

European/UK based sites are refusing to load in a timely manner. Some examples:

1. BBC UK
2. European Union Website
3. Barclays Bank
4. HSBC UK

US sites also showed a degradation in speed.

We will keep you updated on any new developments. Meanwhile stay calm and start calling TM’s support lines!

Update 4:55 PM

taken from bolehvpn blog

now internet is okay ya ... i can torrent back again
TimKen
post Dec 20 2008, 11:21 AM

Casual
398 posts

why the undersea cable can suddenly broken ??? is there an earthquake or what ???
kev da man
post Dec 20 2008, 11:24 AM

super lurker
All Stars
15,278 posts

godzilla woke up that's why.
in other news, i have no problems with international sites so far.
qwer312
post Dec 20 2008, 11:36 AM

Getting Started
165 posts

slow connect to international sites...as usual....but seem this time is more slower
xpresside
post Dec 20 2008, 12:03 PM

Regular
1,969 posts

According to telecom provider Interoute, three of the four underseas sub-cables connecting Asia to North America have been severed for unknown reasons. These cables carry more than 75% of the internet traffic between the America, Europe, and the Middle East. The cut occurred today somewhere in the Mediterranean, between Sicily and Tunisia, though, at present, the reasons for the cut are unknown; nevertheless, France Telecom has stated that it thinks an attack is "unlikely."

At present, 65% of internet traffic with India is offline, 59% with Singapore, 44% with Malaysia, 55% with Saudi Arabia, 52% with Egypt, 39% with Taiwan, and 51% with Pakistan. Yemen and Sudan have also reported phone and Internet difficulties Friday, though it is unclear whether this is tied to the outage. The breakage will probably take several days for the cables to be repaired, so business traffic is currently being routed through lines going to the US. More updates as they come.

In January this year a breakdown in an international undersea cable network disrupted Internet links to Egypt, India and Gulf Arab countries.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/12/19/t...b-cables-broken
hafiez
post Dec 20 2008, 12:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,974 posts

ym n messenger takleh masuk. lol.
maru
post Dec 20 2008, 12:29 PM

Regular
1,191 posts

coolness can rot n die
haya
post Dec 20 2008, 12:53 PM

Sarawakian first!
2,011 posts

According to the BBC, there are 3 cables affected: FLAG's Europe-Asia, South East Asia–Middle East–Western Europe 4, and SEA-ME-WE 3. Interestingly it was the disruption of the SEA-ME-WE 3 in early 2007 off Taiwan that isolated Malaysia.

I'm not sure why it is affecting Malaysia so much, as our main links are actually to the USA via the Japan-US/HK-US cables (via the Mersing-Shantou/Lantau section of the SEA-ME-WE 3). Probably the Middle-East and India rerouting their connections eastwards towards East Asia and across the Pacific.

Connections to Malaysia/Singapore still fine from the southern hemisphere via the Australia-Japan cable.
SUSedmunz
post Dec 20 2008, 12:58 PM

dupe buster..since 2010
900 posts

still not feeling da heat... m'sia to china still ok tongue.gif
thechetticompany
post Dec 20 2008, 01:35 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(Hisyamudin @ Dec 20 2008, 09:08 AM)
December 19, 2008
Is the internet going down? Undersea sub-cables have just broken...

Internetcables

significantly slower than usual between the Middle East and America? (If you're reading this, let's face it, the internet has not shut down altogether)

Do your internet connection feel slower?
I have problem connecting to internasional sites ( I alway do though  tongue.gif )
Did anyone really wonder why the cables between Middle East Asia and Europe always get snapped when you do not have much natural disaster going on there?

These people have nothing to do and with the oil prices plunging, they say sabotaging could never be ruled out.
Incidents like these is not new even earlier this year it has been going on since last December till now.

Flag Telecom has Indian interests and the undersea cable mainly connects Europe and South Asia.

Do some Googling and you would find some interesting news about this story.

Here's an example:

DOHA — Damage to several undersea telecom cables that caused outages across the Middle East and Asia could have been an act of sabotage, the International Telecommunication Union said on Monday.

"We do not want to pre-empt the results of ongoing investigations, but we do not rule out that a deliberate act of sabotage caused the damage to the undersea cables over two weeks ago," the UN agency's head of development, Sami al-Murshed, told AFP.

Five undersea cables were damaged in late January and early February, leading to disruption to Internet and telephone services in parts of the Middle East and south Asia.

There has been speculation that the sheer number of cables being cut over such a short period was too much of a coincidence and that sabotage must have been involved.

India's Flag telecom revealed on Feb. 7 that the cut to the Falcon cable between the United Arab Emirates and Oman was caused by a ship's anchor. But mystery shrouds what caused another four reported cuts.

"Some experts doubt the prevailing view that the cables were cut by accident, especially as the cables lie at great depths under the sea and are not passed over by ships," Murshed said on the sidelines of a conference on cyber-crime held in Gulf state of Qatar.

The Falcon cable has since been repaired, along with the Flag Europe Asia (FEA) cable which was damaged off Egypt's Mediterranean coast. The status of the remaining cable is still unclear.

http://www.france24.com/en/20080218-mideas...le-cut-sabotage

Go Go HINDRAF!
gs20
post Dec 20 2008, 01:51 PM

Regular
1,685 posts

I'm curious, if those cables are the main cause of the international access outage, why only certain area and certain ISP is affected? Why won't it affect the whole region?
birain
post Dec 20 2008, 02:16 PM

良い一日を
1,448 posts

QUOTE(gs20 @ Dec 20 2008, 01:51 PM)
I'm curious, if those cables are the main cause of the international access outage, why only certain area and certain ISP is affected? Why won't it affect the whole region?
different isp use different routing line. certain area also using the same principle.
bushidiot
post Dec 20 2008, 03:31 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

hua3... rclxm9.gif
dah 2 weeks i can't access certain site
like example : myspace.com , iluvislam.com and other international..
to reaccess the site, i need to use proxy..
but certain proxy especially managed by Pak Arab blocked MySpace Blog.
but myspace is not block... flex.gif
huhuhu...

TMNet SucKs
John Chaser
post Dec 20 2008, 03:33 PM

On my way
609 posts

WTH?! Underwater cables, conspiracy theories, sabotage......good God I'm gonna make a movie out of this.
corallinkz
post Dec 20 2008, 03:59 PM

Regular
1,369 posts

Oh noes! teh terrorists are attacking teh interwebz!!
OmniAtlas
post Dec 20 2008, 04:19 PM

Enthusiast
946 posts

The line is fixed. Suddenly all my websites are loading extremely fast.
convivencia
post Dec 20 2008, 05:08 PM

idiot
2,675 posts

Damn !

The other day I just talked about underwater cables and how Taiwan earth movement cause havoc and today we got this !

Damn !!

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by convivencia: Dec 20 2008, 05:09 PM
vista enthusiasist
post Dec 20 2008, 08:01 PM

Casual
431 posts

nothing change streamyx is normal

35 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.21    6 queries    GZIP Disabled