3 posts

QUOTE(TommyTan @ Jan 21 2011, 12:01 PM)
that would be the escaped rat for the "soup of the day"
Tommy I got a place in Cheras interested to go

called Demaw smile.gif
ZeppelInk!
post Jan 26 2011, 06:29 PM

6 posts

I heard a bit about Suzi's... heard very good things!

My question is: I only eat my steak rare (Ya lah, I like it almost uncooked lah), but some restaurants precook their meat a bit first, then sear it to heat it up before serving.

Where can I can actual rare steak? (you know, when you cut it, it bleeds).
nazish
post Jan 26 2011, 10:40 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(ZeppelInk! @ Jan 26 2011, 06:29 PM)

My question is: I only eat my steak rare (Ya lah, I like it almost uncooked lah), but some restaurants precook their meat a bit first, then sear it to heat it up before serving. 

Where can I can actual rare steak?  (you know, when you cut it, it bleeds).
I assure you that Suzie steaks are made from rare to whatever done-ness you want... but the question if they can make RARE well, I cant say because I eat Medium (reddish pink but not bleeding). I know what you are talking about like Station One had cooked steaks only re-heated ... but they removed it from the menu these days.

This post has been edited by nazish: Jan 26 2011, 10:47 PM
nazish
post Jan 26 2011, 10:49 PM

2 posts

Visited Laman Grill today. Ordered two Forset Mushroom Soup, that came with a toast of garlic bread. The soup quantity was a bit less, even though the way of serving matches the "fine dining" concept, where you are never served enough or sorry satisfied enough hehe. The taste was good. Also ordered Prawn Tempura, that was nice, but the "too perfect" look of the tempuras left a question, if they were out from packets smile.gif taste was good, but I would have preferred some innovation in the side serving rather than plain Mayo. Oh ya they had some mango salad on the side, that was quite nice.
For the mains hubby ordered short ribs (RM 44.50) that came quiet well... he said they were comparable to Tony Roma ribs in taste and size was quite ok as well... seems they have revised the size after Putraskyline's visit and feedback smile.gif But my Tenderloin, was sort of disappointing ... I ordered it medium and when it came first the small size was a bit shocking (200 g, RM 39.50) and then all the juices were out on the plate ... and when i cut it, it was well-done. So sorry Laman Grill, I wasn't too happy with my steak... perhaps it was a bad day, but i liked the side items (mashed potato, green salad and onion rings).
A tip for Laman Grill (incase anyone happens to read this): A steak should not leave the kitchen "un-rested" and it should NEVER leave the kitchen if there are juices on the plate. I see that all of you are energetic young boys and I wish you all the best and hope you will do well smile.gif

Good things: Nice Beef ribs (recommended), mushroom soup, good service (even though they did not ask me how did i find my food) and nice ambience.
So my overall steak experience changes as below:

No 1. Gaucho Grill (try their T Bone or Tenderloin, ask them to bring the sauce separate)
No 2. Suzie Corner (tenderloin at RM 32, a total value for money, ask them to bring sauce separate)
No 3. Alexis (i frequent Garden's branch) and their steaks are soft and yummy and side items superb (tried ther Wagyu, nothing special)
No 4. Tony Roma's Wagyu (their normal steaks are tough, but their Wagyus are absolutely worth, RM 99)
No 5. Maredo's (quite big portions, i was absolutely full after i finished eating, but poor customer service)
No 6. Laman Grill (Tenderloin. Recommend eating their short ribs as they are better)
No 7. Las Vacas (Angus Ribeye RM 28 per 100g, down side is that meat is not marinated hence very superficial taste)
No 8. Castell's Ribeye Steak (the beef ribs sucked big time, so no verdict for that)
No 9. Daily Grind - Ribeye Steak (good quality meat, please ask them to keep the sauce separate, in love with their burgers)
No 10. Monte's Bangsar (salt-less, tasteless, but tender steak)

This post has been edited by nazish: Jan 29 2011, 07:46 PM
deodorant
post Jan 26 2011, 10:59 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

Most utter useless tip in this thread: I had a steak in the Thorn Tree Cafe, Sarova Stanley Hotel, Nairobi, and it was sh*t. So if you're ever in Nairobi (for safari?), and staying in the Stanley (which is one of the best hotels in town), do yourself a favor and don't eat steak.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/kenya/nairobi/...thorn-tree-cafe
nazish
post Jan 27 2011, 10:36 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 26 2011, 10:59 PM)
Most utter useless tip in this thread: I had a steak in the Thorn Tree Cafe, Sarova Stanley Hotel, Nairobi, and it was sh*t. So if you're ever in Nairobi (for safari?), and staying in the Stanley (which is one of the best hotels in town), do yourself a favor and don't eat steak.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/kenya/nairobi/...thorn-tree-cafe
what exactly do you mean by this "Most utter useless tip in this thread"?
deodorant
post Jan 27 2011, 01:48 PM

5,691 posts

i mean, how likely is anyone reading this right now, going to ever find him/herself in nairobi sometime in the future? haha.
ZeppelInk!
post Jan 27 2011, 04:30 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(nazish @ Jan 26 2011, 11:40 PM)
I assure you that Suzie steaks are made from rare to whatever done-ness you want... but the question if they can make RARE well, I cant say because I eat Medium (reddish pink but not bleeding). I know what you are talking about like Station One had cooked steaks only re-heated ... but they removed it from the menu these days.
Thank you, Nazish!!! I will be going there soon! biggrin.gif
nazish
post Jan 27 2011, 05:25 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(ZeppelInk! @ Jan 27 2011, 04:30 PM)
Thank you, Nazish!!! I will be going there soon!  biggrin.gif
Suzie steak hut closed from 1-10 Feb, just incase you go there and get disappointed smile.gif
juschin
post Jan 29 2011, 03:38 PM

3 posts

Tony Roma's has a Wagyu Ribeye promotion now at RM129 and it's pretty darn good. Marbling is quite high and I have it medium, so quite jelak after a while and couldn't finish the whole thing! So good that I actually had in for lunch on 20/1 at the Cineleisure outlet and again on 21/1 at the 1 Mont Kiara outlet!

Make sure you get them to put the sauce on the side though. They drowned it in the sauce at the 1 Mont Kiara outlet and that kind of killed the taste of the meat.

On another note, Las Carretas used to do really good beef ribs but the last time I was at the Subang outlet, I think they must've changed the chef coz it was way-off taste wise.
nazish
post Jan 29 2011, 07:43 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(juschin @ Jan 29 2011, 03:38 PM)
Tony Roma's has a Wagyu Ribeye promotion now at RM129 and it's pretty darn good.
Can you remember how many grams? Last time I ate it was for RM 99 on the menu... so wonder what is the promo like... may be marbling difference or is it something else?
If you reply fast, I might end up at Tony tonight smile.gif
I frequently go to Tony Roma Sunway for my lunch, as their lunch menu is damn value for money... e.g. Soup + Bread & Butter + Coke + Burger can be as low as RM 16.90 on the bill and then if you give feedback on their website and give them the receipt next time you get RM 10 off on the bill (if total >30)... I have their special sticker (got it once by chance) and I get 10% discount as well... but somehow I have gotten so spoiled paying low bills at lunch that I have stopped going there at night hehehe smile.gif

In love with Suzie, but Suzie too far sad.gif

This post has been edited by nazish: Jan 29 2011, 07:50 PM
hfi
post Jan 29 2011, 09:33 PM

On my way
598 posts

QUOTE(ZeppelInk! @ Jan 26 2011, 06:29 PM)

Where can I can actual rare steak?  (you know, when you cut it, it bleeds).
Why dont you just grill it yourself ? Its so easy, takes 3-4 mins for medium rare. Less if you want it more rare. Then let it rest for few mins to let the juice settle. Profit!
C-Note
post Jan 29 2011, 10:09 PM

starry starry night
3,037 posts

hey guys,

where can I find meat shop that sells good quality wagyu beef? Preferably authenticated wagyu marbling grading system
deodorant
post Jan 30 2011, 03:58 AM

5,691 posts

QUOTE(hfi @ Jan 29 2011, 09:33 PM)
Why dont you just grill it yourself ? Its so easy, takes 3-4 mins for medium rare. Less if you want it more rare. Then let it rest for few mins to let the juice settle. Profit!

I use the 'thumb meat' way to tell once the steak is medium or medium rare (i.e. hold your thumb to your finger, and the 'hardness' of the flesh below the thumb corresponds to how hard the steak should be). problem is, (i) can't find good beef and (ii) using a griddle doesn't give the same flavor as a real grill.
juschin
post Jan 30 2011, 10:17 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(nazish @ Jan 29 2011, 07:43 PM)
Can you remember how many grams? Last time I ate it was for RM 99 on the menu... so wonder what is the promo like... may be marbling difference or is it something else?
My bad, you're right, the Wagyu Ribeye is on their regular menu. The new promotion was for the Wagyu New York Strip. Can't remember the size though but was just nice (although I couldn't finish it).

Don't forget to get them to put the sauce on the side!

user posted image

user posted image drool.gif

This post has been edited by juschin: Jan 30 2011, 11:54 PM
hfi
post Jan 30 2011, 11:02 AM

On my way
598 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 30 2011, 03:58 AM)
I use the 'thumb meat' way to tell once the steak is medium or medium rare (i.e. hold your thumb to your finger, and the 'hardness' of the flesh below the thumb corresponds to how hard the steak should be). problem is, (i) can't find good beef and (ii) using a griddle doesn't give the same flavor as a real grill.
True you wont get the full flavor of restaurant grill but these days i get by with just pan frying my steak with a bit of oil and then basting it with butter. Just have to make sure to season it properly and get that nice crust on the steak. I live in Ampang and there's this specialized meat outlet which sells high quality beef cuts. A bit too expensive for me, so normally i just settle for those oz rib-eyes.
nazish
post Jan 30 2011, 06:32 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(juschin @ Jan 30 2011, 10:17 AM)
My bad, you're right, the Wagyu Ribeye is on their regular menu. The new promotion was for the Wagyu New York Strip. Can't remember the size though but was just nice (although I couldn't finish it).
Went Tony Roma for lunch and ordered New York strip... quite a decent portion (may be 10 oz), but a steak eater like me can finish atleast two of those and not complain hehehe smile.gif
It was indeed a high fat content wagyu and it was rested properly so not a single drop of juice came out until the last bite even though mine was medium rare... and they gave RM 10 voucher for next visit... so my next visit should be RM 20 +10% discount cheaper ...hurrah! I love their service or may be we visit too frequent thats why we get very special loving treatment ...

mc1224
post Jan 30 2011, 10:11 PM

32 posts

thumbs up for jarrod & rawlins..

it is located at damansara heights in a humble bungalow...te environment is ok...not very high class tho...it serves non-halal..
fresh from the counter meat, where you choose your meats/sausages/ham/bacon...the restaurant is also famous for its sandwich..

This post has been edited by mc1224: Jan 30 2011, 10:12 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
nazish
post Feb 1 2011, 11:04 PM

2 posts

Tonight hubby recalled the Steak Buffet we had in Macau and wondered if such a place exists in KL. So we searched on Google and found Carnaval Brazillian Buffet (Churrascaria) in Damansara Jaya. Coincidentally we bought a GPS today, so we went trying a new place and the new gadget.
The ambience is just nice, i loved the comfy chairs. They have vegetables spread and yummy black beans beef stew and they serve steaks and barbecue hot from the oven. The meat never finishes, and I stuffed myself so much today that I dare not to eat meat for next few days. The beef rump was Australian and lamb shoulder was from New Zealand. I saw this Blog (not mine) and it explains it quite well
http://feedmelah.com/blog/tag/brazilian-buffet/
Recommended for days when you feel like you want to pig out on meat and want to go easy on budget. Then all you need is to pay RM 53+tax = RM 61 per person and eat meat till you can eat no more. Worth trying atleast once. thumbup.gif

40 Pages « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0381sec    0.62    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:10 PM