Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel MALACCA !, FOOD, Place of interest & Accomodations

views

stimix
post Oct 5 2008, 08:07 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Hehe..can't remembered oledi too long din visit pasar malam but for sure I've seen few..such as those in Puchong Perdana/ Putra Perdana, Subang Jaya & more hmm.gif
QUOTE(Putraskyline @ Oct 5 2008, 07:14 PM)
Haizz....That steamboat very tempting but all are non halal . Do you know which Pasar Mlm?
ranchu
post Oct 8 2008, 01:55 PM

22 posts

Duck Kuew Tiaw beside TES school in Tengkera.. quite good!! laugh.gif

anyone tried fish ball noodle soup ('he kiau mee') that is nice? location and wherabouts? mind to share?
Hassan's mee goreng oso nice.. tat was long time ago.. now??

This post has been edited by ranchu: Oct 8 2008, 02:01 PM
stimix
post Oct 8 2008, 04:08 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

There was once a very nice he kiau mee located in front of Ramada hotel (Now Renaissance) however closed down years ago properly due to Ali Rustam Clean Melaka campaign hmm.gif

Recently, I noticed 1 stall advertising Ramada He Jiau mee inside Newton Food Garden GPS: N2 11.406 E102 14.858 (In front of the new Taming Sari Tower) & he advertised themselve as the Ramada He Kiau mee...but I can tell u, the taste totally out from the Olden day Ramada He Kiau mee I last tasted about 18 years ago.. blush.gif

They is another of my childhood He Kiau mee previously located in front of St Peter Church & now moved to nearby Ping Ming primary school at Jln Pengkalan Rama (I think now Jln Tun Sri Lanang - GPS N2 12.359 E102 15.194)....I revisited this He Kiau mee in early 2000 & mind u the quality dropped as well. Probably too much of Penang Fish ball mee in Klang Valley which is much better taste than those in Melaka hmm.gif

Few years bck, I was recommneded to a newer & famous Yong Peng He Kiau mee located at Melaka Raya at N2 11.199 E102 15.466 . Tasted it last year & much better than the last 2. But I still find nothing close to Penang style Saito fish ball keuh teow Thng either in Klang Valley/Penang... blush.gif

In Melaka, the only food I really like are:

1) Satay Celup (Although some find it dirty) - The best..it's 1/2 the price of Lok-lok in KL!
2) Wantan Mee located at Jln Nunga Raya & another 2 at Lrg Bkt Cina (These wantan mee is without dark soya saurce but wth minced meat & lotsa chilli..something like Sarawak Konlok. nice)
3) Chun Wah Hainanese Chicken rice ball...The rice & the chilli is still the best in M'sia but the chicken although is good but I dun really like Steam chicken blush.gif )
4) Fried oyster - The Bunga Raya sidelane Fried qster & the one located at Jonker Street Pasar Malam.

Other than above, the food in Melaka is so-so only compare wth those in Klang Valley & Penang sad.gif

Other than Food (Abit OT) do check out latest current & upcoming attraction in Melaka:

1) Taming Sari Tower (110m high to rival KL Tower & Alor Setar tower....The best part is this tower is circulating & allow viewer a 360 view of whole Melaka & abit of Pulau Rupat Sumetera (I think I saw the coastline blush.gif ) Price RM10 adult child RM5 (For MyKard only. Others double)

2) Midleburg Fort Located at the supposely old location of Menara Taming Sari (Near the clock tower)....Almost completed during my Raya trip)

3) Melaka River make-over....boy the river really transformed from a dark waterway into greenish clear river much cleaner than Sg Klang! weldone to the govt of Melaka... thumbup.gif

[quote=ranchu,Oct 8 2008, 01:55 PM]
anyone tried fish ball noodle soup ('he kiau mee') that is nice? location and wherabouts? mind to share?

[/quote

This post has been edited by stimix: Oct 8 2008, 04:30 PM
capiche
post Oct 8 2008, 04:57 PM

Casual
380 posts

hi there.. i'm a malaccan myself.. for the best hee kiau mee, personally i would recommend u a shop near the triangle road of malacca (normally malaccan call it in cantonese, sah kar lor).. actually there got 2 shops, one is beside the locksmith... go the other one beside it...

hope u have a wonderful trip in malacca!

This post has been edited by capiche: Oct 8 2008, 05:08 PM
ranchu
post Oct 8 2008, 05:15 PM

22 posts

woah stimix,

that's a very long long list.. hehe.. haven tried b4 colorless wan tan mee in Melaka, Must try one of these days after ur comments.. oni tried in KL which is also known as Hakka Mee (colorless wan tan mee) but taste not so good if compare to wan tan mee.. Jln Nunga Raya??.. not really familiar wif the road.. haha, guess i need to do more xploration in Melaka.. Luv the satay celup in Melaka esp. the Ban Lee Seng.. forgot wat's the road name.. too many roads to remember.. tongue.gif and the Mdm. King's Popiah.. big n famous popiah wif 'jiu you cha'.. but quite expensive tho.. RM2.70 per piece.. eventho it's quite big but i still think it's over-price yet long2 q everytime i go there.. one thing bad about this popiah seller.. they dun give u q number n if there r ppl that potong ur q.. they oso will not bother.. i recalled.. i waited for 40 minutes juz for 3 pieces of popiah.. shocking.gif , now seldom go there d..

Hi capiche,

i've tried the famous 'he kiau mee', it's oso known last time as 'under big tree stall' but i recall the quality drop alot if compare to the last time one.. it's oso located at somewhere near to the Hassan's mee goreng place there.. opposite a badminton hall.. is this the one tat u r talking about?

chuakz
post Oct 8 2008, 06:23 PM

Regular
1,192 posts

QUOTE(ranchu @ Oct 8 2008, 05:15 PM)
woah stimix,

that's a very long long list.. hehe..  haven tried b4 colorless wan tan mee in Melaka, Must try one of these days after ur comments.. oni tried in KL which is also known as Hakka Mee (colorless wan tan mee) but taste not so good if compare to wan tan mee..  Jln Nunga Raya??.. not really familiar wif the road.. haha, guess i need to do more xploration in Melaka.. Luv the satay celup in Melaka esp. the Ban Lee Seng.. forgot wat's the road name.. too many roads to remember..  tongue.gif and the Mdm. King's Popiah.. big n famous popiah wif  'jiu you cha'.. but quite expensive tho.. RM2.70 per piece.. eventho it's quite big but i still think it's over-price yet long2 q everytime i go there.. one thing bad about this popiah seller.. they dun give u q number n if there r ppl that potong ur q.. they oso will not bother.. i recalled.. i waited for 40 minutes juz for 3 pieces of popiah..  shocking.gif , now seldom go there d.. 

Hi capiche,

i've tried the famous 'he kiau mee', it's oso known last time as 'under big tree stall' but i recall the quality drop alot if compare to the last time one.. it's oso located at somewhere near to the Hassan's mee goreng place there.. opposite a badminton hall.. is this the one tat u r talking about?
hee kiau mee opp badminton courts at tengkera is the ramada 1.....well used to be...that place is now accupied by handsome restaurant....try their salty egg crab...its really good...anybody know where to get good italian food in melaka?
stimix
post Oct 8 2008, 07:51 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Wow..tnx for the tips..now I know where's the he kiau mee located...OK reserved for my nxt Balik Kampung..this mean the one inside Newton Food court (Sumore wth KL pricing) is fake-lah hmm.gif

@Ranchu....not Jln Nunga Raya..it's jln Bunga Raya...typo blush.gif ..The wantan mee & the famous Fried Qyster is side by side & not far away from Mdm King Popiah.....Hehe..not to dissapoint you but the best Popiah I hv tasted is not in Melaka but in Taiping.. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(chuakz @ Oct 8 2008, 06:23 PM)
hee kiau mee opp badminton courts at tengkera is the ramada 1.....well used to be...that place is now accupied by handsome restaurant....try their salty egg crab...its really good...anybody know where to get good italian food in melaka?
ranchu
post Oct 9 2008, 09:35 AM

22 posts

Hi Chuakz,

good italian food in malacca.. not so sure.. if western food, mayb can try sampan lo.. i've not being there b4, but heard good comments from my friends.. ^^

Stimix,

good popiah in Taiping?? which part of Taiping?? wat's the price range like? i m crazy of popiah tho.. mind to share.? mind you, i am a perakian too.. hehe.. mayb can drop by there sometimes.. hehe..
stimix
post Oct 9 2008, 10:05 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

It will be abit OT if discuss Taiping food in Melaka food thread biggrin.gif ..It's a well known fact on the Popiah in Taiping..if not, there will not be so many copycat in KL hawker ctr faking "Taiping Popiah" biggrin.gif Anyway if u'r interested, the location is at N4 51.033 E100 44.510 (GPS) Name of the restaurant/hawker ctr is Kedai Air Kacang (Famous for the best Soya bean milk in Taiping too thumbup.gif ..But for me lotsa of better soya bean in KL)

QUOTE(ranchu @ Oct 9 2008, 09:35 AM)

Stimix,

good popiah in Taiping?? which part of Taiping?? wat's the price range like? i m crazy of popiah tho..  mind to share.? mind you, i am a perakian too.. hehe.. mayb can drop by there sometimes.. hehe..
capiche
post Oct 9 2008, 11:18 AM

Casual
380 posts

@stimix, no no.. is not the hee kiao mee near tengkera... the tengkera at malacca.. we call it "chou ti mian" means drawer mee... haha.. cause the tauke always keep the mee inside drawer.. they got put MSG on table 1.. u can put as much as u like... brows.gif the one u ate at newton, they got sell porridge and rice 1 right?

the only thing famous with the madam king popiah is the lard and mengkuang.. the best time to buy the popiah is when he is closing stall.. cause he'll give offer 1.. wrap a lot mengkuang and vege for u.. haha.. his brother selling at the new newton is even more expensive owh!

malim oso got some food shop not bad... prawn mee opposite the shell station.. and hakka lei cha rice, this one is slightly difficult to find.. hehe

This post has been edited by capiche: Oct 9 2008, 11:23 AM
stimix
post Oct 9 2008, 11:46 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Huh...Now really confusing.. rclxub.gif ..So the ex-ramada he kiau mee is not at Tengkera opp badminton hall...then where rclxub.gif biggrin.gif Dun tell me is the one inside Newton?..Can't remember whether the one inside newton selling rice as well but for sure is the 1st stall as u enter the FC from Taming Sari Tower...just beside the new Fried Qyster stall.

Yes Malim Jaya which was a sleepy residential township in late 80'..now abit lively oledi...There is one nice & super cheap chicken rice at the foodcourt here: N2 14.357 E102 14.015...Ehh still RM2:50 hmm.gif

QUOTE(capiche @ Oct 9 2008, 11:18 AM)
@stimix, no no.. is not the hee kiao mee near tengkera... the tengkera at malacca.. we call it "chou ti mian" means drawer mee... haha.. cause the tauke always keep the mee inside drawer.. they got put MSG on table 1.. u can put as much as u like... brows.gif the one u ate at newton, they got sell porridge and rice 1 right?

malim oso got some food shop not bad... prawn mee opposite the shell station.. and hakka lei cha rice, this one is slightly difficult to find.. hehe
ranchu
post Oct 9 2008, 12:51 PM

22 posts

that is weird.. i have never heard ppl calling it 'chou tie mee' instead of 'he kiau mee'.. even a 70 years old granny that has being staying there for almost 50 years called it 'he kiau mee' wo.. and previously the business there quite good one, it was handled by current owner's old folks until they pass away after that, the current owner took over the job.. the look of the mee is still the same, oni the taste is not the same as the old folks one.. but neway, i guess u can go there n check it out.. n tell us ur verdict, stimix.. hehe.. smile.gif
chuakz
post Oct 9 2008, 04:15 PM

Regular
1,192 posts

QUOTE(ranchu @ Oct 9 2008, 09:35 AM)
Hi Chuakz,

good italian food in malacca.. not so sure.. if western food, mayb can try sampan lo.. i've not being there b4, but heard good comments from my friends.. ^^

Stimix,

good popiah in Taiping?? which part of Taiping?? wat's the price range like? i m crazy of popiah tho..  mind to share.? mind you, i am a perakian too.. hehe.. mayb can drop by there sometimes.. hehe..
nah...looking for italian food....I know there's one restaurant called coconut house I think at heeren street serving italian....not interested in western.....everytime western western...

Added on October 9, 2008, 4:19 pm
QUOTE(stimix @ Oct 9 2008, 11:46 AM)
Huh...Now really confusing.. rclxub.gif ..So the ex-ramada he kiau mee is not at Tengkera opp badminton hall...then where  rclxub.gif  biggrin.gif Dun tell me is the one inside Newton?..Can't remember whether the one inside newton selling rice as well but for sure is the 1st stall as u enter the FC from Taming Sari Tower...just beside the new Fried Qyster stall.

Yes Malim Jaya which was a sleepy residential township in late 80'..now abit lively oledi...There is one nice & super cheap chicken rice at the foodcourt here: N2 14.357 E102 14.015...Ehh still RM2:50 hmm.gif
did you actually read my post? I said that place opposite the melaka badminton association is now occupied by handsome restaurant.....the ex-ramada he kiau mee is not there anymore......nor is it at newton....they said the rental too expensive...I used to love their fish porridge....diff style...now they are at the place I dunno what its called....pangkal lama or sumthin.....sry if I'm wrong....there's a small food court there.....they are there.....somewhere before the audi showroom....
yup the chicken rice at malim is good...they used to be at mahkota before mp renovated their food court and shifted it....used to eat it when I was young...but I just got a problem with them....they don't remove the bones of the chicken and then chop it....when they chop the bones crack and wil fall into the rice....

This post has been edited by chuakz: Oct 9 2008, 04:21 PM
Putraskyline
post Oct 9 2008, 04:38 PM

Non-Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,269 posts

QUOTE(chuakz @ Oct 9 2008, 04:15 PM)
nah...looking for italian food....I know there's one restaurant called coconut house I think at heeren street serving italian....not interested in western.....everytime western western...

Added on October 9, 2008, 4:19 pm

did you actually read my post? I said that place opposite the melaka badminton association is now occupied by handsome restaurant.....the ex-ramada he kiau mee is not there anymore......nor is it at newton....they said the rental too expensive...I used to love their fish porridge....diff style...now they are at the place I dunno what its called....pangkal lama or sumthin.....sry if I'm wrong....there's a small food court there.....they are there.....somewhere before the audi showroom....
yup the chicken rice at malim is good...they used to be at mahkota before mp renovated their food court and shifted it....used to eat it when I was young...but I just got a problem with them....they don't remove the bones of the chicken and then chop it....when they chop the bones crack and wil fall into the rice....
Its Pengkalan Rama
zipandbutton
post Oct 14 2008, 09:34 AM

2 posts

What time does Capital Celup and those stalls in Portugis Settlement open?
stimix
post Oct 14 2008, 10:07 AM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

Normally Evening-lah around 6pm

QUOTE(zipandbutton @ Oct 14 2008, 09:34 AM)
What time does Capital Celup and those stalls in Portugis Settlement open?
l_h_mak
post Oct 16 2008, 03:16 AM

14 posts

Nadeje( mlk raya) - Original Layer cake

Wok n Pan ( mlk raya ) - Pork Chop

Behind Old cinema( around bunga raya ) - Porridge, Fried prawn Wanton

Cas
post Oct 16 2008, 01:17 PM

Getting Started
262 posts

I just blogged about my foodie trip to malacca.

I highly recommend Cottage Spice near Dataran Pahlawan for delicious Nyonya food and Joan's for Portoguese food at the Portguese Settlement.
whirlwind
post Oct 16 2008, 11:33 PM

http://purplemonkey.com.my/
3,600 posts

Food Hunting in Melaka? WOOOHOOO

Let me add more!!!!!!

Asam Pedas - Just beside the Pasar Borong in Taman Merdeka
Famouse Crab Dishes - Lu Yeh Yen Restaurant beside Renaissance Hotel
Chinese Dishes - Bei Zhan Restaurant the other end of Melaka Raya
Duck Mee - Beside LTP Restaurant along Jalan Mata Kuching
Yee Kiao Mee/Wantan Mee - Opposite LTP Restaurant along Jalan Mata Kuching
Western/Japanese/Local Food - Amigo Restaurant at Melaka Raya
"Delicious si ham" - The side alley beside Madam King along Jalan Bunga Raya
Porridge - Beside Big Bike Pub somewhere located in the middle of Melaka Raya
estara
post Oct 24 2008, 07:55 PM

On my way
597 posts

Hey I'd like to bump this up. I'm bringing a foreign friend to Malacca and I haven't been there for years. I read all 3 pages here but problem is my friend's a vegetarian though not a strict one(meaning, as long as no meat). So what can he eat if I bring him there??? LOL. I can only think of cendol...is there vegetarian popiah? Maybe can ask them to take out the shrimps and cuttlefish bits? What about Peranakan food? Anything else? Haha it's pathetic, I know. And can anyone tell me where is the best place(s) to have cendol, ais kacang, popiah and peranakan food?

And another question, what are the interesting things to see and visit in Melaka? Like I said, I haven't been there for ages...a good few suggestions would be great.

103 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0263sec    0.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:35 PM