Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Streamyx TMNET Streamyx blocking outbound port 25, Can't send out email from email clients

views

TSmytescocom
post Mar 28 2008, 07:41 PM, updated 16y ago

Getting Started
72 posts

Hi All,

For those streamyx users, are you aware that Streamyx is blocking outbound port 25?

http://www.streamyx.com.my/whats_new/whats...rticle_20080311

What this means is that if you are using any email clients - Outlook, ThunderBird to send emails out from Streamyx, you will be blocked.

This is extremely inconvenient for ppl working from home.

Please give your thoughts on this..

thanks.
cornelius_young
post Mar 28 2008, 07:55 PM

Casual
369 posts

Aya, Old story already. I already read this news on December 2007.
This thing is cause by who?
All Spamers that using TMNet's Internet service also.
So, I still think its not releven to fight spam. There are still lots of spam from TM's network especially People who try to promote their Work-At-Home business.

Sorry if this sounds rude but its really through.
TSmytescocom
post Mar 28 2008, 08:05 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

I know..it's old story.

I called up their CS in December, and they said they hav not implemented it.

Today, i have problems sending out email from outlook express, then i checked their website and found their latest announcement.

I know Spammers use TMNET to spam, but does that give TMNET the right to penalize everyone?

If next time, some one does a new technology "HTTP" hijacking, does that mean TMNET block port 80 for everyone and force all their suscribers to use their proxy?

There's a lot of antispam technology that can help TMNET fight their spam issue. They just need to find the right solution and not take the easy way by blocking outbound port25.

There will be a lot of SOHO ppl working from home that will be affected by this.
cornelius_young
post Mar 28 2008, 08:16 PM

Casual
369 posts

I do agree with you. Thats why I say Their ideas of blocking port is not relevant
They should give their AntiSpam free to us. If Free Mail such as Yahoo and Google can give their AntiSpam service for free, why can't TMNet.
What do you think?
TSmytescocom
post Mar 28 2008, 10:54 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

Actually the Spam issue is more serious than one would normally perceive.

Even if TMnet gives us free AntiSpam software, the SPAM issue will still be there. TMNET's dynamic ip address would still be blacklisted by many AntiSpam solution in the market today.
AntiSpam solution works by a few ways- examining the email contents, DNS checkup and also compares the email's ip address.

So when TMnet user A with ip address ie 65.54.100.1, sents a lot of spam. AntiSpam solutions out there will soon blacklist this ip address. So when, a new TMnet user B gets this unlucky ip address 65.54.100.1, whenever he tried to sent emails (even valid emails), AntiSpam solution will detect it as SPAM as his ip address is already blacklisted.

http://www.blacklistedip.com/
asellus
post Mar 28 2008, 11:04 PM

#gompusas
Group Icon
Elite
4,541 posts

If you are just using e-mail client like Thunderbird/Eudora this will not affect you. Do you run a SMTP server?
rajulkabir
post Mar 28 2008, 11:43 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

This is a good policy from TM. Far too much spam comes from p0wned Windows PCs on ADSL lines.

People who are having problems can deliver their email via port 587 or use TM's SMTP servers.
husagi
post Mar 31 2008, 11:19 AM

On my way
524 posts

Yes, good policy. But someone left his/her brains at home or in the trash.

Their announcement states that "Streamyx customers with dynamic IP addresses, who have their own mail server will not be able to send out-going e-mails", but engineer's implemention was "block everything with source AND destination port =25, unless IP address resolves to smtp.streamyx.com / smtp.tm.net.my". Ceh. Seems to me, their policy makers did not clearly define "outbound SMTP" -- whether that means only traffic whose source port =25, or, traffic whose source OR destination port =25. The annoucement should've been more precise.

lionheart23
post Mar 31 2008, 03:09 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

tmnut always nut, no brain at all.....................
rajulkabir
post Mar 31 2008, 06:02 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(husagi @ Mar 31 2008, 11:19 AM)

Their announcement states that "Streamyx customers with dynamic IP addresses, who have their own mail server will not be able to send out-going e-mails", but engineer's implemention was "block everything with source AND destination port =25, unless IP address resolves to smtp.streamyx.com / smtp.tm.net.my". Ceh. Seems to me, their policy makers did not clearly define "outbound SMTP" -- whether that means only traffic whose source port =25, or, traffic whose source OR destination port =25. The annoucement should've been more precise.
Yes, if they are blocking port 25 inbound (connections from the internet to a Streamyx subscriber), or blocking based on source port=25, that is useless and stupid.
knightmare
post Apr 2 2008, 11:35 PM

10 posts

i've read in the forum guiding to solve this matter

go to your account settings....and change your email settings. change your smtpserver to smtp-proxy.tm.net.my and uncheck the 'my outgoing server requires authentication'. leave other settings remain at it is. and it will send your email out
eclectice
post Apr 3 2008, 01:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

QUOTE(husagi @ Mar 31 2008, 11:19 AM)

To date, I can still send out-going emails from my home email server at port 25 (default SMTP) and receive new in-coming emails to my home email server at port 110 (default POP3) by using dynamic IP address. And, I register my dynamic IP address with a dynamic domain name. So, I don't have to refer to my current dynamic IP address in my email client settings. I am using Streamyx account and I don't abuse it. The important thing is to check the port forwarding of your router to make sure it allows port 25 and port 110. And, your email server should be able to deny open relays to port 25.

This post has been edited by eclectice: Apr 3 2008, 01:29 AM
abubin
post Apr 7 2008, 04:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(knightmare @ Apr 2 2008, 11:35 PM)
i've read in the forum guiding to solve this matter

go to your account settings....and change your email settings. change your smtpserver to smtp-proxy.tm.net.my and uncheck the 'my outgoing server requires authentication'. leave other settings remain at it is. and it will send your email out
It only solve partial problems. For system admins like me, we need to test email servers directly. We can't have any ports blocked because tmnet engineers are too lazy to use proper way to solve problems.
ozs
post Apr 7 2008, 04:54 PM

Casual
357 posts

i think you still can use the email client.
blocking outbound 25..
that doesnt mean you cant connect to your mail server out there..
you're connecting to port 25 not from 25..
traffic to port 25 still widely open for me here..

their main purpose is to avoid any user to use their own email server for sending out spam..

This post has been edited by ozs: Apr 7 2008, 05:00 PM
abubin
post Apr 7 2008, 05:03 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

I can't connect to email server located in US through SMTP.

I am trying to send email through my server in US by connected to it via SMTP (port 25).

I think this does get blocked as it is "outbound" mail through SMTP. Cause I have no problems using Maxis broadband doing same thing.
ozs
post Apr 7 2008, 05:08 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Apr 7 2008, 05:03 PM)
I can't connect to email server located in US through SMTP.

I am trying to send email through my server in US by connected to it via SMTP (port 25).

I think this does get blocked as it is "outbound" mail through SMTP. Cause I have no problems using Maxis broadband doing same thing.
have u tried it with other server?..
gmail maybe.. really weird.. i can connect to my company server, gmail, and my own hosting in us too..
if they really block outbound to 25 a lot of businessman will make noise already...
and i dont think they can bare that..
abubin
post Apr 7 2008, 05:09 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(ozs @ Apr 7 2008, 04:54 PM)
i think you still can use the email client.
blocking outbound 25..
that doesnt mean you cant connect to your mail server out there..
you're connecting to port 25 not from 25..
traffic to port 25 still widely open for me here..

their main purpose is to avoid any user to use their own email server for sending out spam..
What is your IP? As stated in tmnet's statement, this will be done in stages. Probably your IP range is still no implemented yet.

Also, this only affects dynamic IPs. Those using corporate package will have fixed IP and that will not be blocked.

This post has been edited by abubin: Apr 7 2008, 05:10 PM
ozs
post Apr 7 2008, 05:10 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Apr 7 2008, 05:09 PM)
What is your IP? As stated in tmnet's statement, this will be done in stages. Probably your IP range is still no implemented yet.
60.52.xxx.xxx

and yes i cant host my own email server...
inbound/outbound totally blocked..

This post has been edited by ozs: Apr 7 2008, 05:11 PM
abubin
post Apr 7 2008, 05:15 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

They are trying to block spammer. Usually, spammers sent out emails by just sending an email directly out through port 25. Don't really need to have email server.

I am going to call tmnet to complain tonight. I just hope the support doesn't piss me off to dead with their stupid questions.

This post has been edited by abubin: Apr 7 2008, 05:17 PM
ozs
post Apr 7 2008, 05:24 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Apr 7 2008, 05:15 PM)
They are trying to block spammer. Usually, spammers sent out emails by just sending an email directly out through port 25. Don't really need to have email server.

I am going to call tmnet to complain tonight. I just hope the support doesn't piss me off to dead with their stupid questions.
yup but normally all mail server does require authentication for SMTP..
even so if you're admin you will actually doing this if your mail server is publicly accessible..
so one cant simply doing that..

diff case if you got your own email server..

go ahead make noise.. because if they really doing this...
dunno what to say.. it doesnt make sense..

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:32 PM