Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Dangers of Credit Card., I was nearly conned........

views

bsmohd
post Jun 13 2007, 02:21 PM

Getting Started
290 posts

i juz wan to share my experience on this telemarketeers tactics.

Once they called me and straight away ask why i didn't collect my 'prize' at their recent roadshow in bukit jalil! i was like 'what?'.. then they said that i've entered myself on some kind of lucky draw and i've won, i was totally blur since i don even remember entering any lucky draw which requires me to collect the prize (if i've won) at bukit jalil.

so the next thing was they asked me to go to their office somewhere in shah alam. They gave me the address and a reference number and the person whom i suppose to collect my prize from.

When i asked how did i entered this competition, they said that it's automatic since i'm an active user of my credit card. Then when i said i do not own any credit card, then they TWIST the story to bonuslink card!!

After i hanged-up the phone, i figured that this is juz another scam where, if i go to that place, they'll ask me to buy something or to scratch any card and will ask me to pay something in order to redeem the prize.

I didn't go eventually and that person didn't call anymore.

----------------------------------

another experience being called by telemarketeers.

Call and offered a discount card, mentioned has many benefits, but juz tell me 3 of it and straight away ask for my credit card number. When i asked for the other benefits, he said he'll pass me all the information once i register, meaning that after i give him my details and credit card number. When i said i'm not interested, he raised his voice and start to force me to register. I put down the phone...
bluffy83
post Jun 13 2007, 02:22 PM

Casual
481 posts

QUOTE(phat_newbie @ Jun 13 2007, 10:38 AM)
I just want to share the incident that happened to me yesterday. I received a call from a woman by the name Lisa claiming she is calling on behalf of Bank Negara. She introduced herself formally and explained to me that Bank Negara is concerned for credit card users in Malaysia who overspend their limit and put themselves too deep in debt. So, Bank Negara is introducing this new "MBF Countdown Backup" card for all owners of credit cards all around Malaysia and will soon be a compulsory thing. The card, according to Lisa, will be swiped everytime a transaction is performed using your credit card and this will enable Bank Negara to monitor our spending. And in return, we will get discounts ranging from 5% to 40% for different merchants.

Then, this is where my stupidity sets in. Because she spoke to me in Bahasa Malaysia and the background noise implicates that it is a bank working environment, and above all this, she was able to readout to me my 16-digit credit card numbers and particulars and even my outstanding balance with the credit card, it convinced me that this could be a new system implemented by Bank Negara. So, when she asked for my 3-digit approval code written behind the credit card, I "STUPIDLY" gave it to her.

Then after all this was charade was over, Lisa informed me that a charge of RM480 will be charged to my credit card as a starters fee to waive off the annual fee. This woke me up!! So, I questioned Lisa on why do I need to pay for something that Bank Negara wants to implement to help the people of Malaysia (not a very noble cause). Then she explained to me that they are from a company calling on behalf of Bank Negara. And she said all the banks are well aware of this system. She then passed me over to her manager, Mr. Zakri or Mr. Z (similar to the MIB) or something. This gentleman then tries to assure me that this is not a fraud or scam.

Then after his long-winded speech about the benefits of their card (no longer Bank Negara's), I told him to hold the approval of the card as I don't need it. I told him that I will call my bank to verify this card and get back to him. He agreed to my suggestion and even gave me 2 of his contact numbers for me to get back to him (03-40422522 and 03-40424288). So, when I called both my credit card banks regarding this matter both banks told me that there was no such thing. Immediately I told that I might have fell for a fraud telephony case and wanted to cancel and suspend all my credit cards. The banks suspended my cards and agreed to send me a replacement card. Then when I called back Mr. Z at the number he gave me, a different lady attended to me and passed me on to a chinese lady who spoke in mandarin to me in a very heavy China accent. I told them that I have called my cc banks and cancelled my cards and specifically told her that I do not agree to their terms and I don't want their offer. She explained to me and assured me that they will delete my cc details and not charge me for anything. So, all this happened yesterday.

Being paranoid, I called my banks again this morning to double check if any transactions had gone through yesterday after I cancelled my card. And guess what. Those m#^*!#fkers actually did try to charge me but the banks did not let the transactions go through. I consider myself lucky coz I acted a step ahead of them.

Lesson from all of this, never ever entertain telephony offers that involve credit cards. 2 of my colleagues fell for these scams before and 1 of them was lucky enough to have the bank recognise it as a fraud case while the other 1 lost RM3000. So, SCREW ALL TELEPHONY MARKETING STRATEGISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i totally agree with this. u are stupid.. what can i say.. thumbup.gif

post Jun 13 2007, 02:25 PM

Casual
391 posts

nowadays receive many similar this call. for sure i ask them back, do i have credit card?
they start confuse edi then say sorry bla.. bla..

totally is a SCAM.
Drian
post Jun 13 2007, 02:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

If I were you I would have reported to the police for fraud and scam. You have thier numbers and can easily be traced. And any transaction can be traced (credit card),it shouldn't be too hard to nail them.

williamlee_1985
post Jun 13 2007, 02:26 PM

The Red Devils wear Nike
2,004 posts

have some sympathy for the guy la..

at least he is willing to share with us what happened to him so we won't be conned.
@lice~~
post Jun 13 2007, 03:01 PM

On my way
565 posts

Hi TS,

Thx for sharing.. thumbup.gif

TSphat_newbie
post Jun 13 2007, 03:13 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

QUOTE(@lice~~ @ Jun 13 2007, 03:01 PM)
Hi TS,

Thx for sharing..  thumbup.gif
Thank you for making me feel appreciated, @lice~~ and williamlee_1985.

Makes me wonder why the flamers exist. To all the other forumers out there, if you have nothing nice to say, STFU!!!!!!!!! vmad.gif
@lice~~
post Jun 13 2007, 05:15 PM

On my way
565 posts

QUOTE(phat_newbie @ Jun 13 2007, 03:13 PM)

Makes me wonder why the flamers exist. To all the other forumers out there, if you have nothing nice to say, STFU!!!!!!!!!  vmad.gif
No need to bother abt them.. one day they kena they wil know..

Myself oso nearly kena conned by those "hong kong company" but speak in Mandarin.. but they juz ask for my bank account no n ask me to bank in some amount of money to them b4 i can gain my prize.. cool.gif

TSphat_newbie
post Jun 13 2007, 05:37 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

QUOTE(@lice~~ @ Jun 13 2007, 05:15 PM)
No need to bother abt them.. one day they kena they wil know..

Myself oso nearly kena conned by those "hong kong company" but speak in Mandarin.. but they juz ask for my bank account no n ask me to bank in some amount of money to them b4 i can gain my prize..  cool.gif
Yeah, hopefully more people will realize that these scams can get to you sometimes even if you are aware of such scams and fraud cases. But I pity those people who got suckered into by these scams (I nearly became one myself). biggrin.gif
ceo684
post Jun 13 2007, 05:45 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(ChrisGirl @ Jun 13 2007, 01:35 PM)
hmmm recently i received 2 calls in two different hp number from a chinese lady with heavy mandrin accent... i think i dun understand her well and thus nothing is communicated... where all this ppl get out numbers and more importantly credit card details... i tot we as cc holders do have some sort of confidentiality assurance from the bank???
Anyone who is a merchant has a good chance of getting ur cc number. For some shops i notice merchant copy that u sign on has the full 16 digits uncensored, whereas customer copy is 12 censored, 4 last digits uncensored.

This post has been edited by ceo684: Jun 13 2007, 05:45 PM
chloelew
post Jun 13 2007, 05:54 PM

Mr.Dependable
677 posts

i also kena few times b4 ade lo.... speak to me in mandarin... im being a banana dint understand wut they saying.... told them to speak in english... they hesitated and say thank you, sorry for disturbing and put down the phone.

privacy in malaysia is no longer private. everything has a value. as long as u meet that value, anything can be given or sold. P&C information is some sort of a product now....

any y is so many ppl falling victim to scams? one word... not stupidity.... its simply GREED.

This post has been edited by chloelew: Jun 13 2007, 05:56 PM
SuIssiSsimus
post Jun 13 2007, 06:01 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(leekk8 @ Jun 13 2007, 12:07 PM)
Just keep in mind, never disclose your 3digit code to other people. If the call is from the bank, they will know the 3digit code and won't ask you to tell. For verification, they only will ask, what's your mother name, what's your IC, what's your hp number, etc...
i will be easily cheat by these guys.. so convincing! cry.gif cry.gif
!
chloelew
post Jun 13 2007, 06:10 PM

Mr.Dependable
677 posts

anyone call asking for cc details and bank details just say not interested and put down the phone but sometimes its hard to judge....just got to be quick thinking bout this things....

old ppl esp mothers.... becareful if u ever go wet market (pasar) buy things.... if meet those china or foreign lady just becareful.... my grandma's fren kena...cheras area... buy vege then 2 china lady came up to her... pat her in the back then ask her weather she got money or not..... like hypnotise ade.... bring them back to the house gave them the bank acc book. RM10k from acc gone that same day.... dangerous this pukau stuff....
bryanyeo87
post Jun 13 2007, 09:05 PM

Below the Belt
3,175 posts

TS, lucky you didnt fall for it. actually u can go report police if im nt wrong..

This post has been edited by bryanyeo87: Jun 13 2007, 09:05 PM
TSphat_newbie
post Jun 13 2007, 09:20 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

QUOTE(bryanyeo87 @ Jun 13 2007, 09:05 PM)
TS, lucky you didnt fall for it. actually u can go report police if im nt wrong..
Yeah, my gf is pestering me to do so. But I'm quite lazy to go and give my testimonial to the police and wait for them to go through the necessary procedures. Don't even know whether will they investigate my case or not or just take my report just for the sake of taking my report.
bryanyeo87
post Jun 13 2007, 09:50 PM

Below the Belt
3,175 posts

10 minutes only mar...then can see the posters warning of this scam near the atm machines like the akedemi fantasia thing lolz
skiddtrader
post Jun 13 2007, 10:08 PM

Suspicious
3,037 posts

QUOTE(phat_newbie @ Jun 13 2007, 09:20 PM)
Yeah, my gf is pestering me to do so. But I'm quite lazy to go and give my testimonial to the police and wait for them to go through the necessary procedures. Don't even know whether will they investigate my case or not or just take my report just for the sake of taking my report.
Actually after reporting your case to the police, if they deem justified for a report, will count more of a statistic of what happened, since no actual crime was committed. If the statistics do not rise, they will not act upon it with urgency, but if it gets publicity in the papers and if a "Datuk" also got cheated, then maybe it will speed up their action. So don't expect any action just because you reported it, because it will need several more reports to actually stir interest or increase its priority. Thats my view about reporting about an 'almost crime'.
Gaia
post Jun 13 2007, 10:35 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(phat_newbie @ Jun 13 2007, 03:13 PM)

Makes me wonder why the flamers exist. To all the other forumers out there, if you have nothing nice to say, STFU!!!!!!!!!  vmad.gif
TS i salute you! unlike some others who dont appreciate and only know how to flame people for sharing their experience..

I've received such called in the past too, especially when they called and straight away know your name.. But my case was slightly different i believed, the caller straight away called out a muslim guy name and my reaction is like "huh" i think you've called the wrong number because i am a chinese.. and the caller just puzzle and question me shakehead.gif moreover it lead to a new clue,till now i still wondering why that smart alex(muslim guy) impost by using my mobile number to fill up his particular hmm.gif

vin_ann
post Jun 14 2007, 12:16 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,912 posts

lucky bro....

i got once get 1 call.... when im 1st say helo, she asked me do u know to speak Mandarin?

know lah... then i immediately cut the line... story finished...

disturbing me working only nia
SUSDavid83
post Jun 14 2007, 12:18 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

QUOTE(vin_ann @ Jun 14 2007, 12:16 AM)
lucky bro....

i got once get 1 call.... when im 1st say helo, she asked me  do u know to speak Mandarin?

know lah... then i immediately cut the line... story finished...

disturbing me working only nia
I also received a disturbing call while working. God! It's a survey from a learning centre. Damn!

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0230sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:42 PM