Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Headphones/Earphones Recomendation Corner V2

views

TSyrh0413
post May 24 2007, 10:59 AM, updated 17y ago

10k Club
All Stars
12,212 posts

smile.gif This thread serves as a Q&A section for all new/existing audiophiles seeking advice on their new headphone purchase. The rules are simple, no flaming/bashing and try to not to spam (posting irrelevant post).

You may ask us any headphones/earphones related questions, and all of us in headphilers in this forum will gladly assist you. Don't be shy! wink.gif

Best of luck on your headphones/earphones purchase. smile.gif

(added by wK) This is a sequel of the topic previously located at http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/185976

This post has been edited by wKkaY: May 28 2007, 07:07 PM
xterminator
post May 24 2007, 11:36 AM

=What a small box in here=
793 posts

What type of headphone amp most of u using? Any suggestion? biggrin.gif
walabies
post May 24 2007, 01:25 PM

Jaben Network.. A headphones store with teddy bears...
6,933 posts

The LD series is famous here. I dont use any amp for my home rig.
xterminator
post May 24 2007, 02:50 PM

=What a small box in here=
793 posts

Gt more option or nt? Beside the Ld series, recomend for a headset amp nt more than 500..Tq
LittleGhost
post May 24 2007, 04:10 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

PIMETA from Alamaklor if you like solidstates + portable/transportability.

walabies
post May 24 2007, 05:41 PM

6,933 posts

QUOTE(LittleGhost @ May 24 2007, 04:10 PM)
PIMETA from Alamaklor if you like solidstates + portable/transportability.
Isnt that over 500 with shipping cost?

Added on May 24, 2007, 5:41 pm
QUOTE(yrh0413 @ May 24 2007, 10:59 AM)
smile.gif This thread serves as a Q&A section for all new/existing audiophiles seeking advice on their new headphone purchase. The rules are simple, no flaming/bashing and try to not to spam (posting irrelevant post).

You may ask us any headphones/earphones related questions, and all of us in headphilers in this forum will gladly assist you. Don't be shy! wink.gif

Best of luck on your headphones/earphones purchase. smile.gif
You are the one who sp@m the most le. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by walabies: May 24 2007, 05:41 PM
LittleGhost
post May 24 2007, 06:02 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

QUOTE(walabies @ May 24 2007, 05:41 PM)
Isnt that over 500 with shipping cost?

Added on May 24, 2007, 5:41 pm

You are the one who sp@m the most le.  laugh.gif
nope, depends on your configuration too.

dinodog_Jr
post May 24 2007, 06:31 PM

I am not a dog
3,813 posts

i say go for Davis's bulk- Canada PA2V2. RM222~!

mini headamp +2xAA batt impressive batt life~ much warmer sound.

No batt replacement fussy in future like Ipod.

And Crossroad headamp which around price wif LDM+. Heard is pretty good budget type.
naruto_kun
post May 24 2007, 06:44 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

anyone here tried the ibasso t1? It looks very nice, but dunno how good it sounds though..

iBasso T1
LittleGhost
post May 24 2007, 10:50 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

QUOTE(dinodog_Jr @ May 24 2007, 06:31 PM)
i say go for Davis's bulk- Canada PA2V2. RM222~!

mini headamp +2xAA batt impressive batt life~ much warmer sound.

No batt replacement fussy in future like Ipod.

And  Crossroad headamp which around price wif LDM+. Heard is pretty good budget type.
i strongly disagree.

For the same price, you can get a much better sound quality at a MUCH cheaper price smile.gif

For example, a Cmoy with tomahawk like configuration beats the PA2V2 both on sound quality and battery life.

themagnificentman
post May 24 2007, 11:58 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

KilJim
post May 25 2007, 12:49 AM

^-_-^ ZzzZzZzZzzz....
Group Icon
Elite
4,424 posts

I'll to get someone to build one for you
CooLeRthings
post May 25 2007, 03:47 AM

-=kidult=-
2,012 posts

QUOTE(LittleGhost @ May 24 2007, 10:50 PM)
i strongly disagree.

For the same price, you can get a much better sound quality at a MUCH cheaper price smile.gif

For example, a Cmoy with tomahawk like configuration beats the PA2V2 both on sound quality and battery life.
QUOTE(themagnificentman @ May 24 2007, 11:58 PM)
where to get that CMOY?
see the "like " word?
u just need to get some 1 that know how to build up DIY amp, base on the companent n board of tomahawk n build it, n voila, u gonna own a retail expensive amp biggrin.gif
forget the price of tomahawk, but it really way to scary for a CMOY whistling.gif

This post has been edited by CooLeRthings: May 25 2007, 03:48 AM
jyunkin
post May 25 2007, 04:35 AM

Casual
348 posts

CooLeRthings
post May 25 2007, 10:22 AM

-=kidult=-
2,012 posts

QUOTE(jyunkin @ May 25 2007, 04:35 AM)
hrmmm ...  how about a budget headphone below 100

Philips 805 or 2700 ?  where to get them as well ??
if can get 805 then get it lo, is hard to find nowadays
2700 still can get it at LYP or from davis in this forum
dinodog_Jr
post May 25 2007, 12:30 PM

I am not a dog
3,813 posts

Little Ghost,

My suggestion is the best solution to find out their searching in this forum. Not every DIY sifu likes to take CMOY order right now.

Are all the DIY CMOY goin to be at top quality standard is another question. This is highly depends on mancraftwork as well.

i am kindly providing information for User who wan the quickies. Dat's my initial motive.

I dun see ur motive which strongly disagree up der Plus i dun bashing on others model as well??!! Did i?

mADmAN
post May 25 2007, 12:45 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

actually...whats wrong with the PA2V2?

i managed to try out a unit sometime ago... and it was perfect with my A2ZS + PA2V2 + HP250. even my colleague came and said "wah! y ur headphones suddenly become so good wan?"

synergises pretty well for that combo IMHO.

ok...hows this... PA2V2 vs LDM+

considering all aspects, which would u go for and why?
walabies
post May 25 2007, 01:52 PM

6,933 posts

If the PA2v2 and LDM+ is the same league, I wont be considering getting it anymore. smile.gif
dinodog_Jr
post May 25 2007, 05:40 PM

I am not a dog
3,813 posts

Sadly both of the headamps doesn't deliver same color of sound.
For Grado or bright phone users, best to go wif Pa2v2. Unless, u are one dude enjoy highly treble sound. Then LDM+ will roar much detailing~!.

Remember the X-hyped headamp-mini-EPH. It is actually stuck in the middle of PA2V2 & LDM+. Less bright, wider soundstage & bassy than LDM+. Less bassy than PA2V2.
The detail improvement btwn PA2v2 & mini-eph is almost undetected to my ears. Both details improvement are not so obvious as LDM+. Well, placebo effects could make sense. High Treble = Detailing?!

The only DIY CMOY i listened b4 was by PCWORK. Very Bassy. A little overwhelmed especially for deep bass music. The Detail had been improved. It is pretty complicated cuz once bass is booming, the detail had been "covered" like dat. Perhaps, need a little tweak to sounds more comfort & stable.

Ok. these are from my ears. You could refer to em once u got the chance to audition any of them. Dun place my little words in front of ur eyes than the ears.

LittleGhost
post May 25 2007, 07:23 PM

臭小鬼
4,234 posts

QUOTE(dinodog_Jr @ May 25 2007, 12:30 PM)
Little Ghost,
My suggestion is the best solution to find out their searching in this forum. Not every DIY sifu likes to take CMOY order right now.
Are all the DIY CMOY goin to be at top quality standard is another question. This is highly depends on mancraftwork as well.
i am kindly providing information for User who wan the quickies. Dat's my initial motive.

I dun see ur motive which strongly disagree up der Plus i dun bashing on others model as well??!! Did i?
Hey, how is me disagreeing with your opinion makes it bashing? tongue.gif Besides, I think you got a little bit worked up on this one. Relax brother, I come in peace.

My motive is to encourage people to spend more wisely. The PA2V2 might only be worth it if you got it from the US and is seeking for product assurance, warranty only commercial companies can provide.

I've both own and heard the PA2V2 before. The sound quality is terrible. Before I heard of anything better, I used to think the PA2V2 did not have a significant boost of performance was due to the my limited knowledge that the amp should not change the sound too much. However, I was very wrong after I know it's due to the crappy parts and design used and it was no better than my DAP's internal amp. Of course, it also happened because I have heard of something else that is better.

Enough about my PA2V2 experience, here comes the solutions.

Solution A: Where there are monies, there are desperate amp builders.

If you've did more reading and researching you'll know that there are indeed more than one of DIY junkies out there that are more than willing to help you build an amp. PM and logic observation are all you need. Examples: Empire23 is offering mods for various DACs. Logically he should be able to build a simple yet good cmoy for money. There is also ijan, who built a few PIMETA lite for a few forumers before. Oh and Alamaklor has a complete dedicated bulk thread for his DIY amps. Some of them might not show his interests in building amps for money publically through dedicated threads but it's just as simple as shooting them a polite message enquiring whether they would do so for an amount of money.

Solution B: Where there are demands for commercial products, there are yeah_guyz and Wallabies. (LOL I never knew wallabies is a word.)

Both of them sell some pretty cheap commercial amps. Wallabies is selling the OPA227 based amp which is priced around RM150. I suspect it's something like a cmoy but anyway it's cheaper and is a commercial product. Other than that, yeah_guyz is selling Littledot products (hint: Little dot micro+). It's cheaper than the PA2V2 and should be considered an option. I've seen reviews preferring the LDM+ more than the PA2v2. Personally they are on par with each other.

Which brings me to my first question, how is me disagreeing with your suggestion makes it bashing? It only means there are other options worth considering.

Solution C: Adui, RM222 can also be invested on basic soldering tools and cmoy parts also mah.

This solution is not applicable for everyone. To me RM222 counts as a budget to start a simple yet cheap DIY journey. I've counted the cost before, basic soldering tools + parts costs no more than RM100. Heck it includes a Digital Multimeter too. You have an extra RM100 for another max out amp once you finish your first cmoy. Yay! You has two amps!

Again, I have to stress that this solution is not for everyone. It's a little bit time consuming, but damn worth it. Not only you learn a lot, but you finally get to fine tune sounds you really like and get really serious in this head-fi thingy.

Dinodog_jr, my apologies if you felt my initial post were offending. I did not mean it that way.

This post has been edited by LittleGhost: May 25 2007, 07:25 PM

137 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0336sec    0.56    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:09 PM