Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Will laptop hdd get serious damage if put on legs?, Feel free to share your opinions

views

TSadam_lew85
post Apr 22 2018, 11:56 AM, updated 6y ago

Enthusiast
755 posts

Hi guys, how often you guys put your laptop on your legs? I am worrying for the laptop hdd will get damaged easily if I always moving my body when the laptop is on my legs. Is it possible? Or the hdd can withstand certain amount or level of shaking?

I understood that we can change to ssd drive and it is not good to our health too if putting laptop on our legs. Feel free to share your opinion on issue above, thanks ya smile.gif
GOPI56
post Apr 22 2018, 12:18 PM

Regular
1,396 posts

Yes, it will damage the hard disk due to the movements and reduce the lifespan of the HDD.
wailam
post Apr 22 2018, 12:19 PM

Apa benda ini?
950 posts

Actually its the other way around. Its not good for the laptop if you put on your legs or rather specifically on your laps. Why do you want to put on your legs? confused.gif
If your noticed underside of lappy got some holes for the fan to suck the air to cool down CPU/GPU. You basically just cover the breathing holes with your laps thus the laptop will be hot thus the warning from the manufacturer "the laptop will overheat if the hole is closed".
And yes its not good for the HDD too if you know how HDD work differently than SSD.
TSadam_lew85
post Apr 22 2018, 12:52 PM

Enthusiast
755 posts

QUOTE(wailam @ Apr 22 2018, 12:19 PM)
Actually its the other way around. Its not good for the laptop if you put on your legs or rather specifically on your laps. Why do you want to put on your legs? :confused:
If your noticed underside of lappy got some holes for the fan to suck the air to cool down CPU/GPU. You basically just cover the breathing holes with your laps thus the laptop will be hot thus the warning from the manufacturer "the laptop will overheat if the hole is closed".
And yes its not good for the HDD too if you know how HDD work differently than SSD.
Reason put on laps coz I am always working and sitting on sofa and there is no any single table for me to put my laptop on it. It seems that I should consider to change it to ssd in future, how much normally will ssd cost? Expensive?
wailam
post Apr 24 2018, 07:10 AM

Apa benda ini?
950 posts

Currently SSD price is becoming cheaper. Around ~1GB per RM1. But depends on the manufacturer too. New gens is expensive as their speed/tech is better than old gens. Cheaper ones would be kingston. 120GB for RM140 if I remember. Check the garage sale for the current price.
TSadam_lew85
post Apr 25 2018, 10:22 AM

Enthusiast
755 posts

QUOTE(wailam @ Apr 24 2018, 07:10 AM)
Currently SSD price is becoming cheaper. Around ~1GB per RM1. But depends on the manufacturer too. New gens is expensive as their speed/tech is better than old gens. Cheaper ones would be kingston. 120GB for RM140 if I remember. Check the garage sale for the current price.
Thanks for the info, it's time to upgrade the lenovo y520 hdd to ssd then biggrin.gif
observ
post Apr 25 2018, 10:25 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

There has to be a reason why they are called laptops ...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.08    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:07 AM