Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

International Medical University, IMU @ Bukit Jalil, Seremban, & Johor

views

law_yew_wooi
post Oct 1 2010, 12:24 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

i would like to ask if imu offer any scholarships for dentistry courses? i have a friend who is facing financial problem but he is a bright student. Currently studying a levels. Any alternatives for him? i heard ptptn only give out very little loan.
law_yew_wooi
post Oct 1 2010, 01:47 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(zstan @ Oct 1 2010, 12:47 AM)
if he can afford to study a levels, he is certainly not poor enough.

study at manipal instead?  hmm.gif
Well, he is under taylor's scholarship. So, the fees kinda subsidised already. Anyway, no other choice to go IMU?? any scholarships for dentistry?
law_yew_wooi
post Oct 2 2010, 04:54 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

gosh, seems like a debate is going on here. I don't mean to trigger a debate, but u guys seem to misunderstand the purpose of my question. I m asking for whether there is anymore scholarship for dentistry to be applied by my friend. apart from that, after checking through ptptn website, they only give loan of 20k per year maximum, which i think is still not enough for my friend as he thought that ptptn would give a loan of half of his fee in imu. Well, i didn't say he is very poor, just that he is facing financial problem now. He dare not challenge his future with stpm as we all know that it is really hard to score. That is also one of the reasons why he goes taylor's. Well, paying a few thousands per semester is different when you have to pay a few tenth of thousands per semester. It's really a huge sum of money for him. I am seeking for help for him, as he really wants to go imu. If none of you can help out, then it's alright smile.gif cheers.
law_yew_wooi
post Oct 5 2010, 05:03 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

I just want to know, why people choose imu over manipal and vice versa... I m considering both this institution and I don't know if it's worth while spending so much money on imu dentistry, since I can do it so cheaply in manipal...
law_yew_wooi
post Oct 9 2010, 10:14 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

what if the dentistry course locally here in imu is not recognised by mdc??? cos i didn't see it appears in the list... what should i do?
law_yew_wooi
post Oct 15 2010, 12:15 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

I feel like going for a try in IMU for one semester. If I find that it's good for dentistry, then I might not pull out from IMU and opt for a cheaper and worth while uni like manipal. But then, can really anyone tell me which is better in dentistry, IMU or MMMC?? I really have no idea as I asked around, no one seems to answer me. I want to know the exact situation before getting into it.
law_yew_wooi
post Oct 15 2010, 03:03 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(zstan @ Oct 15 2010, 12:31 PM)
wth?

do you have too much money to spend to 'test' the course?  shocking.gif  shocking.gif  shocking.gif  shocking.gif

please define better. both had not produce their first batch of graduates yet.
Problem is, the intake for IMU is in February and MMMC is August. While waiting for MMMC, don't you think I should do something else in between? I really have no idea. I m afraid that if I go MMMC directly, I might regret for not choosing IMU in the first place. At least after trying for one sem in IMU, I know how it is like. If it is good and worth it, then I might as well continue. But if it's like what you all said, expensive, money sucker and not worth it at all, I might as well pull out and go for MMMC. I don't know if this decision is wise or not. My parents are also afraid to let me go MMMC now as India is facing the super bug issue and I have no idea how serious it is now.
law_yew_wooi
post Oct 20 2010, 03:31 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(passerby2010 @ Oct 20 2010, 05:02 AM)
Hi, I stumble upon this forum which attracts me when searching for "imu dentistry" in google. I'm juz an ordinary dental student from imu which passby here. My reply here do not specifically apply all to yeyechan as im still new to how the reply thingy function.

Juz wan to clarify something and clear ur doubt. I remember when we meet our dean on the first day, she explained to us why dentistry is so expensive (not juz imu, but all the other uni in the world). To let u all know, dentistry cost more because we need to spend a lot on facilities, dental materials, instruments, devices, lab machines and especially dental chairs (u'll be surprised to see how much materials and instruments we use, and how expensive the things are if u enrolled into dentistry). Compare to our medical frens, they just need a clinical skill room with a bed, table, some medical device which can be shared,and etc, but we need our own set of instrument for our learning process and treating patient. For instance, one small instrument can easily cost more than RM100, and imagine each of us has a box of instument. Plus, dental chair can cost more than RM100K depending on the brand and function of the dental chair. biggrin.gif

And yes, I admit that our fees is expensive. But the money is used to set up our lab and clinic and buying materials, instruments, machines and dental chairs of good quality. Our clinics is really luxurious, and the dental chair we are using is like the mecedes benz of dental chair and that's where all the money goes. I can only say u get what u pay for, despite i still think it's expensive compare to other uni, but expenses in KL is higher too. The dental chairs is definitely sufficient to accomodate our needs, as there are only 3rd year and 2nd year student used it sometimes and we are using it in different time. The reason we pair up is not because we have not enough chair, but it's because we practice 4-handed dentistry, which means there is a operator and an asistant during our treatment and we take turn to become operator and assistant.  The same goes to the dental lab too. The downside is, coz material is so expensive, occasionally they control the material that we use, juz occzsionally. And I would say our fees are more worth than medical student as they only have 2 hrs lecture everyday while we have whole day lecture, labs, etc(which means hectic..)

Academic wise, I would say that all our lecturers speak relatively good english even if they are from middle east(only few of them, some are chinese and one japanese) because some of them did they postgraduate in UK, we do not faced the problem as our medical frens did. Our dental lecturers are really bright and some are really experinced. A lot of them are actually active in dental field as in they are actively involved in research, attend conference and some even give lecture in conference and have close network with dental professionals around the world. And there will be more lecturers joining in the future.

Our course can only get recognition after the 1st batch graduate, but there shud be not much problem as our lecturers will make sure that we obtain adequate training before we graduate.

To Law_yew_wooi, manipal vs imu. Both are relatively new school, the difference is fees, way of teaching (manipal use traditional way of teaching while imu use newer teaching methods, there is pros n cons), imu have no campus life compare to manipal, etc.. If u're thinking of juz spend one semester in imu, i wont suggest u to do so because basically u're mostly studying basic science in year 1 and u'll only have the feel of u're a dental student when u're year 2 onwards. I suggest u can try arrange a visit to our uni and tour around, do ask dental student if u hav doubt as the administrative ppl are not familiar with how our faculty runs. laugh.gif
Thanks a lot...
law_yew_wooi
post Jan 18 2011, 01:22 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

who is going for dentistry february intake?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0515sec    0.20    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:29 AM