Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Engineering Accreditation, Very important for want to be engineers

views

TSbiggie
post Mar 21 2007, 09:45 AM, updated 17y ago

Regular
1,267 posts

Accreditation for Engineering courses is only given by EAC (Engineering Accreditation Council). LAN and other bodies will submit the application to EAC for accreditation. Public university submit directly to EAC whilst private university go through LAN. After uni get accreditation from EAC then uni submit the letter to JPA/PTPTN etc. Later this year all these body will be merged in MQA.

This is a short description about engineering accreditation. ENGINEERS need to be REGISTERED with BEM before they can practice, this is requirement by the law. You can go to jail if you do not register with BEM and still practice. This is similar requirement as doctors, since being engineers your design/decision can effect lots of lives. Note: You have to register with BEM before you can register with IEM.

Now, Malaysia do not actually being very strict about this law, but just like doctors now, it will be tightened in the future as the engineering sector matures.

Starting from 2002 Malaysia is trying to get in Wahington Accord. Under this agreement accredited program will be mutually recognized. Currently US/UK/Canada/Australia/IReland/Hong kong/New Zealand/South Africa is signatories to the accord. Singapore and Japan just been admitted last year (after 5 yrs observation). Malaysia suppose to be the signatories by the end of this year, at the moment we are under observation status with Taiwan and few other countries.

The requirement is to fulfilled ABET like accreditation so it is very though and accreditation for BEM is not automatic even for public universities, there are rumours that for 2006 Curtin University and University Malaya do not get full accreditation. Uni can get full accreditation (5 years) or partial accreditation (2 years) or no accreditation. Last year auditors from Australia/UK/Hong Kong do the auditing with auditors from BEM. Just to observe whether the auditors here conform to the Washington Accord requirements.

Only accredited courses (local and overseas) can apply for BEM registeration. The list can be found here:
http://www.bem.org.my/bemfinal/html/index.htm
and about Washington Accord here:
http://www.washingtonaccord.org/

It is important for engineers from overseas university to register with BEM (RM 50). Most public university have some sort of Engineering Society linked with IEM/BEM that make the student become student member and later automatically converted into graduate member (RM 50 also). You have to take one exam and interview before you become full member.

So before you choose engineering courses you must ensure that the course is accredited.
chamelion
post Mar 21 2007, 09:48 AM

Back to Bricking
2,751 posts

QUOTE(biggie @ Mar 21 2007, 09:45 AM)
Accreditation for Engineering courses is only given by EAC (Engineering Accreditation Council). LAN and other bodies will submit the application to EAC for accreditation. Public university submit directly to EAC whilst private university go through LAN. After uni get accreditation from EAC then uni submit the letter to JPA/PTPTN etc. Later this year all these body will be merged in MQA.

This is a short description about engineering accreditation. ENGINEERS need to be REGISTERED with BEM before they can practice, this is requirement by the law. You can go to jail if you do not register with BEM and still practice.  This is similar requirement as doctors, since being engineers your design/decision can effect lots of lives.  Note: You have to register with BEM before you can register with IEM.

Now, Malaysia do not actually being very strict about this law, but just like doctors now, it will be tightened in the future as the engineering sector matures.

Starting from 2002 Malaysia is trying to get in Wahington Accord. Under this agreement accredited program will be mutually recognized. Currently US/UK/Canada/Australia/IReland/Hong kong/New Zealand/South Africa is signatories to the accord. Singapore and Japan just been admitted last year (after 5 yrs observation).  Malaysia suppose to be the signatories by the end of this year, at the moment we are under observation status with Taiwan and few other countries.

The requirement is to fulfilled ABET like accreditation  so it is very though and accreditation for BEM is not automatic even for public universities, there are rumours that for 2006 Curtin University and University Malaya do not get full accreditation. Uni can get full accreditation (5 years) or partial accreditation (2 years) or no accreditation. Last year auditors from Australia/UK/Hong Kong do the auditing with auditors from BEM. Just to observe whether the auditors here conform to the Washington Accord requirements.

Only accredited courses (local and overseas) can apply for BEM registeration. The list can be found here:
http://www.bem.org.my/bemfinal/html/index.htm
and about Washington Accord here:
http://www.washingtonaccord.org/

It is important for engineers from overseas university to register with BEM (RM 50). Most public university have some sort of Engineering Society linked with IEM/BEM that make the student become student member and later automatically converted into graduate member (RM 50 also). You have to take one exam and interview before you become full member.

So before you choose engineering courses you must ensure that the course is accredited.
I dont think this article painted the whole picture.
TSbiggie
post Mar 21 2007, 09:49 AM

Regular
1,267 posts

chemelion obviously you can ask for clarification. I'm around today, and Friday (not Thursday) to answer queries.

This post has been edited by biggie: Mar 21 2007, 09:50 AM
afosz
post Mar 21 2007, 09:57 AM

Justice, My Foot!
1,413 posts

get HND programme and you'll get exemption from The Engineering Council (EC), UK and it is approved by BEM thumbup.gif
yeahs4.1
post Mar 21 2007, 11:05 AM

Audio Freako
2,491 posts

TS, u're from BEM/IEM???
rastablank
post Mar 21 2007, 02:28 PM

Enthusiast
951 posts

It's very usefull when you want to set up your own company, i dont think in Malaysia it's necessary to take the test, many Malaysian engineers didn't even bother to register with the bodies, what is in their head is only money making, thats what my lecturer told me laugh.gif
Teong
post Mar 21 2007, 05:31 PM

Casual
479 posts

QUOTE(rastablank @ Mar 21 2007, 02:28 PM)
It's very usefull when you want to set up your own company, i dont think in Malaysia it's necessary to take the test, many Malaysian engineers didn't even bother to register with the bodies, what is in their head is only money making, thats what my lecturer told me laugh.gif
registration and membership with iem/bem is only necessary for civil engineers. many do not register as members but work with private companies and mncs, in fields of telcommunications, EE, mech, chemical engineering, etc.

these companies just hire engineering grads. no requirement for them to have professional membership.
SUSkockroach
post Mar 21 2007, 09:40 PM

Certified Noob
3,256 posts

QUOTE(Teong @ Mar 21 2007, 05:31 PM)
registration and membership with iem/bem is only necessary for civil engineers. many do not register as members but work with private companies and mncs, in fields of telcommunications, EE, mech, chemical engineering, etc.

these companies just hire engineering grads. no requirement for them to have professional membership.
But BEM fellow told me the government are going to enforce the law where every engineer practice in Malaysia must register as member. I did notice some MNC advertisement looking for engineer which has already register with BEM.

No offense
SeeD
post Feb 12 2008, 02:11 PM

I Love Bubbles
6,728 posts

Erm what is with the Washington accord ??
i asked UNSW about what standard are they using and they told me it's in line with the Washington Accord.
Is it the UK standards or ??
TSbiggie
post Feb 12 2008, 04:26 PM

Regular
1,267 posts

Washington Accord is the list of countries that agree to recognised one another professional qualifications.

from wikipedia
The Washington Accord is an agreement between the bodies responsible for accrediting professional engineering degree programs in each of the signatory countries. It recognizes the substantial equivalency of programs accredited by those bodies, and recommends that graduates of accredited programs in any of the signatory countries be recognized by the other countries as having met the academic requirements for entry to the practice of engineering.

One must take note of Sydney Accord (technologist) and Dublin Accord (technicians).
syyang85
post Apr 5 2009, 12:49 PM

Rock & Roll Forever
980 posts

Any update on this?
Alexdino
post Apr 26 2009, 07:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,000 posts

QUOTE(Teong @ Mar 21 2007, 05:31 PM)

Yes, most probaly Civil grads are most essentail for registration to able for them to obtain PE. but others fields are advice to do so or not u are no different than science grads.

QUOTE(kockroach @ Mar 21 2007, 09:40 PM)
But BEM fellow told me the government are going to enforce the law where every engineer practice in Malaysia must register as member. I did notice some MNC advertisement looking for engineer which has already register with BEM.
register with BEM is easy, you only need to fill up a form with the approval of PE(Professional Engineer) plus rm100 register fee IINM.
MyKy44
post Apr 26 2009, 11:02 PM

kaki bodek staff
2,821 posts

I think someone should post another topic: IEM vs BEM.
i think it's sometimes confusing on which is which, and which to register to.

on topic, it is very important to ensure the engineering course that you're taking is being accredited by LAN and EAC. If not, one cannot practice as an engineer as per Malaysian's law.

i'll try to find more info on this smile.gif
farscope
post Apr 27 2009, 01:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,417 posts

omg.. tis is bad news for me!! now i m seriously thinking whether to study MEng or MSc to complete a 4 year degree.. hmm.gif
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 27 2009, 01:51 AM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

QUOTE(farscope @ Apr 27 2009, 01:22 AM)
omg.. tis is bad news for me!! now i m seriously thinking whether to study MEng or MSc to complete a 4 year degree.. hmm.gif
there's no 4 years msc... all 4 years goes to only meng

bem is the gov side... only professional engineers are in.. their other section is not so popular... mostly just to make sure pro engs r doing what they are supposed to do.. more of gov body

where's iem is like the club for pro. engs. they got grad n student side.. tonnes of activities,
Alexdino
post Apr 27 2009, 02:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,000 posts

QUOTE(SeLrAhC @ Apr 27 2009, 01:51 AM)

bem is the gov side... only professional engineers are in.. their other section is not so popular... mostly just to make sure pro engs r doing what they are supposed to do.. more of gov body

where's iem is like the club for pro. engs. they got grad n student side.. tonnes of activities,
Yes, correct.

Bsc=3 years, BEng= 4 years. the main differences is that BEng incorperated more design subject that Bsc.

Most Japanese factory will employed Bsc graduate as Assistance Engineer and promote to Engineer after 2 years experience. Depended on your luck some US electronics factory will direct employed Bsc as engineer, this is where Bsc come in handy where you save one year of study, but Bsc is not consider as engineering course/ or engineer by BEM/IEM.

Only BEng can register as an Engineer.

BEM (board)- you need only register once (with payment), upon your graduation. is a must.

IEM (institute)- you can join the activities/club provided as long as you pay the annual renewal fee. Mostly for those who want to persuit PE, although you can persuit through BEM also.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

farscope
post Apr 27 2009, 02:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,417 posts

QUOTE(SeLrAhC @ Apr 27 2009, 01:51 AM)

well, my uni's MSc is 1 year but with 3 sem while MEng is 2 sem with 1 long summer break.. =)
Alexdino
post Apr 27 2009, 04:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,000 posts

QUOTE(farscope @ Apr 27 2009, 02:48 PM)
well, my uni's MSc is 1 year but with 3 sem while MEng is 2 sem with 1 long summer break.. =)
oh you mean Msc and MEng - Master degree? yes most of the Msc and MEng is on minimum of one year (means two sem), but i seldom see ppl finish within that length especially those parttimers and those courses with dissertation
jasperng
post Apr 27 2009, 06:03 PM

- Eminent Leader -
1,263 posts

If I take MSc to compensate my 3-year BEng from UK uni, can I register with BEM ? O f cuz the MSc is accredited by them.

tanjinjack
post Apr 27 2009, 06:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,122 posts

QUOTE(Alexdino @ Apr 27 2009, 02:13 PM)
Yes, correct.

Bsc=3 years, BEng= 4 years. the main differences is that BEng incorperated more design subject that Bsc.

Most Japanese factory will employed Bsc graduate as Assistance Engineer and promote to Engineer after 2 years experience. Depended on your luck some US electronics factory will direct employed Bsc as engineer, this is where Bsc come in handy where you save one year of study, but Bsc is not consider as engineering course/ or engineer by BEM/IEM.

Only BEng can register as an Engineer.

BEM (board)- you need only register once (with payment), upon your graduation. is a must.

IEM (institute)- you can join the activities/club provided as long as you pay the annual renewal fee. Mostly for those who want to persuit PE, although you can persuit through BEM also.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

BEng for UK 3 years.
If 4 years, MEng.

Added on April 27, 2009, 6:08 pm
QUOTE(jasperng @ Apr 27 2009, 06:03 PM)
If I take MSc to compensate my 3-year BEng from UK uni, can I register with BEM ? O f cuz the MSc is accredited by them.
I think ECUK recognise then it shouldn't be a problem for BEM.

This post has been edited by tanjinjack: Apr 27 2009, 06:08 PM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0218sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:10 PM