New Forum Policy Regarding Flashcarts, To be implemented 7/8/2014

views

TSPr1me_Minister
post Aug 1 2014, 03:21 AM, updated 10y ago

Casual
Group Icon
Staff
314 posts

• Starting 7/8/2014, sales of GBA/ DS/ 3DS flashcarts (or devices that allows pirated ROMs to be played on their respective consoles) in the Garage Sales (Games) will be disallowed.
  • Please use this 7 days period to remove these items from your sales thread. Those who fail to comply may have their threads removed without any chance of appeal.
  • Forumers are encouraged to inform sellers about this rule by posting the link to this thread in their sales topics.
  • Forumers are also encouraged to report errant sellers by clicking the user posted image button below their post. Please include a link to this thread in your report.
  • Reasons: I'm not against homebrews or region breaking itself, but how many of us here actually cared about it and stay away from piracy (less than 1% I'm sure)? There are better alternatives for people who really want to talk about homebrews as well as the hardware's technical aspects. Seriously, try visiting one of those sales threads, it's all filled with piracy talk including the sellers themselves.

This post has been edited by Pr1me_Minister: Aug 9 2014, 03:05 AM
Kyoyagami
post Aug 1 2014, 09:42 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

It may be best to also point out the reason for this move this time around.
ballistix89
post Aug 1 2014, 10:50 AM

lurker
351 posts

Why the need to remove?

Not everyone uses flashcarts to play pirated ROMs.
Some people are actually using it to run homebrew software (e.g moonshell).
This is like banning modded PS2 from being sold.

Below is item 2 of the Garage Sales rule:
2. Modded consoles or devices which allows you to run homebrew programs are allowed, as long as they do not include any copyrighted materials.

kenjixx
post Aug 1 2014, 11:21 AM

my home hero
741 posts

people that wanna use it for homebrew should have already own it and also knows where to get it if needed and those who just get in to homebrew scene can get better replacement else where

i think for the older generation card just let it dies off naturally .. 3DS flashcarts should be ban because it serve no purpose other than pirating games
fizyboy
post Aug 2 2014, 02:09 PM

Getting Started
280 posts

QUOTE(kenjixx @ Aug 1 2014, 11:21 AM)
3DS flashcarts should be ban because it serve no purpose other than pirating games
its true that homebrew is not possible yet but it still has 2 main useful features:
- region free purpose so you can play original japanese / EU catridges
- backup/dump your original game catridges into microsd card so you dont have to carry all your gamecards & make it more convenient by not having to switch catridges
kenjixx
post Aug 2 2014, 02:17 PM

my home hero
741 posts

QUOTE(fizyboy @ Aug 2 2014, 02:09 PM)
its true that homebrew is not possible yet but it still has 2 main useful features:
- backup/dump your original game catridges into microsd card so you dont have to carry all your gamecards & make it more convenient by not having to switch catridges
Both can be done legally...
If u can afford buying other region game why not just get that specific region 3ds... You can get dlc and stuff only if you have that region 3ds right...

Get digital copy of the game if u want convenient

fizyboy
post Aug 2 2014, 02:29 PM

Getting Started
280 posts

you could do that too, though having 3 3ds would be too costly and inconvenient to carry around. besides, unlike sony store, eshop digital games are too expensive (not worth it unless its digital only) and most people would prefer to own the physical boxes smile.gif

anyway i just wanted to point out that there are a few people use 3ds flashcard for region free & convenient purpose. though i agree that majority of them use it to pirate
kuroneko0509
post Aug 2 2014, 04:26 PM

~~sleeping anywhere, anytime, anyplace~~
Group Icon
VIP
969 posts

QUOTE(ballistix89 @ Aug 1 2014, 10:50 AM)
Why the need to remove?

Might kind of bit of stretch but if you just go to most of the threads selling those flashcart, look at what the customers responses. Did they ever mention about homebrew? Very rarely. Heck, some sellers even mentioned about playing ROM in their 1st post before I remind them to remove countlessly.
The rule #2 is kind of old. (was it during pre-ps360wii?). Some seller even use that as an argument against me for other modded console like 360 where I'm not completely sure about it. Hopefully the rule will be change when the new forum version come... which I have no idea when it will be laugh.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong but that region free mod is unofficial and some of 'em even counter brick the 3DS and stuff.

QUOTE(fizyboy @ Aug 2 2014, 02:29 PM)
you could do that too, though having 3 3ds would be too costly and inconvenient to carry around. besides, unlike sony store, eshop digital games are too expensive (not worth it unless its digital only) and most people would prefer to own the physical boxes smile.gif

anyway i just wanted to point out that there are a few people use 3ds flashcard for region free & convenient purpose. though i agree that majority of them use it to pirate
>convenient...
using sony logic you won't be able to conveniently switch digital stuff on your vita without doing that tedious format process and stuff.
This is a bit personal but I do carry all 4 3DS that I own whenever I wanted to go anywhere that's far, but only bring any 1 whenever I just wanted to go to uni or anywhere near. Besides, short travelling time isn't enough for me to switch around playing multiple games in a single region 3DS, yet alone multiple region 3DS.

This post has been edited by kuroneko0509: Aug 2 2014, 04:29 PM
Kyoyagami
post Aug 4 2014, 09:52 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

If the use of the majority is meant for piracy, then sucks for the minority who want to use it for region free and convenience. I guess we just have to decide for the greater good then. ( if it truly is that is)
fizyboy
post Aug 4 2014, 11:10 AM

Getting Started
280 posts

QUOTE(kuroneko0509 @ Aug 2 2014, 04:26 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong but that region free mod is unofficial and some of 'em even counter brick the 3DS and stuff.
Region free is officially supported and works a treat. The bricking thing was put in place to counter other clones that ripped off their hardwork (kinda ironic that even flashcards makers have their own anti-piracy measures in their products huh? lol)

>convenient...
using sony logic you won't be able to conveniently switch digital stuff on your vita without doing that tedious format process and stuff.
Agreed, a single Vita doesnt support multi accounts and switching account is a pain in the ass so its not truly digital region free neither. Physical cards are region free though (but you cant buy DLC if different region than your PSN).

I love Nintendo but in order to get people to buy their games digitally, they should hurry up and have the following:
- account system so you can share your purchases with different systems / devices
- similar service like PlaystationPlus, free games every month are awesome biggrin.gif
- better priced digital games, they should be cheaper than physical
- better and more frequent discounts! preferably on weekly basis!

This is a bit personal but I do carry all 4 3DS that I own whenever I wanted to go anywhere that's far, but only bring any 1 whenever I just wanted to go to uni or anywhere near. Besides, short travelling time isn't enough for me to switch around playing multiple games in a single region 3DS, yet alone multiple region 3DS.
kuroneko have 4 3DS? respect! thumbup.gif if that setup works for you then thats great!
im not here to argue or convince you to think otherwise haha smile.gif

QUOTE(Kyoyagami @ Aug 4 2014, 09:52 AM)
If the use of the majority is meant for piracy, then sucks for the minority who want to use it for region free and convenience. I guess we just have to decide for the greater good then. ( if it truly is that is)
Yeah i'm okay either way. I just wish more people would know how convenient it is to have region free & the ability to dump all your games into a single microsd card. For me its like iOS jailbreak, once jailbroken and have a taste of all the conveniences, you wont be able to go back to use a non-jailbroken device. But its not my intention to promote piracy so if you cant stop yourself from pirating, better stay away from flashcards/jailbreak altogether!

This post has been edited by fizyboy: Aug 4 2014, 11:19 AM
TSPr1me_Minister
post Aug 7 2014, 04:12 AM

Casual
Group Icon
Staff
314 posts

QUOTE(ballistix89 @ Aug 1 2014, 10:50 AM)
Why the need to remove?

Moonshell? Pretty much everyone owns a smartphone nowdays, I used to transcode videos for my old feature phone to watch on the go many years ago (songs too). I'm not against homebrews or region breaking itself, but how many of us here actually cared about it and stay away from piracy (less than 1% I'm sure)? There are better alternatives for people who really want to talk about homebrews as well as the hardware's technical aspects.

BTW I'm the one who wrote most of the main rules in the Games Garage Sales including the one you're mentioning, still in the process of streamlining it along with the other consoles sections (since each of them has their own rules on modding).

Seriously, try visiting one of those sales threads, it's all filled with piracy talk including the sellers themselves.

Matters pertaining moded PS2 is up to the Playstation section mods to decide. They have already banned sales of modded PS3 here.

Dumping ROMs/ ISOs from Nintendo games are against the EULA and also illegal in most part of the world. And you can't just eat a cake and still keep it too.

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by Pr1me_Minister: Aug 7 2014, 04:13 AM
weiyann83
post Aug 8 2014, 06:35 PM

40 posts

Admin Should block iphone jailbreak, android phone, ps3 jailbreak, and etc as well they allow to play gba, snes and etc rom... to be fair for everyone, not just block and delete people post. At least please status clearly enough which word not allow.

devices that allows pirated ROMs to be played on their respective consoles.

You should block all ds,3ds, wii, xbox, xbox 360, ps, ps2 and ps3 on sales, the hardware allow to play pirated and already exploited. You should work with nintendo, sony and Microsoft tell them why the hardware design allow user to soft / hard break?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:32 AM