Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Headphones Headphones / Earphones Recommendation Corner V7

views

TSMrJinggles
post Nov 27 2011, 12:59 PM, updated 13y ago

Regular
1,285 posts

Headphones/ Earphones Recomendation Corner V7

This thread serves as a Q&A section for all new/existing audiophiles seeking advice on their next headphone purchase! biggrin.gif

The rules are simple, no flaming/bashing and try not to spam (posting irrelevant post).
You may ask us any headphone/earphone related question, and we will gladly assist you. Don't be shy! wink.gif

When asking, please remember to STATE YOUR BUDGET. Better if you give exact numbers... "not so expensive la" is not considered a budget laugh.gif

Other info such as the following will also be helpful to get faster and more accurate responses:
- Your rig (mp3 players, amps, soundcard etc)
- What type of usage (movies/ gaming/ music etc)
- File format used in your source (i.e. flac, mp3 etc)
- Genre of music you listen to (classical, jazz, metal, etc)
- Headphone/ earphone type (closed, open, cirumaural, IEM etc)
- Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control, 5.1ch, 7.1ch etc)

...or you can just copy and paste the following format when posting:
CODE
- [B]My Rig:[/B]
- [B]Type of usage:[/B]
- [B]File format:[/B]
- [B]Music genre:[/B]
- [B]Budget:[/B]
- [b]Headphone/ earphone type:[/b]
- [b]Other requirements (if any):[/b] 

Best of luck on your headphone/ earphone purchase! smile.gif

Useful links:
Multi IEM review - 214 IEMs reviewed (ljokerl @ Head-Fi)
Shootout - 82 portable headphones reviewed (ljokerl @ Head-Fi)
How to choose the perfect pair of headphones/earphones (lifehacker.com)
To Amp, Or Not to Amp? (inearmatters.net)
Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared (Skylab @ Head-fi)
Custom IEM Resource Thread - Summary Reviews, Info, Custom IEM Manufacturers (average_joe @ Head-Fi)
Multiple IEM shootout v3 (ClieOS - Head-Fi)
Earbuds Guide - 12 Earbuds Compared (swbf2cheater @ Head-Fi)
Glossary of terms for the audiophile (audiolinks.com)

Previous threads for reference:
Recommendation Thread V1
Recommendation Thread V2
Recommendation Thread V3
Recommendation Thread V4
Recommendation Thread V5
Recommendation Thread V6

Some audio terms used in this thread and their meaning:

Circumaural headphones:
Sometimes called full size headphones, these are made in a circular fashion that surround the ear completely.

Closed back:
Closed back (or sealed) headphones are designed to reduce the effect of external noise on your listening and also to keep the noise made by the headphone drivers from leaking out and disturbing people around you.

Ear Bud:
Ear bud headphones are small in size and are placed directly outside the ear canal.

In Ear Monitors (IEM):
In Ear Monitors (IEM) also known as Ear Canal Headphones (ECH's). These earphones are placed into the ear canal and effectively seal your ear with their small rubberised ear-tip sleeve (can also come with various tips). They are small, lightweight and very portable.

Noise cancelling headphones:
Noise cancelling headphones reduce the perceived noise from outside with the clever use of small microphones located inside the earpiece and active electronics within the headset. The basic principle is that the noise signal for the outside world is inverted and then summed with the signal from the audio source. The result is that the ambient noise from outside is effectively cancelled out, which lets you enjoy your music.

Open back headphones:
Open back headphones (sometimes referred to as vented) are designed to allow sound out through the back of the earcup. This design gives a character to the sound that is often described as having an open soundstage, or natural. One reason for this is that there are less reflections than a closed back (or sealed) design.

Supra aural:
Supra aural headphones have pads that sit on top of the ears, rather than around them.

Source:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/
http://www.wirelessrfheadphones.com/guides...uld-you-choose/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones
http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-7612_7-382-1.html?tag=page;page
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/headphone-...de-by-type.html
http://www.headphonereviews.org/glossary.php

Note: If there's anything you think I should add, send me a PM. cool.gif

This post has been edited by MrJinggles: Jan 13 2012, 11:41 PM
niunai
post Nov 27 2011, 01:06 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

I'm 1st laugh.gif
Guys, need some suggestion here. Thx in advance icon_rolleyes.gif
- My Rig: HTC Evo 3D
- Type of usage: Music
- File format: MP3
- Music genre: Jpop
- Budget: RM200 + -
- Headphone/ earphone type: IEM
- Other requirements (if any): mic & volume control nod.gif
ukimaro
post Nov 27 2011, 02:10 PM

On my way
636 posts

Congrats on V7 ! biggrin.gif
Akuma no Hana
post Nov 27 2011, 02:15 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(GenericMav @ Nov 27 2011, 11:54 AM)
it sounds good with my lappy (at 100 volume), but of course, with amping this could juice some more from it potential  cool.gif
all i can say is, its good enough without amp, and gain some benefits from amp
take it slow, and enjoy your HD660  laugh.gif
QUOTE(SimpleasABC @ Nov 27 2011, 12:04 PM)
ohsemm  rclxms.gif ... yeah for sure ill take it slow, since im in low budget now tongue.gif and a step enter audiophiles world
thanks for your great advice. gonna order the headphone this week  drool.gif
Wow 100% that sure is loud for me even with a 250ohm headphone. Don't worry too much about amp first. They will still run fine without one with the bad effect that I have written for HD668B in my previous post. With a proper amplifier/ desktop amp they are not just only bringing a bit of potential, they might actually bring out their full potential depending on the match between the amp and the headphone. Try to avoid portable or battery power amp instead. If you do I find the minimum standard will be JDSLabs CMOY BB stock configuration for a high ohm headphone.

Try not to listen too loud especially from a headphone out from your pc. You might damage your ear instead. I've been living for about a year +- without a proper/ using portable, battery power amp for my 250ohm headphone and I find it to damage a bit of my hearing already. Try to listen softer and only blast them after you get an amplifier. I hope here you can find a bit information about the amplification. There are some information might have mistakes because it is too hard to find a proper and correct information in an audiophile world. Too much misconception that I'm trying to correct. Here's the link http://audioreviews-akuma.blogspot.com/201...-headphone.html

Basically headphone amp is unlike most speaker amp/ budget speaker amp, their main purpose is not to increase the volume though increased volume is one of the side effect you get from proper amplification. They are meant for improving the controls on the drivers/speaker instead thus increasing the amount of details, bass punch and certain matching can increase the speed/PRAT as well. In other words, headphone amp helps you reduce the your listening volume instead because you are hearing more details than not having a proper amplifier.

Sorry for bringing this old post from previous thread. But I think this is something that is important and should take note of.
pcm123
post Nov 27 2011, 03:05 PM

Casual
463 posts

[/quote]

QUOTE(Akuma no Hana @ Nov 27 2011, 02:15 PM)
Wow 100% that sure is loud for me even with a 250ohm headphone. Don't worry too much about amp first. They will still run fine without one with the bad effect that I have written for HD668B in my previous post. With a proper amplifier/ desktop amp they are not just only bringing a bit of potential, they might actually bring out their full potential depending on the match between the amp and the headphone. Try to avoid portable or battery power amp instead. If you do I find the minimum standard will be JDSLabs CMOY BB stock configuration for a high ohm headphone.

Try not to listen too loud especially from a headphone out from your pc. You might damage your ear instead. I've been living for about a year +- without a proper/ using portable, battery power amp for my 250ohm headphone and I find it to damage a bit of my hearing already. Try to listen softer and only blast them after you get an amplifier. I hope here you can find a bit information about the amplification. There are some information might have mistakes because it is too hard to find a proper and correct information in an audiophile world. Too much misconception that I'm trying to correct. Here's the link http://audioreviews-akuma.blogspot.com/201...-headphone.html

Basically headphone amp is unlike most speaker amp/ budget speaker amp, their main purpose is not to increase the volume though increased volume is one of the side effect you get from proper amplification. They are meant for improving the controls on the drivers/speaker instead thus increasing the amount of details, bass punch and certain matching can increase the speed/PRAT as well. In other words, headphone amp helps you reduce the your listening volume instead because you are hearing more details than not having a proper amplifier.

Sorry for bringing this old post from previous thread. But I think this is something that is important and should take note of.
oh , so if i wanna get a HD660 i dun need to get an amp first , since u mentioned its needs power supply somemore , must be expensive keke .
And i dun think i can hear the difference just yet hehe .
btw sifu , pls help advise , thanks ! from previous post.

[quote=pcm123,Nov 26 2011, 09:05 PM]
Hi sifus

- My Rig: iphone 4 , pc
- Type of usage: mostly music
- File format: mp3
- Music genre: mostly pop, like tvxq, boa , snsd , celine dion, adele , muse , mj .
- Budget: less than 200
- Headphone/ earphone type: full headset , close or semi open i dunno the pros n cons , pls advice.
- Other requirements (if any): i m aiming for superlux 660d , wonder is there smth similar in performance n price n more suitable for my music type . Previously only owned a koss kcs 75.

Thanks for the help !

just need some assurance keke . btw is this headset available at jalan pasar ? What area to pay attention while checking new product? and anyone know the warranty for hd660 ?

big thanks !
Akuma no Hana
post Nov 27 2011, 05:11 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(pcm123 @ Nov 27 2011, 03:05 PM)

oh , so if i wanna get a HD660 i dun need to get an amp first , since u mentioned its needs power supply somemore , must be expensive keke .
And i dun think i can hear the difference just yet hehe .
btw sifu , pls help advise , thanks ! from previous post.

QUOTE(pcm123 @ Nov 26 2011, 09:05 PM)
Hi sifus

My Rig: iphone 4 , pc
- Type of usage: mostly music
- File format: mp3
- Music genre: mostly pop, like tvxq, boa , snsd , celine dion, adele , muse , mj .
- Budget: less than 200
- Headphone/ earphone type: full headset , close or semi open i dunno the pros n cons , pls advice.
- Other requirements (if any): i m aiming for superlux 660d , wonder is there smth similar in performance n price n more suitable for my music type . Previously only owned a koss kcs 75.

Thanks for the help !

just need some assurance keke . btw is this headset available at jalan pasar ? What area to pay attention while checking new product? and anyone know the warranty for hd660 ?

big thanks !
Ya HD660 requires amplifier but you can get it later on. They are not necessary that expensive at all. On the lower end you can even get a dac amp combo from the fiio E10. On the mid range you have uber muzik TTD, audinst hud mx1 and many more.
It is hard to match the performance of superlux because they are probably one of the best budget performer out there. They don't put much money on looks or smoothing out the design. Most of their money went to sound improvement and speaker design. Yes they looks like cheap chinese stuffs, but their plastic is much harder than those known brand and can withstand more torture than most headphone.
You can go pasar road intrasco to test them out. But for purchase I think finding Trio is better as they are a bit cheaper.
Ask_Yip
post Nov 27 2011, 05:34 PM

Retired Audiophiles
2,864 posts

V7, congrats!
zeustronic
post Nov 27 2011, 08:30 PM

Retire OC Into Audiophiles
2,605 posts

Review of earphone
shah93
post Nov 27 2011, 10:32 PM

On my way
655 posts

anyone have suggestion please

- My Rig: PC,Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Type of usage: Mp3,gaming
- File format: mp3,mkv
- Music genre: bass,pop,hip hop
- Budget: less RM300 or -+
- Headphone/ earphone type: looking for headphone
- Other requirements (if any): brand shure,sennheiser

noobandroid
post Nov 27 2011, 10:34 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(shah93 @ Nov 27 2011, 10:32 PM)
anyone have suggestion please

- My Rig: PC,Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Type of usage: Mp3,gaming
- File format: mp3,mkv
- Music genre: bass,pop,hip hop
- Budget: less RM300 or -+
- Headphone/ earphone type: looking for headphone
- Other requirements (if any): brand shure,sennheiser
try srh440 from shure

This post has been edited by noobandroid: Nov 27 2011, 10:34 PM
shah93
post Nov 27 2011, 10:39 PM

On my way
655 posts

QUOTE(noobandroid @ Nov 27 2011, 10:34 PM)
try srh440 from shure
how about headphone with great bass? im targeting good quality bass sound headphone tongue.gif
noobandroid
post Nov 27 2011, 10:43 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(shah93 @ Nov 27 2011, 10:39 PM)
how about headphone with great bass? im targeting good quality bass sound headphone  tongue.gif
well srh440 has a decent amount of bass, should be enough for quality bass sound u seek, but not the OGRE bass from Beats type
shah93
post Nov 27 2011, 10:59 PM

On my way
655 posts

QUOTE(noobandroid @ Nov 27 2011, 10:43 PM)
well srh440 has a decent amount of bass, should be enough for quality bass sound u seek, but not the OGRE bass from Beats type
so compared with SRH440 and Beats Solo HD...Beats better bass? does all beats product have OGRE Bass?
noobandroid
post Nov 27 2011, 11:01 PM

Audiophile
All Stars
11,836 posts

QUOTE(shah93 @ Nov 27 2011, 10:59 PM)
so compared with SRH440 and Beats Solo HD...Beats better bass? does all beats product have OGRE Bass?
oh hell yeah they do, it's their signature, "nothing but the bass" instead of "nothing but the best" lol
GenericMav
post Nov 28 2011, 12:29 AM

just call me GM
1,175 posts

and never aim for fake beats, because they got none of this bass
seriously i wonder why can people said its 90% same with ori laugh.gif
Lennox
post Nov 28 2011, 12:48 AM

H3nG
1,333 posts

QUOTE(GenericMav @ Nov 28 2011, 12:29 AM)
and never aim for fake beats, because they got none of this bass
seriously i wonder why can people said its 90% same with ori  laugh.gif
it depends on the grades. Fake Beats have different grades with different price. whistling.gif
shah93
post Nov 28 2011, 01:32 AM

On my way
655 posts

QUOTE(Lennox @ Nov 28 2011, 12:48 AM)
it depends on the grades. Fake Beats have different grades with different price.  whistling.gif
and where to find a "good" grade? biggrin.gif
GenericMav
post Nov 28 2011, 01:35 AM

just call me GM
1,175 posts

QUOTE(shah93 @ Nov 28 2011, 01:32 AM)
and where to find a "good" grade?  biggrin.gif
big and heavy packaging, with "limited edition" wordings, and pretty big price-tag perhaps? whistling.gif
Ikmal91
post Nov 28 2011, 02:51 AM

Suck On My Banana
1,183 posts

- My Rig: Laptop, iPod
- Type of usage: MP3, Movies
- Music genre: Rock, Metal, Alternative
- Budget: Below RM700
- Headphone/ earphone type: Headphone
- Other requirements (if any): NONE
E1 - AKG
post Nov 28 2011, 03:44 AM