FAQ for Edifier Speakers, answers to the most common questions

views

TSshockk
post Sep 16 2005, 10:07 AM, updated 19y ago

[ T A R G E T - L 0 C K E D ]
Group Icon
VIP
11,692 posts

For those of you who may encounter some problem or difficulty with Edifier speakers , please read the following FAQ. Your answer might just be there!

Frequently Asked Questions for Edifier Products

Q: How I can hook up my 5.1 speaker with my computer?

A: Please read your user manual and follow the instruction connecting you speaker system Carefully. Then Using Edifier's 3 Audio connecting color cords(1 3.5 Stereo Headphone plug converted to 2 RCA) connect your speaker to computer's Sound Card like the picture show below.
user posted image
(SB Live 5.1 Sound Card)
Brown (Center/Sub output); Blue(Input);Pink (Microphone);Green(Front output);Black(Rear/Surround output)
If using a different sound card, please check your sound card manual for correct connection.
After done the connection, you have to do some setup work for sound card. (Make sure you install the correct Sound Card driver before setting)

Q: Why can't I hear sound from my speakers?

A: If you can't hear sound from your speakers, it means the speakers are not connected properly, the sound card isn't setup correctly, or the speakers could be defective.
First, check the speaker-to-computer connections. Make sure the cable connected to the "Audio In" jack on the speakers is also connected to the "Speaker Out" or "Line Out" jack on the sound card.
You can test the sound card jack by connecting headphones to it. If headphones work, you know the sound card is set up correctly. Try connecting the speakers to a portable sound device such as a Walkman, AM/FM radio, or portable CD player. Plug the speakers into the headphone jack, but make sure you lower the volume so you do not overpower the speakers.
If the speakers do not work through the headphone jack, they may be defective.
If they do work on an alternate sound source, check the system Volume Control. To do this, double click on the speaker icon in the Windows taskbar. Make sure that the volumes are at a reasonable level and that they are not muted.

Q: Why can't I hear sound from my rear speakers (4.1 and 5.1 Systems)?

A
: When you can only hear sound from the front speakers, it usually means the sound card does not support surround sound, and/or the sound card is not configured correctly, the speakers are connected incorrectly or the speakers could be defective.
First, make sure your sound card supports surround sound 4.1. A surround sound card should have a front and rear speaker jack. If you are unsure if your sound card supports surround sound or if you are unsure your surround sound card supports surround sound 4.1, please contact the manufacturer.
Make sure the rear audio cable is plugged into the correct port. On most surround sound cards, the rear speakers socket is black and the front speakers' socket is green. If you do not have a surround sound card, make sure you use the proper adapter or use the M3D button for simulated surround sound. The correct adapter is a 3.5mm splitter, with one side being 3.5mm female and the other being 2x3.5mm male.
If the speakers are connected correctly, test them on a portable sound device such as a Walkman or portable CD player. Plug the speakers into the headphone jack, but make sure you lower the volume so you do not overpower the speakers. If the speakers do not work through the headphone jack, they may be defective. If they do work in a Walkman or other source, check the PC system Volume Control. To do this, double click on the speaker icon in the Windows taskbar. Make sure that the volumes are at a reasonable level and that they are not muted.

Q: What is the difference between digital and analog signals for speakers?

A
: Analog signals are recorded in their original form, for example, recording to a tape. Analog signals can be read and amplified, but can also be damaged by the environment, and degraded with ancillary equipment which reduces sound quality.
Digital signals are recorded in binary code (numbers that consist of only 0 and 1) and reproduce at the source, and this is one reason the signal can't be damaged or degraded. Another advantage of digital signals is they can be compressed, taking less space to store then an analog signal.

Q: What is Dolby digital?

A
: Dolby digital is a sound format featuring six-channel sound with separate left and right sounds and a low frequency-effects channel. Dolby digital is a standard when it comes to sound formats for DVDs, set-top boxes, etc.

Q: I find 4.1, 5.1, and 6.1 surround sound Dolby DD, DTS, and AC3 to be confusing. How is it set up?

A
:Your PC or Mac will need to be equipped with a 3rd party 5.1 surround sound card to be fully functional. You may use a 4.1 surround card, or a 2 channel sound card for basic functionality.

Optical or Coax hook up

Simply attach your PC or Mac with an optical output to the Edifier S2.1, S5.1 and S5.1M via RCA cables or optical cable in the case of the S2.1D model. If your PC or Mac supports Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS, the Edifier S5.1 and S5.1M will allow you to enjoy surround sound.
Simply select the digital input you are using by pressing the input button. Then press the effect button until you reach Dolby Digital mode you wish.

If you are listening to music, which is made in only 2 channels, you can up mix your music to simulated surround sound. Simply select the effect you like most:
NORMAL, DVD, MUSIC, or GAME.

6--channel analog input

This input configuration is the same as the above and allows you to attach your Edifier S5.1and S5.1M to a sound card, which supports Dolby 6.1 channel surround sound modes.
Simply follow the instruction manual coding on the back of the Edifier S5.1and S5.1M to hook up your speaker system. Most sound cards will come with useful software to test each channel for correct balance. Please check with the sound card Manufacturers website for further details. Another very useful source for information is www.dolby.com and access the Dolby Knowledgebase.

Q: Does it matter where I place the Subwoofer?

A
: All Edifier subwoofers are designed so you can place them anywhere in the room. There is no need to place the subwoofer in the corner or tuck it away, however, placing the subwoofer in a corner will increase bass output due to boundary re-enforcement.

Q: Are Edifier speakers digital or analog?

A
: The current Edifier model S2.1D accepts digital input for front speakers and rear speakers. The other models in current production accept analogue inputs.

Q: Why don't I get surround sound when I play movies or games?

A
: You may not hear surround sound when you play movies or games if your sound card is not surround sound capable. The movie/game must also support surround sound. If you are not sure of either of these, check with your sound card manufacturer and read the documentation that came with your game/movie.

Q: Can I extend the reach of the satellite speakers?

A
: With all Edifier systems, you can extend the reach of your satellites by using regular 18-gauge speaker cabling. It is most important to note the phasing of the cables however, i.e. positive- to-positive, and negative-to-negative markings on the cable itself.

Q: Why do I hear static from my speakers?

A
: Loose cables or cables that are not grounded properly can cause static. Check the connections to make sure all cables are connected correctly. Also, try adjusting the input volume from the media player you are using or from the sound control panel in your system tray.

Q: Can I use Edifier speakers on other devices like Sony PlayStation?, CD players, TVs, etc?

A
: Yes, you can use all Edifier speakers on almost any device if you have the proper adapter. One side of the adapter should be a 3.5mm female jack, and the other will be what ever you are trying to use (ie; 1 1/4'', RCA, etc). You can purchase an adapter at a local electronics store.

Q: How do I clean my Edifier speakers?

A
: Safety Warning! Ensure system is unplugged from AC wall outlet before cleaning! It is recommended that a soft dry cloth be used to wipe all surfaces. For more stubborn stains a slightly damp soft cloth with a mild dish soap solution may be used. DO NOT use lacquer thinner, alcohol, benzene, thinners, gasoline, or any abrasive cleaner, as the finish will be damaged. The Edifier Warranty does not cover such damage to the finish of the speakers. DO NOT use excessive water on the cleaning cloth due to electrical safety.

Q: My Edifier system is magnetically shielded, what does this mean?

A
: It is impossible to completely eliminate all the stray magnetic fields from a moving coil speaker. The reason for this is the permanent magnets used in the motor systems of moving coil drivers cause stray magnetic fields that can extend at significant strengths beyond the walls of the enclosures. If the speaker is placed close to a normal TV or computer monitor (not a plasma or LCD screen), these stray fields can distort the picture on the screen.

To prevent this happening, the individual magnets of each driver must be shielded. In the most common type of structure, using a ring magnet, this involves gluing an extra magnet on the back plate of the main magnet, magnetized in the opposite polarity. A steel cup is placed over the whole magnet structure, the inside of the base being glued to the rear of the second magnet, and the sides extending close to the top plate, thus reducing the stray magnetic fields to an acceptable level.
If you do suffer picture distortion from stray magnetic fields, the only option is to place the speaker a little further from the TV or PC monitor, as some screens are more sensitive than others.

Q: My Edifier System can sometimes make some unwanted noises, why?

A
: "Noise" is a general term referring to any sound a speaker system makes that is not part of the original source material. There are many different types and sources of noise, each with its own solutions. Below is an explanation of the most common types of noise, what causes them, and how to minimize their occurrence and effects.

Hum or Buzz
There are four common causes of humming and buzzing:

1. Sound card If the humming or buzzing gets louder or softer with changes in the volume setting, this is an indication of noise coming from the sound card. In this case, check all of the connections to the sound card to make sure they are all completely plugged in and secure. Then, adjust the level setting of the sound mixer to obtain the best performance. Generally, you should leave your CD volume settings in the mixer at full and reduce the sound card's master output level down. For information on doing this, please refer to your sound card manufacturer's documentation.

2. Unused input cables If you are not using all of the source inputs to your speaker system (such as using a 5.1 speaker system with a 4 channel sound card), the unused input cables will tend to pick up noise.

3. High-power devices If you are using other high powered devices on the same electrical circuit, they may be causing hum or buzz. If so, discontinue their use while you are using your speaker system. Examples of such devices include microwave ovens, halogen lamps, power tools, etc.
Also note that high-power devices with dimmer switches (such as halogen torchiere lamps) will cause an especially pronounced buzzing effect. To minimize hum or buzz, make sure that the dimmer switch on these products is either all the way on or off.

4. Electric Polarity In many countries, the US being one, the electrical power grid is polarized. In these countries, the power plugs are designed so they can only be inserted into the wall socket in a single direction. For example, in the US one of the plug blades is larger than the other. To avoid humming and buzzing, both your computer and speaker system must be properly plugged into polarized outlets. If your wall outlets do not have polarized plugs, as in the case of many older homes, and you are using adapters to plug these power cords into the wall, it is possible that the polarity of either your computer or your speaker system is reversed. In many other countries, such as most of the European Continent, wall sockets are not polarized at all - making it even more difficult to properly match the computer and speaker system.
To solve the problem you will need to remove the power plug from the wall outlet, rotate the plug 180�, and re-insert it into the wall. Try this for your speaker system power cord, your computer power cord, or both. You should be able to find a combination that will eliminate the humming and buzzing

Pops and Clicks
There are three main causes of pops and clicks:

1. Sound Card Many pops and clicks are created by the sound card. There are two common causes: sound card quality, and older or mismatched drivers. If the overall volume level of the pops and clicks goes up and down as you change the volume on the speaker system, the noise is being generated by your sound card. Lower quality sound cards don't include the necessary circuitry to cleanly remove noise from the sound output. If you are using an older or lower quality sound card, it is suggested upgrading your sound card.

The other primary cause is older or mismatched drivers. Make sure you are using the latest drivers for your sound card usually available from the manufacturer's website.

2. Multi-tasking If you are running more than one program on your computer that accesses the sound system at the same time, small pops and clicks can be common. This is a function of your computer and/or sound card. A common example is using a program that generates occasional audio feedback (such as beeps or other sound effects) while listening to an MP3 track in the background. The solution is to turn off audio feedback in the first application so that the background MP3 track is uninterrupted.

Stutter

A stuttering sound track is an indication of either insufficient or conflicting computer resources. Check to make sure that your computer has sufficient processor power and memory to handle the applications you are running, especially if you are using a software DVD player. De-fragmenting your hard drive may also help. If you are sure you have sufficient resources, check to make sure that you don't have any conflicting IRQ or DMA channels.

Hiss

All high-powered amplification devices - everything from multimedia systems to home theater systems to movie theater sound systems -- generate some level of background noise, or hiss. In addition, low quality sound cards with poor signal-to-noise ratios can generate a significant amount of steady hiss that is reproduced on the speakers. Under normal conditions at a normal listening distance, the hiss coming from the sound system should not be noticeable. In a very quiet room, or if you place your ear very close to the speaker, you may hear a very low level hiss. This is normal, but should be completely masked by normal music and game sounds. Also, note that the satellites in most Edifier speaker products are designed to be wall-mounted. Wall mounting the speakers provides two benefits: 1) it moves the all of the satellites further away from your listening position, making any hiss less noticeable and 2) it moves all of the satellites further away from each other, providing better channel separation and surround sound ambiance.

Edifier Support

If you need any clarifications on the FAQ or if you have any problems relating to it, do post here.

Thank you.
lswang
post Dec 3 2006, 10:20 PM

On my way
627 posts

I bought an M3300 speaker at KLCC pcfair today. When i opened the box at home, i found out that the warranty card is inside the box unfilled. If something is wrong with my speaker, how do i claim the warranty?
kko217
post Dec 4 2006, 10:49 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(lswang @ Dec 3 2006, 10:20 PM)
I bought an M3300 speaker at KLCC pcfair today. When i opened the box at home, i found out that the warranty card is inside the box unfilled. If something is wrong with my speaker, how do i claim the warranty?
Juz present ur purchase invoice will do...
lswang
post Dec 4 2006, 12:37 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(kko217 @ Dec 4 2006, 10:49 AM)
Juz present ur purchase invoice will do...
I don't have the invoice, but i have the receipt. does the receipt work. and the receipt got my speaker serial number and the date i bought. will the receipt work?
Sorry, i am new to it. blush.gif
ykcheah
post Dec 4 2006, 01:37 PM

27 posts

QUOTE(lswang @ Dec 4 2006, 12:37 PM)
I don't have the invoice, but i have the receipt. does the receipt work. and the receipt got my speaker serial number and the date i bought. will the receipt work?
Sorry, i am new to it. blush.gif
If u have the receipt is ok already,don't worry. laugh.gif

megadisc
post Jan 21 2007, 05:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,342 posts

i hear static from my speakers ???

how to ground my cables leh ????
blackshirt
post Jan 21 2007, 09:30 PM

Goodwell Car Detailer
1,313 posts

QUOTE(megadisc @ Jan 21 2007, 05:06 PM)
i hear static from my speakers ???

how to ground my cables leh ????
How to hear static? blush.gif
megadisc
post Jan 28 2007, 04:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,342 posts

QUOTE(blackshirt @ Jan 21 2007, 10:30 PM)
How to hear static? blush.gif
it's more like hissing sound lah . .

but it's driving me crazy ???

any ideas ??? icon_question.gif
blackshirt
post Jan 29 2007, 07:17 AM

Goodwell Car Detailer
1,313 posts

QUOTE(megadisc @ Jan 28 2007, 04:47 PM)
it's more like hissing sound lah . .

but it's driving me crazy ???

any ideas ???  icon_question.gif
Hissing sound should be the connector / board having problem smile.gif
xterminator
post Jan 29 2007, 08:59 PM

=What a small box in here=
793 posts

My R401 gt somthing wrong when i turn on 3/4 of the volume n bass at 2'clock!! The sub produce some plastik sound that very disturbing for me!!! If i press hard at the plastik in front of the speaker, the plastik sound gone!!! i compare wit my other fren wit the same R401 but his sub doesn't produce weird plastik sound but mine's will!!! Can i request 4 open the plastik 4 me!!! I will come after chinese new year!!! Thank you for listening my story!!!
nismo91
post Jan 29 2007, 09:24 PM

foobar2000
2,193 posts

Hi, does the plastik sound means the plastik is vibrating?
If it's im also suffering from this "sickness" before, but i could cure it by putting a metal netting and remove the plastic cover. (it would be ugly then)

If it's what you mean, i have a picture describing it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
blackshirt
post Jan 29 2007, 10:05 PM

Goodwell Car Detailer
1,313 posts

QUOTE(xterminator @ Jan 29 2007, 08:59 PM)
My R401 gt somthing wrong when i turn on 3/4 of the volume n bass at 2'clock!! The sub produce some plastik sound that very disturbing for me!!! If i press hard at the plastik in front of the speaker, the plastik sound gone!!! i compare wit my other fren wit the same R401 but his sub doesn't produce weird plastik sound but mine's will!!! Can i request 4 open the plastik 4 me!!! I will come after chinese new year!!! Thank you for listening my story!!!
Just remove the plastic la, happy CNY rclxms.gif
xterminator
post Jan 30 2007, 05:39 PM

793 posts

Can i go to the showroom to ask someone to help me open it or not? I dun knw how to open it!!!
Edifier
post Jan 30 2007, 06:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
8,536 posts

QUOTE(xterminator @ Jan 30 2007, 05:39 PM)
Can i go to the showroom to ask someone to help me open it or not? I dun knw how to open it!!!
What plastic??
nismo91
post Jan 30 2007, 07:13 PM

foobar2000
2,193 posts

should be the front cover of... R401...

Edifier
post Jan 31 2007, 11:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
8,536 posts

QUOTE(nismo91 @ Jan 30 2007, 07:13 PM)
should be the front cover of... R401...
I C, just pull it out.
xterminator
post Jan 31 2007, 03:20 PM

793 posts

The black cloth with plastik in front the sub!!! Can u take it out 4 me?? I scare will spoilt it n void warranty!!! Tq
Edifier
post Jan 31 2007, 04:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
8,536 posts

QUOTE(xterminator @ Jan 31 2007, 03:20 PM)
The black cloth with plastik in front the sub!!! Can u take it out 4 me?? I scare will spoilt it n void warranty!!! Tq
Just pull it out and if will not spoilt the spk.
phwee223
post Apr 17 2007, 06:56 PM

Getting Started
231 posts

my satelite come out with jert sound when sound is playing why? The jert sound come from Front right satelite speaker. I had try plug and unplug my cable correctly it still the same. unless unplug the front right satelite =.="

i using creative sound blaster Live external, and using edifier M3500,both unit just recently bought from PC fair.
kunpango
post Jun 29 2008, 10:48 PM

3 posts

Hi

I recently bought a 5.1 edifier speaker system and wanted to use it with my tv. I am having problem because the edifier requires 3 input channels and the tv only has one output. How can get all 5 speakers working with tv?

Thanx

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0186sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:57 PM