Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

HP Pavillion DV6-6XXX series Owners Lounge V2, - 91 owners!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

views

TSAcid_RuleZz
post Jul 1 2011, 03:49 AM

ミウ ❤
6,610 posts

Long post is long.. read carefully
Source: FAQ: Consolidated thread w/FAQ on 61xx switchable graphics + advice to potential 61xx buyers

UPDATED 6/30/2011

I thought I might centralise the discussion for those who ask as whether they should buy the DV6/7 61xx or refund their order as I think the switchable graphics thread has become a little confusing for newcomers.

Status of switching on 6770m: As it stands (as of AMD catalyst driver release 11.6) graphical switching for programs that use OpenGL as their SOLE graphic engine will not run on the 6770m discrete graphics card (dGPU). Instead, those programs will only run on the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics card (IGP) and therefore will not run optimally.

As you have probably gathered MANUAL SWITCHING DOES NOT WORK ON DV6/7 61xx AT ALL so we can't override the dynamic switching in place.

OpenGL programs that will use Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics
  • Minecraft
  • Adobe CS Suite
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Quake Live
Not an exhaustive list by any means. There may be a number of graphical creation/manipulation/3D modelling programs out there that also run solely on OpenGL and will therefore not run well on the 61xx. but bear in mind the following:
  • Most Windows games run on DirectX which works fine with the 6770m.
  • Most modern Windows games that can run on OpenGL will also have the option for you to run through DirectX.
Other annoying issues:
Currently, the 6770m will not register clock and memory speeds properly on monitoring software such as GPU-Z. Benchmarking/stress testing software such as Furmark will not run well at all (OpenGL) and if you bench with any 3DMark software the results screen will show that it's just tested your Intel HD 3000 (which it hasn't, it'll have benched your 6770m, but because under the muxless design, your Intel IGP is always on, it recognises the IGP first, and not your 6770m - more on mux and muxless designs below).

Also, you cannot overclock the 6770m in the 61xx whereas you can in the 6xxx range.

Does the switching problem only affect 1080 resolution models?
No, 768 models are affected too.

Should you buy/return?

If you:
  • Surf the net and play modern Windows games (with exception of Minecraft) -You're fine as the 6770m will cater for most of your needs but you have to understand your dGPU is crippled to an extent should you ever need OpenGL acceleration.
  • Play games and use graphical content creation software such as Adobe's suite of products - Problematic - would definitely not buy or would return.
  • Do a mixture of everything above - if you have programs that run on OpenGL my advice would be not to buy. Why buy a laptop that's not working at its full potential?
When will HP or AMD fix this issue?
This is the hard part and it's anybody's guess at the moment as HP and AMD have not made public they are aware of this issue. Through the complaints that all of us have fed back to HP and AMD I'm sure they're aware of it. Some hope that by the release of the 11.7 catalyst drivers due out in July this may be fixed but it's all speculation at this point.

But this disclaimer on AMD's switchable graphics web page does not give hope to a resolution anytime soon:

"With AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics technology, full enablement of all discrete graphics video and display features may not be supported on all systems (e.g. OpenGL applications will run on the integrated GPU or the APU as the case may be). Always check with your system manufacturer for specific mode capabilities and supported technologies."
AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics Technology

Are other laptops from other manufacturers affected in the same way?
Yes. Any new laptop with the AMD muxless graphics switching design will have this problem, regardless of brand.
Here are a few examples:
ATI GPU doesn't work on E520 - Lenovo Community
IdeaStorm | Update Vostro 3550 AMD 6630/Intel HD 3000 Switchable Drivers

What is mux (manual) and muxless (dynamic) graphics switching? Is it a matter of it being a driver or hardware based issue?
bsoft explains it better than I can here - edited for brevity and accuracy:
QUOTE(Originally Posted by bsoft )
No, this is a driver issue plain and simple.

The 6000 series uses the old mux-based switchable graphics. That means that both GPUs (the Radeon and the Intel) are connected to a mux, and the mux connects to the display. When you switch graphics you are changing which GPU connects to the display.

The 6100 series uses a muxless design. This is the same basic design as NVIDIA Optimus. What that means is that the Radeon GPU renders into memory, but the Intel GPU is used for outputting the final image. This is the key here - the Intel GPU is always active, it's just that the Radeon does the rendering work when it's selected.

Clearly the problem is that AMD hasn't gotten working OpenGL support with the muxless design. That's probably because they didn't have the software engineering resources it with Optimus, so it's not even an issue with Windows. It's just a matter of AMD getting the driver support right to get it done right away. Since most games on Windows are Direct3D (not OpenGL), it makes sense to focus on that first. But rest assured that there is nothing intrinsic to the muxless design that makes OpenGL impossible. NVIDIA doe

You are never going to be able to switch purely to the Radeon graphics like you can on the 6000 series. The muxless technology doesn't work that way. You may at some point be able to force-select the Radeon GPU, but the Intel GPU will still be active.

The downsides of the muxless design are driver issues (Optimus users went through this), slightly lower performance (a couple of percent - not really noticeable), and basically no support for the dedicated GPU under non-Windows operating systems (there are significant issues in Linux that make doing muxless designs harder, and the engineering resources are not there).

The upsides of the muxless design are much quicker and more transparent switching, better driver support in the long term (the mux-based design is laptop specific and rely on hacks that Microsoft doesn't really support), and lower cost.

If you use OpenGL programs or games (other than those which run fine on the Intel GPU), don't buy a dv6-6100 or any muxless Radeon graphics laptop.

I need a laptop that can run OpenGL now...what are my other options?
Most laptops with discrete graphics (integrated graphics can run too but performance will take a hit) can run OpenGL with the exception of the new AMD muxless 6xxx series cards, which should be fixed shortly.
Some comparably spec-ed laptops (prices will vary)

• XPS 15 or 17 (15 uses the nvidia 540m I think which is weaker than the 6770m and the 17 can be upgradable to the 555m which is on par with the 6770m)
  • Asus G53SW-A1/G73 - bigger, bulkier 15 and 17 inch laptops but with a superior nvidia 460m card
  • Look up Sager for their range of high performance laptops
  • HP's own DV6z, which uses AMD's new Llano. Graphics power seems to be comparable to DV6t but the CPU is weaker in general
  • Lenovo Ideapad y570 (uses the nvidia 555m)
  • Lenovo Ideapad y560p (uses a less powerful AMD 6 series card but CPU specs otherwise the same as DV6/7T - cheaper alternative)

I want to upgrade my 6770m to the latest Catalyst Mobility Drivers
Official released: 11.6 (5/24/11) AMD Catalyst 11.6 WHQL (8.861 May 24) - Download & Discussion - Guru3D.com Forums
Beta leaked drivers: Either a 11.6 hotfix RC or a 11.7 RC (6/8/2011) Catalyst 8.862 RC (08 June) - Guru3D.com Forums

Note: DO NOT install these drivers without having installed the HP supplied drivers first. The HP supplied drivers include the Intel IGP drivers, which the official driver packs from AMD don't include

If anyone else would like to add to this FAQ of sorts please let me know and I can add.

Added on July 1, 2011, 4:29 am
QUOTE(T0mmytky @ Jul 1 2011, 03:44 AM)
no image for opera because it's normal

those pictures are from Firefox and Chrome, both same thing

Just tested with IE, it is also normal...

not sure why only Firefox and chrome have this problem, quite irritating sad.gif
Any link to the video? i want to try with my Chrome.

This post has been edited by Acid_RuleZz: Jul 1 2011, 04:29 AM
Momojii
post Jul 1 2011, 07:24 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(Acid_RuleZz @ Jul 1 2011, 03:49 AM)
Source: FAQ: Consolidated thread w/FAQ on 61xx switchable graphics + advice to potential 61xx buyers

UPDATED 6/30/2011

I thought I might centralise the discussion for those who ask as whether they should buy the DV6/7 61xx or refund their order as I think the switchable graphics thread has become a little confusing for newcomers.

Status of switching on 6770m: As it stands (as of AMD catalyst driver release 11.6) graphical switching for programs that use OpenGL as their SOLE graphic engine will not run on the 6770m discrete graphics card (dGPU). Instead, those programs will only run on the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics card (IGP) and therefore will not run optimally.

As you have probably gathered MANUAL SWITCHING DOES NOT WORK ON DV6/7 61xx AT ALL so we can't override the dynamic switching in place.

• Minecraft
  • Adobe CS Suite
  • Quake Live
Not an exhaustive list by any means. There may be a number of graphical creation/manipulation/3D modelling programs out there that also run solely on OpenGL and will therefore not run well on the 61xx. but bear in mind the following:

• Most modern Windows games that can run on OpenGL will also have the option for you to run through DirectX.
Other annoying issues:
Currently, the 6770m will not register clock and memory speeds properly on monitoring software such as GPU-Z. Benchmarking/stress testing software such as Furmark will not run well at all (OpenGL) and if you bench with any 3DMark software the results screen will show that it's just tested your Intel HD 3000 (which it hasn't, it'll have benched your 6770m, but because under the muxless design, your Intel IGP is always on, it recognises the IGP first, and not your 6770m - more on mux and muxless designs below).

Also, you cannot overclock the 6770m in the 61xx whereas you can in the 6xxx range.

Should you buy/return?

If you:

• Surf the net and play modern Windows games (with exception of Minecraft) -You're fine as the 6770m will cater for most of your needs but you have to understand your dGPU is crippled to an extent should you ever need OpenGL acceleration.
  • Play games and use graphical content creation software such as Adobe's suite of products - Problematic - would definitely not buy or would return.
  • Do a mixture of everything above - if you have programs that run on OpenGL my advice would be not to buy. Why buy a laptop that's not working at its full potential?
This is the hard part and it's anybody's guess at the moment as HP and AMD have not made public they are aware of this issue. Through the complaints that all of us have fed back to HP and AMD I'm sure they're aware of it. Some hope that by the release of the 11.7 catalyst drivers due out in July this may be fixed but it's all speculation at this point.

But this disclaimer on AMD's switchable graphics web page does not give hope to a resolution anytime soon:

"With AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics technology, full enablement of all discrete graphics video and display features may not be supported on all systems (e.g. OpenGL applications will run on the integrated GPU or the APU as the case may be). Always check with your system manufacturer for specific mode capabilities and supported technologies."

Yes. Any new laptop with the AMD muxless graphics switching design will have this problem, regardless of brand.
Here are a few examples:

What is mux (manual) and muxless (dynamic) graphics switching? Is it a matter of it being a driver or hardware based issue?

Thanks for explaining... i was totally worried about games. I guess i don't have to then.
ThisIsBoletaria
post Jul 1 2011, 07:31 AM

Getting Started
108 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

So, tl;dr: AMD dropped the ball with their muxless design and are trying to fix it now?
reevephon
post Jul 1 2011, 07:32 AM

I'm a tech Freak
1,719 posts

Is this the reason make me not able to play Counter Strike in full screen mode?
tpl
post Jul 1 2011, 07:59 AM

1,748 posts

QUOTE(RiverDrifte @ Jun 30 2011, 01:51 PM)
1 Hdd bay only bro.
finally got u answer me... lol thx bro ur the man.
TSAcid_RuleZz
post Jul 1 2011, 09:43 AM

ミウ ❤
6,610 posts

QUOTE(ThisIsBoletaria @ Jul 1 2011, 07:31 AM)
So, tl;dr: AMD dropped the ball with their muxless design and are trying to fix it now?
Don't even know if AMD/HP trying to fix this. All anticipated a fix in upcoming 11.7 Catalyst or Bios update from HP. doh.gif

QUOTE(reevephon @ Jul 1 2011, 07:32 AM)

Is this the reason make me not able to play Counter Strike in full screen mode?
Not even related.. you can use the tool that Lee's posted few pages back and set the scaling to fullscreen.

Added on July 1, 2011, 10:09 am
QUOTE(RiverDrifte @ Jun 30 2011, 07:40 PM)
Acid  rclxms.gif i think you are the best candid to try

CCC 11.7 Early Build
So.. i become a ratlab again.

No problem encountered while installing.
Ran few benchmarks@stock clocks.

Dirt 3
49 Fps
3Dmark06
3DMarkVantage
P7133
3DMark11
P1577
Final Fantasy XIV

Also.. a noticeable gain in Tropico 3 and The Witcher 2.

By the way.. Shift 2 DLC ish aweshum.
The Legend car pack is beautiful. wub.gif

This post has been edited by Acid_RuleZz: Jul 1 2011, 10:10 AM
jacob521
post Jul 1 2011, 10:10 AM

Getting Started
270 posts

Morning peep~~ good day for everyone.

UPDATED 6/30/2011

• Minecraft
  • Adobe CS Suite
  • Quake Live

Other annoying issues:

Should you buy/return?

If you:

Here are a few examples:

very nice acid~ thanks for the article. thumbup.gif

guys, am very bad luck, last night when my laptop hang, it freeze at "restoring system registry" during doing system restore with my external HD backup disk,
at first i try not interrupt my laptop but after 2 hour its still hang there (the round circle waiting icon don't even rounding circle) then i decide to sleep.
when i wake up this morning the screen still showing same thing, i am trying force reboot & tada ~~ i cant boot in to window anymore lol sweat.gif

then i try to boot with the recovery dvd and my external backup disk both also fail, sweat.gif
am now downloading a system repair disk ISO to burn into cd to try again after work,
hopefully the system repair cd will work for my laptop. thumbup.gif
SUSngkhanmein
post Jul 1 2011, 10:14 AM

カラカラ Karakara
7,727 posts

Acid_RuleZz.. did u OC ur card? i bet u use current stock right? u play dirt 3 use what setting?
TSAcid_RuleZz
post Jul 1 2011, 10:32 AM

ミウ ❤
6,610 posts

QUOTE(ngkhanmein @ Jul 1 2011, 10:14 AM)
Acid_RuleZz.. did u OC ur card? i bet u use current stock right? u play dirt 3 use what setting?
Yeah i OC my card. hmm.gif

Dirt 3 with
Particles & Mirrors = Medium
Others = High/Ultra
AA = 2xMSAA
AF = 8x
SUSngkhanmein
post Jul 1 2011, 10:35 AM

カラカラ Karakara
7,727 posts

u use core/memory? 47 fps is great score.. i also can't get it.. all medium & off AA & AF & vsync get 50 fps nia..
the highest guy OC 6770M >> http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1450218

This post has been edited by ngkhanmein: Jul 1 2011, 10:38 AM
faridz7
post Jul 1 2011, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
132 posts

acid, cheers for the FAQ post, much appreciated

lets hope the next update will give us what we want and hope for !
T0mmytky
post Jul 1 2011, 01:22 PM

8 posts

UPDATED 6/30/2011

• Minecraft

• Adobe CS Suite

• Quake Live

Other annoying issues:

Should you buy/return?

If you:

Here are a few examples:

Acid, I actually open any videos in youtube, it will be like that... and another thing is the actual clickable "toggle fullscreen" button in the youtube player can only be click on the black bar, the button I actually see which is before the black bar is linked to the button before the fullscreen button which is the "resolution changing button"... it's weird I know... I dont even know how to explain it properly lol

In IE and Opera, it's fine but this problem only on Chrome and Firefox sad.gif

UPDATED

Sifu lee again, solved my problem lol, didnt know it can be solved that easily lol

Quote from sifu lee:
Can you try right click the flash, settings, then go to the leftmost tab, and disable hardware acceleration?

Problem solved! Thanks a lot to everyone who helped smile.gif

This post has been edited by T0mmytky: Jul 1 2011, 03:17 PM
SUSngkhanmein
post Jul 1 2011, 02:29 PM

カラカラ Karakara
7,727 posts

did u update ur flash player? (activex & plugin)
T0mmytky
post Jul 1 2011, 02:35 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(ngkhanmein @ Jul 1 2011, 02:29 PM)
did u update ur flash player? (activex & plugin)
ya, it's up to date (version 10.3.181)
sad.gif
ITrocks
post Jul 1 2011, 03:07 PM

Getting Started
273 posts

Hey guys, an annoying issue is that sometimes when I start typing and I type 'b' it turns off my beats (even though I didn't press the Fn button). Anyway to disable this?
SUSbabyrabies
post Jul 1 2011, 03:08 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

Hi ppl, im totally satisfied wif this laptop. Only gripe is the minute eject button on the BD. No hardware problem so far.
Everything runnin smooth, runnin cool.
SUSngkhanmein
post Jul 1 2011, 03:13 PM

カラカラ Karakara
7,727 posts

something due to ur ati driver? r u installed properly? cos i dun have switchable graphics..
ITrocks
post Jul 1 2011, 03:25 PM

Getting Started
273 posts

My laptop also does not have coolsense installed :S When I click on it, it says that it can't find thermalassistant.exe. Does anyone know where I can download it?
junkieG
post Jul 1 2011, 03:45 PM

DIGITAL ERA
2,687 posts

wow....tried crisis2....damn the game play is good. however,

i only feel that "advance" mode for graphics is smoother then hardcore. is it normal?

i played in 1366x768...

just got my extra ram 4gb at rm80...nice!
SUSngkhanmein
post Jul 1 2011, 03:52 PM

カラカラ Karakara
7,727 posts

advance mode mean u enable A.I??

126 Pages « < 29 30 31 32 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0309sec    0.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:35 AM