Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

71 Pages « < 41 42 43 44 45 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Renovation Extreme Work In Progress, Sharing my house renovation journey.

views

skng03
post Mar 8 2012, 04:24 PM

Regular
1,450 posts

QUOTE(sovietmah @ Mar 8 2012, 03:51 PM)
ya true, i saw this when my contractor fix my bathroom.
sika seal 107 will cost at least rm80 per set with 20kg cement powder + 4.5L susu
tomjason
post Mar 8 2012, 04:41 PM

Enthusiast
715 posts

QUOTE(skng03 @ Mar 8 2012, 04:24 PM)
sika seal 107 will cost at least rm80 per set with 20kg cement powder + 4.5L susu
the price i cant remember...i hv to check my bill....i kept every single resit 99%..the 1% the rest misplace..

This post has been edited by tomjason: Mar 8 2012, 04:42 PM
techassist
post Mar 8 2012, 06:33 PM

Getting Started
198 posts

Hi, just managed to read thru all your posts from page 1 to 43 in 3 days...(curi tulang while working)...a good share and step by step updates...hope u r a happy man living in a nice house....enjoy...
TSphoenix69
post Mar 9 2012, 12:42 PM

Regular
1,836 posts

Renovation Updates :-

Water - the quest for clean residential household water

After washing clean my water tank, I asked the plumber to optimize my existing water piping system.
There were 2 things that I wanted done.

1. To maximise the water flow with the right pipe in and out from my Groundfos pump.
- The existing pipes was not optimized so, re-do the pipes.

2. To add in a main water by pass as illustrated by zheilwane below so that when there is electricity cut, water pressure will still be sufficient to flow up my solar water heater, and thus assure that I will still get hot water when there is no electricity. This also ensures that water pressure is sufficient to power my shower when electricity's out.

zheilwane illustration main water by pass piping system

user posted image

Water - Part 3:- POP (Point of Piping - My own term tongue.gif ) - Adventures in my Attic Part 2

Drilling a hole at the bottom of my water tank for a new pipe attachment.
user posted image

Pipes attached
user posted image

Add valve
user posted image

Connect to pump (booster pump)
user posted image

Pump connect to the whole house piping system
user posted image

Install a main water by pass with a non return valve (the yellow colour part) from the main incoming water pipe direct to the pump outgoing pipe direct to the whole house piping system.
user posted image

My POP water piping system , kaw thim icon_rolleyes.gif
user posted image icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by phoenix69: Mar 9 2012, 12:45 PM
shawnsean
post Mar 9 2012, 09:01 PM

Getting Started
197 posts

Silly question, what's the purpose of the non returning valve?
TSphoenix69
post Mar 10 2012, 12:37 AM

Regular
1,836 posts

QUOTE(shawnsean @ Mar 9 2012, 09:01 PM)
Silly question, what's the purpose of the non returning valve?
Ok.. I can't say for sure as I just follow zheilwane chart, but logically, the function of the valve should be to prevent water from flowing back the other way.
As you observed in the picture, the non return valve is actually attached to the pipe linking the mains water pipe that is pumping water in from the outside main water line, to the pipe where the booster pump is pumping out water supplying the whole house.
If the water pressure from the booster pump is stronger than the main water pipe pressure then water will be pumped back out to the mains outside, and we do not want that. shakehead.gif
This way with the non return valve water are allowed to flows only one way outside to inside and not the other way back out.

Err... not sure if you get me, but think about it. smile.gif
zheilwane
post Mar 10 2012, 01:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,129 posts

wow, great photos and explanation phoenix, u r totally rite. So, everything OK with ur pump and solar now?

Another thing members, you will need minimum 1" pipe for your booster pump, some pumps required 1 1/4 or 1 1/2".

This post has been edited by zheilwane: Mar 10 2012, 01:53 AM
JinXXX
post Mar 11 2012, 11:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,513 posts

nice smile.gif so nice your roof area can hold such a big tank...
leeyung
post Mar 11 2012, 12:09 PM

1st LYN Pioneer Genuine Marimo Seller
885 posts

I envy on your big roof area that can hold many tanks hahahahaha nice sharing bro! show us some powerful of water pump if possible tongue.gif

This post has been edited by leeyung: Mar 11 2012, 12:13 PM
zheilwane
post Mar 11 2012, 08:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,129 posts

yeah, some photos and videos of the Top Range Grundfos Model that u bought smile.gif
tomjason
post Mar 12 2012, 09:55 AM

Enthusiast
715 posts

QUOTE(phoenix69 @ Mar 10 2012, 12:37 AM)
Ok.. I can't say for sure as I just follow zheilwane chart, but logically, the function of the valve should be to prevent water from flowing back the other way.
As you observed in the picture, the non return valve is actually attached to the pipe linking the mains water pipe that is pumping water in from the outside main water line, to the pipe where the booster pump is pumping out water supplying the whole house.
If the water pressure from the booster pump is stronger than the main water pipe pressure then water will be pumped back out to the mains outside, and we do not want that.  shakehead.gif
This way with the non return valve water are allowed to flows only one way outside to inside and not the other way back out.

Err... not sure if you get me, but think about it.  smile.gif
TQ for sharing..nice pic.....as far as i know the valve is called 'check valve'....

from the pic...i notice..the new outlet from tank..usually the tank itself there are 4 ready 'part (flat portion) ' to put the outlet..i m afraid that your new outlet is drill not at the flat portion of the tank. afraid later after few years..might leak..

This post has been edited by tomjason: Mar 12 2012, 10:11 AM
TSphoenix69
post Mar 12 2012, 10:27 AM

Regular
1,836 posts

QUOTE(tomjason @ Mar 12 2012, 09:55 AM)
TQ for sharing..nice pic.....as far as i know the valve is called 'check valve'....

from the pic...i notice..the new outlet from tank..usually the tank itself there are 4 ready 'part (flat portion) ' to put the outlet..i m afraid that your new outlet is drill not at the flat portion of the tank. afraid later after few years..might leak..
Dunno about that but so far ok wor. blink.gif
Anyway, Hopefully if it last more than 10 years then maybe I'll change. smile.gif
craftsnknots
post Mar 12 2012, 12:43 PM

On my way
577 posts

QUOTE(tomjason @ Mar 12 2012, 10:55 AM)

Yup, you are right, they are called check valve technically, 'non-returning valve' in layman term. We use this alot in our plant
TSphoenix69
post Mar 19 2012, 01:05 PM

Regular
1,836 posts

Renovation Updates :-

Water - the quest for clean residential household water

Finally after getting all my incoming water optimized, finally i come to the last and most important part, drinking water.

Water - Part 4:- POU (Point of Use ) - Drinking water

After doing my research here
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1918768/+780

I decided to go for filtered water and not RO or alkaline water.
My philosophy is do not need to go overboard, my ancestors has been drinking water with minerals, I'll do the same. blush.gif
That being said, the water filtered must still meet good drinking water standard.
The standard being referred to by almost everyone is the NSF standard.
For the type of drinking water I am going for NSF 53 standard applies.

I researched around and most filter with (some without) NSF 53 certified cost RM2K and above doh.gif
I finally found this rarely mentioned water filter product (from USA) .
Its NSF 53 certified (Double checked on NSF website), a very established brand in USA.
Got lots of good review from the net.
Can get the replacement filter cheaper if I get from Singapore.
Price works out to RM0.09/liter.
The Malaysian installers provide an additional ceramic filter (they say Malaysian water quality needs this).
The main plus point its the price. thumbup.gif

The water filters parts.
user posted image

The main Aquasana water filter unit
user posted image

The drinking water tap - going for under counter configuration
user posted image

The underside of the drinking water tap, 3 pipe type (when the watertap is turned off/down, it also restrict water from going in to the filter, I understand that this water filter is not designed to work under constant water pressure)
user posted image

The water source from the kitchen faucet under piping. Unattached for instalattion.
user posted image

Attach a 3 way valve - to divert water to water filter
user posted image

Water first goes through a ceramic filter (Doulton -from UK)
user posted image

Then only to the main Aquasana water filter
user posted image

The water filter located under the counter
user posted image

NSF 53 Certified Drinking Water icon_rolleyes.gif
user posted image
des1662
post Mar 19 2012, 03:58 PM

34 posts

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this renovation journey.
vetkin_gray
post Mar 19 2012, 04:26 PM

Enthusiast
766 posts

phoenix gor, how much the water filter
TSphoenix69
post Mar 20 2012, 12:20 AM

Regular
1,836 posts

QUOTE(vetkin_gray @ Mar 19 2012, 04:26 PM)
phoenix gor, how much the water filter
Half the price I've mentioned. Cheap liao.. biggrin.gif
You can see the price here
http://www.aquasana.com.my/

LadySC
post Mar 20 2012, 02:07 PM

12 posts

Wow great work there.. tongue.gif
Did you get different contractor to do different things? Or did you have 1 main con to oversee the entire project?

uturn
post Mar 20 2012, 03:08 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

Now what i don't understand is how you restrict water from going in to the filter by turning the watertap off since the water from the main pipe is connected directly to the filter unit.
Appreciate if you could explain further. TQ
TSphoenix69
post Mar 20 2012, 10:06 PM

Regular
1,836 posts

QUOTE(LadySC @ Mar 20 2012, 02:07 PM)
Wow great work there..  tongue.gif
Did you get different contractor to do different things? Or did you have 1 main con to oversee the entire project?
diffrent contractor to do diffrent things. lots of own research, but had fun doing it. biggrin.gif

71 Pages « < 41 42 43 44 45 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0313sec    0.33    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:59 PM