Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
131 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Headphones Headphones / Earphones Recommendation Corner V6, Useful links updated!! (3/6/2011)

views

TSMrJinggles
post Apr 25 2011, 01:10 AM, updated 13y ago

Regular
1,285 posts

Headphones/ Earphones Recomendation Corner V6

This thread serves as a Q&A section for all new/existing audiophiles seeking advice on their next headphone purchase! biggrin.gif

The rules are simple, no flaming/bashing and try not to spam (posting irrelevant post).
You may ask us any headphone/earphone related question, and we will gladly assist you. Don't be shy! wink.gif

When asking, please remember to STATE YOUR BUDGET. Better if you give exact numbers... "not so expensive la" is not considered a budget laugh.gif

Other info such as the following will also be helpful to get faster and more accurate responses:
- Your rig (mp3 players, amps, soundcard etc)
- What type of usage (movies/ gaming/ music etc)
- File format used in your source (i.e. flac, mp3 etc)
- Genre of music you listen to (classical, jazz, metal, etc)
- Headphone/ earphone type (closed, open, cirumaural, IEM etc)
- Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control, 5.1ch, 7.1ch etc)

...or you can just copy and paste the following format when posting:
CODE
- [B]My Rig:[/B]
- [B]Type of usage:[/B]
- [B]File format:[/B]
- [B]Music genre:[/B]
- [B]Budget:[/B]
- [b]Headphone/ earphone type:[/b]
- [b]Other requirements (if any):[/b] 

Best of luck on your headphone/ earphone purchase! smile.gif

Useful links:
Multi IEM review - 172 IEMs reviewed (ljokerl @ Head-Fi)
Shootout - 82 portable headphones reviewed (ljokerl @ Head-Fi)
How to choose the perfect pair of headphones/earphones (lifehacker.com)
To Amp, Or Not to Amp? (inearmatters.net)
Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared (Skylab @ Head-fi)
Custom IEM Resource Thread - Summary Reviews, Info, Custom IEM Manufacturers (average_joe @ Head-Fi)
Multiple IEM shootout v3 (ClieOS - Head-Fi)
Earbuds Guide - 12 Earbuds Compared (swbf2cheater @ Head-Fi)
Glossary of terms for the audiophile (audiolinks.com)

Previous threads for reference:
Recommendation Thread V1
Recommendation Thread V2
Recommendation Thread V3
Recommendation Thread V4
Recommendation Thread V5

Some audio terms used in this thread and their meaning:

Circumaural headphones:
Sometimes called full size headphones, these are made in a circular fashion that surround the ear completely.

Closed back:
Closed back (or sealed) headphones are designed to reduce the effect of external noise on your listening and also to keep the noise made by the headphone drivers from leaking out and disturbing people around you.

Ear Bud:
Ear bud headphones are small in size and are placed directly outside the ear canal.

In Ear Monitors (IEM):
In Ear Monitors (IEM) also known as Ear Canal Headphones (ECH's). These earphones are placed into the ear canal and effectively seal your ear with their small rubberised ear-tip sleeve (can also come with various tips). They are small, lightweight and very portable.

Noise cancelling headphones:
Noise cancelling headphones reduce the perceived noise from outside with the clever use of small microphones located inside the earpiece and active electronics within the headset. The basic principle is that the noise signal for the outside world is inverted and then summed with the signal from the audio source. The result is that the ambient noise from outside is effectively cancelled out, which lets you enjoy your music.

Open back headphones:
Open back headphones (sometimes referred to as vented) are designed to allow sound out through the back of the earcup. This design gives a character to the sound that is often described as having an open soundstage, or natural. One reason for this is that there are less reflections than a closed back (or sealed) design.

Supra aural:
Supra aural headphones have pads that sit on top of the ears, rather than around them.

Source:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/
http://www.wirelessrfheadphones.com/guides...uld-you-choose/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones
http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-7612_7-382-1.html?tag=page;page
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/headphone-...de-by-type.html
http://www.headphonereviews.org/glossary.php

Note: If there's anything you think I should add, send me a PM. cool.gif

This post has been edited by MrJinggles: Jul 11 2011, 10:09 PM
adliazaddin
post Apr 25 2011, 01:55 AM

Casual
329 posts

The Grado is not for you then. You will need closed back headphones. Here are some you can consider.

AKG K430.

JBL REF410.

AKG K404.

--------------------

brother thanks for the rec.. im noob in audiophile... but AKG you recommend didnt score as high as the grado... but again i might be wrong.. just wanna have a headset that is good for my mullah
tunertoobe
post Apr 25 2011, 07:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,309 posts

QUOTE(adliazaddin @ Apr 25 2011, 01:55 AM)
brother thanks for the rec.. im noob in audiophile... but AKG you recommend didnt score as high as the grado... but again i might be wrong.. just wanna have a headset that is good for my mullah
Open backs tend to have a better sound quality.
However, that is not to say they are bad sounding, well engineered they can be good(and equally good sounding).
Also seeing your requirements they will not only sound good but have the added benefit of isolation and quite possibly better comfort.
E1 - AKG
post Apr 25 2011, 07:45 AM

Your personal audio store!
6,439 posts

QUOTE(adliazaddin @ Apr 25 2011, 01:55 AM)
The Grado being an open can is meant for you to appreciate in a quiet environment. If you are moving around in public places, the external noise is going to affect both the sound quality and volume. The leaked sound from the Grado can be a nuisance to the people around you as well.
SUSd3m0n
post Apr 25 2011, 10:52 AM

Just A Member
898 posts

Congrats on V6! Keep it coming guys.
adliazaddin
post Apr 25 2011, 11:26 AM

Casual
329 posts

QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Apr 25 2011, 07:45 AM)
The Grado being an open can is meant for you to appreciate in a quiet environment.  If you are moving around in public places, the external noise is going to affect both the sound quality and volume.  The leaked sound from the Grado can be a nuisance to the people around you as well.
oohh.... now i understand what "the leaked" means.. thanks you bro....

Added on April 25, 2011, 11:27 am
QUOTE(tunertoobe @ Apr 25 2011, 07:03 AM)
Open backs tend to have a better sound quality.
However, that is not to say they are bad sounding, well engineered they can be good(and equally good sounding).
Also seeing your requirements they will not only sound good but have the added benefit of isolation and quite possibly better comfort.
tq for the explanation bro

This post has been edited by adliazaddin: Apr 25 2011, 11:27 AM
crusher
post Apr 25 2011, 03:33 PM

Regular
1,340 posts

Hi guys, I listen to Linkin Park, Green Day, Paramore, sometimes Coldplay and some chinese song. Please recommend an In Ear Monitors OR any type of headphone that suitable for the songs above. Budget wise would be around RM500. Thank you for replies.
E1 - AKG
post Apr 25 2011, 04:48 PM

6,439 posts

QUOTE(crusher @ Apr 25 2011, 03:33 PM)
Hi guys, I listen to Linkin Park, Green Day, Paramore, sometimes Coldplay and some chinese song. Please recommend an In Ear Monitors OR any type of headphone that suitable for the songs above. Budget wise would be around RM500. Thank you for replies.
The award winning AKG K450.

user posted image
loonwern93
post Apr 25 2011, 06:39 PM

30 posts

Newbie here.
Usage: Music and games
Preference: Full size headphone, not earbuds
Budget: RM50 doh.gif ikr

**Off topic**
How can I make my laptop play 5.1 (it has 1 stereo port and 1 mic port only)

Sorry if I sound like a noob sweat.gif

This post has been edited by loonwern93: Apr 25 2011, 06:39 PM
CoolBoy89
post Apr 25 2011, 06:52 PM

Hear No Evil.
1,801 posts

Grado SR80i or Alessandro Ms1i. They are really good for rocks.
tunertoobe
post Apr 25 2011, 11:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,309 posts

What source(player) are you using?
I have a DDM(Radius HP TWF-11R) for sale. New unit replaced by Radius, but only 6 months of warranty left. It is good with rock and metal stuff, but greater with acoustics. Organic string instruments are its forte, but electric guitars are full bodied and well textured. Bass is very very good and very big in these. Tight, fast and controlled. It's an IEM BTW.
Oh and I do listen to Linkin Park with these. biggrin.gif
However fit and comfort may be an issue.

I do believe that Grado and Alessandro as recommended by CoolBoy89 has the slight edge when it comes to rock. They give the distortion of electric guitars that slight more energy. Grado(especially the ones under 125i) tends to be a bit bright though(I own an SR60i). Also they don't isolate(not that the DDM is that much better though. tongue.gif ).

This post has been edited by tunertoobe: Apr 25 2011, 11:41 PM
LK89
post Apr 26 2011, 11:22 AM

Getting Started
57 posts

Hi guys.. imma planning to get a new headphone.. I mainly use it for PS3 gaming and watch anime.. and maybe use it for Fl Studio.. Already owned Turtle Beach DSS for my PS3 to hook it up with any headphone..
Currently owned a Sony xb300 and planning to buy Sennheiser HD380 PRO..

any good suggestion?
thanks..
crusher
post Apr 26 2011, 12:00 PM

Regular
1,340 posts

QUOTE(tunertoobe @ Apr 25 2011, 11:40 PM)
What source(player) are you using?
I have a DDM(Radius HP TWF-11R) for sale. New unit replaced by Radius, but only 6 months of warranty left. It is good with rock and metal stuff, but greater with acoustics. Organic string instruments are its forte, but electric guitars are full bodied and well textured. Bass is very very good and very big in these. Tight, fast and controlled. It's an IEM BTW.
Oh and I do listen to Linkin Park with these.  biggrin.gif
However fit and comfort may be an issue.

I do believe that Grado and Alessandro as recommended by CoolBoy89 has the slight edge when it comes to rock. They give the distortion of electric guitars that slight more energy. Grado(especially the ones under 125i) tends to be a bit bright though(I own an SR60i). Also they don't isolate(not that the DDM is that much better though.  tongue.gif  ).
I'm playing with my desktop. no sound card attach, and can grado/alessandro use on ip4? lol
tunertoobe
post Apr 26 2011, 05:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,309 posts

QUOTE(crusher @ Apr 26 2011, 12:00 PM)
I'm playing with my desktop. no sound card attach, and can grado/alessandro use on ip4? lol
Iphone 4? I hear from many people, even some audiophiles say that as far as handphones go. they're not that bad.
I do find that my SR60i needs slightly more volume on my player to play at a decent volume level. Looking at the specs, the SR80i may require the same thing(more volume). If you're gonna use your Iphone 4 I assume that you're going portable. Sorry, these just suck at isolation. They leak sound in and out and they're rather big. Although I do bring my Grado around just for the fun of it. laugh.gif
The DDM doesn't fair better either. Isolation is better but not as good as you might expect from an IEM, but music can drown out sound given enough volume. Also cable noise is horrendous. But it does sound much better overall. Oh, do note that the DDM that fits your budget is the one I'm selling, so a new DDM won't.

I think you'd be better with something other than these....assuming that I am right with your requirements of portability. I'd say something like a Shure SE215 is a good choice for you. I think it's perfect. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by tunertoobe: Apr 26 2011, 05:53 PM
TSMrJinggles
post Apr 26 2011, 10:03 PM

Regular
1,285 posts

QUOTE(crusher @ Apr 26 2011, 12:00 PM)
Shouldn't have any problem. My iPhone 4 can drive Beyer's DT880 Pro (250ohms) to relatively loud volumes.

This post has been edited by MrJinggles: Apr 26 2011, 10:54 PM
rayray93
post Apr 26 2011, 10:41 PM

1 posts

Hi there! Hope to get some advice:

Rig: MP3/Nokia Xpressmusic Phone Compatible or Laptop usage;
Type of headphones: IEM, preferably with Nokia-Compatible Mic or Circumaural;
Genre: Blues/Jazz and Classical Music (especially for Double Bass/Cello sounds);
Music format: FLAC, mp3 or WMV.
Budget: Below RM100

Funny combination, but i was hoping to get one that I travel around with whilst answering calls. XD THanks!!

This post has been edited by rayray93: Apr 26 2011, 10:41 PM
E1 - AKG
post Apr 26 2011, 11:15 PM

6,439 posts

QUOTE(rayray93 @ Apr 26 2011, 10:41 PM)

Genre: Blues/Jazz and Classical Music (especially for Double Bass/Cello sounds);
Th
Funny combination, but i was hoping to get one that I travel around with whilst answering calls. XD THanks!!
The JBL REF225 does everything you need but its beyond your budget.

user posted image

user posted image

calmshot
post Apr 27 2011, 01:14 AM

My Name Is ...
2,560 posts

QUOTE(rayray93 @ Apr 26 2011, 10:41 PM)

meelectronics M9P come with mic. nod.gif
wadelucy1987
post Apr 27 2011, 10:36 AM

Getting Started
93 posts

Hi..Hope to get some recommendation from u guys..
Rig:Iphone or lappy external sound card.
Type of headphones :only IEM
Genre: Korean songs and english R&B songs
Budget:below RM600... cool2.gif

Pls i need advise asap..My IEM juz spoil... icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

E1 - AKG
post Apr 27 2011, 11:04 AM

6,439 posts

QUOTE(wadelucy1987 @ Apr 27 2011, 10:36 AM)
Hi..Hope to get some recommendation from u guys..
Rig:Iphone or lappy external sound card.
Type of headphones :only IEM
Genre: Korean songs and english R&B songs
Budget:below RM600... cool2.gif

Pls i need advise asap..My IEM juz spoil... icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif
Both the following comes with inline mic and control.

AKG K370 premium earpieces.

user posted image

AKG Q460. Quincy Jones' Signature Line earpieces.

user posted image

131 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0257sec    0.25    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:36 PM