Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
146 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Streamyx Streamyx Capping International Connections, Regardless of type of traffic or usage!

views

TSReuben
post Nov 22 2010, 07:08 PM, updated 14y ago

Firo
667 posts

Dato Zam also responds via BFM Radio 1 December 2010

Also posted with a more details report on my blog.

Dato Zam Interview with BFM

Part on capping is at 37:41 into the interview.

Some excerpts:

Fair Usage means that all our paying customers means they should be treated fairly. Heavy users tend to hog the network at the expense of the non-heavy users. The challenge is how we can implement this best we can and so that it is truly fair for the customer.

On how he is going to resolve the capping issue:

We will find a way out immediately, today we are looking at some parameters that will allow the equilibrium of usage. If it’s still a challenge in the next 1-2 days, I’m going to pull that out first and then we will relook, get feedback from our users and see how we can do this better.

Updated with TM's Official Response on the International Capping.

If you are still experiencing problems you should send your speedtest results to impact@tm.com.my on the 1 December 2010 onwards (e-mail is at the time of writing not up yet).

Best way is to enclose speedtest.net reports from SG and Cyberjaya and compare them with the other MY servers and TM's own speedometer.

Telekom Malaysia Bhd ™ wishes to clarify on our Fair Usage Policy (FUP) and address several comments in the blogosphere on allegations of a  ‘hard cap’ for international bandwidth being enforced by TM.

Firstly, we apologise for the inconvenience that our customers are currently facing on our internet services.

We would like to assure all our customers that it is not, in any way TM’s intention to enforce any ‘hard caps’ on our customers.

As a matter of principle, however, TM needs to abide by a FUP to ensure that the network caters to all customers in a fair manner, and this has been in place for a few years for Streamyx which is a contended, best effort service. This means the Streamyx network is catered to be shared by everybody at any point in time to ensure everybody gets a “fair share” of the bandwidth. Currently UniFi is not affected, as it is a new premium service.

The Streamyx “Fair Usage Policy” is available on our website (http://www.streamyx.com/customer_care/customer_care.php?id=customer_care_fair_usage_policy) and it basically describes the list of specific heavy usage activities (like P2P and gaming) that will be managed during peak periods.

As you all know, this kind of bandwidth management or FUP is a global and common telco and celco industry practice. It is already in place in Malaysia amongst the mobile broadband players and aimed at making sure our broadband service is fast and reliable whenever in use.  It is designed to benefit all users, especially normal or non-heavy users during peak periods, so that all can enjoy higher and fair browsing and surfing speed.

In general, TM’s FUP and implementation is aimed at providing an optimum internet experience to all Streamyx customers by rationalising the internet speed during peak periods (3pm – 1am).

Of late, our traffic profiles are changing quite rapidly, and we are noticing that network congestion can hit different parts of the country at different times of the day or week. When congestion hits, depending on the usage patterns, customers subscribing to the same package but generating different traffic patterns may experience different levels of service performance.

In an effort to ensure a fair distribution of resources amongst all customers at all times, whenever congestion occurs, TM’s network is able to calculate how many users are active at any given time and allocate dynamically the resources across all customers with active sessions.

In rare cases of heavy congestion, we ensure that no customers may get below a minimum threshold of international bandwidth, but there is no ‘ceiling’ to the bandwidth each customer can get.

The problems some customer are experiencing now may have stemmed post a successful pilot of a new traffic management model we ran a few months before, following which we went nationwide about 3 weeks ago. Clearly there is room for improvement and we are working hard to resolve this.

As dynamic allocation of bandwidth requires some specific settings that need to be fine tuned area by area, we elicit and welcome feedback on the experience in different parts of the country at different times of the day. We have set up a special email account where you can send your readings for our review: impact@tm.com.my effective 1 December 2010.

From our analysis, the current traffic patterns are, for most part, in line with our expectations on traffic management, and the speeds being delivered should suffice for a smooth internet experience.

Where the internet experience falls short, we will further investigate both individual cases and the service in its entirety to address specific concerns that they may be facing, and will respond to these customers directly.

Rest assured, TM takes note of all customer feedback to continuously ensure improved customer experience end-to-end.

From a market communications perspective, the FUP awareness campaign is already ongoing and we will further clarify as to the rules we are implementing – and why.

In fact, a bloggers briefing has already been scheduled for 17 December post our engagement with LYN and Kambingz earlier. About 40-50 selected bloggers will be invited to represent the wider blogger community to keep them abreast with our efforts to improve service delivery and customer experience overall, and to seek constructive feedback on these efforts. We hope to address, or at least start to address many concerns at this forum.

We thank you for your continuous feedback and ask for your kind understanding and patience as we work to deliver on our commitment to service quality and overall customer experience.

TELEKOM MALAYSIA BHD

Updated with New Info on How to Complain 28 November 2010!

PROBLEM

TM appears to becapping INTERNATIONAL traffic on certain Streamyx accounts. This has happened for perhaps the past 2 weeks or so.
This is regardless of

a) usage of the user (both low usage and high usage users are affected)
b) type of traffic (HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/P2P are all affected) as long as they are international

I initially posted this on my blog.

SYMPTOMS

1. The caps appear to be hard caps. There is NO fluctuation in speed, it just appears as if it's maxed out at 50 kB/sec. Some 4 mbit users report being capped at 200 kB/sec and I have a 512 customer being capped at about 25 kB/sec and saw some 1 mbit customers having the same thing. It does look like an intentional cap as they are in common multiples.

2. No appearance of packet loss though at times there may be high latencies.

3. Speedtests to local servers except Cyberjaya are fine but speedtest to Singapore/Cyberjaya/any other outside server shows the hard cap speed.

4. This appears to be indiscriminate as it applies to ALL types of international transfers be it http/P2P/FTP.

5. Cap appears to come on a schedule where people are capped in the afternoon then uncapped in the evenings or vice versa. Schedule appears to be different for different people.

HOW YOU CAN HELP/RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE

The problems some customer are experiencing now may have stemmed post a successful pilot of a new traffic management model we ran a few months before, following which we went nationwide about 3 weeks ago. Clearly there is room for improvement and we are working hard to resolve this.

As dynamic allocation of bandwidth requires some specific settings that need to be fine tuned area by area, we elicit and welcome feedback on the experience in different parts of the country at different times of the day. We have set up a special email account where you can send your readings for our review: impact@tm.com.my effective 1 December 2010.

What this means is, if you feel you're experiencing international cap symptoms, you should send your speedtest results to impact@tm.com.my (effective 1 December 2010).

Best way is to enclose speedtest.net reports from SG and Cyberjaya and compare them with the other MY servers and TM's own speedometer.

The info below is deprecated:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

LYN REPORTS:

Many LYN Reports also appear to show the same thing:

badang_1785
MrComot
disket
figure8
myandylai
ericee9
huh?
MX510
Hornet

MY CUSTOMER'S TEST RESULTS
I'll let my customer's report detail it:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by Reuben: Dec 1 2010, 01:48 PM
andy0212
post Nov 22 2010, 07:27 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

My package is 1Mbps but usually max speed about 180KBps

I got this same problem since last week no matter what IP range that I
get..
And since that time also I hardly get my usual good 115 IP
Now only can get 60.48 60.50

Connection to my seedbox server located at USA suddenly can't get more that 50KBps

Filehosting site such as Hotfile and Mediafire also can't get good speed anymore..

Livestream/Ustream also affected.. no more smooth stream..

But got no problem with Youtube...

This post has been edited by andy0212: Nov 22 2010, 07:29 PM
TSReuben
post Nov 22 2010, 07:29 PM

Firo
667 posts

Your hotfile/mediafire also 50? Try doing speedtest.net to sg server
andy0212
post Nov 22 2010, 07:34 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

test hotfile just now.. 45++KBps rarely go more than 60KBps

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

woh.... unsure.gif

http://speedtest.tm.net.my/
DL 1572 kbps (196.5 KB/sec)
UL 436 kbps (54.5 KB/sec)

This post has been edited by andy0212: Nov 22 2010, 07:43 PM
tictac
post Nov 22 2010, 07:37 PM

Group Icon
Elite
2,520 posts

ya if i torrent many file they will capped me at 380speed only. I had to reconnect to gain back my bandwith. sad.gif
soket
post Nov 22 2010, 07:59 PM

♥ chu chu
882 posts

tis r mine

cyberjaya
user posted image

sg
user posted image

london
user posted image

los angeles
user posted image

im lucky? tongue.gif

This post has been edited by soket: Nov 22 2010, 08:00 PM
tictac
post Nov 22 2010, 08:02 PM

Group Icon
Elite
2,520 posts

if i use for normal browsing they wont capped me. But if i torrent many file for long duration the speed got capped down to 0.38mbps only. sad.gif
soket
post Nov 22 2010, 08:06 PM

♥ chu chu
882 posts

QUOTE(tictac @ Nov 22 2010, 08:02 PM)
if i use for normal browsing they wont capped me. But if i torrent many file for long duration the speed got capped down to 0.38mbps only. sad.gif
movie?

last time i heard if u torrent alot files at 1 time ur speed will fall cuz torrent need bandwidth to search for seeder n feeder so try only limit the number of torrent running at 1 time
doi0728
post Nov 22 2010, 08:06 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

same here , im 4mb user , only KL server can reach 3mbs++ , other server like cyberjaya , seri kembangan & sg all 1.3mbs only ..... mad.gif

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by doi0728: Nov 22 2010, 08:19 PM
jimfoa
post Nov 22 2010, 08:09 PM

0 posts

I've encountered a similar problem to your user with international traffic capping for 3 months now (1Mbps package).

a) speedometer - full normal speed of 0.88 Mbps
b) speedtest.net - 25 kB/sec to all international servers (full speed 2am - 11am)

Don't torrent but use Singapore VPN to watch a weekly live video stream which is now unwatchable. I'm assuming this is TM's latest strategy to combat VPN usage.
tictac
post Nov 22 2010, 08:09 PM

Group Icon
Elite
2,520 posts

QUOTE(soket @ Nov 22 2010, 08:06 PM)
movie?

last time i heard if u torrent alot files at 1 time ur speed will fall cuz torrent need bandwidth to search for seeder n feeder so try only limit the number of torrent running at 1 time
yes movie. but i stop all my torrent. then only i test my speedtest. capped down edi. After reconnect to new wan ip resolved back to normal bandwith hmm.gif
pds_disi
post Nov 22 2010, 08:48 PM

On my way
633 posts

happen for weeks for me, disconnect or not, speed at 30kbps....
when malaysia can open the market....
SUSsoundsyst64
post Nov 22 2010, 08:53 PM

I'm No-Longer-Noobs
3,725 posts

I normally don't use speedtest to rate the speed because I might get a sudden burst. I prefer to use direct download to rate the actual download speed, especially from US/Europe/Luxembourg server.

There's no problem with local server, but the speed drops more than half when download from international server. I have to use VPN to fix the routing and get the full speed.
preducer
post Nov 22 2010, 08:54 PM

2,838 posts

im affected too.. after midnight the speed will suddenly burst to full speed.
cannavaro
post Nov 22 2010, 09:01 PM

CATTENACIO
3,001 posts

Probably TM have identified certain accounts with what they deem as 'extremely high bandwidth' usage, and decided to impose a speed cap?
pillowman
post Nov 22 2010, 09:01 PM

43 posts

this problem started exactly 3 weeks ago. Every night at 8pm sharp the routing will go haywire, local server shooting up from 30 ms latency to 300 ms. The speed / bandwidth get shaped to exactly 512 kbps and lower. I am using ping plotter and bandwidth meter to monitor this problem every night.

4 mbps user on 218/175 ip. Shooting email to tm with ping plotter and bandwidth graph. And yes, it returns normal after 2am, and the same problem will come back at 8pm sharp. Definitely the monkeys messed up the routing again.
nkarul85
post Nov 22 2010, 09:16 PM

newbies
1,480 posts

me using unifi

999mb from FS got 180kb sad.gif
andy0212
post Nov 22 2010, 09:19 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(preducer @ Nov 22 2010, 08:54 PM)
im affected too.. after midnight the speed will suddenly burst to full speed.
well atleast your speed back to normal during certain time.. as for me, this problem started since wednesday last week, and until friday last week, only once the speed recover at about 2am and back slow at around 2pm the same day.. haven't test during weekend because i'm away from home.. so later at about 2am i'll monitor the speed again..

QUOTE(pillowman @ Nov 22 2010, 09:01 PM)
this problem started exactly 3 weeks ago. Every night at 8pm sharp the routing will go haywire, local server shooting up from 30 ms latency to 300 ms. The speed / bandwidth get shaped to exactly 512 kbps and lower. I am using ping plotter and bandwidth meter to monitor this problem every night.

4 mbps user on 218/175 ip. Shooting email to tm with ping plotter and bandwidth graph. And yes, it returns normal after 2am, and the same problem will come back at 8pm sharp. Definitely the monkeys messed up the routing again.
your problem is the same as my friend's problem.. but he already got this problem since few months ago..
cannavaro
post Nov 22 2010, 09:21 PM

CATTENACIO
3,001 posts

QUOTE(nkarul85 @ Nov 22 2010, 09:16 PM)
me using unifi

999mb from FS got 180kb sad.gif
That's normal for non-premium accounts
soket
post Nov 22 2010, 09:23 PM

♥ chu chu
882 posts