40 Pages « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Eight Ways To Kill Your HDD, About what NOT to do to prolong HDD life

views

beatlesalbum
post Apr 29 2010, 04:11 PM

Regular
1,711 posts

Sorry, ive done a search on this thread already, so Im gonna ask as a last resort: Any tools to check the physical integrity of the HDD and return a log of the check? Chkdisk of windows doesnt really give you a report, it just checks and repairs. not what i want.
thanks for hearing me out.
abbychan87
post May 12 2010, 11:20 AM

Casual
382 posts

is that use too much of bit torrent will harm the hard disk ?
kokwei2004
post May 12 2010, 03:30 PM

Getting Started
122 posts

Try using Hiren Tools ( HDD Generator )....... Its useful to check HDD for bad sector & errors.
beelze
post May 17 2010, 01:54 AM

10 posts

Pardon my post that is OT, but here are some methods to kill your hard disk

1. Using Active Kill Disk, even for just Zero Fill or worse any of the "utter erasure" formatting methods that it proposes, on your Hard Disk and then suddenly shutting down your PC while it is still formatting and has not yet completed the task... So erstwhile make sure your PC's operation will not be interrupted while undergoing such use of this otherwise excellent software... Unless one wishes to literally kill his/her Hard Disk.

2. Exposing it to high G's, example is 1G or more, such as dropping them from some height.

3. Using your Hard Disks on a 12V rail that provides inadequate amperage, over some period of time.

And so on, and so forth...
Hiwatari
post May 17 2010, 05:15 PM

Think u're good enuff 2 beat me?
1,214 posts

QUOTE(beelze @ May 17 2010, 01:54 AM)
Pardon my post that is OT, but here are some methods to kill your hard disk

1. Using Active Kill Disk, even for just Zero Fill or worse any of the "utter erasure" formatting methods that it proposes, on your Hard Disk and then suddenly shutting down your PC while it is still formatting and has not yet completed the task... So erstwhile make sure your PC's operation will not be interrupted while undergoing such use of this otherwise excellent software... Unless one wishes to literally kill his/her Hard Disk.

2. Exposing it to high G's, example is 1G or more, such as dropping them from some height.

3. Using your Hard Disks on a 12V rail that provides inadequate amperage, over some period of time.

And so on, and so forth...
rclxub.gif
u miss any zero?
1G is the normal condition yo

also the G value varies according to the condition of the hdd
plugged/operating hdd is more fragile
wen_loong7
post May 18 2010, 06:40 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

y my ext hdd once plug in, i open it, terus windows explorer stop working.. can anyone help ?
beelze
post May 23 2010, 05:19 AM

10 posts

uh oh sounds like dead external HDD already wen_loong7, that was also the response of my 500GB Maxtor External Hard Drive last year when it already died on me. Might be only, though, not actually confirming it's dead yet as i have not seen it.
besiegetank
post May 23 2010, 01:35 PM

Enthusiast
880 posts

QUOTE(wen_loong7 @ May 18 2010, 06:40 PM)
y my ext hdd once plug in, i open it, terus windows explorer stop working.. can anyone help ?
I also think it's time for you to sent your HDD to repair (if possible). The reason windows explorer 'hang' is because it can't access the data in your faulty HDD and the process keep looping over and over again. I think. hmm.gif
lilantony
post May 24 2010, 01:15 AM

Getting Started
107 posts

cool thread. i suppose i did a few of them before. but thankfully it hasn't spoilt yet. i'll keep note of it smile.gif
MuhammadFird
post May 24 2010, 01:22 AM

Casual
397 posts

Vibrations, Mortal Enemies of HDDs

Less dramatic but likewise common is the drumming on a somewhat fragile desk or bouncing of objects like bouncing balls of computer cases or simply hitting the case with the vacuum cleaner. This kind of scenario can cause vibrations that are the worst possible scenario for any HDD. If a drive can sustain a shock of 30-50G, the tolerance towards vibrations is usually only 1% of the shock tolerance. Typical values are in the order of 0.5-0.7G. It is happening every day. Transporting systems back and forth to LAN parties falls into the same category, in cases like that I always remove the HDD and transport it separately.

2 pm today, i just dropped my hdd 40gb.. k.o liao.. haha..
beckhowen
post May 24 2010, 11:42 AM

V.I.P
719 posts

QUOTE(besiegetank @ May 23 2010, 01:35 PM)
I also think it's time for you to sent your HDD to repair (if possible). The reason windows explorer 'hang' is because it can't access the data in your faulty HDD and the process keep looping over and over again. I think.  hmm.gif
common issues smile.gif blink.gif
jinggothegreat
post May 29 2010, 03:42 PM

Casual
333 posts

Hah, I've once killed my hdd. its thru heavy multitasking. i mean very heavy.

at that time 3 operation is going on:
1) video encoding of a 720p movie (dun remember what movie)
2) downloading thru torrent
3) my fren streaming video from my pc thru LAN

suddenly the video encoding freezes, my frens video streaming crashes, followed by a scent of freshly baked potato. i looked up to the lampu kalimantang and scream in despair. i thought my cpu or ram got fried. but the hdd was the sacrifice instead. 300+ gigs of media is gone...
besiegetank
post Jun 1 2010, 09:42 AM

Enthusiast
880 posts

QUOTE(jinggothegreat @ May 29 2010, 03:42 PM)

suddenly the video encoding freezes, my frens video streaming crashes, followed by a scent of freshly baked potato. i looked up to the lampu kalimantang and scream in despair. i thought my cpu or ram got fried. but the hdd was the sacrifice instead. 300+ gigs of media is gone...
Did you monitor the temperature of your HDD while you doing those multitasking?Perhaps it can give you a warning to stop.
Hiwatari
post Jun 6 2010, 01:57 PM

Think u're good enuff 2 beat me?
1,214 posts

QUOTE(besiegetank @ Jun 1 2010, 09:42 AM)
Did you monitor the temperature of your HDD while you doing those multitasking?Perhaps it can give you a warning to stop.
hmm...interesting
i hv 1 wd 640
when transferring data...if it gets too hot it'll simply 'disconnected' from the pc
what i mean is there'll b usb notice saying new hardware is found, as if i've unplugged n replugged the usb connector
is this some sort of safety mechanism of the hdd?
happens many times to b considered s coincidence
besiegetank
post Jun 7 2010, 12:19 PM

Enthusiast
880 posts

QUOTE(Hiwatari @ Jun 6 2010, 01:57 PM)
hmm...interesting
i hv 1 wd 640
when transferring data...if it gets too hot it'll simply 'disconnected' from the pc
what i mean is there'll b usb notice saying new hardware is found, as if i've unplugged n replugged the usb connector
is this some sort of safety mechanism of the hdd?
happens many times to b considered s coincidence
I'm not so sure for your case but for mine, when my external HDD started disconnecting from the pc from time to time, it means they will suffer failure later on. Time to backup the data inside.
leyley
post Jun 7 2010, 09:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

Is it means the hdd is about time
cipan2001
post Jul 5 2010, 02:48 AM

W.D -> Lecroy
606 posts

QUOTE(jinggothegreat @ May 29 2010, 03:42 PM)

a bit scary regarding your case.. as my p.c normally act a server for my housemate to watch movie and video..

zkenpachi
post Aug 25 2010, 09:46 PM

29 posts

thanks 4 da info,, icon_rolleyes.gif
johnfarris85
post Aug 31 2010, 06:43 PM

6 posts

Hello,

Thanks for giving the great information about the Hard Disk, really it was awesome.

John Farris
siReh15
post Sep 13 2010, 04:12 PM

11 posts

HDD health is a great application which will monitor hard drives' temperatures. biggrin.gif
Drive needs to have SMARTs but most modern drives have that. Load HDD Health at startup and it sits in the background. Will inform you if critical temp threshold (which you can set) is exceeded and provides a whole lot of other useful info, plus a prediction of HDD health based on its log of your drive's behavior. Freeware from PanteraSoft
I've been using it for a number of years and its a reall spiffy utility thumbup.gif

40 Pages « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0563sec    0.60    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:16 AM