Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Malaysia's 100-storey Mega Tower: Warisan Merdeka, What are your thoughts? Serious Talk

views

TSdylan3008
post Oct 23 2010, 03:40 PM, updated 14y ago

8 posts

FROM MY PERSONAL BLOGPOST : Malaysia's 100-storey Mega Tower: Warisan Merdeka

Most of you must have already be aware of the current issue going on with the proposition of the Government building a 100-storey building after the Budget for 2011 has been announced by our Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

It was announced by PM Najib in the Buget 2011 speech and I quote,

We take pride in our national icon, the Petronas Twin Towers. It signifies the spirit of Malaysia Boleh. Another landmark to be developed by Permodalan Nasional Berhad is Warisan Merdeka, expected to be completed by 2020. This is an integrated development project comprising a 100-storey tower, the tallest in Malaysia. The project will retain Stadium Merdeka and Stadium Negara as national heritage. The total project cost is RM5 billion, with the tower expected to be completed by 2015.
    -extracted from The Star Online (October 2010)

In response to that, a Facebook Page was set up with the purpose of protesting and rejecting the plan to build the 100-storey skyscraper. The number of Facebook users who have joined this page currently stands at 121 191 users and counting. Many of which have typed in their opinions on the proposal. Many are unsatisfied with the project. Many are rejecting the idea.

Before I move on, I would like to make it clear that I am not against the idea nor am I for the idea. I will however state and give out my personal comments and opinions concerning this project.

First of all, in my opinion, for a person who wants to be heard of his comments and protest, one must fully understand the whole planning which is going on. In this case, one must read and understand the Budget 2011. Why do I say so? This is because you cannot start to protest and reject ideas if you do not know the full story behind it. No, I have not read the full Budget 2010, which is why I am staying neutral.

Are you sure that the Government is not making other measures to improve the rakyat's life? Is the Warisan Merdeka the only project which should be given that much attention to? You asked that the 'Mega Tower' Project to be demolished because that huge amount of money can be used for many other better reasons but are you sure that the 'many other reasons' you suggested is not already in the planning?

The next thing would be about the issue of protesting. What does protest mean? So I search in an online dictionary called the Ocford's Advance Learner's Dictionary to find the meaning.

protest (verb)
to say or do something to show that you disagree with or disapprove of something, especially publicly

So to protest is to disagree of something publicly but what is the purpose and outcome of protesting? Will protesting change already made decisions? Have protesting ever worked before? What do you get after protesting?
Yes, by protesting you do get your voice out. You'll be heard but will protesting ever change decisions which are already settled in for? I guess it all depends on different situations.

It is true that Malaysian citizens has to step up to be heard. Besides of just rejecting every single idea that comes in, why not try to give constructing criticism and building useful suggestions instead?

If the 100-storey skycraper project is to go on, which I think it will; I might have some opinions on it. If it's going to be offices all the way to the top, the working hours better not be 9 to 5 or else traffic will be a problem. Of course location location location counts as a very important factor too.

But then again, do we need a building that high? Beside from the height, what's the difference of building a 20-storey office and a 100-storey office?

RM5 billion is in fact a lot of money and I wouldn't like to see it all go to just one building. The one building may have quality in it but I rather see quantity for now. I sometimes prefer quantity to quality.

What I would like to see the RM5 billion to be used on is a project to clean up the whole of Malaysia. Why can't we use it to clean up the streets of Malaysia? I want a Singapore-like street. Budget 2012 maybe?

Besides that, I also know that the Mass Rapid Transit which is a transportation project will also be implemented the beginning of 2011. However, I do hope that the RM5 billion can be used on improving our current public transportation. The KTM, Monorail, LRT, and Rapid buses. Will maintenance be abandoned on these public transportation once the MRT is functional? Just like how the KTM is kind of being abandoned.

I once watched a program whereby it says that Japan's shuttle train is considered late if it is late by 1 minute! 1 minute is considered late? Then I wonder what is an hour considered to be?

Before I end this blog post, I've remembered something I read from the Budget 2011.

The era of “the Government knows best” is over. Therefore, in formulating this Budget, the Government consulted and took into considerations views from various parties comprising the public and private sectors, focus groups, media, 1Malaysia blog as well as lab sessions.
    -extracted from The Star Online (October 2010)

If opinions are collected from the rakyat themselves, then why are we rejecting our very own ideas?

What are your thoughts on the new Budget? Leave me your opinions in the comment section. Yes, we must be heard!
wilsonjay
post Oct 23 2010, 03:40 PM

6 Stars Social Justice Warrior
1,605 posts

not this shit again
TSdylan3008
post Oct 23 2010, 03:42 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(wilsonjay @ Oct 23 2010, 03:40 PM)
not this shit again
no im not dissing the idea. its not about the tower. its more about how malaysians think.
fazlythewarrior
post Oct 23 2010, 03:43 PM

Getting Started
234 posts

i thoughts this is nonsense.
Claire Farron

Getting Started
278 posts

QUOTE(dylan3008 @ Oct 23 2010, 03:42 PM)
no im not dissing the idea. its not about the tower. its more about how malaysians think.
too short, i want a 184 storey mega tower
SUShack3line

29 posts

secara jujurnya

selepas pembinaan menara berkembar KLCC, siap tahun 1998.. tahun lepas tu PETRONAS dapat kontrak di Iran, tahun demi tahun kontrak dari luar negara masuk.

dan pada tahun 2008, PETRONAS berjaya jadi syarikat #8 paling untung di dunia hasil strategi antarabangsanya yang amat berjaya, 80% keuntungan PETRONAS dijana dari luar negara.

aku rasa PROTON pun kena buat bangunan tinggi juga la macam ni.. haha
SUSKal-el

Regular
1,204 posts

QUOTE(dylan3008 @ Oct 23 2010, 03:42 PM)
we should really build it. That building represents my malay pride, standing tall in the most famous city in the world.
SUSdoublezul
post Oct 23 2010, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
175 posts

again this is shit
-Aktan-
post Oct 23 2010, 03:46 PM

2.6b dah masuk bro
873 posts

Just build it and watch BN die... good chance for us to let BN tumbang!!!
SUSMecha_frog
post Oct 23 2010, 03:47 PM

41 posts

so u want pm to decide based on response from fb users???

DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH!!!!
kumanosuke
post Oct 23 2010, 03:56 PM

Enthusiast
717 posts

too lazy to read TS's long essay but somehow i feel "Malay sian's" thinking is similar to our relatives in the middle east

what is TS's take on this ?
SUShack3line
post Oct 23 2010, 03:57 PM

29 posts

PERMODALAN Nasional Bhd (PNB) has studied market trends before deciding to embark on the Warisan Merdeka development, its president and group chief executive Tan Sri Hamad Kama Piah Che Othman says. The 100-storey tower will be a five-star green building which is still uncommon in Kuala Lumpur.

“We believe it will be able to meet the market’s growing need for such office space,” he explained when asked about the rationale for the tower project.

At a time when the world economy is still uncertain and amid rising prices, many Malaysians have questioned the necessity for the RM2.5bil to RM3bil tower project after Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced the project in his budget speech last Friday.

Responding to questions on the project recently, Najib stressed the Government did not instruct PNB to construct Warisan Merdeka and that it was the investment agency’s board of directors that had wanted to embark on the project.

He said the area would be a business centre for both the bumiputra and non-bumiputra, and could be one of the country’s attractions that will generate profit.

Developers and property consultants have urged PNB to undertake extensive and in-depth feasibility and market studies to weigh the cost-benefit and potential impact of the tower on the property market.

The public also wants an environmental impact assessment study to be done on the project to look at the impact to the social system, the traffic situation and suitability of the site.

Most of the concerns are on whether the high-impact commercial development will cause an over supply of office space in the capital city, and the impact of the skyscraper to the worsening of the heavy traffic jams in the area.

There are also a number of schools in the vicinity and the expected heavier flow of the traffic have worried students, parents and the school authorities.

Hamad says PNB is looking to have the mass rapid transit (MRT) plying the Warisan Merdeka route.

“We are aware of the public’s concerns that the traffic jam in the area will worsen with the tower project, and will be working with the relevant authorities to look at ways to improve the infrastucture and traffic flow in the area,” he adds.

Hamad also allays fears that funds from unit trust investors or the Government will be used to finance the project.

He says PNB has enough funds to finance the whole development if need be but he does not rule out borrowings if interest rates are reasonable.

On the project’s positioning, Hamad stresses that the heritage elements of Merdeka Stadium will be one of the central themes and highlights of the project.

If that is the case, industry observers have asked whether PNB will look at introducing a full-fledged culture village around the historical site that can also double up as function destinations to ensure the the project will remain functional.

To avoid the project becoming a “white elephant” like many observers fear will happen, the culture village should be kept alive with interesting cultural performances and events on a daily basis.

Perhaps, the National Museum should be moved there as its historical ambience is the most appropriate to showcase important things and events of the country’s past.

On the rationale for the 100-storey tower instead of vying to be the world’s tallest, Hamad explains: ”We are not competing with anybody in the world in terms of the height of the building. Currently, there are already three buildings being planned at 1000m heights, surpassing Burj Khalifa’s 828m. There will be no end to this sort of competition. So making it the world’s tallest is a non-issue and we would not go into this.

Hamad stresses that the building is not being designed to outshine any particular organisation, including the Petronas Twin Towers which have been and will continue to be Malaysia’s icon.

“We want the building to look architecturally good and acceptable whilst incorporating the green features. These are market expectations in the near future. With this, we can get a reasonable return on our investment on this building.”

Besides being the country’s most famous landmark, the 88-storey Petronas Twin Towers are the world’s tallest twin buildings today. Completed in 1998 at a cost of US$1.2bil, they were the tallest buildings in the world until they were “dethroned” by Taipei 101 which was completed in 2004.

The twin towers also have world renowned Argentine-American architect César Pelli, to thank for its unique and timeless design. The towers were constructed largely of reinforced concrete, with a steel and glass facade which have given them the magical and glittering effect.

On the cost difference between the two projects, Hamad says: “We are comparing relative costs, in terms of the timing of these two developments. Material prices have gone up quite a fair bit. The real yardstick is the return on investment, using current market prices and costs for the building materials and other related costs.”

sos : tanya angie@thestar.com.my

user posted image

This post has been edited by hack3line: Oct 23 2010, 03:58 PM
fazlythewarrior
post Oct 23 2010, 04:02 PM

Getting Started
234 posts

kiamat semakin dekat.
menara semakin tinggi, miskin bertambah miskin,
kaya bertambah kaya.
pemimpin negara dah tak betul buat keputusan.

bersedia sahajalah.
SUSKeith321
post Oct 23 2010, 04:04 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

2019 bankruptcy is getting a lot clearer now
kumanosuke
post Oct 23 2010, 04:04 PM

Enthusiast
717 posts

100 storey for a cultural village, isn't it a bit overkill ? RM5 bil for a cultural village, too much ? common sense ?

I think they are more concerned about the specs of the building rather than the usage of the building after being built

TSdylan3008
post Oct 23 2010, 04:07 PM

8 posts

concentrating on the spec of the building doenst seem like a very good idea to me. but thats my personal opinion. =)
fazlythewarrior
post Oct 23 2010, 04:12 PM

Getting Started
234 posts

warisan merdeka tak payah bina bangunan tinggi-tinggi.
merdeka mende kalau bangunan sejarah sendiri tidak terjaga.

user posted image
seoul,korea selatan
adix4
post Oct 23 2010, 04:15 PM

ich bin eine Katze :3
1,254 posts

QUOTE(fazlythewarrior @ Oct 23 2010, 04:12 PM)
warisan merdeka tak payah bina bangunan tinggi-tinggi.
merdeka mende kalau bangunan sejarah sendiri tidak terjaga.

user posted image
seoul,korea selatan
kau jangan nak troll

bangunan ni arsonist bakar

kita perlu bangunan baru
babybb
post Oct 23 2010, 04:17 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

Seriously im againt this.. Do u think building this shit tower will attrac foreigner to visit our msia. I mean c'mon take a very simple example of spore.. Our so-called neighbour.. Do u think spore is bigger than us? No.. they just a very tiny little small island in the map.. But what do they have? & what do they got? They got a bunch of mat salleh foreigner wondering ard of course.. & 1 thing 4 sure their currency is getting high..

What do we got? Ohh.. the very famous Petronas Twin Tower of course.. & mat salleh? Nope o i can said less.. Honestly as a malaysian i very proud of our Petronas Twin Tower but y dun we consider to take the amount to develop our country just to be like spore? Attrac more foreigner to come visit our msia.. To invest in our msia..

This post has been edited by babybb: Oct 23 2010, 04:21 PM
SUSKal-el
post Oct 23 2010, 04:22 PM

Regular
1,204 posts

QUOTE(babybb @ Oct 23 2010, 04:17 PM)
Seriously im againt this.. Do u think building this shit tower will attrac foreigner to visit our msia. I mean c'mon take a very simple example of spore.. Our so-called neighbour.. Do u think spore is bigger than us? No.. they just a very tiny little small island in the map.. But what do they have? & what do they got? They got a bunch of mat salleh foreigner wondering ard of course.. & 1 thing 4 sure their currency is getting high..

What do we got? Ohh.. the very famous Petronas Twin Tower of course.. & mat salleh? Nope o i can said less.. Honestly as a malaysian i very proud of our Petronas Twin Tower but y dun we consider to take the amount to develop our country just to be like spore? Attrac more foreigner to come visit our msia.. To invest in our msia..
You all dont jealous can?

Chinese got Great Wall of China, Indians got Taj Mahal already, why cant you all just let we Malay build 1 simple building for the Malay pride?

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Bump Topic Topic ClosedOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:56 PM