4,077 posts

Continue your discussions here

Old thread: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/703675

This post has been edited by VincC454: Apr 21 2010, 11:57 AM
orestes
post Apr 21 2010, 12:08 PM

19 posts

im building a MG gundam HD ver.

im not familiar how the water decals or dry decals looks like..

i have applied some on my finished gundam, but not sure whether it's the dry or water... it's just a normal clear sticker that sticks on the plastic part ... but once i applied it, i cant take it off .. kinda if i messed and aligned it senget, nothing i can do about it.. either leave it or peel it off and throw away..

and what top coat is good for white parts? where can i buy it?
rayloke
post Apr 21 2010, 12:44 PM

34 posts

QUOTE(orestes @ Apr 21 2010, 12:08 PM)
im building a MG gundam HD ver.

im not familiar how the water decals or dry decals looks like..

i have applied some on my finished gundam, but not sure whether it's the dry or water... it's just a normal clear sticker that sticks on the plastic part ... but once i applied it, i cant take it off .. kinda if i messed and aligned it senget, nothing i can do about it.. either leave it or peel it off and throw away..

and what top coat is good for white parts? where can i buy it?
Those r stickers..... basically u cannot readjust once u stick it onto surface. However, recent few issues of dengeki hobby had been teaching this again n again..... put some water on the surface of your kit before apply the sticker, with the water trap in between the sticker n surface, u still can readjust the sticker position a little.

HD version should come with a set of waterslide decal. The best way is to cut bit of unwanted part out, use water to test, if not coming out, try dry transfer method.

Dont ask how to do water slide and dry transfer, want to know, go check out v3 of this thread....
shauno
post Apr 21 2010, 01:43 PM

Getting Started
247 posts

guys, another thing. how much different is mr hobby thinner from their paint remover? its almost the same thing right?
orestes
post Apr 21 2010, 01:53 PM

19 posts

thanks for the explanation..
perhaps im gonna take few more pix later tonite...

btw, here a guide i found on the net...
for applying water slide decals..

user posted image
orestes
post Apr 22 2010, 12:06 AM

19 posts

my MG Unicorn HD have these 2 type of decals... can somebody clarify abit more on how these 2 works and the best way to apply them... thanksss... sweat.gif

user posted image
HazardXZ
post Apr 22 2010, 01:28 AM

Getting Started
105 posts

the green on is just a clear sticker...so just peel and paste
and the other one is dry sticker(Gores dan menang) lolx...is a decal that u have to scratch to applied at the
surface body

1st cut carefully the dry decal
2nd place on top of the parts u want to applied(look at the manual instructions which part to applied decals)
3rd take a tape..cut it about 4cm long and stick it on top of the decal...make sure is not lose
lastly scratch it until it stick to the body ..and peel it off...
Here a simple video how to apply smile.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZ31smDJHM

i like to use water base decals...but lazy to find it tongue.gif

hope this help smile.gif

p.s...i think this method have been already post at some old threads... sweat.gif

This post has been edited by HazardXZ: Apr 22 2010, 01:46 AM
orestes
post Apr 22 2010, 08:34 AM

19 posts

thanks so much...
i searched on ebay for water decals and found 1...

im just a noobie... hehe sweat.gif

so that's the dry decal which only have 1 shot of applying it... the process for sure gonna be a suspense thrill for me...
KyoLee
post Apr 22 2010, 09:17 AM

Getting Started
115 posts

orestes, if u free, try visit
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/488910
it pinned above all thread, try check on it
and here...might help u
http://kusakusa.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/h...o-apply-decals/
orestes
post Apr 22 2010, 09:32 AM

19 posts

thankss... the kusaku blog definitely helps alot... biggrin.gif

Added on April 22, 2010, 9:52 ambtw.... yeah, the sticker decals tend to look abit unnatural....
if i want to remove it, do they have any tools or cleaner to do it?
just peeling it off will leave sticky marks ... and the brush it off, will need to rub it ... risky if accidentally hard pressure it while rubbing, might break something...

any polisher or anything to clean them?

This post has been edited by orestes: Apr 22 2010, 09:52 AM
rayloke
post Apr 22 2010, 12:40 PM

34 posts

QUOTE(orestes @ Apr 22 2010, 09:32 AM)
thankss... the kusaku blog definitely helps alot... biggrin.gif

Added on April 22, 2010, 9:52 ambtw.... yeah, the sticker decals tend to look abit unnatural....
if i want to remove it, do they have any tools or cleaner to do it?
just peeling it off will leave sticky marks ... and the brush it off, will need to rub it ... risky if accidentally hard pressure it while rubbing, might break something...

any polisher or anything to clean them?
Try use blue tag for sticker stain. it might work. or even masking tape.

As for how to apply sticker, with the aid of water, that really helps in adjusting the position.

U from KL? There r quite some places offer after market decal. no need ebay....

This post has been edited by rayloke: Apr 22 2010, 12:41 PM
mizzyant1
post Apr 26 2010, 06:40 PM

0 posts

anyone had any idea on what paint should i use to paint my PG strike inner frame...
JuniorTan
post Apr 26 2010, 07:15 PM

21 posts

Why is the hand painting so hard!!!?? I'm using the Mr hobby Oil based paint. Anyone can intro some good tutorial or just telling me the step in an easy way. THANKS!!
ken3230
post Apr 26 2010, 08:23 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

Is there is someone here paint their GUNPLA with marker ?
i have been using Gundam marker silver but its outcome is not satisfly
the color look more like gray not shinny enough
any other marker (no need to be gundam marker) can bring out chrome or at least shinny silver ? thx
orestes
post Apr 26 2010, 08:59 PM

19 posts

using markers or handpainting usually results in uneven paintjob...

for those flat wider surface, markers or handpaint using brush could be done at ease... better control of the strokes and can avoid multiple layered strokes ...

but for complicated and hard to reach surface, will be different story... using airbrush should solve the problem.. but then, not everyone can afford a good airbrush...

if you guys serious to model your gundam to result a clean nice wicked built, invest abit for airbrush ..
markers only good for touch ups...
ken3230
post Apr 26 2010, 10:02 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

ya but so far onli can afford marker cry.gif
Ayam-man
post Apr 26 2010, 10:11 PM

3 posts

Hi guys, anyone know where still got sell tamiya paint and chrome stickers? I have used Mr. Color but faced a big problem. Thanks smile.gif
Ridt_Henshin
post Apr 27 2010, 01:44 PM

Casual
380 posts

i also have nooby quest

1. 1st step is primer right? going for flat look

2. after prime leave to dry till when?

3. once dried start painting right? * is it paint in runner or we cut from runner ?how long do i wait til dried?

4. any links or guide to masking ? i sucked at it.messed up my destiny

4. im using lacquer. so any good formular to combine with the thineer lacquer or is it recommend mr levelling thinner? n hw much paint do i need to take from the bottle?

5. after this panel line right? is it recommend using gundam marker? ( wont it be messy coz cnt rub off excess) or should i use the thinner n pmarker trick.saw at google. but he tried on plastic.not sure.heres link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-n5-urZKIs

6. after this is top coat. and thats it right? ( mr surfacer 1000)

7. would u guys recommend painting or spray can the gundam? thanks

8. oh and i tried painting before.so many brushstrokes.whats wrg? sad.gif doesnt look neat

ive googled alot oledi.il post this in this forum n painting etc

tq ppl smile.gif gonna start soon so just need tips

This post has been edited by Ridt_Henshin: Apr 27 2010, 01:55 PM
inquisytor
post Apr 27 2010, 11:31 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(Ayam-man @ Apr 26 2010, 10:11 PM)
Hi guys, anyone know where still got sell tamiya paint and chrome stickers? I have used Mr. Color but faced a big problem. Thanks smile.gif
You can try AFHobby. There got alot of Tamiya colors and Gaia Notes colors also. Else you can try Hobby HQ, although they don't carry Tamiya anymore, but they have humbrol (another color brand).

Added on April 27, 2010, 11:58 pm
QUOTE(Ridt_Henshin @ Apr 27 2010, 01:44 PM)
i also have nooby quest

1. 1st step is primer right? going for flat look
After you sand down all your nub marks, next would be primer. Doesn't really matter if you going for flat or gloss. Primer is actually quite optional, if you are on a budget, you can skip this step. Priming helps your paint to stick better, and it also provide a coat of uniform colors to paint on so you won't end up with different toning. (exp : if you paint red on red plastic, it looks very red, if you paint red on black plastic, it will look abit darker red. Since our plamo kits comes in different color plastic, priming will make all the plastic same color.)

2. after prime leave to dry till when?
Preferably a day or more if weather is good.

3. once dried start painting right? * is it paint in runner or we cut from runner ?how long do i wait til dried?
My advice is to cut out then paint. If you paint on runner, after you cut, you will need to touch up. Double work. Paint dries pretty fast (referring to Mr. Color paint), if you hand paint, it probably will dry in about an hour, airbrush in about 30 minutes. But still it depends on how much thinner you use. Preferably, leave it overnight just to be safe.

4. any links or guide to masking ? i sucked at it.messed up my destiny
to mask edges, cut your masking tape into small pieces or strip, then mask little bit by little bit. For large area, just cut a piece out and stick on to it. You can also stick a big piece of masking tape on to a part, then use you finger nail or some blunt object to press on the edges to create a line, then use hobby knife to gently slice of the extra tapes. Strongly advice to use ONLY tamiya masking tape. Reason? google it tongue.gif

4. im using lacquer. so any good formular to combine with the thineer lacquer or is it recommend mr levelling thinner? n hw much paint do i need to take from the bottle?
Sigh, this has been answered 2 million times. There's no exact measurement to  thinning. My ratio of paint to thinner is 1:2 or 1:3, depends on how thin I want the color to be. If airbrushing, prefer to thin it ard 1:3 so that it won't dry so fast on mid air during spraying, and wont clog your nozzle oso. If you are hand painting, suggest to get retarder also, so that you paint will dry much slower, thus providing more time for your to slowly paint.

5. after this panel line right? is it recommend using gundam marker? ( wont it be messy coz cnt rub off excess) or should i use the thinner n pmarker trick.saw at google. but he tried on plastic.not sure.heres link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-n5-urZKIs
Topcoat first, then panel line. Panel line can be rub of with hobby thinner or surgical alcohol. use a tissue or cutton butt to gently wipe of excess line.
The video shows a wash method. Which is far more faster and easier and time saving method than using panel line marker. The video explains it all. Go ahead and try it. biggrin.gif

6. after this is top coat. and thats it right? ( mr surfacer 1000)
Top coat > panel line > top coat again. P/S : mr surfacer 1000 is NOT a top coat. I dunno why you bracket it here :S

7. would u guys recommend painting or spray can the gundam? thanks
Spray can can be very hard to control. Hand painting can create alot of brush stroke if you not good at it. Big area can spray can, small area can hand brush. Practice makes perfect.

8. oh and i tried painting before.so many brushstrokes.whats wrg? sad.gif doesnt look neat
ive googled alot oledi.il post this in this forum n painting etc
Could be alot of reason, maybe your paint not thin enough, maybe your brush too hard. Hand painting takes alot of practice. If you going to do hand painting, try doing it layer by layer, slowly build up the coverage.

tq ppl smile.gif gonna start soon so just need tips
This post has been edited by inquisytor: Apr 27 2010, 11:58 PM
ken3230
post Apr 28 2010, 12:39 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

wat different softeren n settle
which i should use for water slide decal
thx for answer

125 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to: