Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Samsung OmniaPRO B7330, Work Smarter with Play in Reach

views

TSuan
post Jul 22 2010, 02:31 AM

On my way
571 posts

thanks emy for the info!

i've managed to flash my phone, 4 times actually! flash with latest firmware B7330DXJE1. funny things is that after it reboot, then some preconfiguration and the phone ask (force) to restart. after restart then the language change to vietnamese!

after some reading and experimenting, B7330DXJE1 actually contain english and vietnam language. find your way to languange setting, set to english and restart again, you will get English again. for those who need chinese, sorry guys.

just playing around a little, Alt key changes from abc to 123 (no pinyin). Sym key is default (meaning to launch ie you need to press n hold).

other differences i'll update later. it's 230 now. need to load back all software and PIM tomorrow.

Added on July 22, 2010, 2:34 amah, default font is different now. not segoe condensed anymore. not sure what font is it. i'll explore more and report.

This post has been edited by uan: Jul 22 2010, 02:35 AM
emy_77
post Jul 22 2010, 06:47 PM

36 posts

Wah so quick. You're so adventurous uan. Hope you'd give more feedback about it before I try it. Are you going to keep the firmware or will you flash back to the old firmware? Some questions:
1) Is it confirmed that the pinyin is gone with this firmware? Will definitely will give it a try if it is. But you're Chinese, aren't you? With the pinyin gone, wouldn't it be hard to write chinese?
2) Does the new font look ok? Any screen capture? I like the current segoe condensed font actually
3) Do you use wifi a lot? Is there a problem of it disapperaring in the middle of surfing with the firmware?
4) Can you try AudioNotes on it to auto-record calls? Does it work?
Thanks for the feedbacks
Regards

TSuan
post Jul 23 2010, 01:07 AM

On my way
571 posts

QUOTE(emy_77 @ Jul 22 2010, 06:47 PM)
Wah so quick. You're so adventurous uan. Hope you'd give more feedback about it before I try it. Are you going to keep the firmware or will you flash back to the old firmware? Some questions:
1) Is it confirmed that the pinyin is gone with this firmware? Will definitely will give it a try if it is. But you're Chinese, aren't you? With the pinyin gone, wouldn't it be hard to write chinese?
2) Does the new font look ok? Any screen capture? I like the current segoe condensed font actually
3) Do you use wifi a lot? Is there a problem of it disapperaring in the middle of surfing with the firmware?
4) Can you try AudioNotes on it to auto-record calls? Does it work?
Thanks for the feedbacks
Regards
seems like only we 2 having the fun rite now... tongue.gif
1) pinyin is gone. vietnamese dont use pinyin. i'm not chinese, i am malaysian!
2) screen capture as below. still dont know what is the font. in registry still stated font name is segoe condensed.
Attached Image

3) aha. i had the problem once today. restart and until now wifi missing thing is OK.
4) sorry emy, try audio note but still the same. 0B and 01-Jan01 at the below bar. I wonder what is the problem.

improvement /findings so far:
1-feels like menu navigation is a lot snappy. or just my feeling?
2-StartUp folder was empty. no those unused application (i.e.Mobile Tracker process)
3-not much difference in other aspect. still looking for update log... sweat.gif
emy_77
post Jul 23 2010, 09:41 PM

36 posts

Unfortunately uan, B7330 isn't as popular as Nokia E71, so, that's why not a lot of responses to the posts smile.gif
1) You know what I mean wink.gif Anyway, good to know pinyin is really gone. Very good reason to upgrade the firmware now. I'll probably upgrade next week. Got some things to do this week, and need the phone in working order
2) Font looks similar. I don't notice any difference
3) So, the wifi bug is still there sad.gif
4) Disappointing sad.gif

About the findings:
1- Nice
2- Should I be worried Startup folder is empty? What's Mobile Tracker? I didn't know it existed until you brought it up. Is it used to track our phone if it went missing? How do I track it?
3- Good luck with looking for the update log. I've been searching and asking around for weeks but nobody seems to know it huhu.. Seems like Samsung just made the firmware but never bothered to inform what it does

Also, for SMS, when I first had the phone, I found it laggy, but now, it seems ok to me. I don't remember what I did to make it ok. However, if you read the forum in the firmware website, they mentioned the new firmware has the SMS laggy problem again. However, if you read post no 6 in this thread,
http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/apps/foru...e-b7330dxjc2-fw
it mentions about using a different csc file. If you have SMS laggy problem, you might want to give this a try

TSuan
post Jul 24 2010, 01:45 AM

On my way
571 posts

yes. sms is a bit lag on repositioning cursor position. but i'm OK with it. dont want to take the risk combining asian pda file with european scs file. anyway, those post were in may.

StartUp folder (in \windows\startup) is where winmo load application and shortcuts when the system started. if you can browse to this folder, you can see 3-4 shortcuts available. this shortcuts launches application / process and some of it stay as background process. even a small process require the hardware resources.

Battery feels last longer. still need to confirm back on this.

Again, all home screen as what it had in previous firmware...
TSuan
post Aug 1 2010, 01:12 PM

On my way
571 posts

update:

i flashed once again my 7330 but now with different CSC file.
Attached Image

what i have:
1. default english language
2. no pinyin
3. back to segoe condensed font (hate this)
4. new sms button working again
5. back to normal speed when typing and cursor repositioning
6. different SYM window:
Attached Image

still haven't try call recording (sorry emy) but i think it would not work neither.

blink.gif

Added on August 1, 2010, 1:23 pmon vito call recording:

"Does VITO AudioNotes record phone calls on all devices?
VITO AudioNotes doesn't record phone calls on Pocket PC due to OS and hardware restrictions. It records phones calls only on Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphones. Sometimes it also doesn't record phone calls on Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphones due to hardware restrictions. Currently VITO AudioNotes does not record phone calls on Moto Q and Samsung BlackJack"

source: http://vitotechnology.com/support.php#2

so, vito audio notes does not record call on wm6.5...

This post has been edited by uan: Aug 1 2010, 01:36 PM
emy_77
post Aug 6 2010, 12:00 PM

36 posts

Hi uan,
Thanks for the update. I still haven't upgraded the firmware yet. Looks like the most functionalities that I want are all there in the new firmware except auto-call recording. Will give it a try soon smile.gif
Just want to ask one thing. What app do you use to show the digital clock at the top-bar? Thank you
Regards
TSuan
post Aug 10 2010, 03:34 AM

On my way
571 posts

it is clock on top. link: smartphone-freeware.com/download-clockontop.html
emy_77
post Aug 20 2010, 01:03 AM

36 posts

Hi uan,
Are you still on the new firmware? Am finally thinking of upgrading it next week. From your feedbacks, everything looks good except the lack of mobile tracker. Should I be worried this is not present? I lost my phone once & having mobile tracker might be helpful
Thanks!
TSuan
post Aug 23 2010, 02:09 AM

On my way
571 posts

hi emy. if you have no problem with current firmware, my advice is just stay with it. unless you want to try something new.

the reason is that i can't find the firmware file for the factory installed firmware. in case for fallback plan. second, i can't find what is the update log for those said 'latest' firmware.

mobile tracker i've never activated it because nothing i hear so far somebody had trace their lost phone from the service.

This post has been edited by uan: Oct 2 2010, 03:06 PM
TSuan
post Oct 2 2010, 03:07 PM

On my way
571 posts

1 month+ without post, i think b7330 not that popular...
but person who choose function over style would appreciate this phone.
blackmarket
post Oct 23 2010, 01:55 AM

Enthusiast
890 posts

this thread is so quiet.

i have some questions to ask.

1.i'm using Digi. when i go setting->connection->gprs, how come it shows celcom internet, celcom mms, and celcom wap gprs?

2. how do i use zero facebook on this phone? i change to connection to my wap already. still not working. any idea?
imranzero
post Oct 25 2010, 07:24 PM

Getting Started
238 posts

proud owner of b7330 reporting in!..

after 2 weeks of using this phone :

-good battery life
-Nice gps locking signal (currently using garmin mobile)
-Great texting device
-Nice keypad layout..using mobile word a lot.

cons:

-browser seems sux..i cannot register the wifi mcd 1st time login..cant browse btm..unable to hit register..duno why.=P
-No custom rom? i google around n show nothing..all using stock factory rom ha?

thumbup.gif

TSuan
post Oct 26 2010, 10:38 AM

On my way
571 posts

bro, try opera mobile (not the java opera mini). it's free and better user experience.
imranzero
post Oct 29 2010, 01:48 PM

Getting Started
238 posts

QUOTE(uan @ Oct 26 2010, 10:38 AM)
bro, try opera mobile (not the java opera mini). it's free and better user experience.
thx for the info..i use mini b4..quite sux..opera mobile 10 ftw!..to those fella who want to get this phone out there..just get it if the price match ur budget..ignore all the bad review about this gadget,i tried it and now become 1 of my best phone i have so far.. brows.gif

most pros >> the battery life..now 3 days with some wifi,texting,receive call..still have 2 more bars.xD
emy_77
post Oct 30 2010, 06:41 AM

36 posts

QUOTE(imranzero @ Oct 29 2010, 01:48 PM)
thx for the info..i use mini b4..quite sux..opera mobile 10 ftw!..to those fella who want to get this phone out there..just get it if the price match ur budget..ignore all the bad review about this gadget,i tried it and now become 1 of my best phone i have so far.. brows.gif

most pros >> the battery life..now 3 days with some wifi,texting,receive call..still have 2 more bars.xD
Yes, I love this phone too. The battery life, as is with all Samsung Windows smartphones (non touch-screen), is amazing (I had i600 before which battery life is amazing too, & that only had 1000mAh, while B7330 has 1500mAh). I upgraded the firmware recently & it made B7330 even better, because my complaint before this was that the alt button toggles between alphabet, symbols/numbers & pinyin (chinese characters), which I don't use. With the new firmware, the pinyin toggle is gone, & so, now it's easier to type because just alphabet & symbols/numbers are available now (note: you'll lose Mobile tracker function with the upgrade though, which I don't use anyway, because it's not everyday you lose your phone tongue.gif). I also like the shortcut 'Alt + letters on keyboard'. Makes it easier to open any app from the home screen. And also, main reason I still stick to Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone) OS rather than move to Windows Mobile Professional or Android etc is the shortcut in the softkey menus, where you can quickly jump to the menu options by typing the number of the associated menus.
About browser, at the moment, I'm still using Opera Mobile 8.65. Is Opera Mobile 10 really that good? Maybe will give it a try later. Infact I'm writing this reply on my B7330 using Opera Mobile 8.65.
My only gripe still is the message button. With i600, I was so used to it opening the message app, so that I can quickly flip through emails & sms, but now, had to long-press before can open it. Short press creates New Message instead. Wish B7330 has an active developer/hacker group (which it doesn't) which can fix issues like this.
I wonder if anyone has bought the new Samsung Omnia Pro 5. It's basically B7330, but with the audio port changed to standard 3.5mm plug instead of microusb, which I wished B7330 has. But actually, other than that, Omnia Pro 5 is a downgrade with smaller screen, lower resolution camera & lower HSDPA max speed.
So, I think overall, after almost a year, I'm pleased with B7330, & hoped that Windows will continue making Windows Mobile Standard phone rather than focusing on the new Windows Phone 7 only (no true multi-task, copy & paste & microsd slot!)
TSuan
post Oct 31 2010, 04:19 AM

On my way
571 posts

agree. this phone is very good, it give me headache for my next phone. application wise, so far, i manage to have all app i need. function wise, it has more function then other new phone (vid call especially). performance wise, good batt life + less hang, i'm very happy with it.

people always mistaken this phone with bb, it is not easy to explain to them...
"kau punya ni blekberi eh?" doh.gif

and if you use iTalk, the iTalk client/dialer is working perfectly.

QUOTE(blackmarket @ Oct 23 2010, 01:55 AM)
this thread is so quiet.

i have some questions to ask.

1.i'm using Digi. when i go setting->connection->gprs, how come it shows celcom internet, celcom mms, and celcom wap gprs?

2. how do i use zero facebook on this phone? i change to connection to my wap already. still not working. any idea?
bro, have you found the solution? i think you better check with digi on the setting. you might need to input them manually.

Faizi
post Nov 11 2010, 03:40 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

Just received my b7330 yesterday. Bought it when my i780 sink in recent flood sad.gif

So far experience is good. Multitasking and speed is also acceptable, can open 5 applications without noticeable lagging on the device.

Being a previous wm professional user, xda zinc, htc touch 3g and i780, my only quirk is I can't copy and paste between application. I copy paste a lot from several application, i.e notes, onenotes to my email when replying emails. Also can't find notes application, although there is a voice note which I don't use.

Is there a workaround for this, or do I have to live without the ability to copy paste between applications?

I have an external charger with my previous i780, is there any similar charger for b7330? Tried searching the web, but can't find any.

emy_77
post Nov 11 2010, 08:01 PM

36 posts

B7330 does have onenotemobile at Start>Application>Office Mobile. However, onenotemobile doesn't sync to Outlook on PC & it also doesn't have Copy & Paste.

Since B7330 is WM6.5, it does have Copy & Paste but only with its native apps like Calendar, Contacts, Email and Tasks (press Menu> Copy/Paste & you can select using shift button + left/right nav pad). Earlier version, like B7320 is WM6.1 & doesn't have Copy & Paste. Some 3rd party apps also have Copy & Paste like Opera Mobile 10 (free) & Documentstogo (paid). For me, to resolve problem with taking quick notes, I use either Task or Wordtogo. For Task, you can write notes at the 'Notes' field, which you need to scroll all the way down to reach. To reach these apps quick, I use the Alt+keypad shortcut which can be customized at Start>Settings>Alt key settings. I assigned Alt+T for Tasks & Alt+W for Wordtogo. I can then Copy & Paste quickly to my email, browser etc

What external charger are you talking about? Wall-plug? Weren't you provided with one when you bought it? Anyway, you can just buy any microusb wall-plug charger at Low Yat or any phone shop

QUOTE(Faizi @ Nov 11 2010, 03:40 PM)
Just received my b7330 yesterday. Bought it when my i780 sink in recent flood sad.gif

So far experience is good. Multitasking and speed is also acceptable, can open 5 applications without noticeable lagging on the device.

Being a previous wm professional user, xda zinc, htc touch 3g and i780, my only quirk is I can't copy and paste between application. I copy paste a lot from several application, i.e notes, onenotes to my email when replying emails. Also can't find notes application, although there is a voice note which I don't use.

Is there a workaround for this, or do I have to live without the ability to copy paste between applications?

I have an external charger with my previous i780, is there any similar charger for b7330? Tried searching the web, but can't find any.
Faizi
post Nov 11 2010, 09:03 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

Hi emy,

Yes I noticed the b7330 come with Office Mobile, but it doesn't have copy & paste like their wm pro siblings. You can sync onenote with microsoft onenote if you have it installed on your pc, just upgrade your office mobile to version 2010, free from microsoft marketplace.

I use onenote to store a lot of notes which act as an email template, so I can use them when replying emails. However, I think I have found the solution for this, since I'm using IMAP for my emails, I just create a template folder and store all my email templates there and sync it the mail application.

Also another feature that the wm standard email application didn't have is the ability to insert quick text in your email. Really useful feature. Wonder why microsoft crippled the wm standard email application when handphone that are using are them meant to be a use as a messaging set.

A standalone external charger, which is a separate case where you put your battery in it, plug in the microusb charger cable and charge your battery. Didn't have to charge your battery through your handset. It came standard with the i780 box set. Really practical if you have more than one battery.

QUOTE(emy_77 @ Nov 11 2010, 08:01 PM)
B7330 does have onenotemobile at Start>Application>Office Mobile. However, onenotemobile doesn't sync to Outlook on PC & it also doesn't have Copy & Paste.

Since B7330 is WM6.5, it does have Copy & Paste but only with its native apps like Calendar, Contacts, Email and Tasks (press Menu> Copy/Paste & you can select using shift button + left/right nav pad). Earlier version, like B7320 is WM6.1 & doesn't have Copy & Paste. Some 3rd party apps also have Copy & Paste like Opera Mobile 10 (free) & Documentstogo (paid). For me, to resolve problem with taking quick notes, I use either Task or Wordtogo. For Task, you can write notes at the 'Notes' field, which you need to scroll all the way down to reach. To reach these apps quick, I use the Alt+keypad shortcut which can be customized at Start>Settings>Alt key settings. I assigned Alt+T for Tasks & Alt+W for Wordtogo. I can then Copy & Paste quickly to my email, browser etc

What external charger are you talking about? Wall-plug? Weren't you provided with one when you bought it? Anyway, you can just buy any microusb wall-plug charger at Low Yat or any phone shop

4 Pages « < 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0270sec    0.21    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:39 AM