TSjoe_mamak
post Mar 20 2010, 11:38 AM, updated 15y ago

Casual
363 posts

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-03...ent_9611395.htm

Old oil used in '1 in 10 meals'
By Wang Yan and Guo Rui (China Daily)

user posted image
An unlicensed factory that refines leftover oil is dismantled by officers from the administration for industry and commerce of Lianyungang, Jiangsu province. Ten barrels of waste oil and 24 empty barrels were seized in the raid. [Wang Chun/File Photo]

SFDA issues emergency warning to restaurants

WUHAN: Immediately after a leading food expert revealed that one in every 10 meals in the country may be cooked with dirty oil, the State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA) on Thursday issued an emergency notice to restaurants nationwide warning them against recycling oil.

Related readings:
Old oil used in '1 in 10 meals' Million tons of swill-cooked oil back on table
Food service providers will be punished if they use illegal cooking oil or oil of an unknown origin. In severe cases, their licenses could be revoked, the notice said.

He Dongping, a food science professor at the Wuhan Polytechnic University (WHPU), told the China Youth Daily on Thursday that people in China consume "about 2 to 3 million tons" of illegal cooking oil every year.

"And the Chinese people's annual oil consumption is about 22.5 million tons, which means a ratio of 1:10," he told the newspaper.

The "illegal cooking oil" is usually made from discarded kitchen waste that has been refined, the report said, adding that the oil, which contains a highly toxic and carcinogenic substance called "aflatoxin", can cause cancer.

He's revelation was a result of a research project he is conducting, along with nine of his students, with the aim of finding an effective way to detect and identify illegal oil used in food production.

So far, no such method has been found, the report said.

According to He's research, the illegal cooking oil business is extremely profitable.

"One ton of cooking oil made from kitchen waste costs only 300 yuan ($44). A barrel of oil makes a profit of 70 to 80 yuan. On average, one person collects four barrels. Even if the oil is sold at half the price of ordinary oil, you could make over 10,000 yuan a month. Even a chore man in the business gets a monthly wage of 2,500 yuan," He told the newspaper.

All efforts to contact He for a comment on Thursday failed.

Wang Chunsheng, who also teaches at WHPU, said "pressure from higher authorities and personal threats" were reasons for the researchers to refuse further interviews.

"He also works with the National Grain and Oil Standardization Committee. Without permits from superiors, releasing related data is not authorized," Wang said.

"The project has been going on for several years, during which time his students have received threats from illegal dealers. Now that his name is out in public, he is worried that his students might get in trouble," he said.

Most of the illegal cooking oil in Wuhan is sold to the under-developed areas of the city, an insider surnamed Liu told China Daily.

Having lived in central Wuhan for over 30 years, Liu said he had talked with some of his friends in the dining business about illegal cooking oil.

"I would say about 80 percent of the oil is sold to the less-developed areas, where regulations aren't too strict and public consciousness on food safety is weak," Liu said.

He said that illegal cooking oil had become widespread in the city for years, but with regulations getting stricter, the business is moving to the suburbs.

"Regulating illegal cooking oil involves several governmental departments, and the SFDA is only concerned with the restaurants," an official with the SFDA said.

"The production process belongs to the quality inspection departments and the Ministry of Health. Once the illegal cooking oil gets into the market, the State Administration of Industry and Commerce (SAIC) will step in," said Chen Hongrang, director of the publicity office with the SAIC.
TSjoe_mamak
post Mar 20 2010, 11:52 AM

Casual
363 posts

More pics. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

http://www.chinasmack.com/pictures/recycle...ll-cooking-oil/
iwan_smtk
post Mar 20 2010, 11:54 AM

XYZ
1,028 posts

omai...
dattebayo
post Mar 20 2010, 11:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,331 posts

thanks to President Mao... Chinese people are soulless and mindless notworthy.gif
obefiend
post Mar 20 2010, 11:58 AM

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilluminati
863 posts

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

literally

but hey.. on the bright side China is now the world leader in recycling used cooking oil. they are going green!

syabas
TSjoe_mamak
post Mar 20 2010, 11:59 AM

Casual
363 posts

More -

http://bbs.news.163.com/bbs/photo/125709973.html
ah liew
post Mar 20 2010, 12:00 PM

エンジンオイル
829 posts

China macam macam ada......
TSjoe_mamak
post Mar 20 2010, 12:02 PM

Casual
363 posts

QUOTE(obefiend @ Mar 20 2010, 11:58 AM)
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

literally

but hey.. on the bright side China is now the world leader in recycling used cooking oil. they are going green!

syabas
I wonder if such practices take place here in Malaysia. I heard rumours that cooking oil is recycled and bleached so it comes out looking as fresh. sweat.gif

Like those goreng pisang stalls and "oil fried ghost" stalls. They use a lot of oil everyday. What happens to that oil?
dattebayo
post Mar 20 2010, 12:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,331 posts

QUOTE(joe_mamak @ Mar 20 2010, 12:02 PM)
I wonder if such practices take place here in Malaysia.  I heard rumours that cooking oil is recycled and bleached so it comes out looking as fresh.  sweat.gif

Like those goreng pisang stalls and "oil fried ghost" stalls.  They use a lot of oil everyday.  What happens to that oil?
they bought the oil from KFC, from what I heard
obefiend
post Mar 20 2010, 12:04 PM

863 posts

I wonder if such practices take place here in Malaysia.  I heard rumours that cooking oil is recycled and bleached so it comes out looking as fresh.  sweat.gif

Like those goreng pisang stalls and "oil fried ghost" stalls.  They use a lot of oil everyday.  What happens to that oil?
if you remember in January - i think i posted the news then - an oil recycling ring was busted in Selangor

i tried to google but cannot find the ori news. Utusan, Metro and BH clear their old news cache after one month. So this recycling ring does exist in MaLIESia
advantt
post Mar 20 2010, 12:10 PM

Getting Started
183 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

i think in malaysia also happen.. those "bizniz minded people" who dun wan to loss revenue they kept using da same oil afta frying sumthing.
you can distinguish the taste between freshly cook with new oil vice versa. another story i heard from my uncle, he is a chief waiter at one hotel in KL, many hotels in the district hires the same contractor who responsible to dispose the oil waste. Im talking about 4-5 stars hotels, my uncle told me that they recycle, filter and treat the oil til it becomes freshly packet cooking oil (you know dat cheap packet2 oil.. anybrand).. hey.. i dun say this is true.. im juz saying my thoughts.. nod.gif smile.gif
TSjoe_mamak
post Mar 20 2010, 12:12 PM

Casual
363 posts

Yeah, often see hawkers using those packets of oil. sad.gif
obefiend
post Mar 20 2010, 12:13 PM

863 posts

QUOTE(joe_mamak @ Mar 20 2010, 12:12 PM)
Yeah, often see hawkers using those packets of oil.  sad.gif
thats why i no longer eat out. I let Vkeong and Sherman Yep do the eating and reviewing for me!

HAHAHAHA
Deimos Tel`Arin
post Mar 20 2010, 12:14 PM

The LYN Kondom Man
4,202 posts

it is a scheme to reduce the population of that country.

it is working as intended.
Deimos Tel`Arin
post Mar 20 2010, 12:14 PM

The LYN Kondom Man
4,202 posts

QUOTE(obefiend @ Mar 20 2010, 12:13 PM)
thats why i no longer eat out. I let Vkeong and xxx do the eating and reviewing for me!

HAHAHAHA

eh dun expose the queen's identity yo.

ah liew
post Mar 20 2010, 12:19 PM

エンジンオイル
829 posts

In fact yes, my aunty who owns the restaurant @ 1Utama (new wing/Rainforest section) called Oriental Cravings, hawkers come & buy recycled oil. But my aunt always rejects them.

I used to tapao b'fast every single day from kopitiam at Senai/JB, I find it tasty but not knowing it's cooked from recycled oil. Did my cholesterol test & the results was really bad. So beware..............
TSjoe_mamak
post Mar 20 2010, 12:26 PM

Casual
363 posts

Oh man. Damn suck, Time to eat at better places.
CleverDick
post Mar 20 2010, 12:30 PM

On my way
644 posts

QUOTE(ah liew @ Mar 20 2010, 12:19 PM)
In fact yes, my aunty who owns the restaurant @ 1Utama (new wing/Rainforest section) called Oriental Cravings, hawkers come & buy recycled oil. But my aunt always rejects them.

I used to tapao b'fast every single day from kopitiam at Senai/JB, I find it tasty but not knowing it's cooked from recycled oil. Did my cholesterol test & the results was really bad. So beware..............
does your cholesterol level fall after stopped eating out?

This post has been edited by CleverDick: Mar 20 2010, 12:44 PM
toothgnasher
post Mar 20 2010, 12:43 PM

Getting Started
202 posts

they don goreng ikan masin kah?
happy4ever
post Mar 20 2010, 12:44 PM

(✿◠‿◠) Queen of Love ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
7,194 posts

alot of stalls use old cooking oil, even malay and chinese stalls

you can smell them from afar. It stinks.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >
Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0156sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:44 PM