Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro byond software update v1.1, 4:3 channels on 16:9 screens

views

DarkNite
post Mar 16 2010, 07:58 AM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
11,040 posts

The only way to get Asstro to pay attention to the customers is to change the Fed Gomen. Get in a Gamen that discourage monopolistic business.
Astro subscribers are all donkeys
...the 'Seven Sins' of Astro below with the hope of 'waking' up subscribers.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

smileguy
post Mar 16 2010, 09:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,019 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Mar 16 2010, 07:58 AM)
The only way to get Asstro to pay attention to the customers is to change the Fed Gomen. Get in a Gamen that discourage monopolistic business.
Latest !! they may go private, they got no worry anyway with Gomen and EPF as shareholders, they wld ensure Asto has no competetors hmm.gif
RAMChYLD
post Mar 16 2010, 10:38 AM

Regular
1,715 posts

They no worry Gomen, but they worry MCMC. MCMC is gomen owned. If MCMC dun take action, next election gomen will pay price...

This post has been edited by RAMChYLD: Mar 16 2010, 10:38 AM
cafee
post Mar 16 2010, 11:50 AM

31 posts

Posted on Facebook

Recently, Astro performed a software update download to deliver a consistent viewing experience for different aspect ratios. This is designed in conjunction with Astro’s software partners and is in accordance with international broadcast and content standards. For High-Definition content, the new software displays the image in its wide-screen format; for standard definition content, the image displays in pillar box mode (with two black bars at the sides) to retain its original proportion and resolution for optimum picture quality.

Following customers' feedback after the software update download, we hear your preference and are working with our software partners to provide feasible viewing options. By the end of this week, we will replace the “Zoom” option with the “Fit to Screen” option for our customers who prefer to view Standard Definition content in full screen. To do this, customers can press the aspect ratio button on their Astro B.yond remote control. However, for the correct proportions and best resolution, Astro recommends that Standard Definition content be viewed via the pillar box mode.

Astro regrets any inconvenience caused as it strives to improve its customer experience. Astro thanks its loyal customers for their continued feedback.
qwerty79
post Mar 16 2010, 12:05 PM

Regular
1,884 posts

QUOTE(cafee @ Mar 16 2010, 11:50 AM)
Posted on Facebook
Recently, Astro performed a software update download to deliver a consistent viewing experience for different aspect ratios. This is designed in conjunction with Astro’s software partners and is in accordance with international broadcast and content standards. For High-Definition content, the new software displays the image in its wide-screen format; for standard definition content, the image displays in pillar box mode (with two black bars at the sides) to retain its original proportion and resolution for optimum picture quality.

Following customers' feedback after the software update download, we hear your preference and are working with our software partners to provide feasible viewing options. By the end of this week, we will replace the “Zoom” option with the “Fit to Screen” option for our customers who prefer to view Standard Definition content in full screen. To do this, customers can press the aspect ratio button on their Astro B.yond remote control. However, for the correct proportions and best resolution, Astro recommends that Standard Definition content be viewed via the pillar box mode.

Astro regrets any inconvenience caused as it strives to improve its customer experience. Astro thanks its loyal customers for their continued feedback.
Zoom replace with fit to Screen. Finally. BTW, why they put the Zoom in the first place?
maxpudding
post Mar 16 2010, 01:24 PM

Getting Started
100 posts

Good news, from the quote posted above and posted on astro's FB notes, astro will give back to its customer the "fit to screen" or the "stretched" option by the end of this week. Enjoice~
AstInst
post Mar 16 2010, 02:03 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

Although I have not seen it (away in Japan working on Ultra HD :-) ) it looks as though the zoom is intended for viewing 4:3 letterbox on a 16:9 TV, which is actually correct.

Perhaps Malaysia is not as ready for 16:9 as we thought we were?
aceedburn
post Mar 16 2010, 02:40 PM

Crazy Musicphile!
552 posts

this is indeed good news. Astro listens to it's subscribers. Way to go!
twL
post Mar 16 2010, 02:45 PM

Photographer
1,146 posts

i left my message on their facebook fans page yesterday,
and today i've got same replied too,
they will replace "stretch" mode by the end of this week,
i hope they wont cheat us,
cant wait for it.. smile.gif
putih
post Mar 16 2010, 02:56 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

QUOTE(AstInst @ Mar 16 2010, 02:03 PM)
Although I have not seen it (away in Japan working on Ultra HD :-) ) it looks as though the zoom is intended for viewing 4:3 letterbox on a 16:9 TV, which is actually correct.

If you see how bad the 4:3 conversion to 16:9 via zoom mode, you will scream like most of us. Malaysia is ever ready for 16:9 if the source is correct ma. We are not stupid and we know the difference between letterbox and anamorphic widescreen too smile.gif

supernothing
post Mar 16 2010, 03:29 PM

super ☆
1,343 posts

QUOTE(AstInst @ Mar 16 2010, 02:03 PM)

only 5hd channels, memang laa tak ready sweat.gif

even rtm pun sampai ke sudah tak broadcast hd. last time a friend told me he finished their installation 5 years ago.

as i was typing this, Astro customer support called me regarding my report to MCMC. i used MCMC online reporting page, typed the complaint last night. they managed to resolve my dispute within the day. NEW RECORD, SYABAS MCMC. so guys, any problems with broadcast, broadband, cellular, just go to MCMC if provider's customer service can't seem to resolve it.
sKyWiR3pT3lTd
post Mar 16 2010, 03:33 PM

Spirits Of Shankly
6,059 posts

QUOTE(maxpudding @ Mar 16 2010, 01:24 PM)
Good news, from the quote posted above and posted on astro's FB notes, astro will give back to its customer the "fit to screen" or the "stretched" option by the end of this week. Enjoice~
Bravo, i think the spy thing worked for them well eh.. brows.gif
TSSiriuslyCold
post Mar 16 2010, 03:39 PM

Regular
1,976 posts

what's wrong with leaving the Zoom option alongside the stretch?

in fact why not justify (whatever that is), stretch, zoom1, zoom2 and zoom3 like my TV has

This post has been edited by SiriuslyCold: Mar 16 2010, 03:40 PM
barista
post Mar 16 2010, 03:44 PM

I want to retire
871 posts

stupid thing to do. i want the stretch mode back.
twL
post Mar 16 2010, 04:01 PM

Photographer
1,146 posts

Dear Mr Tiew,

Thank you for all your feedback to Astro.  We truly appreciate it when customers take time from their busy schedules to provide us with an open and honest feedback about our products and services.

Based on our customer’s preference, we are working with our software partners to provide feasible viewing options.  By the end of this week, we will replace the “Zoom” option with the “Fit to Screen” option for our customers who prefer to view Standard Definition content in full screen.  To do this, customers can press the aspect ratio button on their Astro B.yond remote control.  However, for the correct proportions and best resolution, we recommend that Standard Definition content be viewed via the pillar box mode.

We regret any inconvenience caused and once again, thank you for being our customer.

Best regards,

Jasmin Aksan

Assistant Vice President

Service Recovery Unit

Customer Service Division

i just got 2 email from astro with same content, they wrote my name and account number, they said sorry to me and told me they will replace the "stretch" mode by the end of this week.

i just would like to know is it all b.yond users here also received the mail, or it is because my complaint to mcmc?

by the way, i really happy with the feedback from astro, they promise we can watch in full screen mode latest by this week! smile.gif

This post has been edited by twL: Mar 16 2010, 04:03 PM
neb
post Mar 16 2010, 04:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,234 posts

QUOTE(SiriuslyCold @ Mar 16 2010, 03:39 PM)
what's wrong with leaving the Zoom option alongside the stretch?

in fact why not justify (whatever that is), stretch, zoom1, zoom2 and zoom3 like my TV has
do you think there is enough NVRAM inside byond box to put in all these software codes?
RAMChYLD
post Mar 16 2010, 05:13 PM

Regular
1,715 posts

That's good to hear. Now, about those lies regarding F1 in HD and the 10 HD channels by end of year, and the lies the salesman told me about the channels I asked for when I signed up last year...

This post has been edited by RAMChYLD: Mar 16 2010, 05:13 PM
aressandro10
post Mar 16 2010, 05:41 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

oh well... the world now in peace and become a better place.. it was fun while it last rclxms.gif
TSSiriuslyCold
post Mar 16 2010, 05:46 PM

Regular
1,976 posts

QUOTE(RAMChYLD @ Mar 16 2010, 05:13 PM)
That's good to hear. Now, about those lies regarding F1 in HD and the 10 HD channels by end of year, and the lies the salesman told me about the channels I asked for when I signed up last year...
I dunno - they said they would broadcast F1 on ESPN HD - and they did. did they say it was sourced from HD?
THEALB10N
post Mar 16 2010, 05:52 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

The F1 didn't look too bad, in fact it looked quite good. I would love it if all channels were in widescreen, let along upscaled!

I think you might be getting a little bit too picky.

16 Pages « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0455sec    0.28    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:59 AM