Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Buying Advice Raynox DCR-150 or DCR-250?, Help me select which to buy

views

TSmarcus_dds
post Jan 19 2010, 02:41 PM, updated 15y ago

Getting Started
177 posts

Hi. First of all, hopefully I'm asking in the right place as I did a search and can't find this question asked or answered in this forum.

I've done some research and generally what I gather is the difference between these two lenses are the trade-off between magnification and DoF.

I'm using Canon EOS 1000D and I have kit lenses (18-55) and my nifty-fifty (50mm f/1.8). I'll mostly be taking random objects (like jewelery and watches), flowers, maybe some insects from time to time.

Hope you guys can share a bit on these lenses as to help me decide which I should buy. Looking to get either one real soon so I would really appreciate some input on this.
goldfries
post Jan 19 2010, 02:46 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

the DCR-250 works great on 50mm f1.8 II. on the 18-55, if I'm not mistaken going to like 55mm range you'll see the vignetting kau kau.

user posted image

user posted image

i don't use the DCR-250 often though.
TSmarcus_dds
post Jan 19 2010, 02:50 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

Vignetting won't be TOO big an issue, I guess, since I can just crop it out.

Biggest concern is the DoF might make me not able to take a lot of nice shots.

Conversely if I go with the 150, the DoF will be fine but the magnification might make me cannot take a lot of nice shots.

Something tells me I'm gonna end up buying both (although I still need more input so I know which one to get first).
goldfries
post Jan 19 2010, 02:55 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

sorry, not vignetting, and not at 55mm.

it's that the lens was constructed at such that when you're at 18mm, you'll capture A LOT of the Raynox itself in the photo. biggrin.gif I can show you a sample. works fine from 35 to 55mm range, referring to EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS version.
mizivincible
post Jan 19 2010, 03:02 PM

"They'll be singing que sera sera"
1,633 posts

Get the DCR250 and pair it up with 50mm f1.8. No vignette issue, and u'll get 0.4x magnification. Work on the lighting too as it brings out the best details.

Here're some latest shot with the DCR250+50mm f1.8, you can check the rest of the bug shot in my flickr stream too.

Female Trithermis Aurora -

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Shield Bug -

Mama Lynx -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mizivincible/

Hope it helps.
mizivincible
post Jan 19 2010, 03:05 PM

1,633 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Jan 19 2010, 02:55 PM)
sorry, not vignetting, and not at 55mm.

it's that the lens was constructed at such that when you're at 18mm, you'll capture A LOT of the Raynox itself in the photo. biggrin.gif I can show you a sample. works fine from 35 to 55mm range, referring to EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS version.
I was trying to find the right words too haha. Yeah, it depends on your lens diameter actually. The 50mm has small diameter of 52mm so it fits nicely with the DCR250.
TSmarcus_dds
post Jan 19 2010, 03:06 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

I notice from the construction of the filter that I can't zoom out too narrow and I cannot open aperture too wide coz the filter itself is around 40+mm only.

However, it can be quite an artistic shot, like those opening scene from James Bond movies where there's a circular window open and Bond shoots it and then it turns red. Haha!
fruitie
post Jan 19 2010, 03:08 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,988 posts

Great photos there both goldfries and mizinvicible. thumbup.gif

I'm planning to get Raynox DCR 250 soon, before CNY so that I can have some bugs life shots in the orchard when I pay my uncle a visit during CNY. biggrin.gif

hmm.gif This may sound stupid though but I hope you guys can give me suggestions on shots that can be taken in macro mode? So far commonly I have seen flowers and bugs... Anymore else? smile.gif

I don't want to buy it and use it only once a year. laugh.gif
TSmarcus_dds
post Jan 19 2010, 03:09 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

Nice macro shots you got there mizivincible. In fact I saw your shots in the forum here, that's when I started to read up on this particular filter, then I came across the 150 and wondering if I would be better off trading the magnification away for some DoF advantage.

Right now based on what I'm seeing, I'm still leaning towards 250.

Thanks!
goldfries
post Jan 19 2010, 03:11 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

instead of Raynox, another one to consider are +4 close up filters, which could actually be more useful in some cases.
TSmarcus_dds
post Jan 19 2010, 03:11 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

Fruitie try jewelery and rando textures (like carpet and clothing surfaces). Even water droplets. And food!
fruitie
post Jan 19 2010, 03:16 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,988 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Jan 19 2010, 03:11 PM)
instead of Raynox, another one to consider are +4 close up filters, which could actually be more useful in some cases.
I asked a filters seller before, he says close up filters may don't work as great as Raynox?
Appreciate your input. smile.gif

QUOTE(marcus_dds @ Jan 19 2010, 03:11 PM)
Fruitie try jewelery and rando textures (like carpet and clothing surfaces). Even water droplets. And food!
Water droplets sound cool!
I never thought of food until I saw goldfries' shot up there! rclxms.gif
mizivincible
post Jan 19 2010, 03:17 PM

1,633 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Jan 19 2010, 03:08 PM)

I'm planning to get Raynox DCR 250 soon, before CNY so that I can have some bugs life shots in the orchard when I pay my uncle a visit during CNY. biggrin.gif

hmm.gif This may sound stupid though but I hope you guys can give me suggestions on shots that can be taken in macro mode? So far commonly I have seen flowers and bugs... Anymore else? smile.gif

I use it to take ring shot during wedding event too smile.gif

Depends on how you use it, anything can be captured as long as u want it to be close up hehe. Jewelry etc. And thanks for the compliment miss fruitie biggrin.gif nod.gif
fruitie
post Jan 19 2010, 03:19 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,988 posts

QUOTE(mizivincible @ Jan 19 2010, 03:17 PM)
I use it to take ring shot during wedding event too  smile.gif

Depends on how you use it, anything can be captured as long as u want it to be close up hehe. Jewelry etc. And thanks for the compliment miss fruitie  biggrin.gif nod.gif
Ring shotd, probably I won't have the chance la to snap in wedding. tongue.gif
No problem. smile.gif
goldfries

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Jan 19 2010, 03:16 PM)
I asked a filters seller before, he says close up filters may don't work as great as Raynox?
sweat.gif

nonsense filter seller - they should educate you that those 2 things are DIFFERENT to begin with.

Raynox gives more magnification but it isn't always what one needs.

i used +4 magnification for this......

user posted image

let's take th 50mm f1.8 II. it has quite some MFD and you couldn't go up close to the subject.

Raynox allows you to get up-close to the subject, but what if you want something in between? use the +4 filter then. biggrin.gif

if you want, can even +4 add Raynox to it to magnify further.

this one also with +4 if I'm not mistaken.

user posted image
Uzumaki NaruTo

oro?
4,187 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Jan 19 2010, 03:08 PM)

Your creativity limits to what you want to shoot. When its raining out there this is what i shoot
user posted image
55200+raynox DCR 250. Aiming for tamron sp90 for macrolicios shoot.
fruitie
post Jan 19 2010, 03:22 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,988 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Jan 19 2010, 03:19 PM)
sweat.gif

nonsense filter seller - they should educate you that those 2 things are DIFFERENT to begin with.

Raynox gives more magnification but it isn't always what one needs.

i used +4 magnification for this......

user posted image

let's take th 50mm f1.8 II. it has quite some MFD and you couldn't go up close to the subject.

Raynox allows you to get up-close to the subject, but what if you want something in between? use the +4 filter then. biggrin.gif

if you want, can even +4 add Raynox to it to magnify further.

this one also with +4 if I'm not mistaken.

user posted image
Ah ha, now I see the difference. biggrin.gif
How much is this +4 filter?
mizivincible
post Jan 19 2010, 03:28 PM

1,633 posts

QUOTE(marcus_dds @ Jan 19 2010, 03:09 PM)
Nice macro shots you got there mizivincible. In fact I saw your shots in the forum here, that's when I started to read up on this particular filter, then I came across the 150 and wondering if I would be better off trading the magnification away for some DoF advantage.

Right now based on what I'm seeing, I'm still leaning towards 250.

Thanks!
Thank you for your compliment, glad it helps smile.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Jan 19 2010, 03:22 PM)
Ah ha, now I see the difference. biggrin.gif
How much is this +4 filter?
I got it last time for RM50, Hoya brand.
TSmarcus_dds
post Jan 19 2010, 03:40 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

I'll take this opportunity to link my blog @ http://marcky.wordpress.com/

I will start my Project 365 on my birthday (next week) and there'll be plenty of photos with accompanying blogpost for anyone that might be interested.

Oh and there's other stuff there too. Poetry (original), food reviews, random thoughts. Can surf by category if you got specific interest.

But soon will be a LOT more photography-related things than anything else.

Thanks for the incredible response and input, everybody. Once I buy and get this out of the way, gonna have to start asking about flashes and tripods dy. tongue.gif
chucky
post Jan 19 2010, 05:12 PM

Urang Sabah
1,072 posts

you can also shoot body parts using macro:
user posted image
TSmarcus_dds
post Jan 19 2010, 09:13 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

Ooh! Well, some body parts don't need macro lenses tho doh.gif
nokian
post Jan 29 2010, 10:29 PM

Casual
350 posts

hi,

I 'm also using Raynox DCR250 with EOS1000D.I prefer to use 55-250mm rather than kitlens.It give me more magnification.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44217935@N06/
TSmarcus_dds
post Jan 30 2010, 08:54 AM

Getting Started
177 posts

Those shots you focus from how far actually?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0188sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:13 PM