Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Streaming Music Wirelessly From iPhone to your PC, For iPhone 3G|3GS and iPodTouch 2G

views

TSprasys
post Jun 27 2009, 08:17 AM, updated 15y ago

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

This is a copy and paste from my blog entry. Its a simple tutorial (for PC - sorry it doesn't work with Mac) that allows you to stream music via Bluetooth. Its neat if you want to listen to your songs but you don't want to run iTunes or you don't have it installed

With the release of firmware 3.0 for iPhone 3G/3GS and also for iPod Touch 2G (2nd Generation). Its possible for us to make use of Bluetooth to stream music wirelessly from your iPhone/iPod to your headsets. Its called A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). Well it works great if you have a pair of good headphones but what if you want to stream it to your PC wirelessly which is connected to a stereo -- then you might want to consider this solution.

My main aim is to take advantage of A2DP and make use it of it by using a PC as a “headphone” and streaming music to it. It would be easier to listen to and common , if you’re going to throw a party and if you want users to stream their own collection of music it would be easier -- wouldn’t it. As opposing to connecting the iPhone to your PC/Mac , using third party tools to play it. So I thought since PCs do support Bluetooth and its possible to configure PC’s Bluetooth stack as generally Bluetooth hardware supports it as long the stack does it. So I searched high and low for a stack (software) which allows me to turn my PC into a “bluetooth headphones” , so that iPhone sees it as headphones instead of a PC , thus allowing me to stream music wirelessly . Voila , I’ve found one which supports A2DP “Server Profile” which allows mobile phones that supports A2DP to stream music wirelessly to the PC. Unfortunately it works with Windows only and the software isn’t free. Anyhow , I’ve written a little tutorial on how to get it working all together.

Shall we get to business ? Okay , this what you’ll need :-

* Windows XP/Vista or Windows 7 (Sorry it doesn’t work on MacOS X -- Its because Apple doesn’t allow 3rd party folks to tamper with Apple’s Bluetooth support , making it impossible for folks to write a driver for it)
    * Bluetooth Adapter (Duh Obviously) (Preferably 2.0+EDR or 2.1+EDR)
    * Bluesoleil Bluetooth Stack Software (€ 19.95) (You may download Free version from here which allows you to transfer up to 2MB of data)

Just on a side note : This tutorial does work with other phones which supports A2DP profile as well. Its just that I’ve made it specially for the iPhone !

1. Install Bluesoleli (Before that make sure you’ve removed other Bluetooth software so that it doesn’t conflict with BlueSoleil) and then reboot your PC

2. After that , right click the Bluetooth option and then select Classic View. Hit Control + P or go to Bluetooth --> Preferences . You should see a window which is something like this :-
device1

Click on the picture to enlarge it so that you can get a clearer picture - | Just make sure you change your Device Type from Computer/Laptop to Headset

3. Change your Device Type to Headset and then hit OK

4. Next up click on the sun (aka the centre) and then right click on the headphones icon and click Properties and uncheck Use Secure Connection
pic1

Make sure that you've unchecked Secure Connection. Secure Connection A2DP and iPhone doesn't go together and I don't know why

5. Next up , fire up your iPhone and turn on Bluetooth (Its located in Settings --> General --> Bluetooth ) and wait for a while till your iPhone sees your PC. Select your PC (by taping on its name). It would ask for a passcode. Simply enter 0000 or any passcode that you want it to use. After a while your PC will prompt you to enter the same passcode in order to pair with the device. Enter 0000 again (or any other passcode which you’ve selected earlier). If its paired you should see your iPhone in Bluetooth tool. Right click on it and select Get Services and Get Name. It would then update it with your iPhone’s name (i.e Mark’s iPhone)
IMG_0083

Bluetooth panel is located under General
IMG_0083

Just make sure that its connected and take note of the Bluetooth icon - it should be blue in colour instead of grey

6. After a while , you’ll get this prompt. Hit Yes and put a checkmark on ‘Always do this…’
blah2

When IVT Bluetooth software prompts you for authorisation , simply hit yes to allow iPhone to stream music wirelessly to your PC

7. Fire up iPod/Music application in your iPhone and you should have something like this ! Hit play and voila enjoy.
IMG_0086

Voila - It sees my PC as a bluetoth headset and I am able to play music wirelessly !

Psst , I’ve made a video. Don’t blame me if its sucky as this is my first time. I am generally showing how it works -- so that you can have a clearer picture !
Source : http://prasys.co.cc/2009/06/stream-music-f...-via-bluetooth/
Anyhow here's my (very first YouTube) video which shows it how its done :-

The reason why it doesn't work with MacOS X is because Apple doesn't allow developers to write their own Bluetooth stack for OSX !. So its kinda impossible to make such thing to work with OSX !

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:46 PM